Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Teen Plastic Surgery

Number of Replies: 303
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 05, 2006, 04:46:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 10/13/06) Last year alone, more than a quarter of a million kids had plastic surgery, and it's a growing trend. Nineteen-year-old Krystal says she'll never feel beautiful until she gets breast implants. Her mother, Kristi, and her sister, Katie, have both had plastic surgery -- and want even more -- but strongly object to Krystal doing it. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Diana wants her daughter, Bri, to get plastic surgery on her neck, arms, stomach, thighs and breasts -- and Bri is only 12 years old. Diana believes it will make Bri prettier and help her fit in among her peers. What message is this sending to Bri? Plus, one teen's plastic surgery nightmare taught her a valuable lesson -- the hard way. She hopes her story will be a warning to other girls before they go under the knife. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 7, 2006, 7:10 am CDT

Diana needs surgery herself!

I cant believe this Dianna woman is actually saying that her 12 yr. old daughter Bri needs all that stuff done!!!  I do believe that Dianna needs some brain surgery.....take out some ignorance and put in a little compassion and be a Mother to her child and not judge her so much!!  I feel so bad for that child to live with such a judging stupid person.....that poor child must have NO self esteem!!!!  You NEVER tell a child that they "need to be fixed" because in the same sentance your also saying that "they are broken, or not right!!!"  Shame on you Dianna!!!!  People like you dont DESERVE to be Mothers!!  p.s. Cant wait to see how much "fixing you had to do to yourself"        

DJ Ventura

(Mother of 3 perfect just the

way they are children)

October 7, 2006, 7:55 am CDT

Plastic Surgery on kids for no good reason.....

.....is just crazy. Obviously, there are times when it is necessary. Cleft Pallets etc, but to operate to make what one perceives as improvements on a child is just plain crazy. What message is being given to this poor girl? She should be hearing that she's smart and kind and warm and loving. That's what counts.

I think Mom needs to see a Psychiatrist.

October 7, 2006, 8:01 am CDT

parents please wake up

I think it is so sad when parents can't accept and love their children for the unique and special individuals that God made them to be. When I was a child I was constantly picked on about how fat I was, by my FAT mother. I believe that what that was really about was my moms own insecurities about her weight being projected on to me as a child, because looking back I was a little chubby, but no where as overweight as she was. I believe this mother needs to take a look at her own insecurities and find out why she is projecting this on her daughter. I truly believe if you love yourself enough you will not feel the need to pick on an innocent child. Especially your own child who is vulnerable to your influence. What she is doing, and has done to her daughter is set her up to be "not good enough" for the rest of her life (unless she gets some help). I pray that you can see what you are doing mom because you are going to have to live with the consequences of watching your daughter destroy herself because she wasn't good enough for her own Mom, the one who is supposed to love her unconditionally, so how will she ever be good enough for anyone else. Trust me even with lots of therapy and good counseling that's a message that's pretty hard to get rid of.

October 7, 2006, 8:42 am CDT

How sad for the child!

Diana is the epitomy of the philosophy that parents should have to take courses, be tested for mental stability, and in some cases be prohibited from having children. For any parent to suggest to a twelve year old that extensive plastic surgery will make them more acceptable is nothing more than revealing a persona (Diana) who is so unhappy with herself that she is willing to sacrafice her own child to see if it might make her feel better. This truly has nothing to do with the child but everything to do with Diana. If her child has acceptance issues, it can obviously be placed squarely on the shoulders of this misinformed, sad excuse for a parent. If ever there were a reason for The Department of Childrens' Services initiating an investigation of the family sistuation, it is this one. I hope that someone will quickly step in before this little child is harmed far more than she has already been harmed.

As a former educator, I have seen so many cases of children with poor self-images that can be traced directly to the parents. Sometimes it only takes one meeting to determine why the child is having problems at school. When a child exits a dysfunctional family each morning and attempts to attend school and feel normal, it becomes an almost impossible obstacle for the child. Teachers can often see the saddness in those chidren's faces. They can see the child's inability to concentrate. They can see the child's inability to see value and real worth in himself/herself. Why? Because they have a parent or parents who don't accept them at home; so for the child, they don't believe that they can be accepted by others at school. Many think, "If my parents don't love or like me as I am, how can anyone else"? 

Dr. Phil, I hope you will assist this family in gaining counseling. Most of all, I hope you find someone who can work with this little girl and show her how beautiful, valuable, and unique she is. It makes me sick to see a parent who is almost guaranteeing that they will have reared a dysfunctional adult simply because they are too selfish and hung-up on their own misguided value system. Someone needs to monitor this child's situation until she at least reaches eighteen and can legally escape this cage of horror; that is unless the mother does a complete turn a round which seems highly unlikely.

My thoughts and prayers remain with this little girl for a wonderful and prosperous life, prosperous in the sense that she grows to understand that she is valuable to the rest of us who applaud the uniqueness and beauty of each child, inner beauty.

October 7, 2006, 9:02 am CDT

What do you see?

I've never replied to any subject matter before. This was one I had to voice my opinion on. Let me just say that not everything you see is what appears to be. I'm 36 yrs old and have  Muscular Dystrophy and my ex-wife is 35 yrs old with Spinal Biffida. We both share a beautiful daughter who is now 13 . The doctors said it would be a miracle if the child didn't have a disability and that's exactly what she is.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, it's not what's on the outside that counts but what's on the inside that matters. I've seen teens long for one thing and one thing only and that's love. Wake up America! If we don't love our kids for who they are, how will they ever love what they see?
Plastic surgery will change the outlook but it won't change in-look.

October 7, 2006, 9:21 am CDT

Just wait and sse

Quote From: lypz35

I cant believe this Dianna woman is actually saying that her 12 yr. old daughter Bri needs all that stuff done!!!  I do believe that Dianna needs some brain surgery.....take out some ignorance and put in a little compassion and be a Mother to her child and not judge her so much!!  I feel so bad for that child to live with such a judging stupid person.....that poor child must have NO self esteem!!!!  You NEVER tell a child that they "need to be fixed" because in the same sentance your also saying that "they are broken, or not right!!!"  Shame on you Dianna!!!!  People like you dont DESERVE to be Mothers!!  p.s. Cant wait to see how much "fixing you had to do to yourself"        

DJ Ventura

(Mother of 3 perfect just the

way they are children)

My daughter was the red headed, freckeled little girl with a large space between her unusually big front teeth. She had a very hard time in school with the other girls teasing her. I cannot imagine if she had, had to come home to a mother that only reinforced what the others were saying. What about beauty that comes from within? Or the fact that personality far out weighs outward appearances. Daily as her mother I loved her dearly for the beautiful child that God had given me. In high school she was by far the most beautiful person not only inside but outside as well. She litterally grew up to be absolutly striking!

Wouldn't it have been horrible if I had pushed surgery upon her to change what was growing from within? And what would I have done to her self esteeme? Would she always think a drastic costly fix was the answer to lief's problems?

October 7, 2006, 9:55 am CDT

Teen Plastic Surgery

I think this teen's mother does need help, but not because she is mean or crazy.  I think she needs help accepting and loving herself.  Maybe she grew up with parents who constantly told her she "needed improvement" or "did not live up to expectatons."

She may have lived her entire life as an injured individual.  Doesn't she deserve some compassion along with her daughter? 

Why are people so quick to defend a child, yet tear down a parent who may have lived a sad, hopeless existance himself or herself?  At what age is compassion for someone supposed to stop?  When the person is 12 years old?  Twenty five?  Sixty three?

Just wondering.

October 7, 2006, 10:05 am CDT

Teen Plastic Surgery?

What is this world coming to. I have 3 children. I think they are perfect in every way. Isn't that what love is. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I can't even imagine changing any of my kids. I'm sure someone else might see different. But I can't. My son says he's ugly. I have no idea what he is talking about. My daughter says shes fat. Maybe a little chubby. But I really don't see it. How can a mother who claims to love her kid say she needs plastic surgery. My point maybe she doesn't really like or love her kid. Maybe this kid needs to be removed from her home. The mother definitly needs some heavy duty therepy. Maybe I've gone to far. Maybe I live in a fog. But this is horrible. I'm sure her kid is just fine the way she is.

October 7, 2006, 11:34 am CDT

plastic surgery

Dr. Phil, I have never been so sad.  The mother who wants her 12 year old to have plastic surgery, certianly must have problems with her own self concept.  What kind of message is this sending to her precious little girl.  What has happened to us in America that we feel we have to be perfect.  It greatly concerns me the way the media protrays women.  I have 4 beautiful granddaughters and they are all beautiful.  However, at 16,14, 12 and 8 I have over heard them talking about their looks.  This is too big, that is too small.   What a disaster if they should weigh 100 pounds.  I hope the mother will be open to you for counseling for certainly it appears she needs it.
By the way I enjoy your show.... However if you would  leave off the Damns etc.  I would feel better.  I thing your show is very valuable to those who will take head.
Jean

October 7, 2006, 11:51 am CDT

Self Esteem Issues!

I have watched as my daughters girlfriends have had one plastic surgery job after another. Instead of the parents really looking into the truth of what stands behind these girls low self esteem, low confidence, and looking into a mirror and not liking what they see, they have allowed the changes to their body, and still these girls are not satisfied, and depressed. My daughter would love to have a bigger boosom...but genetics didn't bless her with such. Instead, she has beautiful high cheekbones, thick shiny hair, and a terrific personality, which to  me as her mother is better than having big breasts! I am not her however, so I try and work on esteem issues and have gotten her into school activities which promotes self esteem. I will do what I can as a parent to make sure, if she still wants when she is 18, that if the breasts will enhance her looks, and she feels good about her life, and has worked on the areas of self worth, I will then and only then help her get a breast augmentation with our blessings.

Cheryl  (Utah) and mother of 2 beautiful girls!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last