Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Teen Plastic Surgery

Number of Replies: 303
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 05, 2006, 04:46:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 10/13/06) Last year alone, more than a quarter of a million kids had plastic surgery, and it's a growing trend. Nineteen-year-old Krystal says she'll never feel beautiful until she gets breast implants. Her mother, Kristi, and her sister, Katie, have both had plastic surgery -- and want even more -- but strongly object to Krystal doing it. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Diana wants her daughter, Bri, to get plastic surgery on her neck, arms, stomach, thighs and breasts -- and Bri is only 12 years old. Diana believes it will make Bri prettier and help her fit in among her peers. What message is this sending to Bri? Plus, one teen's plastic surgery nightmare taught her a valuable lesson -- the hard way. She hopes her story will be a warning to other girls before they go under the knife. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 7, 2006, 1:29 pm CDT

12 YR OLD DOESN'T NEED THIS

I know that fitting in with your peers are important but not as important as your self respect which the mother is not giving a good example of. What are people thinking!!!! At the age of 12 a childs body is still forming, hormones are still running a muck .... give it a few years and let the child work it out on their own. The person that this child grows up to be may be different in values than what the mother wants them to be.

October 7, 2006, 4:32 pm CDT

teen plastic surgery

As a mother of two daughters, two stepdaughters, and 4 sons, I am appalled that this woman would even consider allowing evening couraging plastic surgery for her baby.  My 12 year old daughter had a few issues with her weight.  She is thin and muscular because she's a cheerleader and she didn't want to gain a pound.  I had to be ever so careful of the things that I said to her and even about myself.  I am active duty Navy and sometimes I am a little rough on myself about my weight.  Our children can seriously be affected by what issues we have going on with us.  It's sad, but I think Diana should seek help from God and Dr. Phil.  Good luck Diana and Bri.

Concerned parent

October 7, 2006, 5:22 pm CDT

Cheryl - Get Real....

Quote From: louisecan2

I have watched as my daughters girlfriends have had one plastic surgery job after another. Instead of the parents really looking into the truth of what stands behind these girls low self esteem, low confidence, and looking into a mirror and not liking what they see, they have allowed the changes to their body, and still these girls are not satisfied, and depressed. My daughter would love to have a bigger boosom...but genetics didn't bless her with such. Instead, she has beautiful high cheekbones, thick shiny hair, and a terrific personality, which to  me as her mother is better than having big breasts! I am not her however, so I try and work on esteem issues and have gotten her into school activities which promotes self esteem. I will do what I can as a parent to make sure, if she still wants when she is 18, that if the breasts will enhance her looks, and she feels good about her life, and has worked on the areas of self worth, I will then and only then help her get a breast augmentation with our blessings.

Cheryl  (Utah) and mother of 2 beautiful girls!

Yes, you say you are promoting self-esteem in your daughter but if she still needs "boobs" to promote her self-esteem, then you'll get her a lovely pair for a graduation gift?  Why?  Do you subscribe to the Joan Rivers theory of life, that men are stupid and to land one you start with the boobs , then the lipo and so on, and so on.....how about letting your daughter know that her happiness comes from within, that the more fulfilled she is personally the less she needs the approval of others.

October 7, 2006, 8:09 pm CDT

plastic surgery

What the heck is wrong with that 12 year old girl's mom? She hasn't even finished developing into a mature girl and the mom is ready to put her under the knife so she can fit in better? That mom is a nutcase!!!!! Mom needs some serious help. No wonder why kids nowadays worry so much about how they look and if they're fat or popular enough etc. The idea of kids getting plastic surgery just so they fit in is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason children should have plastic surgery is if they have been disfigured due to an accident or have a congenital deformity of some sort.  I have an 11 year old daughter who has Down Syndrome and obviously doesn't look like all of her peers. There is no way that I would even consider ever making her have surgery to make her look different.  Accept your child for who they are.  My daughter has never had problems fitting in. She's generally one of the most popular kids wherever she goes and people just accept her for who she is and not how she looks.

October 7, 2006, 8:19 pm CDT

I agree with you

Quote From: kld_0425

Yes, you say you are promoting self-esteem in your daughter but if she still needs "boobs" to promote her self-esteem, then you'll get her a lovely pair for a graduation gift?  Why?  Do you subscribe to the Joan Rivers theory of life, that men are stupid and to land one you start with the boobs , then the lipo and so on, and so on.....how about letting your daughter know that her happiness comes from within, that the more fulfilled she is personally the less she needs the approval of others.
What kind of message are we sending our daughters? Are we telling them that the only way  they are attractive is if they have big boobs and the perfect look? I am a 31 year old mom of three and have always wanted a bigger chest. But, I have had many friends most of them guys , say that they would honestly be really angry with me if I was to go and get implants.  They say that they are friends with me not because of how I look but because of who I am. That's how it should be. Like people for who they are and not how they look. Looks will fade over the years. Your true friends are the ones who like you for  who you are and not what  you look like.

October 7, 2006, 8:38 pm CDT

it's pretty sad

After I saw the topic about the mom who wants her 12 yr old daughter to get plastic surgery, I had to comment.  Man, that mom would have fun fixing me.  I'm not of typical caucasian beauty (Bigger forehead, big and wider nose for a female, less than AA top), but know people are born to be different and don't have to look "perfect" (I look at the positives of myself- I look young and pass for a teenager when i'm near 30, but will take care of myself naturally when I age).  Plus, the thought of major surgery on something that isn't broken is a pretty scary thought.  What I would be worried about is how this girl will think about herself when she's older when the message that she should fix herself is right in front of her face.  Everyone ages.  Wrinkles, sags, ect.  I can't imagine the thought of young girls growing up and thinking every little line will have to be fixed.  Not all plasic surgery is bad, but it is when it's done for all the wrong reasons.

October 7, 2006, 9:27 pm CDT

Bad Doctors

I'd like to know the Doctor who would do unneeded plastic surgery on a 12 year old!  What an As#hole!  That Doctor should have his/her licence revoked!

October 7, 2006, 9:53 pm CDT

Dianna you need some serious help!!

Quote From: msstl1

As a mother of two daughters, two stepdaughters, and 4 sons, I am appalled that this woman would even consider allowing evening couraging plastic surgery for her baby.  My 12 year old daughter had a few issues with her weight.  She is thin and muscular because she's a cheerleader and she didn't want to gain a pound.  I had to be ever so careful of the things that I said to her and even about myself.  I am active duty Navy and sometimes I am a little rough on myself about my weight.  Our children can seriously be affected by what issues we have going on with us.  It's sad, but I think Diana should seek help from God and Dr. Phil.  Good luck Diana and Bri.

Concerned parent

I agree with concerned parent, absolutely!!  As the mother of 2 sons  & 2 daughters, & the grandmother of 3 delightful little girls, I cannot imagine giving advice such as Dianna's to any child, let alone a12 year old girl.   Dr. Phil, hope you can reach this out-of-control mother -- & I say mother with a large amount of doubt .  How can she even consider herself able to be one to a child when she has this opinion.  The situation is frustrating to me & I feel so sorry for the 12 year old involved. 

Another concerned parent

October 8, 2006, 2:27 am CDT

Understand all the sides

I don’t think everyone is thinking about the big picture.  From one point of view all people can think about a child getting plastic surgery is "How terrible; Our children should be accepted for what's on the inside, not by their external beauty."  But someone who says that is not logically placing himself in the child’s shoes.  The reality of it is that our society is CONSUMED with beauty, with plastic surgery, with the way one looks.  It's a tough, hard, life, I know, but it is what it is and it's not going to be different if one child is taught that society cares about her character more than looks.  It's human instinct to judge the first thing we see-the appearance.  That's not about to change.

That being said, I'm 16 years old and I had a nose job last summer.  I do not consider myself immature- I'm in line to be a valedictorian and received PSAT scores above 77 (out of 80) on each section, so please don't think I'm ignorant or stupid.  I got rhinoplasty because I had thought very carefully about it, and realized that my self-esteem had been so greatly affected by the hump on my nose that it simply wasn't worth the $6,000 I'd save to go through the rest of my life in such emotional distress.  After I got my surgery, I no longer felt like I was being judged by my face, so it was much easier for me to talk to other people, so look at myself, to be a normal teenager.

You're probably wondering what my point is.  I'm trying to say that it is not FAIR or RIGHT for a person to judge whether someone, a child or not, should get plastic surgery, because you don't and WILL NEVER know what that person has gone through.  That would be like a person with a high metabolism telling a fat person about to get liposuction to just go on a diet because diets are what works for thin people.  But that thin person simply doesn’t know what that fat person has gone through, so it’s not up to her to tell the fat person to or not to get liposuction.  As far as I’m concerned, no one should ever judge a person if he got liposuction because he simply couldn't get rid of the weight; people who’ve been thin forever don’t understand what it’s like to be fat; people who don’t have humps on their noses don’t understand what it’s like to have that abnormality; tall people never understand what it’s like to be shorter than everyone else…etc.etc. 

So to all of you who think teenage plastic surgery is wrong, think again.  I hope you will recognize that every person is unique and affected by his own physical faults in his own way, and it is SELFISH, PIGGISH, CRUEL and CRUDE to assume that you know what a person has gone through in his life.

October 8, 2006, 7:16 am CDT

To the mom of the 12 year old

You must really be crazy if you are wanting to put your 12 year old daughter through this type of pain. It will haunt her the rest of her life and affect her self esteem severly if you do this to her. You have to let her decide if she is the one who wants to have the surgery to make her look better it is not up to you. You have this attitude like you are ashamed of what she looks like and that is why you want her to have this surgery so you wont be ashamed of when you go in public. It also sounds like you are humiliating her if you feel that she needs this surgery to make her look pretty. You need to have some help yourself if you are planning on putting your daughter through this torture. In the long run this will affect the whole entire family and there will be issues.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last