Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Teen Plastic Surgery

Number of Replies: 303
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 05, 2006, 04:46:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 10/13/06) Last year alone, more than a quarter of a million kids had plastic surgery, and it's a growing trend. Nineteen-year-old Krystal says she'll never feel beautiful until she gets breast implants. Her mother, Kristi, and her sister, Katie, have both had plastic surgery -- and want even more -- but strongly object to Krystal doing it. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Diana wants her daughter, Bri, to get plastic surgery on her neck, arms, stomach, thighs and breasts -- and Bri is only 12 years old. Diana believes it will make Bri prettier and help her fit in among her peers. What message is this sending to Bri? Plus, one teen's plastic surgery nightmare taught her a valuable lesson -- the hard way. She hopes her story will be a warning to other girls before they go under the knife. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 8, 2006, 9:33 am CDT

Unbelievable

How can a mother even think of having plactic surgery done on her 12yr old daughter!  That's just SICK.  The mother needs psychiatric therapy immediately...before she completely destroys her daughter.  She's telling her daugher that she's not good enough the way she is right now.  The mother has some serious image issues that she is forcing upon her innocent daughter.  I hope Dr. Phil lays into the mother and shows her right from wrong.  She is forever damaging her daughter's self-worth, self-esteem, and self-image!

October 8, 2006, 12:12 pm CDT

SHE IS JUST A CHILD

I think a 12yr old girl should wait because her body is still growing she has just hit puberty and that is already hard enough to deal with why make it harder and more complicated than it already is. she still has a few years to grow into body and her looks. maybe she should wait until she gets out of that awkward stage and until her body has stopped growing because getting that type of surgery will most likely bring the wrong type of attention at a very young age when she may not know how to deal with it . she needs to feel comfortable in her own skin and that surgery wont help her be self confident with what she has now ! 

October 8, 2006, 12:16 pm CDT

Well isnt that disturbing

When I first read about this I couldn't beleive that someone would even consider putting a child through plastic surgery.  It is beyond disturbing to know that  a mother could find her child so repulsive at age 12 to see it fit to send her through the pain of those altering surgeries.  It has become the way of this world, if you dont like something about yourself change it through whatever means possible.  Society is the downfall, it has altered this mothers state of mind to the point where she is thinking more about her daughters outward beauty before she has come to realize that the childs inward beauty hasn't really developed fully.  I am not against people having plastic surgery, especially when there is a good reason like scars from an attack, burn victims, or accident victims. Otherwise, we, the people of this world, should be more concerned about trying to find a way to change societies point of view of beautiful. When it becomes necessary to send a 12 year old through plastic surgery because a mother thinks it needs to be done, it should be a BRIGHT RED FLAG that something is majorly wrong beyond just this one mother's point of view.

October 8, 2006, 1:42 pm CDT

Your still too young to know

Quote From: justini

I dont think everyone is thinking about the big picture.  From one point of view all people can think about a child getting plastic surgery is "How terrible; Our children should be accepted for what's on the inside, not by their external beauty."  But someone who says that is not logically placing himself in the childs shoes.  The reality of it is that our society is CONSUMED with beauty, with plastic surgery, with the way one looks.  It's a tough, hard, life, I know, but it is what it is and it's not going to be different if one child is taught that society cares about her character more than looks.  It's human instinct to judge the first thing we see-the appearance.  That's not about to change.

That being said, I'm 16 years old and I had a nose job last summer.  I do not consider myself immature- I'm in line to be a valedictorian and received PSAT scores above 77 (out of 80) on each section, so please don't think I'm ignorant or stupid.  I got rhinoplasty because I had thought very carefully about it, and realized that my self-esteem had been so greatly affected by the hump on my nose that it simply wasn't worth the $6,000 I'd save to go through the rest of my life in such emotional distress.  After I got my surgery, I no longer felt like I was being judged by my face, so it was much easier for me to talk to other people, so look at myself, to be a normal teenager.

You're probably wondering what my point is.  I'm trying to say that it is not FAIR or RIGHT for a person to judge whether someone, a child or not, should get plastic surgery, because you don't and WILL NEVER know what that person has gone through.  That would be like a person with a high metabolism telling a fat person about to get liposuction to just go on a diet because diets are what works for thin people.  But that thin person simply doesnt know what that fat person has gone through, so its not up to her to tell the fat person to or not to get liposuction.  As far as Im concerned, no one should ever judge a person if he got liposuction because he simply couldn't get rid of the weight; people whove been thin forever dont understand what its like to be fat; people who dont have humps on their noses dont understand what its like to have that abnormality; tall people never understand what its like to be shorter than everyone elseetc.etc. 

So to all of you who think teenage plastic surgery is wrong, think again.  I hope you will recognize that every person is unique and affected by his own physical faults in his own way, and it is SELFISH, PIGGISH, CRUEL and CRUDE to assume that you know what a person has gone through in his life.

For one thing, a 12 year old doesn't know what is best for them at all.  Your 16..... you STILL don't know what is right for you. Teenagers all believe they know everything and what is right for them, saying they have the bigger picture and they are WRONG.
With you being 16 you have a better Idea of what you want, doesn't mean it is always good for ya or it solves anything, but your 3 years older than that of a 12 year old, who is just now entering puberty. Plastic surgery should be the farthest from this lil girls mind. She should be thinking about playing in band, or a sport, or anything else rather than looking like a barbi doll in order to fit in and feel good about yourself. To me, and I am sure to others, it is MORBID. I will say it again, being a teenager and going thru hormones doesn't mean you deserve a plastic make over to feel better.

October 8, 2006, 3:06 pm CDT

Culture and influence

I think the reason why its a growing trend it because of our dumb culture that teaches girl from their early years that beauty is valued and favoured in women (and not in men). Just think about the commercials they have for girls toys, barbie, bratz, myscene etc. They have got more and more shaped with more make up and they always come with brushes and necklaces. oh yeah and starting to come with diamond rings. Another thing is that in order to be beautiful or socially accepted you have to have the "look". Each culture has its "look" and not everyone fits into that because of genetics or excess weight. Women need to be more like men are when it comes to looks, who cares? They always fit in as long as their not jerks.

October 8, 2006, 4:44 pm CDT

I dont think everyone is thinking about the big picture.  From one point of view all people can think about a child getting plastic surgery is "How terrible; Our children should be accepted for what's on the inside, not by their external beauty."  But someone who says that is not logically placing himself in the childs shoes.  The reality of it is that our society is CONSUMED with beauty, with plastic surgery, with the way one looks.  It's a tough, hard, life, I know, but it is what it is and it's not going to be different if one child is taught that society cares about her character more than looks.  It's human instinct to judge the first thing we see-the appearance.  That's not about to change.

That being said, I'm 16 years old and I had a nose job last summer.  I do not consider myself immature- I'm in line to be a valedictorian and received PSAT scores above 77 (out of 80) on each section, so please don't think I'm ignorant or stupid.  I got rhinoplasty because I had thought very carefully about it, and realized that my self-esteem had been so greatly affected by the hump on my nose that it simply wasn't worth the $6,000 I'd save to go through the rest of my life in such emotional distress.  After I got my surgery, I no longer felt like I was being judged by my face, so it was much easier for me to talk to other people, so look at myself, to be a normal teenager.

You're probably wondering what my point is.  I'm trying to say that it is not FAIR or RIGHT for a person to judge whether someone, a child or not, should get plastic surgery, because you don't and WILL NEVER know what that person has gone through.  That would be like a person with a high metabolism telling a fat person about to get liposuction to just go on a diet because diets are what works for thin people.  But that thin person simply doesnt know what that fat person has gone through, so its not up to her to tell the fat person to or not to get liposuction.  As far as Im concerned, no one should ever judge a person if he got liposuction because he simply couldn't get rid of the weight; people whove been thin forever dont understand what its like to be fat; people who dont have humps on their noses dont understand what its like to have that abnormality; tall people never understand what its like to be shorter than everyone elseetc.etc. 

So to all of you who think teenage plastic surgery is wrong, think again.  I hope you will recognize that every person is unique and affected by his own physical faults in his own way, and it is SELFISH, PIGGISH, CRUEL and CRUDE to assume that you know what a person has gone through in his life.

1st off I'm in my 20s (near 30).  I knew how you felt.  I know what it's like to not look like what a model looks like on a cover.  It was very ackward about my outside appearance (Although people thought I was "cute") til I got hit with a chronic illness I will always have.  Sure I take care of my outward appearance looking as nice as I can, but the other "flaws" don't matter as much now since I have other things to worry about.  So, trust me, there was not much to "worry about" (The "emotional distress" line).  I realized that later on.  And, yes, with my "flaws" people accepted me, I dated, and yep, ended up getting married and having a family.    

The point of the story is that a 12 year old, who is still growing in her own body, is getting pressure from her mother to get it done.  i'm sorry, but when someone you love tells you about all your flaws (Been there), you tend to notice it more and your self esteem gets shot down.  And to do it to "fit in" with other people is the absolute "wrong" reason to do anything (Not all plastic surgery is bad, but for the wrong reasons it is).

October 8, 2006, 5:58 pm CDT

Grow up sweetie

You may not consider yourself immature, but your words show otherwise.  Name calling is very immature sweetie pie.  I believe you called the people who were against the teen plastic surgery 'SELFISH, PIGGISH, CRUEL,  and   CRUDE" .   I am very sorry for you that you thought so little of yourself that you though plastic surgery was your only answer.  Bottom line is if you don't like yourself before the surgery, you won't like yourself after.  See the beauty within yourself and the world will see your beauty shine through.

October 8, 2006, 7:11 pm CDT

plastic surgery

I dont really know what to say so here goes I am a seventeen year old female and i had a breast reduction on 04/03/06. I was all for it because my back was beginning to hurt and my bras were beginning to get to expensive cause i couldnt wear the cheap ones anymore. Well I didnt think that my plastic surgeon would screw up the way he did. My right one is bigger than my left and there is extra skin on my left one and my left nipple is bigger than my right one... I wish that I could go back to like March and tell my mom that I didnt want to go through with the surgery. I kinda had a thought that this guy was a quack from the beginning but everyone kept telling me that this guy was so good at his job and they knew people that had work sone by him and everything was good and this and that, but after my surgery I ran into a few people that had had work done by him and they told me that I should have had it done by another doctor. Well now I have to live with these defaults for the rest of my life unless I want to spent more money and go have someone else fix what he messed up. I am just trying to let everyone know that plastic surgery isnt everything it is cracked up to be.

*Kaylyn*

October 8, 2006, 9:50 pm CDT

Plastic Surgery and Young Adults...

Let me just make a statement about this topic as an experienced youngadult from Fort Worth, Texas who's had an elective breast augmentationherself...Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY know what you want, for howlong, how big, at what risks and for how much (now and then later)please don't do it!  I did extensive research on doctors, theprocedure and more.  Not only did I do research about the outsidesource I also realistically analyzed the size of my own chest, myMother's and thereby any closely associated family members.  Afterdoing so I came to a quick realization that my likelihood of growingsupple breasts was slim to none.  Once I completed all of the necessary research, had a conversation with my parents or actually more intimidating than that  my father who grew up in a Southern Baptist home as a preacher's kid in Louisville, Kentucky, I did decide to have the procedure done.  So I personally am very happy with my decision. However, I think it's important as a young woman to consider every aspect involved in doing such a permanent and drastic thing to your body. Do you really want these "things" forever?  I must admit that the only down side of getting larger bosoms is that my back hurst all thetime.  I was quite small before, 32A and went to a 32D (approximatelY)  Please whatever you do just make sure you've done adequate research on all aspects involving the procedure.  Good luck and be careful.  Regards, Laura

October 8, 2006, 10:08 pm CDT

Quote From: knfroggy

I dont really know what to say so here goes I am a seventeen year old female and i had a breast reduction on 04/03/06. I was all for it because my back was beginning to hurt and my bras were beginning to get to expensive cause i couldnt wear the cheap ones anymore. Well I didnt think that my plastic surgeon would screw up the way he did. My right one is bigger than my left and there is extra skin on my left one and my left nipple is bigger than my right one... I wish that I could go back to like March and tell my mom that I didnt want to go through with the surgery. I kinda had a thought that this guy was a quack from the beginning but everyone kept telling me that this guy was so good at his job and they knew people that had work sone by him and everything was good and this and that, but after my surgery I ran into a few people that had had work done by him and they told me that I should have had it done by another doctor. Well now I have to live with these defaults for the rest of my life unless I want to spent more money and go have someone else fix what he messed up. I am just trying to let everyone know that plastic surgery isnt everything it is cracked up to be.

*Kaylyn*

I'm so sorry to hear you went thru that Kaylyn.  Thinking that you can get rid of your back pain  only to have the doctor screw up the surgery (Which I think is a reason to consider plastic surgery- with alot of thought and research done 1st of course since it's major surgery- so your back doesn't get majorly screwed up from all the extra weight in the front).

I can't imagine the feeling you're going thru, but I hope someday you can get closure from this horrible experience.  Good luck with whatever you decide (Whether fixing it or not).

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last