Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Teen Plastic Surgery

Number of Replies: 303
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 05, 2006, 04:46:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 10/13/06) Last year alone, more than a quarter of a million kids had plastic surgery, and it's a growing trend. Nineteen-year-old Krystal says she'll never feel beautiful until she gets breast implants. Her mother, Kristi, and her sister, Katie, have both had plastic surgery -- and want even more -- but strongly object to Krystal doing it. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Diana wants her daughter, Bri, to get plastic surgery on her neck, arms, stomach, thighs and breasts -- and Bri is only 12 years old. Diana believes it will make Bri prettier and help her fit in among her peers. What message is this sending to Bri? Plus, one teen's plastic surgery nightmare taught her a valuable lesson -- the hard way. She hopes her story will be a warning to other girls before they go under the knife. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 9, 2006, 4:27 am CDT

I don't think you understand where I'm coming from

Quote From: princess1

You may not consider yourself immature, but your words show otherwise.  Name calling is very immature sweetie pie.  I believe you called the people who were against the teen plastic surgery 'SELFISH, PIGGISH, CRUEL,  and   CRUDE" .   I am very sorry for you that you thought so little of yourself that you though plastic surgery was your only answer.  Bottom line is if you don't like yourself before the surgery, you won't like yourself after.  See the beauty within yourself and the world will see your beauty shine through.
Even after all that I've said it seems like you still think the same as you did before I wrote what I did.  I'm not trying to attack you, but as I've said before, I don't believe you know what it is like to have a physical defect that causes people to treat you differently.  I've lived life before and after plastic surgery, and for me as an individual, life has been much easier and more pleasant after.  It could have been because I had more confidence in myself and that changed the way I acted around people, therefore changing the way they treated me, or it could have been because other people simply treat more attractive people better.  Whatever the reason, in my case life after my nose job is much better.  I do not regret it, and cannot besides financial reasons imagine why I would wish I had not done it.  Please take the time to research other people's views who have gone through plastic surgery before judging me and my first hand opinion by my age.  Had I not written I was sixteen in there you probably would have assumed I was an adult and treated me like one; adults are just big kids.  They don't magically reach an age where they stop name calling, which by the way I was not doing (and if I were would not be embarassed of it).  I was simply describing the way I perceived people who, like you, fail to understand how emotionally painful it is to have something on the middle of your face that distracts people from seeing you.  I suppose I will forever disagree with your line "Bottom line is if you don't like yourself before surgery, you won't like yourself after" because I have lived through both and know that I didn't like myself before and I like myself after.

October 9, 2006, 5:33 am CDT

Mother is nuts.

This mother needs her head examined.  She is telling her daughter that she is not good enough.  Having any kind of surgery is not a walk in the park.  Doesn't she realize how much pain her daughter will have to endure just so she can "fit in"?  How many times has the mother had plastic surgery?  The only time plastic surgery should be done is for medical reasons such as a breast reduction to eleviate back pain and correct posture.  I had a psychology teacher who told me I had a problem because I wouldn't change me just to satisfy someone else.  If they couldn't accept me for who I am and not what I look like I don't need them for a freind.  Get a grip mom.  Let your daughter decide when she is old enough to make the choice as to if she want's to be a Barbie doll or have people accept her for who she is.

October 9, 2006, 6:42 am CDT

10/13 Teen Plastic Surgery

You may not consider yourself immature, but your words show otherwise.  Name calling is very immature sweetie pie.  I believe you called the people who were against the teen plastic surgery 'SELFISH, PIGGISH, CRUEL,  and   CRUDE" .   I am very sorry for you that you thought so little of yourself that you though plastic surgery was your only answer.  Bottom line is if you don't like yourself before the surgery, you won't like yourself after.  See the beauty within yourself and the world will see your beauty shine through.
I do not think it is wrong but is this child wanting plastic surgery or is it the mothers wishes.  I work with troubled children.  I see some of their struggles but their beauty comes from within.  We have had children in that are not beautiful on the inside but their innocence and personalities make them pull on your heartstrings.  You begin to fight for them because of who they are not what they look like.  Surgery is an adult decision.  I do not think children are finished growing enough to take on surgery at such a young age.  I have a child with a hand that got caught in the sac inside my womb and did not grow properly.  This child of mine doesn't know it is ugly, because he is beautiful.  We had surgery to make the hand more functioning but not to look better.  He plays all sports and is good.  He is not handicapped or different because we do not treat him different.  He is our son and a child of God and is meant to be for a reason.  I would not change him for the world.  Think about how you are talking to this sixteen year old girl who had nose surgery.  She is fragile and amongst a lot of peer pressures and life pressures.  If this helps her so be it.  No it will not make her a different person but if it helps her feel better so be it.

October 9, 2006, 7:40 am CDT

you still need to grow up

Quote From: justini

Even after all that I've said it seems like you still think the same as you did before I wrote what I did.  I'm not trying to attack you, but as I've said before, I don't believe you know what it is like to have a physical defect that causes people to treat you differently.  I've lived life before and after plastic surgery, and for me as an individual, life has been much easier and more pleasant after.  It could have been because I had more confidence in myself and that changed the way I acted around people, therefore changing the way they treated me, or it could have been because other people simply treat more attractive people better.  Whatever the reason, in my case life after my nose job is much better.  I do not regret it, and cannot besides financial reasons imagine why I would wish I had not done it.  Please take the time to research other people's views who have gone through plastic surgery before judging me and my first hand opinion by my age.  Had I not written I was sixteen in there you probably would have assumed I was an adult and treated me like one; adults are just big kids.  They don't magically reach an age where they stop name calling, which by the way I was not doing (and if I were would not be embarassed of it).  I was simply describing the way I perceived people who, like you, fail to understand how emotionally painful it is to have something on the middle of your face that distracts people from seeing you.  I suppose I will forever disagree with your line "Bottom line is if you don't like yourself before surgery, you won't like yourself after" because I have lived through both and know that I didn't like myself before and I like myself after.
I would have said you were immature no matter what you would have put for your age, because your post is immature.  Adults who name call are just as immatuer as kids.  I do need to redirect your points though, I am not one of the "beautiful" people.  I have spent most of my life being told by people "your would have been so pretty if you would fix your face".  Maybe when you grow up you will understand that people with your kind of attitude are part of the problem and none of the solution.  I am sorry you let what other people think of you be such a focus on how you see yourself.  Remember that outer beauty does not last forever , but inner beauty is timeless.

October 9, 2006, 6:34 pm CDT

I would have said you were immature no matter what you would have put for your age, because your post is immature.  Adults who name call are just as immatuer as kids.  I do need to redirect your points though, I am not one of the "beautiful" people.  I have spent most of my life being told by people "your would have been so pretty if you would fix your face".  Maybe when you grow up you will understand that people with your kind of attitude are part of the problem and none of the solution.  I am sorry you let what other people think of you be such a focus on how you see yourself.  Remember that outer beauty does not last forever , but inner beauty is timeless.

You couldn't have said it better princess1  :).  Letting other people's attitudes determine on what you do is not a good thing.  And until there is proof that your nose hump is a deformity, I think the same.  I'll add my "flaws" so you know I have some:  Big and wide nose (I'm caucasian), less than AA top (Smaller than A), tall forehead.  Most people have their "flaws" and don't look like magazine covers.  I know my parents would've locked me up before I had plastic surgery done as a teen (And unless there's a good reason, I will use the same on my kids).  I haven't had anything done yet.  I've also learned you can't please everyone, no matter what you look like.  I just think something like a major surgery like this should not be left up to what a young person thinks (Major surgery on something that threatens your health is a different story). 

So, Justini, I know you're trying to put your opinion on this (And having your own opinion is a good thing), you're not going to convince everyone, especially those with more years on their age and those who have kids of their own.

October 9, 2006, 8:24 pm CDT

Teen Plastic Surgery

Quote From: skj1564

This mother needs her head examined. She is telling her daughter that she is not good enough. Having any kind of surgery is not a walk in the park. Doesn't she realize how much pain her daughter will have to endure just so she can 'fit in'? How many times has the mother had plastic surgery? The only time plastic surgery should be done is for medical reasons such as a breast reduction to eleviate back pain and correct posture. I had a psychology teacher who told me I had a problem because I wouldn't change me just to satisfy someone else. If they couldn't accept me for who I am and not what I look like I don't need them for a freind. Get a grip mom. Let your daughter decide when she is old enough to make the choice as to if she want's to be a Barbie doll or have people accept her for who she is.

The part where you say, ' I had a psychology teacher who told me I had a problem because I wouldn't change me just to satisfy someone else.'.

Nice role model of a teacher (Sarcastic).  What kind of comment is that??!!??? (Unless it was typed wrong, but it sounds like that teacher just tore you down).

The time of my life when I decided to be myself (When I was a young teenager, not following the fashion and thinking at the time) was when I truely became happy with me. 

I can't wait to see this episode and what Dr Phil will say about this.

October 9, 2006, 9:43 pm CDT

Quote From: lillskr

The part where you say, ' I had a psychology teacher who told me I had a problem because I wouldn't change me just to satisfy someone else.'.

Nice role model of a teacher (Sarcastic).  What kind of comment is that??!!??? (Unless it was typed wrong, but it sounds like that teacher just tore you down).

The time of my life when I decided to be myself (When I was a young teenager, not following the fashion and thinking at the time) was when I truely became happy with me. 

I can't wait to see this episode and what Dr Phil will say about this.

I wrote and caught a mistake, so i thought I'd correct it  :)

I meant:

"The time of my life when I decided to be myself (When I was a teenager- young adult, not following the fashion and thinking at the time) was when I truely became happy with me.  "

My whole point is when I got sick around that time (I wasn't sick as a young teen, but was when I was older),  I realized what really matters.

Like anyone cares about the mistake, but I like to correct myself so I actually make sense :)

October 10, 2006, 7:00 am CDT

Maybe I'm wrong, too

Yesterday, I took my 15-year-old daughter to see a plastic surgeon.  She is just five feet tall and wears a 38DD.  She weighs about 150... she's lost 10 pounds since school started this year.  The visit was the result of an indirect consult, but I think we ended up with a pretty good doctor.  We discussed (all three of us, I just had gastric bypass so I'm not volunteering anyone else for surgery right now) things like her weight (current as opposed to "ideal"), how much tissue would have to be removed to get her to the size she wants vice how much has to be removed to satisfy the insurance company, maybe she should wait until 18 because she may grow some.  She does have head and back aches, and she does have some indentation on her shoulders, even though I try to buy her the gel padded straps almost exclusively.  We'll talk about it for a few days or weeks, and then she'll decide.  I don't want to push my child under the knife, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable when we have the means to remedy it.  On the other hand, I think 12 is a bit young.  When my daughter was 12, she was a A cup and wore a girl's size 12. I think it's a bit early to tell at that age.   I can't imagine a doctor with any type of integrity touching a child that young unless it's  for something like a disfiguring birth defect or accident.  At 12, almost all kids look funny... it's their job.  And if they don't look funny, their classmates will tell them they do.  Could this be Munchausen's by Proxy (not sure of the spelling), or just a warped parent who needs some quality time with a mental health professional?

October 10, 2006, 7:13 am CDT

Sad Society, But Reality

In today's society thin is in and any everything else is out. This concept is in the magazines, bill boards,  T.V and this is America's Social norm. In every 10 young girls from the ages 6-13 every 10 young girls want to look like the girls in the magazines. We as a society have no one to blame but ourselves because we as Americans have aloud this dysfunctional mind brain washing to exist. Our young of today are being brain wash and don't have a clue. Now if you have young people falling in this dysfunctional trap just imagine older adults. They have also falling into the traps of illusion. Me personal I have two beautiful daughters and from birth I have instill in them that they are beautiful. To love there wonderful shapely bodies. Call in some serious good positive brain washing because today if you don't instill certain qualities in your child's head society will do it for you. I have a 15, and a 11 year old and they are brain wash by my rules. Love yourself, and work with what God has given you. Beauty comes from deep inside. There has not been one day that has gone by that I haven't  told my girls that they are smart, and can do anything that they want to and most of all that they are beautiful. I was raised that way, and I was blessed that way, however, it is sooooooo sad a lot of people wasn't praise like this, so how can they pass this down to their kids. This becomes a Sad cycle generation after generation a dysfunctional society. A dysfunctional society that we live in today. A Sad Society, But Reality.    

October 10, 2006, 7:38 am CDT

Poor Kids

This is a sad story right here.  Why is it kids today are so messed up, with the feeling of being ugly or even feeling out of place.  I believe it has a lot to do with parents.  I was a foster kid most of my life. I have met many teens that had a horrible self asteem.   I have noticed that if you tell your kids everyday how much they mean to you, and how much they fit in this world it really will impact your childs way of thinking.      I tell my children everyday how beautiful they are and how much they mean to me.  When they are feeling bad about something I always reassure them that everything will be alright, I always let them know that they are smart and capable of doing anything they set thier minds to.  I rarely hear the words, "I Can't" come out of my childrens mouth, and they always turn to me for help with school work or anything they dont understand.   I just believe that parents can make a difference alot more than they think they can. 

I have friends who are not as close as they should be with their children, if we dismiss our children often then they loose interest in you as well and that is something that is hard to get back.  I never confide in my real parents at all.   I have a friend whose daughter knows way to much for her age, and they never get along.  I have met people who tell their children to get away from them, I have met people who tell thier children they are stupid and to shut up.  If your not there for them, they will end up with a low self esteem. They will become distant. 

I am not saying that the people on this show are bad, I am just saying maybe they should take alook at thier children and see what they missed, because believe or not its our job to see it, not anyone else's.  These parents need to find out what is going on with thier children.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last