Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Teen Plastic Surgery

Number of Replies: 303
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 05, 2006, 04:46:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 10/13/06) Last year alone, more than a quarter of a million kids had plastic surgery, and it's a growing trend. Nineteen-year-old Krystal says she'll never feel beautiful until she gets breast implants. Her mother, Kristi, and her sister, Katie, have both had plastic surgery -- and want even more -- but strongly object to Krystal doing it. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Diana wants her daughter, Bri, to get plastic surgery on her neck, arms, stomach, thighs and breasts -- and Bri is only 12 years old. Diana believes it will make Bri prettier and help her fit in among her peers. What message is this sending to Bri? Plus, one teen's plastic surgery nightmare taught her a valuable lesson -- the hard way. She hopes her story will be a warning to other girls before they go under the knife. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 10, 2006, 7:55 am CDT

I agree

Quote From: lypz35

I cant believe this Dianna woman is actually saying that her 12 yr. old daughter Bri needs all that stuff done!!!  I do believe that Dianna needs some brain surgery.....take out some ignorance and put in a little compassion and be a Mother to her child and not judge her so much!!  I feel so bad for that child to live with such a judging stupid person.....that poor child must have NO self esteem!!!!  You NEVER tell a child that they "need to be fixed" because in the same sentance your also saying that "they are broken, or not right!!!"  Shame on you Dianna!!!!  People like you dont DESERVE to be Mothers!!  p.s. Cant wait to see how much "fixing you had to do to yourself"        

DJ Ventura

(Mother of 3 perfect just the

way they are children)

You are absolutely right.  People should be there for thier children, not try to fix them.  I have children as well and I believe they are wonderful each one is so unique, and I love them so much I could never tell them there is something wrong with them.  One of my children is schizophrenic and he is ok with that he speaks freely of it, and because I have taught him it is okay he is open with others about it, and other children and parents are supportive of him, and considerate of him.  My son is even in normal classes, because everyone believes he is just as normal as anyone else.  I am proud to be his mom and I would never change him or trade for anyone else. 

So when you say shame on that mother I agree. She should feel ashamed of wanting a different child.

October 10, 2006, 8:02 am CDT

Your Not wrong

Quote From: llfarrow

Yesterday, I took my 15-year-old daughter to see a plastic surgeon.  She is just five feet tall and wears a 38DD.  She weighs about 150... she's lost 10 pounds since school started this year.  The visit was the result of an indirect consult, but I think we ended up with a pretty good doctor.  We discussed (all three of us, I just had gastric bypass so I'm not volunteering anyone else for surgery right now) things like her weight (current as opposed to "ideal"), how much tissue would have to be removed to get her to the size she wants vice how much has to be removed to satisfy the insurance company, maybe she should wait until 18 because she may grow some.  She does have head and back aches, and she does have some indentation on her shoulders, even though I try to buy her the gel padded straps almost exclusively.  We'll talk about it for a few days or weeks, and then she'll decide.  I don't want to push my child under the knife, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable when we have the means to remedy it.  On the other hand, I think 12 is a bit young.  When my daughter was 12, she was a A cup and wore a girl's size 12. I think it's a bit early to tell at that age.   I can't imagine a doctor with any type of integrity touching a child that young unless it's  for something like a disfiguring birth defect or accident.  At 12, almost all kids look funny... it's their job.  And if they don't look funny, their classmates will tell them they do.  Could this be Munchausen's by Proxy (not sure of the spelling), or just a warped parent who needs some quality time with a mental health professional?

Your not wrong for wanting to help your child.  She is awfully young to have to carry around such pain in her neck, back, and shoulders.   Your daughter is hurting because she has over developed for her age, and that can sometimes happen.  If you can help then, do everything you can for her.  If surgery is the only way then maybe that is what is needed.    Dont feel bad for wanting to help your child.   In the end it will work itself out.  Stay strong for yourself and your daughter.  Your both in my prayers.  Good luck to you.

October 10, 2006, 8:16 am CDT

ForJustini

Quote From: justini

Even after all that I've said it seems like you still think the same as you did before I wrote what I did.  I'm not trying to attack you, but as I've said before, I don't believe you know what it is like to have a physical defect that causes people to treat you differently.  I've lived life before and after plastic surgery, and for me as an individual, life has been much easier and more pleasant after.  It could have been because I had more confidence in myself and that changed the way I acted around people, therefore changing the way they treated me, or it could have been because other people simply treat more attractive people better.  Whatever the reason, in my case life after my nose job is much better.  I do not regret it, and cannot besides financial reasons imagine why I would wish I had not done it.  Please take the time to research other people's views who have gone through plastic surgery before judging me and my first hand opinion by my age.  Had I not written I was sixteen in there you probably would have assumed I was an adult and treated me like one; adults are just big kids.  They don't magically reach an age where they stop name calling, which by the way I was not doing (and if I were would not be embarassed of it).  I was simply describing the way I perceived people who, like you, fail to understand how emotionally painful it is to have something on the middle of your face that distracts people from seeing you.  I suppose I will forever disagree with your line "Bottom line is if you don't like yourself before surgery, you won't like yourself after" because I have lived through both and know that I didn't like myself before and I like myself after.

I do not think anyone is trying to bash your way of thinking.  You are young and maybe the surgery was a good thing for you.  What other people are thinking is just simply why a person believes thier child should be butchered for no reason.   For a little girl to have that much surgery to benefit herself and her parents, is just a little more upseting to people.  You must understand that.  You may not agree, and I dont see you as being immature you seem very mature and know how you feel.   Most children dont honey, my kids dont know everything but if they feel bad they ask me what to do.   You dont have to agree with everyone that is what makes the world and people interesting, always remember that.

October 10, 2006, 9:21 am CDT

Taken To The EXTREME

It is very sad when parents start endorsing their teens to have plastic surgery.  It sends the message 'You are different, we need to change you to fit in."  I know this because at the age of 7 I had plastic surgery on my face to remove a birth mark.  I wish I had say in it way back then!  Now I have a 4 and 1/2 inch scar on the side of my face.  I am 34 and could have it 'worked on' to make it less visable.  But why?  It's part of me.

October 10, 2006, 1:19 pm CDT

10/13 Teen Plastic Surgery

Quote From: llfarrow

Yesterday, I took my 15-year-old daughter to see a plastic surgeon.  She is just five feet tall and wears a 38DD.  She weighs about 150... she's lost 10 pounds since school started this year.  The visit was the result of an indirect consult, but I think we ended up with a pretty good doctor.  We discussed (all three of us, I just had gastric bypass so I'm not volunteering anyone else for surgery right now) things like her weight (current as opposed to "ideal"), how much tissue would have to be removed to get her to the size she wants vice how much has to be removed to satisfy the insurance company, maybe she should wait until 18 because she may grow some.  She does have head and back aches, and she does have some indentation on her shoulders, even though I try to buy her the gel padded straps almost exclusively.  We'll talk about it for a few days or weeks, and then she'll decide.  I don't want to push my child under the knife, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable when we have the means to remedy it.  On the other hand, I think 12 is a bit young.  When my daughter was 12, she was a A cup and wore a girl's size 12. I think it's a bit early to tell at that age.   I can't imagine a doctor with any type of integrity touching a child that young unless it's  for something like a disfiguring birth defect or accident.  At 12, almost all kids look funny... it's their job.  And if they don't look funny, their classmates will tell them they do.  Could this be Munchausen's by Proxy (not sure of the spelling), or just a warped parent who needs some quality time with a mental health professional?
I am glad to hear you are willing to help your daughter with this. I have two friends who as adults were able to reduce their breast size and they are so glad. They say the pain was worse than they thought because they had lived with it for so long they were used to it. They wish they could have done it sooner in life. Both used to have severe back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, and headaches. Now this has been releived. Let it be her choice, but let her know you stand beside her with any choice!! Kudos to you! You are a good parent for understanding. This is obviously NOT for society it is for her health.

October 10, 2006, 4:53 pm CDT

What's wrong with this picture?

I can't believe a motherwould tell her 12 YEAR OLD they need plastic surgery to fit in!!! I am in in High School and have never considered surgery even though I don't "fit in". Dianna needs to wake up! There is no sc=uch thing as "fitting in" it's a fairy tale, a urban legend, no matter what you look or act like someone will always find something to make you stand out and push you away. Your daughter is beautiful the way she is I can't believe you, as a mother would try and change her! Looks are not what makes a person, I have met some beautiful people in school, but they are just disgusting even with those looks, because their personalitys suck. It's the inside that counts! She's only 12, and telling her she needs to look different, do you know what kind of blow to a kids self esstem can take from that?!! 

If I could only express through this post how upset I am right now. You're her mom aren't you?! I realize I am being a little curel, but  you need to accept your daughter as is! No surgery can change your daughters beautiful personality, so why cahnge her apparence??!!

Your daughter will never find qualities about her self that she likes if she doesn't like her self she'll only find qualities that she doesn't like, and she'll never find those good qualities until someone else finds them for her! No one can find a good qualitiy because it takes someone to tell them how much they love them the way they are and you don't need to change, that's when someone can truly see how beautiful they are!

Dianna telling your daughter these things cause her to question whether she's good or not, or have her think that maybe if I get the surgery mom will like me more. Do you want to put you're daughter through that? I know like all mothers, you love her, but does she know? Dianna wake up and realize no one's perfect, and surgery can't make you perfect?

(sorry I think I got carried away) 

October 10, 2006, 6:44 pm CDT

A comedians point of view

He says: Brittany spears got a breast augmentation when she was sixteen. You know you dont reappolster your couch when it brand new. You just got those things let them grow first.

When your 12 your still growing especially the breasts so that could cause physical problems.

A 1st impression is one thing so it important to always make a 2nd impression to show who you really are because you dont look the same forever but you can always be the same person.

October 10, 2006, 6:56 pm CDT

What is beautiful anyway?

Why do people need surgery for that anyway? We all have a different opinion of beauty. What you find nice, others might not. I dont even like the way they look in magazines, I've never been jealous. God made us this way for a reason and he made us look all different too so we could reconize each other and be attracted to different people. If we all got surgerey, we would look the same, we wouldnt reconize each other and we would lose variety. The problem is that people have this mentality that diversity is ugly and that clones are pretty.

October 10, 2006, 8:19 pm CDT

You are beuitful

I grew up in a home that in order to love others you have to love your self the way God made you. For a parent to say to thier own child that they need to get surgery to fit in is nuts and that parent has a major problem with thier selves. Espsecially if they do not in any way form or fasion have any health related issues at all. I can see it if you have health related issues and need to get it  to help. But to just get it be so called beutiful. Everyone is beutiful in thier own way. When those girls who do not need the surgery wake up the next day they will be the same person with the same feelings and be miserable in their own skin and guess what they will want to change again down the road  because it just isnot good enough for them., because oh my goodness someone laughed at me or looked at me the wrong way so I have to go get some more work done.  No one in this life time is ever perfect or will ever be better than anyone else. I would love to tell these women that do this only for looks that they are loved just the way they are by someone who could care less if thier boobs are bigger or what ever they "fix" on themselves.God loves them and God cares for them and no surgery on this earth will change that or the way you feel towards yourself. God Bless Becky in Idaho

October 10, 2006, 8:34 pm CDT

10/13 Teen Plastic Surgery

Quote From: sadie2doxy

I am glad to hear you are willing to help your daughter with this. I have two friends who as adults were able to reduce their breast size and they are so glad. They say the pain was worse than they thought because they had lived with it for so long they were used to it. They wish they could have done it sooner in life. Both used to have severe back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, and headaches. Now this has been releived. Let it be her choice, but let her know you stand beside her with any choice!! Kudos to you! You are a good parent for understanding. This is obviously NOT for society it is for her health.
I am glad you are waiting. God has a way of changing girls from the awkward stage to the confident stage. I have three girls and two boys. And no matter what I always tell them they are beutiful. Yes when she gets out of high school then it should be her decision to do the surgery. most will if the have physical problems. I have alot of friends who have back problems and want to get a reduction. i think that it a good thing especially if it is effecting your life. You are a good mom for waitng.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last