Message Boards

Topic : Love Being Single

Number of Replies: 393
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:07:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you single and loving it? Share your story with other happy singles!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 11, 2008, 9:44 pm CDT

Love Being Single

I am a male in my early 20's and have never been in a relationship. I am attracted to women there is no doubt about that but I have never felt a compulsion to hit/flirt with women and in fact have rejected several womens sexual advances, I want to be in a relationship, but for whatever reason just can't any thoughts.

June 17, 2008, 9:37 am CDT

Love Being Single

Quote From: shellyza01

I really love taking a walk to the Chapters/Indigo/ or big retail bookstore near my place and just curling up on one of those really comfy chairs and grabbing a random book and sipping a hot chocolate with whipped cream :P

Not that I'm a total introvert, but this sort of time really lets you relax your mind, and press pause on your regular stress/drama

If you're not used to reading books, start off with fiction first, it might get you in the mood. If you want something intellectually stimulating, first find out what topics you'd be actually interested in knowing more about, or something that you identify with.

If you're somebody who likes to theorize about your life, choosing a modernized easy to read short book on psychology would be great; if you're someboyd who's religious but doesn't know enough about your own religion, choose a small easy to read book preferably with pictures and colours or large print about history, or theories, (it depends on what you like)

The key is, always start off with something simple or you'll be scared away and not read anything, and progress slowly. And I don't go inside a bookstore or a library unless I know that it has comfy chairs  or a sofa, and maybe a coffee shop ;)

A good suggestion would be asking your friends or asking somebody who works at the bookstore what would be a good book to start off with for somebody newly interested in _____(insert topic here)_____ and that you don't want to be scared off by something too academic.

Making friends with people who are a lot of fun, and a good laugh but  like to talk about intellectual things as well can also be motivating, because you're learning but you also want to contribute to the conversation, so you want to learn more.

To add to these great suggestions, I'd like to recommend a book: Harmonic Wealth by James Ray. It deals with all five pillars of your life (financial, relational, mental, physical, and spiritual) and shows you how to create true wealth (as in well-being!) in your life. The very practical applications have made a big difference in my life – and could do the same for you.

I'm obviously a pretty big James Ray fan.

Here’s the link: harmonicwealth.com/read

July 1, 2008, 4:15 pm CDT

Being single is perfect

I like being single. and I think that it is better to live without someone to care about and think of. I dont like resbonsbilities. Having a close friend is something I hate. because when he/she cheats on us. we will be broken inside and will not trust people again easly. That doesnt mean that I dont have friends,It means that I dont have close boyfriends or girlfriends. I was cheated before and I dont want to live the same experiance again. If I want to tell any one about my problems, I will find no one but my mom. the only one who will never hate me

August 31, 2008, 8:23 pm CDT

I love being single!

I love being single. I can come and go as I wish. I don't have to think "what will he think,say or do if I go and do this??" I can go out polka dancing if I wanted to and it would be ok. Nobody to argue with. No one to give me a hard time. Besides they say marriage is an institution well who on earth wants to be in an institution?? I would rather be on my own. I love being independent. Can do and say as I want. I got GOD,Family and Friends and thats all I'll ever need. I don't need a man to get on with my life. A man will not complete me for I'm already completed. I just love being single and I can not lie it's a fact that I can't deny.

September 19, 2008, 2:27 pm CDT

I love being single

Quote From: lioness901

I love being single. I can come and go as I wish. I don't have to think "what will he think,say or do if I go and do this??" I can go out polka dancing if I wanted to and it would be ok. Nobody to argue with. No one to give me a hard time. Besides they say marriage is an institution well who on earth wants to be in an institution?? I would rather be on my own. I love being independent. Can do and say as I want. I got GOD,Family and Friends and thats all I'll ever need. I don't need a man to get on with my life. A man will not complete me for I'm already completed. I just love being single and I can not lie it's a fact that I can't deny.

AMEN!!!!! Why does everyone think you need someone else to make you happy? I'm single, happy and have a very peaceful life. Everyone that's in a relationship complains all the time and then they ask, "Aren't you lonely"? I tell them "What is lonely"? I like my own company and when I want company I can pick up the phone. I'll tell you when I was lonely, and that's when I was married!

Nobody ever talks about happy single people. We do exist!!!! God bless you,

November 5, 2008, 12:00 pm CST

just a thought

Quote From: daveqphil

I am a male in my early 20's and have never been in a relationship. I am attracted to women there is no doubt about that but I have never felt a compulsion to hit/flirt with women and in fact have rejected several womens sexual advances, I want to be in a relationship, but for whatever reason just can't any thoughts.
Its not that you can't, you just havent found the right girl, I KNOW I KNOW, it sounds cliche but its very true. Some women might not have that IT factor that gives you enough interest to find out more about them or even look twice at them. Some one will come along that will make your eyes either pop out, or mind go crazy because you want to know everything about them. Throwing sexually advances isnt really relationship quality, you seem like substance and a good conversation and something great to look at might steer you in the right direction.

November 5, 2008, 12:35 pm CST

What?

Quote From: lilqt72688

Well, I am 19 years old I am now trying to have a boyfriend, i likehim a lot, he cares about me, he actually tells me he loves me and I don't know how I feel and it is coming between us.  I mean I do want to be with him but I still have urges to do my own thing, I haven't given in to those urges, but I can't control them.  I mean I did tell him I loved him twice before, once when I was drunk, and once when we were crying and having an emotional talk, and at those times it is what I felt.  Well, my past is like this,  when I was 14, I had a boyfriend who cared about me a lot, and still to this day he wants to be with me but I was new to the whole dating thing and told him I wasn't ready for love and moved on.  My second boyfriend, lied, cheated, and all the above.  The third one was just like the first, too much love too fast.  Then the fourth one, I never trusted him but cared about him, spent a lot of time with him, and come to find out, he hwas cheating on his girlfriend for me. Then after that I was single and that was two years ago, now I want love and I don't know how to feel it. HELP PLEASE

YOU ARE TOO YOUNG to even go through any of this...let me tell you from experience. Im 23 years old and I've had more boyfriends then I've been on earth! lol, im no slut but I liked liking boys it was fun to date them not commit. That's why I had so many, and I loved them all to a certain degree. The urges your feeling is called Freedom and Youth...please follow that intution. You do love him or them...whatever. But you want to have fun and you have every right sweetheart. When u really fall for a guy in your adult years where u can enjoy sex, commitment, romance, and agree to disagree moments, you can really cherish those moments and saying I LOVE YOU might just spill out your mouth like a can of soup! believe me take your time to get to know these guys Date more people enjoy your youth find your self first, the more experience the better. Then that way you can pick the right guy for you instead of settling...U should be picking that future guy...who wants to waste time on losers? ;-)....

November 8, 2008, 9:28 pm CST

hahaha Awesome

Quote From: lioness901

Sweetie, I honestly loved your input. And as a strong women myself I agree. Not sure how old you are but I feel at least 10 years younger then me I'm guessing of course. I love my God, I have a great family, and some sincere friends also. But life is balance, and understanding that simply. What's your balance in life and love? We all need some support in some way.

Sincerely, Joyce

November 8, 2008, 9:35 pm CST

You are great

Quote From: newzaon

YOU ARE TOO YOUNG to even go through any of this...let me tell you from experience. Im 23 years old and I've had more boyfriends then I've been on earth! lol, im no slut but I liked liking boys it was fun to date them not commit. That's why I had so many, and I loved them all to a certain degree. The urges your feeling is called Freedom and Youth...please follow that intution. You do love him or them...whatever. But you want to have fun and you have every right sweetheart. When u really fall for a guy in your adult years where u can enjoy sex, commitment, romance, and agree to disagree moments, you can really cherish those moments and saying I LOVE YOU might just spill out your mouth like a can of soup! believe me take your time to get to know these guys Date more people enjoy your youth find your self first, the more experience the better. Then that way you can pick the right guy for you instead of settling...U should be picking that future guy...who wants to waste time on losers? ;-)....

For 23 years old.... YOU HAVE A OLD SOUL..... You gave great advice and made me smile. I talk at high schools trying to guide teens or give advice at least. Keep it up.

February 2, 2009, 5:05 pm CST

Being Single

Well after reading through a few pages here, I gotta put my 2 cents in.

I am not scared to be alone, I’m just sick of being lonely. Thing is though is that I have chosen it. I am focused on career, and that requires a lot of moving, and traveling. I really don’t think that it is fair to get involved in a stop start relationship, and the other thing is that it is really hard to meet people that way as it is (that’s a whole topic by itself).

I am a fiercely independent person as well, which seems to be the feel of this topic. I have had the broken heart, and I am sure have broken a few myself. Thing is though is you gotta keep trusting in people.

I’m not telling you to give the keys to the condo to a 2 date kinda thing. I’m talking your projection of it into the world. You have to trust in your own self to find people that are worth trusting.

The other thing is a relationship is with someone. Not just the person that you are sharing a bed with. So are you really single? We all love our friends, they truly are the answer to our family. The relationships that you have with them are just as deep and just as real as anything sexual. To me this is being “single”, but not single.

I on the other hand am single. Isolated, and never in the same place twice... kinda thing.
I have to admit that it is convenient to be single, it allows me a pick up and go lifestyle, but I miss real human contact, for a prolonged period of time.
A good chess partner if you will.
That is being single.

That’s just my 2 cents.

First | Prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Next | Last