Message Boards

Topic : Love Being Single

Number of Replies: 393
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:07:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you single and loving it? Share your story with other happy singles!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 13, 2009, 10:52 pm CST

Love Being Single, hmmmmm!!!!

Interesting question to think about but yes, single and loving it. I have been up, down, and in between it seems in relationships. I was married at twenty-one, ended that myself eleven years into the relationship due to complications of wanting a little help around the house. I have a son who was five at the time of the breakup. It’s now been eleven years since my divorce and I have been in three other long term relationships and the last one pretty much broke me. I now have a four year old daughter who doesn’t have her father to help raise her and see her off to bed each night. I have to think of my ex with her new boyfriend raising my child and to top it she tells me how my daughter doesn’t listen to either of them. Baby’s mommy also sees my daughter and how she wants to be with me all the time and how she gives me no problems to a minimal. I can only give mommy advice on how to correct the problem and not give in on my daughter’s every demand. But again, what do I know? She only seems to listen to me, right? Single being wonderful and oh so great? I don’t think it’s being single that’s the highlight here for me. I think it’s the point of being responsible enough to be in a relationship and not screw it all up or in my case worry about who’s going to screw it up for me next. So it just seems easier to stay single and not have to worry about the next downfall. Here I am three years single without even a date and I still don’t miss it.

March 15, 2009, 3:21 am CDT

Here ye, here ye! :)

Quote From: yendor44420

Interesting question to think about but yes, single and loving it. I have been up, down, and in between it seems in relationships. I was married at twenty-one, ended that myself eleven years into the relationship due to complications of wanting a little help around the house. I have a son who was five at the time of the breakup. Its now been eleven years since my divorce and I have been in three other long term relationships and the last one pretty much broke me. I now have a four year old daughter who doesnt have her father to help raise her and see her off to bed each night. I have to think of my ex with her new boyfriend raising my child and to top it she tells me how my daughter doesnt listen to either of them. Babys mommy also sees my daughter and how she wants to be with me all the time and how she gives me no problems to a minimal. I can only give mommy advice on how to correct the problem and not give in on my daughters every demand. But again, what do I know? She only seems to listen to me, right? Single being wonderful and oh so great? I dont think its being single thats the highlight here for me. I think its the point of being responsible enough to be in a relationship and not screw it all up or in my case worry about whos going to screw it up for me next. So it just seems easier to stay single and not have to worry about the next downfall. Here I am three years single without even a date and I still dont miss it.

I agree. Being single is not a curse or some demon preventing us from love. Choosing to remain single is a choice, just like getting involved in one is. The difference, being single holds a connotation that there is defect or dysfunction, when in my eyes, it could be, just as healthy to be alone as it is to be with someone. And that depends on the two people involved.  A lot of relationships become a way to "fix" us or "open our eyes". I have gotten the most amazing insites to myself as far as whom I pick to date, marry, etc. and whom chose to keep at a distance.  I am in what is probably the best form of therapy I could have ever found and what we are working on has a lot to do with, at one time maybe we were victims of circumstances when we were young or adolescent and the ways we learned to survive are to be commended for, but now, as adults they no longer work for us! It is simple yet complicated because it means facing our past and then letting it go free. A very hard thing for many to do.

Our choices, in the people that we choose to fall in love with, to the groceries we buy at the supermarket, actually I think I put more thought into my shopping list at times then I have in relationships, lol.  Until we learn people are there for us to learn about ourselves, when it goes wrong, we will blame the other person and not look at how we contributed greatly to the demise or the destruction of it. The way we see love relationships, is the way we saw them when we were young and impressionable, but the key word here, is inexperienced and unwise...ok....2 words.

It is easier to stay single and a lot of people choose to, but just like when we are in throes of a bad relationship and want out, when we are single, we are not happy either. So its in really appreciating what is, at the moment, single or dating, and learning about ourselves first. Actually, when people ask me if I am in a relationship, I think from now on I am going to say "yes......to myself". Sounds silly? But if you think about it, it is true. We are never alone we are just choosing to be full time in a committed relationship with ourselves because we know we need to do that right now and we should honor that. Good luck my friend.

March 15, 2009, 3:32 am CDT

Yes. Agree with that philosophy of thought.

Quote From: raulley

Well after reading through a few pages here, I gotta put my 2 cents in.

I am not scared to be alone, Im just sick of being lonely. Thing is though is that I have chosen it. I am focused on career, and that requires a lot of moving, and traveling. I really dont think that it is fair to get involved in a stop start relationship, and the other thing is that it is really hard to meet people that way as it is (thats a whole topic by itself).

I am a fiercely independent person as well, which seems to be the feel of this topic. I have had the broken heart, and I am sure have broken a few myself. Thing is though is you gotta keep trusting in people.

Im not telling you to give the keys to the condo to a 2 date kinda thing. Im talking your projection of it into the world. You have to trust in your own self to find people that are worth trusting.

The other thing is a relationship is with someone. Not just the person that you are sharing a bed with. So are you really single? We all love our friends, they truly are the answer to our family. The relationships that you have with them are just as deep and just as real as anything sexual. To me this is being single, but not single.

I on the other hand am single. Isolated, and never in the same place twice... kinda thing.
I have to admit that it is convenient to be single, it allows me a pick up and go lifestyle, but I miss real human contact, for a prolonged period of time.
A good chess partner if you will.
That is being single.

Thats just my 2 cents.

As I posted to the above poster a few minutes ago. I am single too and it makes me question why, a lot, but then again,I think to when I was in relationships, and I was thinkig "why" a lot then too...lol...but seriously. 

I don't think we are ever truly happy and life is suffering as well. Just as there is sorrow, there is joy. What if the sorrow seems more ? Then that sorrow is self inflicted, so to speak, or we are mentally attached to suffering and that brings me back to how we choose to look at things and that will bring us great sorrow or joy too.

I miss the safety and feeling that I belong somplace, to someone, being single and all. But then again, when I come home from a day after work or need time to reflect, my place is free and open and easy for me to do that. So I believe I am in fact creating this space so that I can get this....Just like you travel...we know we like the solice and independance and serious relationships take that away to an extent or can.

I have come to believe that we will never be happy so whatever way our situation presents itself we need to be aware that everyone also suffers like us, at the same time even, and there are a lot of people feeling exactly the same way, that puts us more on a reality based existence and then we can find compassion and joy is whatever comes our way.  Namaste. :)

First | Prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | Next Page | Last Page