Message Boards

Topic : 10/19 Teacher Caught in the Act

Number of Replies: 418
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 12, 2006, 06:04:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Remember when you were in school and had a harmless crush on your favorite teacher? Today, there are frequent headlines of teachers who are turning these schoolboy fantasies into sexual realities. When 24-year-old Janelle lost her virginity to a 15-year-old student, she says she "wasn't thinking about the law," and she was "in love." Now, she's a convicted sex offender who faces up to 30 years in prison. Janelle's attorney says she was treated unfairly. What does Dr. Phil think? Then meet Owen, the ex-husband of teacher Debra Lafave. Debra made international headlines when she was caught having sex with a 14-year-old student and her attorney suggested she was "too pretty to go to jail." Owen has since divorced Debra, remarried and written a book about being in the center of a media blitz. And, 15-year-old Jason says he had a love affair with his 26-year-old gym teacher, although she denies it, and he says he still has feelings for her. Jason's mom says that he was preyed upon, and she fears he will never recover from it. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2006, 1:28 pm CDT

Hopefully not at home

Quote From: jettav

Not a young man, A CHILD and this woman knew that and she abused her authority position, SHE belongs in jail.

The student is the victim and he obviously did not learn hitting on his teacher and following thru with any seriousness from any values taught in his family.  Families don't teach that.  And where in this teacher's life has she been told she is too pretty to face the consequences of her actions especially when they affect messing up the mind of a minor?  It upsets me no end that she would get into a profession to impact on children's minds and then consider this student a "lover" because her own life was just too inadequate that she had to take the innocence from a child.  That's just sick and she deserves every single day in jail that any man who molestes a child does, its no difference and she's kidding herself if she thinks it is.

October 16, 2006, 1:29 pm CDT

It's sick

I'm amazed at the whole sickness of teachers thinking its OK to have relationships with their students.

I think everyone needs to wake up!

October 16, 2006, 2:44 pm CDT

10/19 Teacher Caught in the Act

Quote From: purplepenny

Thank you, exactly Jetta.  I think some women are so cynical and jaded against men they have a hard time seeing a male at ANY age as a victim.

There is a whole school of though out there of people who think all sexual abuse victims are actually the perpetrators, seducing their abusers into their crimes....sick huh?
 yes. And even if this kid did approach her first, she should have acted like the adult and said NO. Isn't that what we teach our kids to do? She felt that it was ok to do what she did and her looks shouldn't have to save her from paying the consequence.

October 16, 2006, 3:00 pm CDT

Quote From: jettav

yes. And even if this kid did approach her first, she should have acted like the adult and said NO. Isn't that what we teach our kids to do? She felt that it was ok to do what she did and her looks shouldn't have to save her from paying the consequence.
Yes, if a 15 year old kids approaches an adult in a romantic way we have to teach him that that is wrong, and we have to make sure his parents are aware of this problem...because it IS a problem.

I get so tired of people thinking boys, because they generally have a bigger sex drive than girls, cannot be victims of abuse.

Bottom line, this boy is too young to understand and appreciate the consequences of his sexual behavior, this is exactly why it's against the law to have sex with minors.

And as for her being pretty...wow...that is just so sick and sad and it goes to show we still live in a largely sexist society where a woman's beauty can ever be thought of as some sort of "innocence factor"....UGH!!!

October 16, 2006, 4:48 pm CDT

Wow!

I can not believe how sick society is! My ex husband cheated on me with a 13 year old girl at the ripe old age of 25 and DID go to prison for it....for a whole 3 1/2 years! He still doesn't think he has a problem and thinks he got a raw deal. Faked his way through sex offender classes just to get it out of the way and will be off probation just in time to marry his 23 year old girlfriend(whom is 8 years younger than he). And he can't figure out why I am so worried about our sons spending time with him! What is this world coming too? HE IS A SEX OFFENDER and always will be! Unless there become tougher laws out here, they will keep offending and offending and offending.......

October 16, 2006, 4:54 pm CDT

Ever heard of this?

I heard that most female teachers that do this have had a childhood where they have been raped. I'm not saying its right, but why would those teachers want their students to suffer the same thing? Theyre not in love, they just say that because they want to trick the kid into doing it with them. Love is when you put their best interest first. Present and future.

October 16, 2006, 6:24 pm CDT

I'm not upset, I understand that many people who are abused or taken advantage of in horrid ways have a hard time coming forward.

I was simply pointing out that this kind of thing being on the news and being in the spot light might help empower some otherwise scared kids.

Sorry didn't mean to make it seem like you were upset.  I agree with you that bringing attention to this will help.  Thanks for your input. 

October 16, 2006, 6:59 pm CDT

Quote From: 100269

I heard that most female teachers that do this have had a childhood where they have been raped. I'm not saying its right, but why would those teachers want their students to suffer the same thing? Theyre not in love, they just say that because they want to trick the kid into doing it with them. Love is when you put their best interest first. Present and future.
it could be a control issue. I think most people who abuse children were probably abused themselves. no excuse but it does happen, Kids grow up and they live what they learn. If there isn't any positive influence in their lives, some one to take a special interest in them, then chances are they are going to repeat the act that was against them, sad but true.

October 16, 2006, 7:07 pm CDT

Quote From: 100269

I am NOT in any way defending teachers preying on students, but on the issue of why a woman who had been raped as a child would want their students to suffer the same thing....I don't think they are using that kind of logic. If someone was raped or abused as a child, that could stunt their emotional development and teenage boys are more their "peers" in terms of maturity. I still think all adults are responsible for their actions, but that might be why you hear that female teachers who do this have been raped or molested.

October 16, 2006, 7:08 pm CDT

Yes, if a 15 year old kids approaches an adult in a romantic way we have to teach him that that is wrong, and we have to make sure his parents are aware of this problem...because it IS a problem.

I get so tired of people thinking boys, because they generally have a bigger sex drive than girls, cannot be victims of abuse.

Bottom line, this boy is too young to understand and appreciate the consequences of his sexual behavior, this is exactly why it's against the law to have sex with minors.

And as for her being pretty...wow...that is just so sick and sad and it goes to show we still live in a largely sexist society where a woman's beauty can ever be thought of as some sort of "innocence factor"....UGH!!!
I may not be a beauty queen but I would rather look like  me and be where I am right now and not in her shoes.  If good looks was so powerful then why is she in this situation? Like I said in a previous message, looks can be deceiving, maybe some one out in this big ole world canlearn a lesson here...............

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last