Message Boards

Topic : 06/05 Big Spenders and Cheapskates

Number of Replies: 236
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 12, 2006, 06:05:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/20/06) Do you spend money frivolously, or do you hold on to every cent? Katie says when she and her husband, Joe, were dating, he wined and dined her, but when they got married, he became so cheap that she had to buy her own wedding ring, and he refused to take her on a honeymoon. When Katie lost over 40 pounds and wanted to buy clothes that fit, she says Joe told her to just gain the weight back. Joe says he has to control all of Katie's spending, or they would end up in the poorhouse. Is Joe really the penny-pincher Katie says he is, or is Katie's spending the real problem? Next, Ericka says her friend, Carlena, has "caviar taste with a tuna fish budget," and that if she doesn't learn to control her shopaholic ways, she'll end up on the street. Carlena says she deserves everything she buys -- designer clothes, over 100 pairs of shoes, and the TV in her car -- even if she can't afford them. Carlena's spending has gotten so bad, she had to move back home with her mother, Leonetta. Leonetta joins the show via satellite with all of Carlena's possessions on her lawn. Don’t miss her shocking ultimatum to her daughter and share your thoughts here!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 13, 2007, 5:14 pm CDT

Already Too Late

Quote From: jcdbcr

This was a sad sad woman.  She is obviously screaming for help with her spending!  Somewhere along the line she was made to feel unworthy and is acting this way as if to show everyone that she is indeed worthy.  Truly sad, but she is going to have to do major work on herself to understand that she is worthy without spending money on all this junk!  I would however have spent some of that money on braces or plastic surgery.  Good luck Carlena, this show may have just been the wakeup call you needed before you bankrupt yourself and alienate everyone around you!  Your Mother and friend obviously love you - let them help you!

Even if she wakes up now it will already be to late for her to have a wakeup call to stop her from bankrupting herself.  The usurious banks will charge her huge amounts of interest on the amount of money that she already owes.  The 38,000 will quickly turn into 50,000 which will eventually turn into 100,000.  She already owes more than she will probably make in a year for a long time even if she does find a job and catching up will prove almost impossible.    

The lesson is don't use credit cards in the first place and especially don't accumulate debt on credit cards.  

June 18, 2007, 10:33 pm CDT

Would love an update on Carlena

I saw this episode for the first time when it aired a week or so ago. I've seen spending mania, but this seems more like giant-ego-mania than just a simple spending issue. I am very interested to hear an update to this story. Did Carlena's mom follow through and hick her dead-beat luxury-addict out of the house? Did Carlena get a job and find a place of her ownt? Or is her mother still enabling her to dig herself into terminal debt?

BTW, I was looking for an updated story and happened onto a YouTube video with the dubious title: "carlena rocking her hips". The woman in the video looks a lot like the same Carlena from Dr. Phil's show dancing away a storm. Hopefully she's dancing for joy because she's finally being responsible, independent and paying off her debts to her mother & the credit cards, but sadly I doubt it.

August 8, 2007, 8:59 am CDT

Not so sure even a job will fix the problem

Quote From: woodmousie

I saw this episode for the first time when it aired a week or so ago. I've seen spending mania, but this seems more like giant-ego-mania than just a simple spending issue. I am very interested to hear an update to this story. Did Carlena's mom follow through and hick her dead-beat luxury-addict out of the house? Did Carlena get a job and find a place of her ownt? Or is her mother still enabling her to dig herself into terminal debt?

BTW, I was looking for an updated story and happened onto a YouTube video with the dubious title: "carlena rocking her hips". The woman in the video looks a lot like the same Carlena from Dr. Phil's show dancing away a storm. Hopefully she's dancing for joy because she's finally being responsible, independent and paying off her debts to her mother & the credit cards, but sadly I doubt it.

Even if she gets a job she probaby won't b e able to afford her wasteful selfish lifestyle.  She will continue to fall further and further in debt.   Carlena needs to figure out what is going on inside and why she needs wasteful material things to make her happy.  

With the amount of debt she has already accumulated and the unlimited amount of interest the credit card companies are allowed to charge, she will probably never be able to catch up even when/if she goes change her ways. 

October 6, 2007, 3:08 pm CDT

Carlena is a Fraud who does not deserve anything she can't afford!

Carlena is a fraud who has an unbelievable sense of entitlement.  She's $38,000 in debt and has no job and no way to pay and yet she stills thinks she's entitled.  She bought tons of shoes, a 54-inch flat screen t.v., an SUV with another tv, dvd player, laptop, camaras, tons of clothes, accessories, purses, etc. 

I'm proud of her mom for what she did!  Can I get an update on Carlena?

April 26, 2008, 9:55 am CDT

What Does She Need All That Stuff For?

What does Carlena need all that stuff for?  3 bathing suits for a two day stay in Miami?  I mean come on.  So what if someone else is wearing the same one as you.  You don't need two t.v.'s.  You know I would love to buy everything I ever wanted, but I can't afford it, so I don't.  Instead, I save and plan for things, even though I do have a privileged life!

July 29, 2008, 11:21 am CDT

I'm Proud of Leonetta!

I'm really very proud of Leonetta, Carlena's mother, for being brutally honest with her daughter and telling her that quote, "Carlena I'm fed up with your spending, it's time it stops".  In another words she was telling her "I'm putting this stuff out of my house and you're not far behind it if you don't get a job and start contributing". 

First | Prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next Page | Last Page