Message Boards

Topic : 06/05 Big Spenders and Cheapskates

Number of Replies: 236
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 12, 2006, 06:05:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/20/06) Do you spend money frivolously, or do you hold on to every cent? Katie says when she and her husband, Joe, were dating, he wined and dined her, but when they got married, he became so cheap that she had to buy her own wedding ring, and he refused to take her on a honeymoon. When Katie lost over 40 pounds and wanted to buy clothes that fit, she says Joe told her to just gain the weight back. Joe says he has to control all of Katie's spending, or they would end up in the poorhouse. Is Joe really the penny-pincher Katie says he is, or is Katie's spending the real problem? Next, Ericka says her friend, Carlena, has "caviar taste with a tuna fish budget," and that if she doesn't learn to control her shopaholic ways, she'll end up on the street. Carlena says she deserves everything she buys -- designer clothes, over 100 pairs of shoes, and the TV in her car -- even if she can't afford them. Carlena's spending has gotten so bad, she had to move back home with her mother, Leonetta. Leonetta joins the show via satellite with all of Carlena's possessions on her lawn. Don’t miss her shocking ultimatum to her daughter and share your thoughts here!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 20, 2006, 9:46 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

And Big Cheap Ders Doctor Phil Skates Spen. What are you talking about? I have never been a big spender in my life. But I do enjoy working for my company. See you today and next week.----

Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 20, 2006, 10:08 am CDT

today's show

I was watching today's show and was a little confused about Carlena. What could she possibly be thinking?! Spending all that money or charging things without a job. I'm out of work right now and I'm not spending anything unless I have to (I only have 107.00 left in checking).My clothes are at least 1 year old. I wear some that are several years old because I can't afford any new ones.I'm in debt as well, but not 38,000.00.If I had 10,000.00 I could be back on my feet. But, that's never going to happen.By the way, I am looking for a job. Sharon Amick

October 20, 2006, 10:51 am CDT

Materialistic and Consumeristic=The Best in Life?

I appreciate Dr. Phil's honest, no-nonsense approach to advising his guests, however much that makes them uncomfortable, yet I wish he had made one very important point to Carlena. That point being, Why does she think "the best" in life is just expensive possessions? Why does she make objects her top priority, which is evident in her spending habits.

I feel like I see this sort of mentality everywhere I look. Of course, iI enjoy dressing well, living  in nice, comfortable surroundings, occasionally eating sumptuous meals every now and then. But this consumerism has to be tempered with moderation, and the belief that the pursuit of objects ultimately does not make life meaningful and satisfying.

Let me put it to you this way: Would you rather have the trendiest clothes and most up-to-date electronic equipment, yet be lonely and have no friends or family? If your house went up in flames, would yourather the objects perish, or your family's lives?

October 20, 2006, 11:05 am CDT

Grow Up!

Carlena, you need to grow up!  Stop spending money that you don't have!  I can see it now, Carlena will be one to file for Bankruptcy cause she can't pay her bills, & the rest of us will have to pay her debt with higher interest rates....

When you can AFFORD to have the best then you can buy the best, but until that time, start living within your means!  And since you don't have a job and are sponging off your mother, I'd say your means are very very limited.  You shouldn't be BUYING anything! 

As for Joe & Katie, I really really WISH Dr. Phil would've hammered Joe more on HIS 5K four-wheeler....typical man, its OKAY to spend money as long as its SOMETHING he wants, of course there is justification for it, but heaven forbid your wife is allowed some measily dollars to go buy new clothes.  Joe's lame comment that the 4-wheeler was for "them" is just a crock, its for the little boy inside of Joe who wants his cake & to eat it too....its ALRIGHT that I SPEND  money but Katie can't....

I appreciate what Joe is trying to do by providing financial security...but treating your spouse as anything but equal is just wrong....and its just wrong for him to be allowed to have his TOYS but his wife can't get new clothing.....

I hope that Joe does start sharing the finances and budget burder with Katie, and that he stops this inane need to "Control" the money....that doesn't mean Katie needs to go overboard, but she shouldn't have *ask* Joe if she wants to buy something....I wonder if Joe asked Katie before he bought the 4wheeler...does Joe clear it with Katie everytime he wastes money on gas for the 4wheeler?  I bet not....

And again, Carlena, grow up!  Get yourself a job, and work towards being able to buy the best....you can still have nice things even if they aren't top of the line, and you need to take responsibility, pay your debts (no declaring bankruptcy), pay your Mom back, and STOP spending!

October 20, 2006, 12:20 pm CDT

not tough enough

Regarding..was it Katie(?)  For goodness sakes Dr. Phil you should have slammed that man.  For some reason, very apparent that she was this way, she was scared of him. Darlin pretty gal, get some backbone.  How can you live under such control?  He isn't your father.... he is your spouse.  DO you show him the receipts for food that you purchase?  It is a tremendous cost for families.  If he is so stupid that he doesn't get it... let him purchase the groceries... and eat what he buys for $40.00 per month. I just bet he wouldn't enjoy soup and crackers for a month.  I'm not sure you could do that on $40.00.

Lady you really looked sad on the show.  The good points that Dr. Phil tried to make on your behalf,  you just sat there and laughed, like it was a joke or something.  If it's a JOKE to you, why were you on the show?  Why didn't you look at your husband seriously and make him own up to being a fool? Maybe you realized you are pretty foolish for putting up with such a ridiculous lifestyle.

October 20, 2006, 12:29 pm CDT

Carlena does it because she can

Carlenas` mom needs to stop being an enabler and boot her A%# out of the house. Let`s see how much good the 54` plasma does her when she`s living in her truck (til the repo man comes). She deserves nothing and is entitled to nothing. It`s a shame that debtors` prison isn`t around anymore.

October 20, 2006, 12:31 pm CDT

Carlena Child

My heavens girl, what makes you think you are entitled to a free ride? Many people are 50 + 60 years old with health problems.... but have to work to pay for groceries.

If you are so worried about appearance and acceptance....  first work on that attitude.  However if it's all about looks to you and an attitude adjustment doen't make you the QUEEN you feel you should be perceived as.... take some of that money you spend on shoes and fix your teeth.

I would never criticize anyone about their  "looks", because most of us struggle to do the best we can.  You however, struggle not.

October 20, 2006, 12:45 pm CDT

Who is paying Carlena's Healthcare?

October 20, 2006, 12:53 pm CDT

10/20 Cheapskates and Big Spenders

I've never posted a message on one of these before, but after watching todays show, I felt as though I had to.  Carlina, the girl on the show who thinks she deserves everything she can't afford needs a reality check.  What is it about yourself that you think makes you more important than anyone else.  I'm a stay at home mom with two little girls.  I work my butt off every single day to try to make a good life for my girls, and quite frankly I think that I deserve such things as trips to the salon, new clothes, and shoes....however, I can't afford them.  My kids get new stuff long before I do.  I can't remember the last time I had a massage at the spa...it's just not in my budget.  Sure it sucks that I can't have everything that I "deserve" all the time but that's part of life.  Carlina--you need to get real and get over yourself. 

October 20, 2006, 1:04 pm CDT

Who is paying Carlena's health care?

Dr. Phil I wish you would have asked Carlena who is paying for her health care?  My quess is - we are!!!  As a health care professional I see this all the time.  People living on the system and living as well as those of us working to make a living.   I work in an Intensive Care Nursery - we get sick newborns from all over the state.  Some of our infants are in the unit for months.  Working moms with insurance have to leave their infants after 6-8 weeks and return to work (sometimes this means they can only make it to see their babies on the weekend).  On the other hand moms that choose not to work have everyting paid for, they are put up in the Ronald McDonald house, get meal tickets, and get to spend as much time with their sick infant as they wish.  Now please tell me the justice in this!!  No wonder people choose to live off the system.  People like Carlena are why this country's welfare system needs a good kick in the rear!  I am tired of working and paying for others who choose not to work and feel they are entitled to everyting free that I work hard for.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last