Message Boards

Topic : 06/05 Big Spenders and Cheapskates

Number of Replies: 236
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 12, 2006, 06:05:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/20/06) Do you spend money frivolously, or do you hold on to every cent? Katie says when she and her husband, Joe, were dating, he wined and dined her, but when they got married, he became so cheap that she had to buy her own wedding ring, and he refused to take her on a honeymoon. When Katie lost over 40 pounds and wanted to buy clothes that fit, she says Joe told her to just gain the weight back. Joe says he has to control all of Katie's spending, or they would end up in the poorhouse. Is Joe really the penny-pincher Katie says he is, or is Katie's spending the real problem? Next, Ericka says her friend, Carlena, has "caviar taste with a tuna fish budget," and that if she doesn't learn to control her shopaholic ways, she'll end up on the street. Carlena says she deserves everything she buys -- designer clothes, over 100 pairs of shoes, and the TV in her car -- even if she can't afford them. Carlena's spending has gotten so bad, she had to move back home with her mother, Leonetta. Leonetta joins the show via satellite with all of Carlena's possessions on her lawn. Don’t miss her shocking ultimatum to her daughter and share your thoughts here!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 15, 2006, 8:24 am CDT

JUst tell me why

I really get so very tired of the crying and whining of people, when they allow misfortune to be in their life--then act so suprised when life is upsetting.  No, I have not seen the show yet, but it will probably (at least in the case where the girl has moved back in with her mom) be Mom saying, BUT WHAT COULD I DO? SHE WOULD HAVE HAD TO LIVE IN THE STREET!  Oh well !!!!!!!! Obviously the girl has made grown up choices and now should have to live with them.  People----JUST STOP ENABLING EACH OTHER-WE ONLY GROW STRONGER WHEN PAIN AND SUFFERING ENTER OUR LIVES.   More to come after the show airs.  thanks for listening..

October 15, 2006, 11:57 am CDT

Good start, mom. Continue...

All that's left to do is price Carlena's belongings, which are conveniently in the yard, and put up the yard sale signs!  The money made can be used to pay bills, hire a budget consultant, and of course, pay mom rent.  Get real, Carlena.  Most people deserve things they don't have, because we can't afford it.  I've been teaching in the city for 24 years.  If I had all the "things" I deserve, my net worth would incredible!!  I wouldn't trade "all my children"  for a dream car or house, because they are way more valulable.  Get over yourseld, or marry rich, without a prenup.

October 15, 2006, 6:22 pm CDT

Spending

Could some of the over spending be a sign of bi-polar? 

There is a new show that a man comes out and puts people on a budget and helps people set goals, could it be a lack of knowledge ?? or is it  just one being a  spoiled brat? Some times we create a dependent situation and them get up set when we want to stop.

October 15, 2006, 8:29 pm CDT

Count your blessings

Katie should consider herself lucky.  I am living the opposite experience.  When I first met my husband he treated me well and did give gifts but he was a very conservative spender.  Liked to save and buy savings bonds.  As soon as we got married he turned on a dime but not spending on me but on himself.  I am the primary income for our household and he spends money like a Rockefeller.   Since the economy took a downturn I started losing hours at work and my paycheck is shrinking.  Several layoffs have forced me into a situation where I pay bills paycheck to paycheck and yet, his spending has not changed.   I would rather have someone who saved and gave the family the security than watched someone spend for their own pleasure today. 

October 17, 2006, 6:38 am CDT

If I had lost 40 lbs

If my husband had the nerve to suggest to me to gain my lost 40 lbs back in order to save money in clothes, I'd run the streets in bed linen wearing a banner that read "please help me fund my husbands refusel to buy me ,"his wife of __ yrs, new/used clothes.  Since my weight loss program worked I am now down to wearing our bed linens! Any amount would be greatly appreciated, and oh by the way my husbands name is _______________ and he can be reached at ___-___-____.  God Bless.

October 18, 2006, 12:28 am CDT

New Aussie at this

Hi everyone out there, not sure how or even if this will work but hay why not give it a go... ok so i am 22 years old and i have had a pretty hard couple of years, my parents were very happy together and then literally over night my family was torn apart and my mother has moved to America and gotten married to someone there and my father has moved to the other side of the country, i am about to graduate from University and should be getting ready to start the rest of my life instead i am dreading the new year because i dont know what will happen, i cant seem to think of one positive thing about myself every time i look in the mirror i only see negative things, and i am to affraid to get into any kind of a relationship because i cant imagine relying on anyone...how do i change this? any suggestions anyone out there

October 20, 2006, 1:57 am CDT

Where is the TV?

I was just wondering if the TV will be listed also?

October 20, 2006, 2:00 am CDT

Where is the TV?

I don't know if my last message went through as I am new to the site, but is the big screen TV going to be listed also?

October 20, 2006, 4:44 am CDT

Takes two.....

Quote From: andyfromro

Katie should consider herself lucky.  I am living the opposite experience.  When I first met my husband he treated me well and did give gifts but he was a very conservative spender.  Liked to save and buy savings bonds.  As soon as we got married he turned on a dime but not spending on me but on himself.  I am the primary income for our household and he spends money like a Rockefeller.   Since the economy took a downturn I started losing hours at work and my paycheck is shrinking.  Several layoffs have forced me into a situation where I pay bills paycheck to paycheck and yet, his spending has not changed.   I would rather have someone who saved and gave the family the security than watched someone spend for their own pleasure today. 

And you are putting up with this for what reason? Get control of it and do something about it.........

October 20, 2006, 4:44 am CDT

yard sale cool!

Quote From: margiemms

All that's left to do is price Carlena's belongings, which are conveniently in the yard, and put up the yard sale signs!  The money made can be used to pay bills, hire a budget consultant, and of course, pay mom rent.  Get real, Carlena.  Most people deserve things they don't have, because we can't afford it.  I've been teaching in the city for 24 years.  If I had all the "things" I deserve, my net worth would incredible!!  I wouldn't trade "all my children"  for a dream car or house, because they are way more valulable.  Get over yourseld, or marry rich, without a prenup.

Hey, I'll come by for that yard sale!  What's Carlena thinking? My husband  and I both work(he's ft. and I'm pt. while the kids are in school 3 days a week) I buy almost all our stuff at yard sales, consignment shops, thrift stores etc. I live in a nice home with nice stuff ( nearly all of it gently used or bought at a steep discount) My family doesn't go without,and my kids have plenty of brand name stuff  BUT we've never emphasized the importance of labels.

We do emphasize, that alot of people out there don't have nice shoes,clothes,winter coats,or even a home,so... be grateful for what you have and share your blessings with others.

I am a penny pincher(I'll pinch pennies 'till they cry) but I'd never make my family go with out their  NEEDS just some of their wants. They know my motto, NEVER PAY FULL PRICE!!!  'cause somebody else probably has and doesn't want it anymore.

As for the lady who lost the weight, she should tell her husband thrift stores are great and I want some clothes that fit. Hey, maybe Carlena's mom can sell her some of  Carlena's

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last