Message Boards

Topic : Online Dating

Number of Replies: 1529
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:08:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking to meet someone online? Or have you met the love of your life on the net already? Share the good, the bad and the ugly of online dating.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 7, 2008, 3:44 pm CDT

Online Dating

Quote From: vlinderby

why dont you just ask her. Its not like she is my best friend now is it? If she has been smart enough to not give this man any money yet then I can imagine she wont since she had enough sense to recognize what was going on. So she second guessed herself for a moment...have you never done that? If not then I sure wish I was more like you...and that more of the world was. Of course then the world would be very cold from all the ice pumping through our veins too! I'll take being a Girl Scout anyday. Please dont leave messages for me again if you cant be a little nicer. Thank you.
I am fine and I did not send him any money although he did send me a fake check which I have turned over to the FBI.  I have moved on and told him not to contact me anymore, which he has not.  Since then I have met someone that is real and lives close by and we are dating.  Thanks for sticking up for me and helping me with your words.  I would rather be a girl scout then an ice princess.  I am happy and things are great and hopefully they will catch this scammer and put him where he needs to be.

May 7, 2008, 3:48 pm CDT

Online Dating

Quote From: woodholly82

I have been trying online Dating for 5 yrs. now and all I get same results is SCAMMERS. I'm probably sign up to least 15 dating site and getting NOTHING. I meet someone and it up being a SCAMMER. Sick and tried of this. Is there any dating site that there is no SCAMMERS and don't cost a fortune to be a member. I always heard someone around my area met online. WHY can't I meet someone online for a relationship and don't in up being a scammer? Can someone answer this question.I'm tried of living alone and I want to start a new life with someone. Have the answer give a shout please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I found someone on True.com you get a 7 days for free and get to email people within that 7 days.  You are not restricted like the other sites.  I was drawn in by a scammer and you have to be careful.  I have met a man and we are dating and things are great.  I understand about living alone and wanting to start a new life with someone I would have done anything but I found that patience is the best because the man that is right for you will come along.  Just be cautious and patient all will work out within time.

May 7, 2008, 3:49 pm CDT

Online Dating

Quote From: joycemiles

So do tell girl scout.... is she ok?????? Did she take your warm works of wisdom??? 
Yes I am ok and yes I did take the warm works of wisdom. 

May 7, 2008, 5:53 pm CDT

Online Dating

Quote From: dmbsmb

I found someone on True.com you get a 7 days for free and get to email people within that 7 days.  You are not restricted like the other sites.  I was drawn in by a scammer and you have to be careful.  I have met a man and we are dating and things are great.  I understand about living alone and wanting to start a new life with someone I would have done anything but I found that patience is the best because the man that is right for you will come along.  Just be cautious and patient all will work out within time.
Who ever wrote the answer to my question please come forward. First of all I sign up with True and they didn't give me a 7 days for free. Second -think they better last part carefully quote "because the man is right for you" I'm not looking for a man I'm looking for a woman. Thrid -True has outragous price. Fourth -Did you meet someone on TRUE. Fifth -IS true worth the money. Send your answer to woodholly82@yahoo.com

May 10, 2008, 10:35 pm CDT

Online Dating

Quote From: dmbsmb

Yes I am ok and yes I did take the warm works of wisdom. 
hahaha clever.... well glad to hear that you didn't fall for the scam....

May 12, 2008, 1:45 pm CDT

scammers

Quote From: woodholly82

I have been trying online Dating for 5 yrs. now and all I get same results is SCAMMERS. I'm probably sign up to least 15 dating site and getting NOTHING. I meet someone and it up being a SCAMMER. Sick and tried of this. Is there any dating site that there is no SCAMMERS and don't cost a fortune to be a member. I always heard someone around my area met online. WHY can't I meet someone online for a relationship and don't in up being a scammer? Can someone answer this question.I'm tried of living alone and I want to start a new life with someone. Have the answer give a shout please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Any singles site is going to be full of sociopaths conning other members. Often the site itself is the worst. They will send you fake messages to get you to sign up and spend more money. The best site I have ever found is called "Plenty of Fish". It is absolutely free, always. There are forums for the members to participate in, and has plenty of nice features even the pay sites don't offer. Giveit a try before you give up.

May 13, 2008, 5:18 pm CDT

having fun dating for the first time ever!

I've been reading some posts here about bad experiences meeting people online.  I can relate because I used to meet the wrong men - until I read this book that talks about dating in a way lighter way and taking the time to actually DATE and get to know several men before you jump in sexually or otherwise with any of them.  I now am waiting much longer to even kiss a guy - and realizing it really takes some time to get to know someone.  I think that if you change your mindset going in, making your focus getting to know each other, then you'll see the sketchy ones before you get sucked in.  Reading this book The Four Man Plan helped change my attitude and I'm having so much more fun for it!

May 13, 2008, 5:19 pm CDT

Plenty of fish rocks!

Quote From: wespauley

Any singles site is going to be full of sociopaths conning other members. Often the site itself is the worst. They will send you fake messages to get you to sign up and spend more money. The best site I have ever found is called "Plenty of Fish". It is absolutely free, always. There are forums for the members to participate in, and has plenty of nice features even the pay sites don't offer. Giveit a try before you give up.
I agree with Plenty of Fish - it's totally free and there are alot of people on there.  Good luck!

June 4, 2008, 12:55 pm CDT

We met online and are happily married

Quote From: rxangel

Hi,

I also have been divorced but it will be 2 years in December. I tried on - line dating services...and to me it's a crock of crap.

You don't say how old you are or where you live which does make a big difference. I am 58 but look younger than that, thank God.....I live in NY...........

I met 3 men thru 2 different dating sites...........one I met for coffee, seemed like a very nice man, attractive, worked locally and he asked if I wanted to go out to dinner the following weekend, said, yes and then he said he'd call me.........got sick during the week and one night took my phone off the hook and went to bed early. He got mad that I did that and said so in an email and never contacted me again. Another man, we wrote emails for a month, then spoke on  the phone for a month.........he knew me pretty well and I also thought I knew him........he came to my house and we went out to dinner.............after dinner, he expected me to sleep with him, Don't think so!!! Met another guy..........we emailed for awhile, I went on vacation for a month, he called all the time,he seemed to know me better than I knew myself.............when I got back, we met the next day for coffee and sat and talked for over 2 hours.........I invited him to my home for our annual July 4th. party........he came early, brought a nice gift........helped cook, clean up, was very attentive. He was the last to leave and I walked him to his car in our driveway.....he hugged me and said what a wonderful time he had, loved my family and friends, and said he felt as if he knew everyone a long time and asked if he could call the next day which was Sunday................well, he never called, I was fuming inside but I wasn't go to call him. On Tuesday, my daughter and I were lying by the pool and talking..............well Guess What??..............on one of his trips inside my house to use the bathroom, one time, my daughter was in the kitchen making drinks in the blender...............HE MADE A PASS AT HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I emailed that evening and told him exactly what I thought of him and that he had some nerve making a pass at my daughter, etc., etc...........he wrote back and said he never did.....................

After that, I'm off all dating sites.............if God wants me to meet another man, then I will, but if not, that's okay too.............for I have to be happy with me first cause no man can give that to me...

Another reason the dating sites are a crock, when I was going thru my divorce, I checked out 2 dating sites just to see what it was like.................my soon to be ex-husband was on one of them, he had put up professional pictures and all he wrote in his profile were lies.............So after that, and the experiences meeting tthe 3 men, it's not worth my time.................there are a lot of men who are on many sites, but have slightly different pictures, use a different username, and change what they say in each profile.....and I'm sure women out there do the same.............

You say you are terrified that you end up with a pervert..............you're right............you never, ever know who you're talking to..............you take a chance when meeting a man.........Not for me anymore...........

As the author of the book "He's just not that into you"...........he states in the book and on one of Oprahs' shows...........all men, no matter what age, just want to get laid...........until they meet the woman they want to spend the rest of their lives with..........and you know what, he's 100% right.......all the men, whether 18, 30, 50 or 70, they just want to hop in the sack.............been there done that....................not for me and certainly not in this day and age where there's Aids.........no thank you.

Maybe I will meet someone, maybe not..........but either way, my life still goes on..............and so will yours...........

I met my husband through Match/Kiss.com.  Next month is our 5th wedding anniversary and we are as happy and loving today as the day we married. I was looking for a Christian man and my husband is in seminary now.

If you are meeting the wrong kind of guys from my experience it is because your ad needs to be fixed. Maybe you should rethink what you wrote. I met about six men before meeting my husband and yes some lied in their ad (says 6' actually 5'5') but nobody promises that the first person you meet would be "the one".  One piece of advise: I always got there first and left last. When meeting for the fist time I had friends sitting at the next table for my safety and asked their opinion of the guy after he left. 

June 7, 2008, 2:29 pm CDT

My experience and oppion

Back in 98, I use to go into a chatroom regularly. I have meet a few good online friends. I was also in a relationship for almost 9yrs to an older guy. One of my lady friends I chatted to alot from the room became like a sister to me. I was having problems with my relationship, and was working my way out of it. Oneday in June of 99 she introduced me to her brother who was going through a divorce. Me and him chatted for 4 months. Online and phone. Back then I lived in Philadelphia, PA., and he lived in Indiana.  Oct. of 99 he told me, he was going to buy me a plane ticket to come and meet him. Yes I was nervous cause I never flew. My gut instincts was more for it, cause how well I got along with him and his sister. I didn't feel no harm in going. Yes my mom was scared to death. My dad was more like if you feel comfortable enough in going, you do what you want. When I finally got here I still didn't feel scared or threaten.  I knew I made the right decession.  I stayed and went home to visit when possible. About 2 yrs. later we got married. Bought a house in Oct. of 2002. He didn't want his name on it cause he just filled bankruptcy cause of his 1st. divorce. We had each other passwords online. Pertty much the same friends from a different chatroom we use to go into. We even had one of our friends come and visit every now and then. Well March of 2003 he told me he wasn't happy no more. Yes I was in shock and devasated cause I left my family and friends to come and be with him. So of course I said fine go! Where you going? Well needless to say he went and lived with that one friend. That even made me more furious. Of course the divorce was pertty much easy cause everything was in my name, but I was stuck here in this state. His sister tried to be there for me when he left. Since I just bought the house I knew I wasn't going to get what I needed to pay it off. Anyways I have dated others online. My new friends I work with are like why!? I told them there is no difference then meeting someone online or a drunk in a bar. Yes most guys are looking for sex online, but when you go to a bar and you meet a drunk what do most guys want to do? They want to take you home to have sex with you, and pertty much never hear again from.  I still to this day do not meet anyone right away. I still talk to them for a couple months atleast. Phone also! Some people say you don't know what a person looks like online. Which is true cause the pic they send could be a fake. That's why when and if I'm ready to meet someone, it is in public no if's and butt's about it!!!!!!!! I don't see you from the pic you sent, Then I don't know you. So I did learn onething. If you are from another state your coming to see me. LOL... I think the only way I would leave this state for someone online, if it is for someone close to home in philly, and could sell my house here in Indiana. All you ever hear on the news is the bad stories about online. I do laugh at the older guys that sit there and try to act younger and get busted. Or they say they are divorced and eventually it comes out that they are still married. Yes woman can be the same way! But I will say, how stupid can you be if you think you aren't going to get caught.

First | Prev | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | Next | Last