Message Boards

Topic : Online Dating

Number of Replies: 1529
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:08:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking to meet someone online? Or have you met the love of your life on the net already? Share the good, the bad and the ugly of online dating.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 11, 2005, 11:59 am CST

Know your self first!

Quote From: rube1368

Thank you for the advice it did work. I did ask why he did this and his explanation was ....He was checking me out if I contact him under different nickname. We agreed todeleteour profiles and we did. I am trying to trusthim again and I asked him howI can trust him again he said he will try his bestto show me to trust him again.He's calling me every day we see eachother often(3-4x) a week. But still on the back of my head I think maybe he is dating or chatting, I keep wondering when he is not with me, and this is not healthy for me. How do I stop worring andstart trusting him? Trust you haveto earn it, right I said to him you have to give it to me theway I am giving to you. I do really like him heis got thing Iam looking in life and Idon't want lose him becauseof priviousnon trustworthy relationships.

Howcan Ibuild a trust on him, may be he is honest with me?

Thanks.

If you are considering online dating understand the feed back you get is only as good as what you put in it. I took several years off, after my divorce, to find out who I was and what my values are. It was a time to work on me. I discovered some wonderful things about myself and some character flaws too. I am now ready to date again because I am comfortable with who I am and know what I want in my life. I know what I have to offer and when I posted my profile I've included in it who I am. It works because it weeds out the people who are looking for just a bedroom romp. E-dating keeps it safe as I ask questions about who they are. After only a few emails it becomes clear if their looking for a Bambi or a real person. I have found about 99% of the men are just fishing, and are reacting to their other "head". I have limited the responses to my profile, as I am very honest about who I am. E-dating thru a service is good, as you can weed out the trollers. Also, by taking the time to know who you are, and honestly express that, NOT posting things that are "suggestive" right out of the shoot - You won't get the responses based on only the suggestive parts of your profile.  Value youself first. If you come across as "needy", this shows up too. If your attracting real creeps, whats wrong with you, that your sending out these signals?  E-dating is just another way of meeting more people in our ever expanding society. You still have to screen people. Thats your responsibility! No system is perfect but e-dating is just anither tool to meet men. Honor your self first. And expect it in return.You will meet men on the same level as you are! - PJ 

November 11, 2005, 4:41 pm CST

on line dating

Quote From: angiedot

I am a widow 63 years old for over 5 years was married almost 40 years and have 3 daughters but now im ready to continue with my life. I would love to find someone to spend the rest of my life with but I really don't know how I really don't know if the online dating works and what should work for me. I am a christian lady who attends church but in my church there are not so many guys like always more women than men there. I would love to met someone with spiritual values who loves to laugh and have a good time who enjoys walks and who likes music of all kinds (christian that is). So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know I would love to hear from you what is the best way to met someone and if the online dating works.  

be sure to try an on line service that is for Christians the regular ones are like what was on tv 11-11-05 most men only want one thing even the ones you would not think would be like that. Be careful and cautious.

November 12, 2005, 6:37 pm CST

Wondering

hi 

it seems that my dilemmas that i happen to like white guys, but every time i pick one i get dumped on. 

they either afraid of i being black or all they looking for is you know what. 

i live in a small town in Florida and here you  find so many mixed couples. so why cant i attracted the right guy.  

I am also LDS and that makes it hard for me to find the right guy. I just wonder if there is something wrong with me. Why is it so hard for me to find someone special. He doesn ' t have to be perfect just special. 

Thanks chilln ' 

November 12, 2005, 8:18 pm CST

Does Online dating really work?

I've only been trying the online dating thing for about 6 months - I've tried several different sites, posted different things on each... pictures, etc... to no avail.  Men either generally want one thing which you can find out rather quickly or they tend to lie about what they look like (one man put up a picture of his brother because and I quote "he's better looking than me")  HELP... even the E Harmony thing didn't work! 

November 13, 2005, 2:01 pm CST

HELP WITH MY LIFE

Ok I have been divorced for the past 7 years.  I have had one terrible relationship in that whole time and no dates.  No its not that Im a complete dog either.  But Im really not sure what it is.  I teach aerobics and run a cafe in a gym.  You think I would meet at least one guy in all this time.  Whats up.  I can't beleive that Im destine to be single because if that was the case Im sure god would take away the desire in my heart.  I have'nt really done the online thing either because thats just not my thing.  Besides I live in Hawaii the chances of the guy liveing close enougth for me to meet is slim to none.  Am I being to picky or what.  How do I get out of this rut Im in.  Oh yea I don't do the bar scene, any surgestions would be appreciated. 

November 13, 2005, 7:06 pm CST

re: does online daing really work

Quote From: lbibelle

I've only been trying the online dating thing for about 6 months - I've tried several different sites, posted different things on each... pictures, etc... to no avail.  Men either generally want one thing which you can find out rather quickly or they tend to lie about what they look like (one man put up a picture of his brother because and I quote "he's better looking than me")  HELP... even the E Harmony thing didn't work! 

I'm definately not a success story of on-line dating but i am still a fan. In March, I will be an online dater for about a year. One thing I can say is online dating is it will provide you with as much as you put into it. When I have more time and desire to correspond I tend to go on a couple dates a week. When I get lazy it gets slow. I have met some very nice men, went on very nice dates, and had second and third dates with a number of men. No one has asked for sex, been rude, or out of the realm of what i want---and all this w/o a picture posted.  

It is true people that people will lie about what they look like (with not so true pictures), how much that earn, and what they are looking for in another person. But does that really matter????? Its hard to know if you are attracted to a person before you get to know them a bit anyway.  I think its important to stay open minded and atleast consider the idea that is somone is attracted to you then they may be right. I hear a lot of people complain about people not responding to them and then compain about the people who reach out to them. I say give on-line dating a chance and as soon as there is any indication of a person wanting sex--such as the first 'off' comment--nip it in the bud and say you're not interested.  

November 13, 2005, 7:34 pm CST

thank you

Quote From: jennbl123

I'm definately not a success story of on-line dating but i am still a fan. In March, I will be an online dater for about a year. One thing I can say is online dating is it will provide you with as much as you put into it. When I have more time and desire to correspond I tend to go on a couple dates a week. When I get lazy it gets slow. I have met some very nice men, went on very nice dates, and had second and third dates with a number of men. No one has asked for sex, been rude, or out of the realm of what i want---and all this w/o a picture posted.  

It is true people that people will lie about what they look like (with not so true pictures), how much that earn, and what they are looking for in another person. But does that really matter????? Its hard to know if you are attracted to a person before you get to know them a bit anyway.  I think its important to stay open minded and atleast consider the idea that is somone is attracted to you then they may be right. I hear a lot of people complain about people not responding to them and then compain about the people who reach out to them. I say give on-line dating a chance and as soon as there is any indication of a person wanting sex--such as the first 'off' comment--nip it in the bud and say you're not interested.  

I just wanted to say thank you for the advice and actually - different side of the situation (about getting to know someone before you can really say you're truly interested or like them).  I didn't think about it in that light & that's important in this online dating world of ours!  Let's hope that this month brings about a little change.   

November 17, 2005, 6:30 pm CST

Hmmm

Quote From: fittcathee

Ok I have been divorced for the past 7 years.  I have had one terrible relationship in that whole time and no dates.  No its not that Im a complete dog either.  But Im really not sure what it is.  I teach aerobics and run a cafe in a gym.  You think I would meet at least one guy in all this time.  Whats up.  I can't beleive that Im destine to be single because if that was the case Im sure god would take away the desire in my heart.  I have'nt really done the online thing either because thats just not my thing.  Besides I live in Hawaii the chances of the guy liveing close enougth for me to meet is slim to none.  Am I being to picky or what.  How do I get out of this rut Im in.  Oh yea I don't do the bar scene, any surgestions would be appreciated. 

Hmmm..you live in hawaii and you cant score yourself a cute dude! COMMON go to the beaches, or a really cool hang out place and look your best and meet some cute guy you can do it! have some faith!! I live in Canada so usually the best hang out places are on the slopes! whenever christmas holiday comes along my friends and i go up to the nearest mountain and start snowboarding and WE MEET SOOO MANY CUTE GUYS! im sure if there were beaches around here we'd meet even more nice guys! You have that advantage of seeing hot hawaian boy's with no shirts on..on your gorgeous beaches and YOU CANT FIND SOMEONE! ..keep me posted...my suggestion to you..is go out and have fun man!

November 19, 2005, 2:50 am CST

on line dating

I live in UK and have recently been dating on line. Mate got me on there for a laugh but it has actually been fun and have met some interesting guys . Only ben on for a month now and have made some good friend so far. However, yu can get on great via enail and phone but if the chemistry isn't there when you meet then it is disappointing and I have yet to meet someone who wows me to the point of wanting to see them again romantically although still keep in touch via mail and phone as don't believe it is fair to lead anyone on. 

I am new to the internet and was getting nice mail then a couple pulled me up short as they were rude and offensive so made me more aware that not evferyone out there is for real and genuine!! 

I have a couple dates lined up so fingers crossed that Mr right is out there for me one day. 

Maybe I am fussy but rather be happy single than settle for 2nd rate relationship and be unhappy!! 

Getting older sometimes gets scarey on your own but dont need a guy but would want someone there  who would meet me half way.and be strong themselves to be confident to let me be me!! 

Hope everyone finds what they are looking for 

Just dont settle through fear 

November 20, 2005, 8:52 am CST

I Must Be Doing Something Wrong

Quote From: meganawade

Ha ha ha!  Where do you want to start....I've got a couple...

Misadventurs of On Line Dating.  I have met several very nice guy on line.  Some have become great friends.  There was no spark between us but we had so much in common we decided to be just friends.  You can never have too many friends....now for the misadventures.  I have met two different guys with the same outcome.  We emailed, instant messaged and spoke on the phone for hours on end.  We would discuss everything, and I do mean everything.  Finally we would meet, go out on several dates and really have great times.  With both there was a mutual attraction, common interests etc.  Then a day comes when we have a difference of opinion or some type of disagreement.  These men I spoke to for weeks disappear.  It's like they fell off the face of the earth. They don't take phone calls, respond to emails, or talk on messanger.  The minute we find a issue we don't agree on they can't deal with it.  There is no communication.  What gives.  I am an honest person and I don't sleep around.  My personal values are discussed day one so that isn't the issue.  With one guy it was the marriage issue.  I'm not looking for a husband but I would like to someday settle down with my soulmate.  Well this guy said he will NEVER marry again so he stopped communicating with me.  He feels there is no way we can date because down the road I will want more.   The second one was the issue of how often we will get together and a statement I made that I would like to be somewhat a priority in the life of the guy I am dating. I still haven't heard from him.  He was upset because he felt I was demanding he go on a date with me instead of taking care of chores at his house.  How do you get a great guy that you can talk to about anything, communicate instead of running away when an issue arises.  What am I doing so wrong.  The second guy I really care about and can see my self falling deeply in love with.  But he won't talk to me because he misunderstood an email I sent to him.  I can't fix the problem if he won't communicate.  I have left messages and emails, I have apologized for the miscommunication. 

Why can't men face an issue.  I feel I lost my soulmate in this one.  We were great together. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last