Message Boards

Topic : 06/18 The Dr. Phil House: House of Hatred

Number of Replies: 566
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:48:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/23/06) Dr. Phil conducts a groundbreaking social experiment. Six individuals from different walks of life, with different judgments and prejudices live under the same roof in an attempt to break down the walls of hatred and intolerance. Gary, 26, is a white supremacist who hates all people of other races. B., 58, is an African-American woman who thinks all white people are "ignorant sociopaths." Staci, 22, is a thin woman who thinks obese people are "disgusting blobs" and not people at all. John, 24, is over 600 pounds and hates skinny people. Christina, 22, believes all homosexuals are sinners. Tessa, 19, is a lesbian who hates straight people. Dr. Phil puts them to the test with assignments that force them to work together with their adversary. It doesn’t take long for hostility to break out, sending Dr. Phil over to the house, saying, “This has got to stop.” Will these guests learn acceptance, or turn on each other? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 22, 2006, 4:23 pm CDT

Who are we to judge another?

Who are we to judge another being? The thing is that most prejudice stems from insecure and uneducated backgrounds. Most of these people do not know any better, they probably were raised to hated anything different or unknown to them.

I had a brother who had cancer at the age of 5 and lost all of his hair due to treatment. Both adults and kids would stare and point at him because he was bald. I remember one time he had a wig on and someone made a negative comment about it, causing him to cry, this dying boy to cry. He never wore that wig again.

When people see something or someone different I believe that they are scared and instead of wanting to get to know that person or feel for that person they tend to act ignorant. I blame their parents and how they were raised.

We should all stop judging and worrying about other people and what they're doing or what color they are and start worrying about themselves.

October 22, 2006, 5:14 pm CDT

Is The American Society At Fault????

It is clear as day light why people have issues with people whom are different from them, whether it is race, same sex relationships, or body size.  For example, why do some people who are over weight hate people who are in proportion for their size? Is it possible, society believes that thin is beautiful. You can just open up any magazine and count on one hand how many over weight people are in any advisements. How about commercials, next time your watching t.v within the next half an hour count how many people you see that are in commercials that are over weight. If, you do see them in a commericial it is a possibility it's for losing weight.

Now all of these statements are just my opinion because I'm not an expert, or have any statistics. I'm just giving you something to think about , or make you go mmmmmmmmmmm...............

People hating each other because of a different race can be from a number of things. One, its possible it can be from how the person was raised. It is possible that their parents hated an opposite race, and now have poison their child's mind with hatred. Now it becomes a cycle. Two, one race may feel inferior towards another race resulting into hatred. Three, one race may feel society may not treat them equally  and favoring the other race, resulting into hatred.

Four, the gay community may hate the straight community because they are looked down upon. This is a most hated community among all prejudices across the board and throughout the world. The Gay community recognizes this, and it is a possible some within this Gay community may hate straight people because of this. The bottom line is we live in a world of diversity and the question is, Is The American  Society At Fault? Now I'm going to make you go mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Look at the school system, the government, religion, parental skills, the media, and the people who live within our society. If all the above would address these serious issue, and would change the system of things-America's Society  making it an equal one today, right now, the generation of tomorrow can have a chance for change. Meaning from infancy  the teaching of impartiality can be taught. Meaning that these very infants develop unbiased traits becoming adults, who then will make up a better American Society. If America's Society ethics do not become un-done, or un-glued from their citizens minds, and souls we as people will have fail the generation of tomorrow leaving them to clean up this cataclysmic mess, unfortunately, if society is not repair, it will always have people like the people who reside in the  House Of Hatred.

October 22, 2006, 6:52 pm CDT

10/23 The Dr. Phil House: House of Hatred

All of the ones saying we should just love and accept everyone I would like to ask this question do you look a street person in the eye when you pass them by? Do you think to yourself well if I give this person money they are just going to buy alcohol or drugs with it? When you pass a man on the street who has lots of tattoos, wearing jeans with holes in them and a torn t-shirt do you cross to the other side thinking this is some member of a gang? Do you ride down the road and pass a person on a motorcycle wearing leather and hope and pray the stop light up ahead doesn't catch you so you won't have to sit beside this person in traffic? How many of you stand over the plumber when he comes to do work on your sink? Answer honestly and then tell me how accepting you are of everyone in society.

October 22, 2006, 8:19 pm CDT

Quote From: powers009

All of the ones saying we should just love and accept everyone I would like to ask this question do you look a street person in the eye when you pass them by? Do you think to yourself well if I give this person money they are just going to buy alcohol or drugs with it? When you pass a man on the street who has lots of tattoos, wearing jeans with holes in them and a torn t-shirt do you cross to the other side thinking this is some member of a gang? Do you ride down the road and pass a person on a motorcycle wearing leather and hope and pray the stop light up ahead doesn't catch you so you won't have to sit beside this person in traffic? How many of you stand over the plumber when he comes to do work on your sink? Answer honestly and then tell me how accepting you are of everyone in society.
I've been personally on the side of being judged or part of being harassed for one superficial thing or another that I feel I can safely say that I realize that at any given time I could see someone not in their best moment, or what ever superficial thing there is I don't know the story behind it.

As for homeless people? I will say hi, I will look at them but I never give them money. I give my spare change to charity's for the homeless. (They are all over the place in my city.) The money goes to help soup kitchens and the food bank and other things that help support the homeless.

This is a different topic then simply judging someone because they have tattoo's.

October 22, 2006, 9:30 pm CDT

Quote From: powers009

All of the ones saying we should just love and accept everyone I would like to ask this question do you look a street person in the eye when you pass them by? Do you think to yourself well if I give this person money they are just going to buy alcohol or drugs with it?

*I don't know if I've ever looked them exactly in the eye but I have glanced at them with a friendly smile. And when/if I decide to give them money, I do think about what they will do with it but only for a minute because then I just feel proud of myself for giving something to someone less fortunate than myself.

When you pass a man on the street who has lots of tattoos, wearing jeans with holes in them and a torn t-shirt do you cross to the other side thinking this is some member of a gang?

*Absolutely not! But maybe thats because I LOVE tattoos.... & as far as the torn jeans & t-shirt, a lot of people wear torn clothes so that doesn't bother me either.

Do you ride down the road and pass a person on a motorcycle wearing leather and hope and pray the stop light up ahead doesn't catch you so you won't have to sit beside this person in traffic?

*Again, no. I have NOTHING against motorcyclists either, one of my best friends is one & some of  my mom's friends are motorcyclists as well & I get along with them just fine.

How many of you stand over the plumber when he comes to do work on your sink? Answer honestly and then tell me how accepting you are of everyone in society.

*I sure haven't! I live with my grandmother & when we had the heating guy come to our house (a few times), he went & did his work on our heater which is just in the hallway & we stayed in the living room on the couch until he was done.

**Yes, I answered VERY HONESTLY! I have family & friends from all walks of life & my parents & grandparents taught me to treat others with the same respect that I wanted to be treated with! We ALL need to learn to NEVER judge a book by its cover & to not condemn someone of a certain race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc just because we might've had a bad experience with one or a few of any of those beings. We need to be bringing everyone of all diversities together & treating them as equals, not  pushing them away and/or condemning them because they're different.

October 23, 2006, 1:01 am CDT

too much hate

this world has too much hate in it,  we are all children of God regardless of what church you believe in, it should'nt matter what color your skin is, how big or small you are, whether you are straight or gay. we aren't put on this earth to hate someone just cause they are different, if we were all the same the world would be a boring place, different is good. we are suppose to help one another, there's too much hate and not enough love in this world.    colt66

October 23, 2006, 5:41 am CDT

Hello. I think that everyone should just get along. Everybody is going to be different. This is a good way for them to learn that people are going to be different. But one thing I do have to say is that John just proved to everyone on some of the reasons why Stai hates fat people. She had said that fat people are lazy and they smell. Well I personnally think that John just proved that to everyone because when Dr. Phil gave them a task of cleaning up he was the only one that did not do anything. And then when asked to take a shower he refused. If he wanted people to believe that fat people are not lazy and do not smell then he would have done the work and taken a shower. He should have at least proven Staci wrong, but did not. I personally do not look at someone for what they look like but for what they are and I think that is what everyone should do. Look at the person from the inside and not what they look like on the outside.

October 23, 2006, 6:21 am CDT

Amen!!!

Quote From: teresakennedy

Who are we to judge another being? The thing is that most prejudice stems from insecure and uneducated backgrounds. Most of these people do not know any better, they probably were raised to hated anything different or unknown to them.

I had a brother who had cancer at the age of 5 and lost all of his hair due to treatment. Both adults and kids would stare and point at him because he was bald. I remember one time he had a wig on and someone made a negative comment about it, causing him to cry, this dying boy to cry. He never wore that wig again.

When people see something or someone different I believe that they are scared and instead of wanting to get to know that person or feel for that person they tend to act ignorant. I blame their parents and how they were raised.

We should all stop judging and worrying about other people and what they're doing or what color they are and start worrying about themselves.

I agree 100%to everything you have said,Teresa. I come from a family of 20 counting myself.  Some are very dark skinned and some look like indian. That's because my Great  Gramma was pure Indian and my Great Grandpa was black. My father was so ashamed of the black in us and wouldn't talk to us about it unless he was drunk.There isn't one of us that are like him.

I also have a sister who is a lesbian. She is the sweetest person. My family don't talk to her about it much but my daughter and I do and she loves that we take an interest in her life.

I am "obese" and I am working on it. I understand what obese people mean when they say how some people treat them. People like that do not know what they are talking about unless they have been there themselves. Overeating is a very big part of it but it's what causes the overeating that matters.

I say " Clean of your own doorstep before judging others. Leave that up to God.

October 23, 2006, 7:34 am CDT

The line that struck me so far

B was talking to the camera about Gary.  She said he was the "racist".  It struck me as funny, because she doesn't realize she is a racist as well.  Each person doesn't realize their own prejudice.  The anti fat girl thinks she is right and everyone else is wrong.  The obese guy thinks all skinny people are conceited jerks.  The lesbian thinks all heterosexuals are mindless breeders.  The homophobe believes lesbians are sickening.  It's ALL prejudice; but not to the person who holds these beliefs. 

Another thing B. said was all life began in Africa.  I don't believe that.  I don't buy into the theory of evolution; does that make me an ignorant racist?  Dr. Phil seems to think so.  He agrees with B.  B. said something that sounded smart; that makes her right?  Racism is sometimes misconstrued.  For example, just because I don't believe that ANY human being came from an inferior monkey-type being doesn't make me ignorant or a racist.  I know people who believe that only African Americans came from a monkey race, and I thinks that's just stupid.  So technically B. was agreeing with all the white racists I've ever come into contact with.  People have made so much of the whole politically correct debate now people have to tread on eggshells just to keep from being called prejudiced.  Personally, I'm tired of it.  You're entitled to your beliefs and opinions and I'm entitled to mine.  I have been a victim of prejudice myself, but I just see these people as losers who have esteem issues and take it out on those who differ from them.  Your color means nothing to me.  The way you treat me speaks volumes.  It ain't color or physical appearance, it's the condition of your heart that makes you good or bad.

October 23, 2006, 7:39 am CDT

letting go

I have watched the first half of this episode and I am so tired of people not moving forward. I am white and I am NOT racist at all. I wish the black people would move past the slave days , and move into the future of life. That was how many years ago??  It's not going on now.  I was a house keeper for 5 yrs. and I don't look at that as a bad thing. The older black lady on the show seems to be just angry at life in general and wants an opportunity to attack.

The white guy is stubborn and is living with just as much ignorance as the lady.

It is so sad that people see color or size instead of people.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last