Message Boards

Topic : 07/20 Fifty and Fabulous!

Number of Replies: 145
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:50:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/24/06) Aging used to be a word that made women cringe, but now 30 is the new 20, and 40 is the new 30. Along with his wife, Robin, Dr. Phil talks to fantastic 50-something women! Donna is 52 and says her 22-year-old son, Anthony, disapproves of her frequenting the same clubs he goes to. Anthony says his mom likes to stay out until 4:00 in the morning, date guys his age and wear revealing clothes. Will Anthony learn to accept his mom’s lifestyle? Then, Dori says she’s clueless about fashion. She wears jeans and a ponytail every day, and has only bought two new outfits in 20 years! Robin and fashion expert Cojo come to the rescue! Plus, the big prize winner in Robin's “50 and Fabulous!” search is revealed, and Dr. Phil and Robin honor an inspiring woman who helps ailing children of war. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2006, 3:57 pm CDT

10/24 Fifty and Fabulous!

Quote From: beth93

I AM 39 YEARS OLD  AND TRULY INSPIRED BY ROBIN MCGRAW

ROBIN  MCGRAW  IS  TRULY  MY  ROLE  MODEL.   I  PRAY  THAT  I  HAVE

THE  SAME  GRACE  AND  CLASSINESS  AS  SHE  WHEN  I  AM  IN  MY

50'S !

I LOVE MOST OF HER QUOTES IN HER BOOK !  I LOVE HOW SHE

REMINDS  OF DR. PHIL'S QUOTES ABOUT  MAKING CHOICES.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE  DR. PHIL WRITES IN HIS BOOKS:

"WE FEAR WHAT WE CREATE ."

ROBIN, THANK YOU FOR CONTINUALLY BEING THERE FOR ME!

I LOVE YOU DEARLY !!

ELIZABETH MICHELLE HEPNER  ( BETH93)

I am only 37, I tell ya I don't look any where near as good as Robin does at 50.... something isn't right here!

October 24, 2006, 4:19 pm CDT

makeup is phony baloney

My wife & I are both 55.  She doesn't wear any makeup, and looks totally foxy without it, as always.  Hey folks, get out and walk, exercise, don't be fat, think, read, hang out with people of all ages.  Being a certain age is nothing to worry about.  Get more involved with some hobby, art, sport, music, fun activity whatever, and stop worrying about whether you look like some movie star with 20 pounds of makeup, shoes that make you trip, and racoon eyes.  You'll be more fun that way.

October 24, 2006, 4:36 pm CDT

true but it dose enhanse a womans natural beauty

Quote From: captinrocketer

My wife & I are both 55.  She doesn't wear any makeup, and looks totally foxy without it, as always.  Hey folks, get out and walk, exercise, don't be fat, think, read, hang out with people of all ages.  Being a certain age is nothing to worry about.  Get more involved with some hobby, art, sport, music, fun activity whatever, and stop worrying about whether you look like some movie star with 20 pounds of makeup, shoes that make you trip, and racoon eyes.  You'll be more fun that way.

October 24, 2006, 4:47 pm CDT

Older Women Younger Men Double Standard

Dr. Phil,
I am setting here watching today's show. I just dropped my mouth!!  You agreed with the son who's mother was dating younger men, at the age of 50, that it was "creepy".  What about the men who date younger women and nothing is seen wrong with it.  Come on, stop with the double standard!   So she is 50 and the men are in their 30's.  I say she should go for it.  I have dated a man who is 18 years my junior and after 12 years this month we are still best friends and lovers.  He has been there for it all; happiness, cancer, sadness, fun, and much more. He is someone that I can always count on and he on me.  No, we don't live together, he doesn't take my money, I don't take his, and neither of us want to get married. I've been married and in my eyes it just wasn't right for me. Sure I can date men my age but I don't care to go that route. It's about time this double standard stops and women can do the same as men and not catch hell for it!   "What is good for the goose is good for the gander and visea versa!"

October 24, 2006, 5:08 pm CDT

fifty and fabulous

Quote From: lucky24

I think feeling fabulous at 50 is great and plan to be that way myself.  BUT...I was disappointed that Dr. Phil didn't give Donna a wakeup call.  No mother needs to be out "partying" at the same clubs and bars her adult son frequents.  Parents who engage in that kind of recreation just look pathetic.  I'm sure there are plenty of other places Donna could go that would still be fun without being embarrassing to her children.  Dressing like a teenager, and acting like one, in your 50's is not exactly what I would call fabulous.  And dating young men your sons age?  That's just gross.  I cannot believe she doesn't understand how inappropriate that all feels to her son.  I know he's grown and her job is supposedly done, but no matter how old he gets to be she will always be his mother - even if she doesn't want to act like it.
I agree with you.  Although Donna was attractive, she did look her age.  Why would an attractive young man in his thirtys date a woman that old?  I would suspect a money issue.  Possibly they think of themselves as gigolos.  Also, it looks silly to dress like a 20 year old when in your fiftys.  I think her son is embarrassed, as well he should be.  The make over looked good on the other lady, and was age appropriate.  I didn't like the skirt, but that's just me

October 24, 2006, 5:09 pm CDT

fabulous 93yr old aunt

Dear Dr.Phil and Robin,

I watched your show(as I usually do)today.  While watching I thought of my Aunt Irene who will be 94 next July 11th.  She is a breast cancer survior(among other), delivered meals on wheels up until a couple of years ago.  She has class, a very great dresser.  She has it all together!!  She also has several sibblings still living(my dad who is 91and handsome).  In watching I thought she is more beautiful inside and out than the 50+ year olds.  Just had to let you know!!  I am so proud!!

Thank you Helen

October 24, 2006, 5:10 pm CDT

Sounds like you .......

Quote From: mamamoo11

I am 54 and in an endless rut. I work, come home, watch TV go to sleep and start all over again the next day. I don't go out much anymore since my husband passed 9 years ago. I love to bowl but don't do that anymore. I have hardley no teeth. (due to illness) i cut my own hair,don't smile much anymore either. I make myself presentable for work. When I am not at work i don't care what i look like. like old jeans and T shirts or sweat shirts. I'm fat too. I had gastric partition many years ago. Lost a lot of weight only to gain it back when I got pregnant. I love my daughter very much, she is 20 now. She keeps telling me to get out more. I was never one to go out by myself. I have many friends but they are younger than me. When I am with them, I feel out of place. So what is so great about being 50?

Go see your MD for a referral to a counselor.  Drug therapy without someone to talk with you won't help alone either.   Talking with family members doesn't work either.  It just gives them more to deal with in their daily life.  Go for help before you are 55 and in an even further endless rut.  Good Luck.

October 24, 2006, 5:12 pm CDT

Loved the show except the make-over segment

So what is wrong with shopping at Goodwill and the Salvation Army?  I hate to buy expensive clothes that has no value after you spend the big bucks.

I get most of my clothes at those stores and garage sales.  Why? Because most people buy on impulse and then don't want or can't fit into the clothes.  Then I get the goodies for a tenth of the price they paid. Stylish and really good, in style clothes.

I  think it's fitting and funny where the sponsors of today's show are listed on the side bar and included in it is a loan company.  The loan company is where you end up when you get in the habit of buying Prada.  LOL TV sells things so remember that when you watch Dr. Phil and Oprah. 

It would be nice to have a TV show and when you mention a brand they send you a boat load of their products but until then I will go to the discount clothes stores.  I just bought some very nice tops with brand names at Goodwill last week.

As far as a make-over in the salon most of us can't afford to go but once a year, if that much.  Did you ask the make-over woman if she can afford to keep up with the salon visits and shopping? NO, most of us out here in TV land can't afford it either.  Robin is pretty but she has the money to get the facials, etc. 

Let's not set ourselves up for disappointment or bankruptsy to keep up with the rich and famous.

October 24, 2006, 5:18 pm CDT

lookin' better over 50

I don't know about you, Anthony,  but your mother is "hot". She looks damn good in jeans. And, at the age of 52!!!?? Hot mama. I mean that in a very complimentary way and with all due respect. My wife would have been 51. She'd always been a knock-out and I bet she would have been today, no doubt. Do you know what that feels like, to have men look and gawd at your wife. What a rush!! What a compliment!!!!

I'm 56 years young man. But, I do not want to do what Donna does, i.e. go "clubbing", staying out all night and be drinking. That is my choice. Besides, it very unhealthy, you know, the drinking and staying out all night. I've been there and done it, but I was in my 20's. Yeah, I loved it. Oh, I like to dance and with the right partner, even provocatively. Now, for me, that is healthy--physically, mentally, emotionally and sexually (in the good way).

Hey, I love to listen to music--all types. Now, if Donna considers Carlos Santana, The Eagles, The Doobie Brothers, Vince Gill, Bonnie Raitt, Sade, the 50's stuff, the 60's & 70's (which I'm sure Donna grew up listening to) as "older music", well, that's her prerogotive.

Damn, Donna you're attractive and vibrant.You've got so much energy. I agree with you in a lot of things like having fun. And just because you're 52? Yes, have a life! But, is that the only time that you can have "a life" is on weekends? Partying? How about Monday? Tuesday? Wednesday? Hey, girl, it's your life(style). No problem with me. Who am I to judge you. I'm four years older then you.

C'mon, Anthony. Playing bingo? Knitting? Rocking chair (how about rock n roll?). I love being in my 50's. Don't want any other age--nada! Your mom does too. But, I agree with you. Your mom should  not be hangin' with your buddies, dating them, or hangin' out at the same places either. Not good, not good at all.

Me, I want to grow older but with a little "grace". I am at an acceptional weight. I exercise daily--physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.  I do not drink or drug and I get my rest when my body says so, in most cases at night time. I do have some setbacks like a heavy dose of hotcakes, eggs and potatoes just about every morning. And, I should eat more regularly, fruit, vegetable and all those nutritional stuff. My children (I think) love me and are proud about my fitness. My grandchildren always tell me, "I love you papa!" Wow, what else can I ask for? 

Yes, I want to look good and feel good for as long as I can. Donna, I'm sure you do to. If you want to continue that lifestyle, well than go for it. But, I bet you if you really, really looked harder, you'd find just the right guy, closer to your age, and would be able to enjoy and keep up with your lifestyle. Go for it girl!!

As Ward Cleaver once told Beaver, "As you go through life, strive to improve yourself, not prove yourself".        Peace and Good Luck! 

October 24, 2006, 5:46 pm CDT

I so agree with you!!

Quote From: janelle144

So what is wrong with shopping at Goodwill and the Salvation Army?  I hate to buy expensive clothes that has no value after you spend the big bucks.

I get most of my clothes at those stores and garage sales.  Why? Because most people buy on impulse and then don't want or can't fit into the clothes.  Then I get the goodies for a tenth of the price they paid. Stylish and really good, in style clothes.

I  think it's fitting and funny where the sponsors of today's show are listed on the side bar and included in it is a loan company.  The loan company is where you end up when you get in the habit of buying Prada.  LOL TV sells things so remember that when you watch Dr. Phil and Oprah. 

It would be nice to have a TV show and when you mention a brand they send you a boat load of their products but until then I will go to the discount clothes stores.  I just bought some very nice tops with brand names at Goodwill last week.

As far as a make-over in the salon most of us can't afford to go but once a year, if that much.  Did you ask the make-over woman if she can afford to keep up with the salon visits and shopping? NO, most of us out here in TV land can't afford it either.  Robin is pretty but she has the money to get the facials, etc. 

Let's not set ourselves up for disappointment or bankruptsy to keep up with the rich and famous.

Everything you said is soo true. How many of us can afford to go and get our hair styled/colored etc. As I sit here right now, I just bleached my own earlier and will color it in the morn. I also have lots of really cute clothes from Goodwill and Garage Sales! Sorry husband just came up, I will finish later... But right on sister!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last