Message Boards

Topic : 07/20 Fifty and Fabulous!

Number of Replies: 145
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:50:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/24/06) Aging used to be a word that made women cringe, but now 30 is the new 20, and 40 is the new 30. Along with his wife, Robin, Dr. Phil talks to fantastic 50-something women! Donna is 52 and says her 22-year-old son, Anthony, disapproves of her frequenting the same clubs he goes to. Anthony says his mom likes to stay out until 4:00 in the morning, date guys his age and wear revealing clothes. Will Anthony learn to accept his mom’s lifestyle? Then, Dori says she’s clueless about fashion. She wears jeans and a ponytail every day, and has only bought two new outfits in 20 years! Robin and fashion expert Cojo come to the rescue! Plus, the big prize winner in Robin's “50 and Fabulous!” search is revealed, and Dr. Phil and Robin honor an inspiring woman who helps ailing children of war. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2006, 6:01 pm CDT

I'm the Younger Woman

Quote From: happyand56

Dr. Phil,
I am setting here watching today's show. I just dropped my mouth!!  You agreed with the son who's mother was dating younger men, at the age of 50, that it was "creepy".  What about the men who date younger women and nothing is seen wrong with it.  Come on, stop with the double standard!   So she is 50 and the men are in their 30's.  I say she should go for it.  I have dated a man who is 18 years my junior and after 12 years this month we are still best friends and lovers.  He has been there for it all; happiness, cancer, sadness, fun, and much more. He is someone that I can always count on and he on me.  No, we don't live together, he doesn't take my money, I don't take his, and neither of us want to get married. I've been married and in my eyes it just wasn't right for me. Sure I can date men my age but I don't care to go that route. It's about time this double standard stops and women can do the same as men and not catch hell for it!   "What is good for the goose is good for the gander and visea versa!"
I'm 35 and my husband 50 and we have a fantastic relationship!  I have a daughter 15 who he adores and he has 3 sons (24,21,18) who call me more than their dad.  After 10 yrs of marriage to my ex husband (who was my age) we called it quits over the almighty dollar.  My current husbands ex wife took a look at me and after throwing 25+years of marriage away, only to have her ex hubby end up with a young thin woman, decided to get gastric bypass and a boob job!  So hey I got the gift she thew away and she got the motivation she needed to boost her self esteem!  My husband and I hardly ever argue, when we do it's a good one, but we're best friends as well as partners, lovers, and husband and wife.  I used to get ticked off at peoples ignorance assuming I was his daughter but now I just laugh at their stupidity.  I say if it works then go for it!

October 24, 2006, 6:10 pm CDT

better make-over

I think a better make-over would be to take the person shopping at stores that the normal person can actually afford, and show them how to pull an outfit together. Same with hair and make-up...give them the tools & tricks that they can actually afford and be able to keep up the look. Robin always looks great, and I really enjoy when she participates in the show...BUT....I really wish she would lose the leather! Wearing dead animals is not fashionable!

October 24, 2006, 6:16 pm CDT

Sixty and Sensational and Sassy

I just watched the 50 and fabulous show. Tomorrow I will be 60, and I  feel fine about entering another  new decade.

I have been a single parent for the last 17 years. My husband was killed in an accident , and I have managed to enjoy wonderful mother friends and nice neighbors. I have a delightful job teaching, and I volunteer to usher for Broadway plays, operas, ballet and shows.

I enjoy our 2 children and how they have grown and met their challenges.

I look forward to a show of yours about my group of ladies at Sixty and Sensational!

October 24, 2006, 8:21 pm CDT

enjoyin life at 50 and over

Hi  Robin & Dr Phil

I saw todays show and it was great I just turned 53 two weeks ago and I feel awesome.I love  jeans and and I love to look sexy I haven't always felt this way because I belt with low self esteem for so long . But that has changed  my daughters  talk about me all the time it encourages them in what to look for when they get 50 .I was afraid to get into  relationship but I decided to go on and  try  I'm glade I did  We should have a coming out party for 50 and over lol

I think you are a lovely lady

October 24, 2006, 9:05 pm CDT

dr phil dose thet fashon expert you had on the show help guys as well?

im shure thers alot of us that could relly use some good advice as how to look our best for the gals, i know i shure as hell could.

October 24, 2006, 9:29 pm CDT

SIXTY, SEXY, SINGLE, HEALTHY, HAPPY & LOVED

Hi Dr. Phil,

I have been an avid and supportive fan of yours since your association with Oprah.(Hadn't heard of you before than!:) Thank you for helping to inform more people that aging should be embraced with joy, happiness and thankfulness for being alive. As the saying goes, you have two choices, getting older or death. I  prefer the former!

After 59 years in the midwest, I packed up all my worldly belongings and moved west. This is the beginning of the rest of my life.

I just want others to know, that this growing older thing is beautiful.  With age, I have become wiser, more confident, more vociferous, less and less judgmental, more patient, less tolerant of ignorance, more humble,  fearless, sexier, more health conscience. I revel in the fact that I am happier, freer," a rebel with a cause", soaking up the rays in Arizona and enjoying all the activities I never had time for while climbing the ladder of success.  I am a "spiritual being" having an extra-ordinary "human experience" and when my great grandchildren(maybe my great great grandchildren) ask me about my life, I will have enough stories for an Original Book with several sequels.

The sunsets are more beautiful, the skies are bluer, the days are full of the promise of new adventures, new places, new people, new friends and there are at least 69 species of hummingbirds that come to my feeder everyday!

Life is good! I cannot stop the aging process but I sure don't have to grow old without having lived!  I want to be able to have the quality of life I have now or better until the day I die, whenever that will be. As was quoted before, "The Past is history, The Future a Mystery, The Present a gift from GOD!"

Live, Love, Laugh, and Learn

Happy to be here!

Lauren 

October 24, 2006, 10:00 pm CDT

jamelle144 and babybombev. I'm almost positive we're not in a leaque all our own !

Quote From: babybombev

Everything you said is soo true. How many of us can afford to go and get our hair styled/colored etc. As I sit here right now, I just bleached my own earlier and will color it in the morn. I also have lots of really cute clothes from Goodwill and Garage Sales! Sorry husband just came up, I will finish later... But right on sister!!!!

janelle144 and babybombev, I'm sure we're not in a leaque of our own,

Due to a permanent layoff and my present occupation "office appropriate wardrobe" is no longer required. However, I truly believe, that were it required, I too, would continue to take advantage of the bargains gained off the "sometimes impulse purchases" of others.

A fun outtng for me is finding something that fits, or can upgrade something I already have, or for someone else. The bonus of course being, I've found the item the 2nd time around (at least) and much cheaper than it's original ticket price.

Having a somewhat normal income, I believe there's no shame in giving a new life to an unwanted piece of clothing, or other used item and therefore saving it from "landfill" as well. Being 50+ and thrifty, has it's rewards as well, saving here, sometimes allows for another pleasure to take place with those dollars now made available, such as a great dinner, with perhaps a movie, etc.

Besides, In my particular case, I'm not aware of any designers making ANYTHING ! for older, but not dead, colour or style wise, larger petite's (under 5'3), with short arms and legs.  EVEN IF THEY DID, I'm sure the price tag would send me once again to where I can get more Bang for my Buck at least.

I've also had great luck and long life with all my used vehicles.  Looking now to my 4th purchase, the $30,000 new, is looking far less attractive than the 2004 I saw in an ad tonight for $7,000.

Until I win or acquire a LARGE amount of money (hopefully, just enough, not excessive).....and even then, I hope I wouldn't change that much.  I do believe saving here, can sometimes, IF NOT ALWAYS, benefit you in the future.

October 24, 2006, 10:20 pm CDT

I'm 52

Hi there Dr.Phil,Robin and friends,

I have to say that I was so happy when I turned 50 I felt great and not bad looking,( a few wrinkles but that's wisdom)  but best of all I felt alive. Turning 50 said to me now start living your life . So I bought a 2005 Mustang GT and began drag racing( at the track of course)What a blast. My grandchildren say the have the coolest grama and love to ride in my car.So I am now 52 and still drag racing 14sec. flat on the 1/4 mile at 102mph.I've had my ups and downs but that's life no matter what age.I am starting a new job and I believe my life is going to change even more.

October 24, 2006, 10:37 pm CDT

Fifty is Nifty, and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it ?

But, finding out today that Robin is older than Oprah, and that I'm the same age as Robin, leaves me almost wordless (and that is something).

First of all, I'm petite, another word for vertically challenged.  Up until the grey hair kicked in, I was still being called Miss.  Well into my 20's and 30's still getting carded in clubs and getting on the buses for a youth's fare.

I to agree with most and am enjoying my 50's decade the most, so far.  I only wish, I had have been this knowledgable, a long time earlier in life.  Since we might get clueless in old age (100 or so), it's too bad we can't be born smarter and lose it only when we might no longer have use for it.

Alas, great show, I'm looking forward to more on this "close to home" subject.  My Mum is looking forward to me getting Robin's book and reading it to her.  Her "Golden Years" are not bad, however, not what she expected.

October 24, 2006, 10:40 pm CDT

fifty & fabulous, greying and proud of it

Quote From: babybombev

Everything you said is soo true. How many of us can afford to go and get our hair styled/colored etc. As I sit here right now, I just bleached my own earlier and will color it in the morn. I also have lots of really cute clothes from Goodwill and Garage Sales! Sorry husband just came up, I will finish later... But right on sister!!!!

Liked the idea of the show, but a little disappointed with suggestions like heels are a requirement to qualify for fifty and fabulous.  This is often accompanied with a full range of must do's.  So often we hear the disdain for the emphasis our society places on the "ideal" figure and the impact this has on our daughters.  Yet not enough effort is placed in society to turn this around.  As a 50+ who refuses to color my hair, I can tell you I can be in a crowd of 2000 women and there will be 1997 women who color their hair--and only 3 of us that do not.  If we want to talk about being 50 and Fabulous, let's talk about stripping away the pretenses.  It is possible to feel good about who you are, what you look like without all the accoutrements of botox, tan, hair color, heels, outfit, manicure/pedicure, boob job and the rest!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last