Message Boards

Topic : 07/20 Fifty and Fabulous!

Number of Replies: 145
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:50:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/24/06) Aging used to be a word that made women cringe, but now 30 is the new 20, and 40 is the new 30. Along with his wife, Robin, Dr. Phil talks to fantastic 50-something women! Donna is 52 and says her 22-year-old son, Anthony, disapproves of her frequenting the same clubs he goes to. Anthony says his mom likes to stay out until 4:00 in the morning, date guys his age and wear revealing clothes. Will Anthony learn to accept his mom’s lifestyle? Then, Dori says she’s clueless about fashion. She wears jeans and a ponytail every day, and has only bought two new outfits in 20 years! Robin and fashion expert Cojo come to the rescue! Plus, the big prize winner in Robin's “50 and Fabulous!” search is revealed, and Dr. Phil and Robin honor an inspiring woman who helps ailing children of war. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 20, 2006, 3:29 pm CDT

Older Friends Who are Staying Young

Have not seen the show yet but know several "young" people in their 50's.  The key is they don't stop living their lives just because they hit a certain age.  They are active in the sense that most of them ride their Harleys every chance they get.  My husband, not one to ride a Harley, works a physically demanding job which keeps him alert and active.  There is also a lady in her upper 70's at my horse barn that still rides horses (and claims that she does not have the aches and pains that her friends have).  May we all be as active in a hobby or exercise at that age!  I admire positive older people who refuse to stop living because they've reached a certain era in their lives.

October 22, 2006, 6:49 pm CDT

10/24 Fifty and Fabulous!

I am 7 years away from being 50 and OIplan on being a "young" 50. I became a mom at 37 and 39 so I am sure I will need to keep up with my kiddos and that is exactly what I plan on doing. I have never really felt my age, as really it is a  just a  number. I was a newly wed around 30 and a new mom around 40 so it is gonna be a long time before I age.  Gotta take care of ourselves, be kind to oursleves and enjoy life........

October 24, 2006, 6:32 am CDT

lost Time

Is it possible she feels she has lost out on time meaning her youth. Some women started their families at a very young age, and now that their children are growth they want to explore the time capsule they once attain- their youth. Some women may start trying to fit into their daughter's clothing, or may find herself shopping in the same department. Some women may have the attitude of "they still have it, why not flaunt it" especially if they are fit. Some women may feel dressing younger makes them feel good, and look better. It could be a self esteem problem. It could be a numerous of things that make some women like Donna dress and act like she is in her 20's and not her 50's.  But, the true question is how should a women of any age dress? Can you really put an age  behind fashion with today's trends? My personal feelings of someone in their 50's they should dress classic such as Audrey Hepburn, or Rudy Dee. If you look at their old movies they were young, but the styles in the 50's,and 60's were very classic. The fashion world should bring those styles back. There are a lot of issues we can discuss about why women dress younger than they are, but if a women of any age is not comfortable in their own skin they are going to be very confuse when they get to the clothes rack, unfortunately their minds are not too far behind. This is a job for Robin, so Dr. Phil better leave this one alone.

IT'S A WOMEN THING.................................  Smile Phil

October 24, 2006, 7:18 am CDT

the 50's

hi im 52 and i dont feel good about myself right now i dated a guy who is 17 years my junior and it was going to be 5 years on thanksgiving.........he just sumped me cause i have a few health issues to deal with and he didnt like it he said when i met u you had all this energy well its 5 years later i have gained weight ( that comfortable zone)  and a few mental probs due to being homeless when we were living together he now has a job and a place to live i live in the YWCA in dayton i need some really extreme makeover cause even though im 52 i feel like im 82 and i dont like it......................... im also all alone now in ohio and have no family and no friends so i feel like im going farther down the hill

October 24, 2006, 7:37 am CDT

50's and fabulous

why is it i dont feel fabulous i dont have any clothes since the fire i certainly cant wear heels but i know that some new clothes and shoes will help me alot i wish i had some more energy please robin and dr phil cant u help me im living at the YWCA in dayton ohio with welfare to help me get by im always sad ,depressed and feeling very unloved and alone HELP ME TO FEEL GOOD AGAIN

October 24, 2006, 7:37 am CDT

Hooray to Robin "Who isn't getting older and is getting better".

BELOW IS A POEM I WROTE

...FABULOUS FIFTIES...
by: SEA
(Inspired by Robin McGraw)

F abulous in Fifties are Robin McGraw, Oprah and Dr. Phil
A nd Morgan Fairchild too as on Dr. Phil Show we all saw
B elieving in themselves and taking chances
U nderstanding fear is not something that enhances
L oving women who know SELF MATTERS includes them
O pening women's eyes so we see we are each a beautiful gem
U nique talents and gifts each one of us has
S ugar and spice and lots of strength and pizzazz

F inding standing up for one's self is an important goal
I nside our hearts our true destiny is deep in our soul
F eelings of love and passion and excitement will soar
T aking control of our authentic self to build a rapport
I nisde our hearts purpose awaits to be recognized and embraced
E nvisioning who God created each one of us to be
S o we know we belong and can set our true inner spirits free

October 24, 2006, 8:44 am CDT

Donna is wrong

I think feeling fabulous at 50 is great and plan to be that way myself.  BUT...I was disappointed that Dr. Phil didn't give Donna a wakeup call.  No mother needs to be out "partying" at the same clubs and bars her adult son frequents.  Parents who engage in that kind of recreation just look pathetic.  I'm sure there are plenty of other places Donna could go that would still be fun without being embarrassing to her children.  Dressing like a teenager, and acting like one, in your 50's is not exactly what I would call fabulous.  And dating young men your sons age?  That's just gross.  I cannot believe she doesn't understand how inappropriate that all feels to her son.  I know he's grown and her job is supposedly done, but no matter how old he gets to be she will always be his mother - even if she doesn't want to act like it.

October 24, 2006, 9:31 am CDT

Each Day Will Become Brighter

Quote From: mimaof2brats1

hi im 52 and i dont feel good about myself right now i dated a guy who is 17 years my junior and it was going to be 5 years on thanksgiving.........he just sumped me cause i have a few health issues to deal with and he didnt like it he said when i met u you had all this energy well its 5 years later i have gained weight ( that comfortable zone)  and a few mental probs due to being homeless when we were living together he now has a job and a place to live i live in the YWCA in dayton i need some really extreme makeover cause even though im 52 i feel like im 82 and i dont like it......................... im also all alone now in ohio and have no family and no friends so i feel like im going farther down the hill
Take this time that you have for yourself to re-discover YOU.......... Your circumstances will change in time, but you must be patience and look forward for tomorrow. Each day is a new start.  Some people who are a certain age and feel a lot older, it could be a possibility they're not eating properly making their bodies feel tire 90% of the time. A person intake of nutrients are very important. Your financial circumstances may be preventing you from eating properly, so I suggest maybe you can get some financial aid from the government. It appears that your depress, and due to your financial status your not able to afford to see a professional. My suggestion is go to your nearest library, or Barns and Nobles book store and go to the Self Help section. There you will find great books on Self Help issues. Your not alone, and can be helped. Your relationship with a person 17 years younger was a personal  one and an experience. An experience that will help you in your next chose. We all live and have learned from our past. Each experience should leave a person with wisdom. Whether it was a bad, or good relationship a person should be able to walk away with more knowledge than they had coming in the relationship. Whatever doesn't break you will make you stronger. Have you ever heard of that old saying? Never dwell on your past because you can not go forward. Lastly but not less, never let anyone take your joy away. Next time you look into the mirror think of yourself as a survivor not as a failure. Your beautiful and wonderfully made. Yes, you been through some hard times, but remember you got through them. Your a strong women that may have made some decisions that didn't turn out the way you plan, and that's OK. Welcome to the club of life. S##t happens, don't waddle in it, move on because each day will be a brighter one. Only you can look into the light and reap the benefits. It is your life script, now lets see how  you want your movie to end. PEACE.............. Take care

October 24, 2006, 10:01 am CDT

Married to twice my age

I dont understand the focus on an indiviuals age - it is simply a number get over it.  I started dating a man when I was 26, he was 52.  Everyone thought this was such a big deal, the talk of the office.  I was concerned at first that he would be able to keep up with my lifestyle because of the age difference.  It turns out that this "old fart" could go out and party more than guys my own age that I had dated.  I am happy to say that I will be turning 34 in two weeks, we are married, and have a 4 year old daughter together.  When we first got married, my husband joked that he married me for "a nurse and a purse", the joke is truly on him now because he is healthy as a horse and I have been diagnosed with Crohn's this year and he has become my "nurse".  Don't rule out any possibility because of age.  All of you 50+ out there that people think are acting to young I say "GO FOR IT"

October 24, 2006, 11:10 am CDT

Fabulous Show!!!

I am 57 years old & relate very well to your show! Born in 1949, the 8th & final child to Hal & Berniece Bellamy, who resided in S. Illinois. My father was killed in a single plane accident when I was 10 days old; leaving my Mother with 8 children & receiving no insurance. When I was 5, Mother moved us to Sycamore,Il. where she worked over 20 yrs in a wire&cable mfg. co. She worked 11pm-7am; so she would be working while we slept. She slept while we were at school & then arose when we arrived home. We were financially poor, but very rich with love & family commitment. In 2000, at the age of 87 yrs., Mother was called to her eternal rest. I graduated high school in 1967, and married. I was divorced in 1976, remarried in 1977; divorced in 1981. In 1982 I met my "God sent soul-mate", and we were married in 1984. Together we have 3 children; from 3 sets of parents. Many challenges arose, but with constant work, respect and consistentcy, we have raised 3 wonderful, responsible young adults. They are all 3 are special in their own way & they all value our family unit. In 2003 the Lord blessed me with the ability of writing Christian poetry. Actually, I am the vehicle He uses to put His poems inprint. His poem anthology currently consists of approx. 100 poems. My sincerest wish as a "Fabulous & 50

W oman" is to attain a publisher for this anthology. Sharing His love with others would be made possible through the publication of these poems. If even one person, by reading this collection, would come to love our Lord, I would be supremely honored! I have lived a good life, been blessed beyond belief; made many mistakes, learned many valuable lessons, value all life's challenges & successes, love my family unit, and welcome the next 50+ years! Thank you for letting me share my thoughts, with you! Thank you also for your dedication to strong family ethics and spectacular morales/values! Be blessed today, tomorrow, & forever!

Your friend, Joan Bellamy Baker 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last