Message Boards

Topic : 10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:52:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
First, they lost their belongings in Hurricane Katrina, then, these guests say they paid thousands of dollars to a construction company that never made good on contracts to repair their homes. Seventy-eight-year-old Marion says she paid $4,000 to contractors who took her money and ran. Lena, 74, says she lost $29,000 to the same company. Julie and Robert say they paid the same contractors almost $50,000, and Lenny, 83, says he was taken for almost twice that amount. Does one of the contractors take responsibility in a phone showdown with Dr. Phil? Plus, Dr. Phil teams up with some special guests to give the hurricane survivors a few surprises. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 29, 2006, 6:54 pm CST

Let me understand

Quote From: indians

all of these things that you mention have nothing to do with a "natural disaster",  which they knew was on it's way, just human errors. 

So you are saying that the parents of children who die from human errors in something other than a natural disaster (car accident, drowning in the family pool, insufficient prenatal care) deserve sympathy and caring for their loss.  But parents of chldren who die from natural disasters which the parents knew were coming but because of human error misjudged the situation and couldn't or wouldn't get out of harm's way do not deserve symathy and understanding for their loss.  Is that correct - some people deserve sympathy for their loss and others don't? 

October 29, 2006, 8:58 pm CST

Rocks and Stones for Hearts

We are the people that is or was living in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.    You makes it seems that we all personally went to "God" and ask for this Category 5  Katrina Hurricane with the winds of almost 150mph.  How would you and the other that are thinking like you to have your entire life swept away in the matter of seconds, minutes, and maybe an hour.   Everyday, I wake up and notice my surrounding I want to break down and cry.  But, I can't do that because it is people like you and others feel that we are getting just what we deserve.  Just like you called Texas home, well we calls Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama home.  The swamp area may not be nothing to you but it means a whole to the people that lives there.  I am not apologizing for anything because I feel that you are wrong for what you are saying about the people in the SWAMPS and Gulf Coastal Areas. The elderly, sick, newborns, children did not ask for this devasation.  It happen and we all has to deal with the good, bad, considerate, and most of all the inconsiderate things.   Life is short and sometimes its not fair but we tend to pray and move on with our lives  that we do have left on this earth.  Remember, "God" never sleep  nor slumber on the job. 

October 30, 2006, 5:22 am CST

in all honesty one should be in there knees thanking god to have lived through a cat3 named rita

Quote From: leslatour

DR. PHIL.....I THINK YOU ARE TERRIFIC....MOST OF THE TIME.......I DO HAVE ONE GRIPE THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS HERE. WE LIVE IN THE AREA IN TEXAS THAT WAS DECIMATED BY HURRICANE RITA. I REALIZE THAT NEW ORLEANS HAS MILLIONS OF STORIES THAT YOU CAN ADDRESS. THEY DO HAVE  A LOT OF DAMAGE BUT HAVE YOU SEEN ANY PICTURES OF SABINE PASS OR PORT ARTHUR? THIS IS A VERY POOR AREA OF TEXAS AND THERE ARE MANY STORIES IN THIS AREA TOO. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS SOME OF THESE PEOPLE'S STORIES AND YOU USING YOUR MONEY AND INFLUENCE TO HELP PEOPLE FROM YOUR OWN STATE. I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ADDRESSED THIS AT ALL. THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE THAT ARE ALSO STILL SUFFERING. SOME OF THOSE CHRISTMAS PRESENTS YOU GAVE OUT TO "KATRINA KIDS" COULD HAVE BEEN SPENT ON CHILDREN FROM THE RITA DISASTER. SIGN ME A YEAR LATER WITHOUT A FENCE, NEEDING ROOF, AND STILL WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE ALSO HAD A CATAGORY 3 HURRICANE STORM NAMED RITA

in stead of griping at dr phil, i do think all this attention has focused on new orleans becouse of all the lives that were in fact lost there{ can you count the numbers of whome arnt here as a result of katrina?{ ever wonder where all the people who

still arnt back went?{and i even feel no one ever even thinks about the lives od all the animals that were lost as well, we do tend to focus on human life as humans thats our nature, but lets not forgit the animals here as well after all the lord created them as well,no this day i would say to give thanks you are not among those who did not live to tell there story,my heart gose to all who have suffered any type of a loss no matter how greate or small.

October 30, 2006, 8:48 am CST

It helps us not to think about others

Quote From: fatfiona

There is a saying in Canada: God helps those who help themselves.

Perhaps it would be wiser for the victims to build on higher ground.  But write stories about the Happy New Orleans they remember. 

Fatfiona

Blaming the victim is a way of letting ourselves not feel for the plight of others.

Most of Holland's land is below sea level and has been for years. Building below sea level is not the cause of those people's plights. We should send some intelligent people to Holland to see how it is done.

All of us are in areas that a natural disaster could destroy. If you are living on the West side of the continent, there is a caldera that could erupt at any time. There are several large plates moving and major earthquakes are just in the wings. There is a tsunami about th happen off the coast of Oregon, Washington and California.

The ground beneath the coming caldera is raising 1 to 3" a year in Yellowstone Park. It will take out everything West to the coast, North almost to Alaska, East to Wisconsin and South to the Arizona border. Those people whose land is not physically destroyed will die because the air is full of ash that turns to cement in the lungs. Human life and animal life will be wiped out.

The tsunami will wipe out everything for 100 miles inland.

One fault will destroy lives from the southern coast of the country to New York, another will destroy lives from Los Angeles into Canada.

This is not hysterical ranting. Look it up.

October 30, 2006, 9:17 am CST

GOOD LUCK

Quote From: hellokitty86

My Boyfriend and I were watching this last night ( our DVR recorded it) and let me tell you this just made me cry, and made me angry. I can't believe that people would take advantage of helpless people like that. The Lady that Dr. Phil had the house built for just took my heart, because she was just so thankful for what she was given. Its so sad that those people and many others had to rebuild their lives after this, but Thank God for people like Dr. Phil, and Robin that give them, and everyone some kind of Hope! :
well I don't have a quote but  I wanted to say this show mad me cry to it made me sad that people would treat others especially those hurt so badly by Hurricane Katrina when the people from the hurricane are the most vunerable ever. They have been through so muchThey didn't deserve to be treated this way. They trusted these people to help them and instead they got taken advantage of It really made me thankful that there are good people still out there Dr.Phil and Lachey Shaw and  Lasue lawfirm, do it yourself network do it yourslf to the rescue, Paul Davis Restoration,  boyles distinctive.furniture, price grabber, lowermybills, free credit report etc, and others not mentioned that work with . Phil to help these people.  These people didn't deserve to have everything they loved and owned taken away from them in such a tragic way! Good luck to them  and GOD BLESS YOU

October 30, 2006, 5:03 pm CST

Scammers

As I watched this show I had alot of mixed feelings I cried and I was totally pod. I can not beleive people would do this. Do they really have no heart!?!? What makes them think they can get away with this? Who do they think they are? Boy I do know one thing their day is coming!!

October 31, 2006, 4:47 pm CST

All about the Benjamins

I continue to hear about how people are scammed out by remodeling or  refinancing or what ever it takes to line someone elses pockets with the equity in a persons home.  Those people should be held accountable by the public since there is a gray area in the system that does not cover them to be held accountable.

I have been in the finance industry for over 20 years and have working on implementing a program to protect homeowners from scams like this.  It is still a work in progress but to see Professionals stealing from hard working homeowners just chaps my hide.  I will continue to protect the ones around me, but God Bless anyone that wants financing or remodeling done for it is just a shot of the dice that you get an honest person to work with on the project. 

November 30, 2006, 1:37 pm CST

doesn't do any good

Quote From: afraid

It seems you can report, report, report, and it doesn't do any good.  It is a shame but if you get ripped off from a contractor, and report them that is all it is, is a report.  But if the contractor takes your money, and the product and you have nothing in return, it seems all right.  I have been ripped off from a cabinet contractor, took $7500, installed the cabinets, they didn't fit, had varnish runs, nail holes, putty that didn't stain.  He took the cabinets back and refused to fix them, so he has my money and the cabinets.  I reported him every place I could think of to no avail.  So now I will have to take him to court.  But I bet if I went and took the cabinets from his house, I would go to jail.  Where is the justice.....its only good for the ones that do crime against justice.

Yes, you can add me to the number of Louisiana people being ripped off.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next Page | Last Page