Message Boards

Topic : 10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:52:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
First, they lost their belongings in Hurricane Katrina, then, these guests say they paid thousands of dollars to a construction company that never made good on contracts to repair their homes. Seventy-eight-year-old Marion says she paid $4,000 to contractors who took her money and ran. Lena, 74, says she lost $29,000 to the same company. Julie and Robert say they paid the same contractors almost $50,000, and Lenny, 83, says he was taken for almost twice that amount. Does one of the contractors take responsibility in a phone showdown with Dr. Phil? Plus, Dr. Phil teams up with some special guests to give the hurricane survivors a few surprises. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 27, 2006, 7:11 am CDT

This is happening right now in Central GA

Thereis a contractor here, Mid State Custom Exteriors, that is doing this same thing here in Central GA. They take people's deposits and don't do the work, or worse, they start the work and leave it before it's done, or they never show up for work and get fired, then don't refund people's money. This contractor also hires subs to do work and then doesn't pay them either. They have 6 complaints with the Better Business Bureau right now but it doesn't really help. I wish the DA would get involved.

October 27, 2006, 7:35 am CDT

hurricane scammers

ALL I CAN SAY IS GOD BLESS YOU DR. PHIL AND THE WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO MADE IT HAPPEN................NOW PUT THESE SCAM ARTISTS IN JAIL FOR A VERY LONG TIME

October 27, 2006, 7:40 am CDT

Get 'em Dr. Phil

I look foward to seeing Dr Phil get his people to go after these SOB's.

I can't wait to see these guys get what they deserve. It was so heart warming today

to see such nice things done for people who relly need it the most.

It's good to see the show is helping remind America that New Orleans is still in shambles since the hurricane.

Although I think it's a nig risk to re build in a city that is a fish bowl and could flood all over again.

In time, hurricanes will come again. Then what?  These people will be wiped out all over. I understand how older people have lived there their whole lives and it has such meaning. I just pray another Katrina never hits them again.

Too bad their sorry exuse for a mayor didn't protect his people any better in preparation and really still sucks at helping rebuild or mend the lives of the displaced.

October 27, 2006, 8:04 am CDT

well dr phil i must say

you are restoring my faith in human kindness again,i just wish every day could be as heart warming as this day has brought, but i know life has too many twists, but you did put a very good show on today, thank you i will have a good week end now for sure, thanks guys

October 27, 2006, 8:06 am CDT

my godi live here too and i have seen this company advertise thank you for the warning

Quote From: madcow67

Thereis a contractor here, Mid State Custom Exteriors, that is doing this same thing here in Central GA. They take people's deposits and don't do the work, or worse, they start the work and leave it before it's done, or they never show up for work and get fired, then don't refund people's money. This contractor also hires subs to do work and then doesn't pay them either. They have 6 complaints with the Better Business Bureau right now but it doesn't really help. I wish the DA would get involved.

October 27, 2006, 8:14 am CDT

maybe we can all get togather some way and find a way to go and help

Quote From: mgorsline1228

I am a painter and I'm laid off right now and going through tough times myself but I would also contribute , as a voluteer .
i am never too busy to give a helping hand to my fellow man,god gave me many talents and i know he didnt want me to waste them i also paint hang sheet rock and work with concrete, and i am a damn good cook as well so we wouldnt miss out on home cooked meals not to menthion the wonderful dishes new orleans natives prepare there some of the countrys best dishes are eatin, i know i have been there many times as a truck driver,maybe more people will see these posts who dont have anything better to do and give a helping hand as well thank you for careing god has blessed you and will continue

October 27, 2006, 8:30 am CDT

God Bless You Dr. Phil & Your Staff

Thank you so much Dr. Phil for what you have done for these people!! My heart goes out to Ms. Marion! It was so heartbreaking seeing what these people have suffured through. It's amazing what you've done for them!

I wish Ms. Marion the best of luck in her new home, I hope she has a long life there and able to enjoy it all!!! I'll keep this lady in my prayers~

This was a very moving episode.

October 27, 2006, 8:30 am CDT

Tools & a truck does not a contractor make!

We have property on the Alabama Gulf Coast. After Hurricane Ivan struck, there was a great influx of “contractors”. They came from all over to help with repairs. These were not kind hearted souls wanting to help. Many of these people could not keep a regular job as they lack the discipline to do honest work.  They take money from desperate people and do substandard work, all the while beginning new projects and collecting money for materials. Eventually when homeowners make demands such as completing the repairs or doing them correctly to code, the contractors move on to the next town or state. It’s next to impossible for the average person to track them down. If you do there’s little recourse. You can sue but if they have no assets then your money won’t be refunded. We’ve seen some of these louts hire unskilled people and not pay them as well. None of them have an office. They work out of their trucks. The only way to contact them is by cell phone. Many of them are skilled liars. They smile and promise you everything. Dr. Phil always says for every rat you see there are 50 more. This goes for those people like Paul. They claim innocence but they are crooks and should be treated accordingly!

October 27, 2006, 9:02 am CDT

first of all let me say this.

after such a storm as catrina was just why in the hell do so many people go and try to profit from the victims? hell they already went through enough, it would save alot of pain and heart ache if our goverment would set up a way for people like me to be able to go and give what i have to give to help these people.i see no such place. keep all contractors out.!!!! these people will need what ever money they recover form there insurance to try to put there lives back togather. hell fire all i need ia a way to get there and a way home after i have done all i can do. im very sure there are alot more like me in this country, people like me who do not want there money would make a better choice to except help from. when you are helping from the heart some how god steps in and also lends a helping hand, with a team like this you cant fail. people get back in there homes and are then able to recover putting this bad storm behind them,its always much better to give than to receve,this is what brings people togather,profit just seperates every one,

October 27, 2006, 9:30 am CDT

i am but just 1 man but it would amaze you to see what 1 man can do 1 day at a time.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last