Message Boards

Topic : 10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:52:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
First, they lost their belongings in Hurricane Katrina, then, these guests say they paid thousands of dollars to a construction company that never made good on contracts to repair their homes. Seventy-eight-year-old Marion says she paid $4,000 to contractors who took her money and ran. Lena, 74, says she lost $29,000 to the same company. Julie and Robert say they paid the same contractors almost $50,000, and Lenny, 83, says he was taken for almost twice that amount. Does one of the contractors take responsibility in a phone showdown with Dr. Phil? Plus, Dr. Phil teams up with some special guests to give the hurricane survivors a few surprises. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 27, 2006, 9:30 am CDT

We were the "hero" contractors

A very key point lost in some of the shuffle.....

We had a chance to sit down with Marion while her original house was being demolshed. She was understandably bitter towards the "scumbag" contractors, and maybe others, in general. She told me that though she was a church going woman, she didn't have the ability to forgive the contractors who took her money. Because of this she didn't feel qualified to attend church since.

We told her that we were honored to be working to get her back into her home. Then I said, "Marion, you not only need to forgive them, you need to thank the Lord for them." She thought I was crazy. I told her that because of their unforgivable act, Dr Phil stepped in and put his resources, The DIY Network and Paul Davis Restoration/Boyle's Furniture into action. Now, Marion Camp has a brand new house!

Don't get me wrong, "scumbag" contractors need to be taken out. But, at the same time when we all follow the lead to take care of the widows and the orphans, we all win.

God Bless You, Marion. God Bless the rebuilders.

Howland (Howdy) Russell

Paul Davis Restoration

October 27, 2006, 9:51 am CDT

well it was good to see dr phil able to help marion find a way to forgive

Quote From: howdyr

We had a chance to sit down with Marion while her original house was being demolshed. She was understandably bitter towards the "scumbag" contractors, and maybe others, in general. She told me that though she was a church going woman, she didn't have the ability to forgive the contractors who took her money. Because of this she didn't feel qualified to attend church since.

We told her that we were honored to be working to get her back into her home. Then I said, "Marion, you not only need to forgive them, you need to thank the Lord for them." She thought I was crazy. I told her that because of their unforgivable act, Dr Phil stepped in and put his resources, The DIY Network and Paul Davis Restoration/Boyle's Furniture into action. Now, Marion Camp has a brand new house!

Don't get me wrong, "scumbag" contractors need to be taken out. But, at the same time when we all follow the lead to take care of the widows and the orphans, we all win.

Howland (Howdy) Russell

Paul Davis Restoration

now i hope she will be able to return to her church.

October 27, 2006, 11:49 am CDT

10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Quote From: howdyr

Howland (Howdy) Russell

Paul Davis Restoration

forgiveness is power,but that's a hard fact to learn. Sometimes holding on to anger seems so sweet but it's poison. I was homeless last year primarily due to one person. I was so angry,it took alot of prayer. This year I'm sending him a Christmas card thanking him because I have it so much better now

October 27, 2006, 12:36 pm CDT

scam artist

It broke my heart to watch what had been done to these people. It also angers me. My husband and I are self contractors. We run a very honest operation. I guess there are very few of us left. I am watching the part of the show when the little old lady goes in her new house. God Bless Dr. Phil!

October 27, 2006, 1:01 pm CDT

great show

Thanks for a great show.  I think we all need to see something working out for at least SOME of the folks in NO.

I just added DIY to my favorite channels.  I use Orbitz exclusively.

I assure you, I remember the people who do good and want to help them to do well.

It sure is nice to have heroes again, you and your family are my heroes.

Stay well.

October 27, 2006, 1:16 pm CDT

good job dr phil

you did a grat job for these poor people in new orleans

October 27, 2006, 1:39 pm CDT

Thank you

Thank you!  I don't live or even know anybody that lives there but ...thank you for having a hand in taking care of the elderly. Just think how many lives could be touched if celebrities who are so  blessed would help the elderly.

October 27, 2006, 1:56 pm CDT

10/27 New Orleans Scam?

DR PHIL

I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THIS MOMENT AND THANK YOU FOR HELPING THESE FAMILIES.  IT IS SUCH A SHAME THAT PEOPLE CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE WHEN WE ARE AT OUR LOWEST.  BUT, YOU HELPED BRING THEM UP AGAIN.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.  GREAT JOB!!!!!!

SINCERELY,

FREDRICA BRUNO

October 27, 2006, 2:07 pm CDT

This is horrible

That is really nice take advantage of people who have just lost everything they own. How do these builders and contractors sleep at night??? These people have to get someone to come in and fix the damage and the people they find are crooks. I am sure there are some who are doing a good job but it seems the majority are just ripping people off.   It seems that they know they can take advantage of the elderly because they are not always able to stand up for themselves. Someone has to get these people out of their so called business and into jail.

October 27, 2006, 2:08 pm CDT

happy to see some who cares

I am very happy to see that some one cares about how people are treated! I feel that at times we as a nation tend to turn our backs on people in there need of help ! It has been a long time since anyone has helped me ! Way to go DR Phil

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last