Message Boards

Topic : 10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:52:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
First, they lost their belongings in Hurricane Katrina, then, these guests say they paid thousands of dollars to a construction company that never made good on contracts to repair their homes. Seventy-eight-year-old Marion says she paid $4,000 to contractors who took her money and ran. Lena, 74, says she lost $29,000 to the same company. Julie and Robert say they paid the same contractors almost $50,000, and Lenny, 83, says he was taken for almost twice that amount. Does one of the contractors take responsibility in a phone showdown with Dr. Phil? Plus, Dr. Phil teams up with some special guests to give the hurricane survivors a few surprises. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 27, 2006, 2:15 pm CDT

Way to go, Paul & Howdy!

Quote From: howdyr

A very key point lost in some of the shuffle.....

We had a chance to sit down with Marion while her original house was being demolshed. She was understandably bitter towards the "scumbag" contractors, and maybe others, in general. She told me that though she was a church going woman, she didn't have the ability to forgive the contractors who took her money. Because of this she didn't feel qualified to attend church since.

We told her that we were honored to be working to get her back into her home. Then I said, "Marion, you not only need to forgive them, you need to thank the Lord for them." She thought I was crazy. I told her that because of their unforgivable act, Dr Phil stepped in and put his resources, The DIY Network and Paul Davis Restoration/Boyle's Furniture into action. Now, Marion Camp has a brand new house!

Don't get me wrong, "scumbag" contractors need to be taken out. But, at the same time when we all follow the lead to take care of the widows and the orphans, we all win.

God Bless You, Marion. God Bless the rebuilders.

Howland (Howdy) Russell

Paul Davis Restoration

I just watched the show and from the pictures, it looks like y'all did an amazing job on this house!  I happen to know that Paul Davis Restoration is based in Amarillo, TX, and for you to be in New Orleans helping these people is just awesome!

October 27, 2006, 2:16 pm CDT

Two sides to every story....

We have been in Arkansas for several years, I am from Louisiana, my husband from Mississippi, both of us had families touched by Hurricane Katrina. But I have a different story to tell about that storm.

After Katrina hit, we were called by relatives who told us they had lost everything, including tools to rebuild, would we be willing to come and help them get on their feet. We loaded up and went down to where they were at. I waited three months, not really wanting to leave our house alone, but finally right after Thanksgiving we all returned (5 of us). We worked long hard hours, lived in a house with no heat, no hot water, and full of mold. The money that was promised to us, we found out a week before Christmas, we were not going to get. In the meantime, several local folks asked if we would help. We worked through Christmas getting licences, permits, insurance etc. and decided to keep on working as we were in the hole already. Oh despite many of the stories, insurance claims were being paid, however, alot of times the workers were not. We paid $120.00 a week to live in mold, sewage, dampness, and filth. Our meals for us and our workers cost over $1,000 a week ( we didn't get a discount) and I have the paperwork and pictures to substantiate my story. Well, low and behold, in February I suffered a stroke, with another seizure following in March. I had been exposed to too much mold and my body was showing it's rejection. My husband's body was litterally covered with mold outbreaks and two of our workers had "Katrina Cough". No one would allow us to put a travel trailer on their land, as they didn't want "strangers" around, the trailer parks were filled with fema trailers and so we were stuck living in a hotel rather than being able to use our own trailer.

The biggest farce I saw was a person who worked for fema. He and his wife owned 4 properties in the area, bought a fifth with "Hurricane money", lived in one of their homes, two of the others were only slightly damaged, and had a fema trailer to boot - now doesn't that beat everything.

I am going to recover, I am strong and even though I still suffer slightly from being asphysic, I am determined to win. We are back home now, and honestly, I have always been the first one to want to help, but I am bitter over the way that sometimes the other side of the story doesn't get told either. I am not denying there weren't rip offs - but we were victims also. We lost $l,500 in labor bills, $3,000 when a customer's check bounced, a new dodge pick-up that was damaged and we were told that since the person that hit it was the police chief's nephew,  to let it alone - maybe some in Louisiana got more than they bargained for, but there were also some who got what they deserved!

October 27, 2006, 2:28 pm CDT

What a shame

Dr. Phil is the greatest to help these folks in New Orleans, what a heart wrenching story.  I can not even begin to understand why someone could do such a thing to these folks.  I would love to help out with New Orleans, I just dont know where I can start, as we are poor.  If there is any thing we can do My husband and I would love too.

October 27, 2006, 2:30 pm CDT

Join The Club!

Quote From: freddieab

DR PHIL

I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THIS MOMENT AND THANK YOU FOR HELPING THESE FAMILIES.  IT IS SUCH A SHAME THAT PEOPLE CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE WHEN WE ARE AT OUR LOWEST.  BUT, YOU HELPED BRING THEM UP AGAIN.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.  GREAT JOB!!!!!!

SINCERELY,

FREDRICA BRUNO

Here in Florida, after suffering through 3 major hurricanes, I have a fair idea how these people have suffered. It was rampant here as well, people taking deposits for work, than vanishing, work started and never finished. No, I personally didn't lose the tens of thousands that these people did, but when you spend all that you have, borrow more to get it done, and the contractors vanish it's just as devistating.

Hearts go out to all these people who suffered from Katrina, but you're hardly alone in the situation.

whtsyurdrm

October 27, 2006, 2:38 pm CDT

Thank You!

I am one of the Katrina survivor.  I am happy and grateful that people like you and others do care about the Katrina Victims.  We will never be the same, but we must stay focus on moving on with our lives.  I would like to know one thing about human beings.  Why do people  they wait for trouble or tragic to happen to take advantage of someone? I am not back in New Orleans but the first chance or opportunity I will return asap! Its no place like home and I truly miss New Orleans with everything and everybody. I love New Orleans.  I would like to say Thank you Dr. Phil and Robin,Paul and DIY, The Attorneys and everyone that has a hand in this mission.  I must say I wish my arms was wide and long enough to touch, hold, hug  everyone that have pour themselves out for all  of Katrina survivors. There is no amount of money, kisses, hugs and tears that could ever repay Dr. Phil, Robin and the teamworker enough. I will say a 100,000,000 Thank You! Y'all are beautiful people.

October 27, 2006, 2:46 pm CDT

contract scammers

I just watched the show on these dirt bags, I'm a small contractor self employeed and its fools like them that give honest hard working people like myself a bad rap.  I'm gonna go down for the winter and help these people out and show them that not all contractors a scammers.

Perley Murray NY

October 27, 2006, 2:59 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor New Orleans Phil Phiil Scams. That what I was thinking of. When did see this before? Maybe last year. See you next week. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------- 

October 27, 2006, 3:01 pm CDT

10/27 New Orleans Scam?

I just wanted to let everyone know that contractors are taking advantage of not only Katrina victims but people in general. The laws allow them to do so! My story:

My mother's house caught fire on 12/23/05. That's right two days before Christmas. We were very fortunate that none of her oxygen tanks exploded!  My mother, sister, brother and nephew came to live with my daughter and I in our house next door to my mother's house.  After we finally received the insurance money, contractors were hired to work on my mother's house.  They said that they would be finished in 6 weeks which would have been around the end of March.  My mother gave them $15,000.00 initially so that they would start working.  They worked on the house and soon informed my mother that they needed more money for this and that.  They eventually received over $30,000.00 and soon after did not come back. We contacted the Attorney General in MO and it seems like no one is concerned that my mother does not have a house.  She had just paid off her house and now she doesn't have anything!  I contacted an attorney and he basically told me that we probably wouldn't recover anything either!  "Those scumbags usually don't have any assets" the attorney said.  He was more than willing though to get some more money from us to try to recover some funds.  I told him don't you understand that we do not have anymore money.  He told me to call him when I did.  My family was devastated, especially my mother.  It is now the end of October and the family is still living with me.  My mother almost lost her life about two weeks ago and is still in the hospital today.  Thank God she will be alright, but it breaks my heart to think that once she is released from the hospital that she will still have to deal with the fact that the contractors have STOLEN her money and are getting away with it!

Frustrated in St. Louis

October 27, 2006, 3:03 pm CDT

help to new orleans

i watched the show today. man it touched me. 29 year old man here and it made my cry like a baby. you know it is great what dr phil and other people with some power are doing to help these people. its my time to help. if anyone in the new orleans are need some free help for as long as needed shoot me a email and i will be glad to come help. i can pretty much do anything that is asked and wont charge a penny. will just be honored to help. all i ask is room and board and gas to drive my car down. my email is badassbruce2003@aol.com

October 27, 2006, 3:03 pm CDT

10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Quote From: allstar10

We have been in Arkansas for several years, I am from Louisiana, my husband from Mississippi, both of us had families touched by Hurricane Katrina. But I have a different story to tell about that storm.

After Katrina hit, we were called by relatives who told us they had lost everything, including tools to rebuild, would we be willing to come and help them get on their feet. We loaded up and went down to where they were at. I waited three months, not really wanting to leave our house alone, but finally right after Thanksgiving we all returned (5 of us). We worked long hard hours, lived in a house with no heat, no hot water, and full of mold. The money that was promised to us, we found out a week before Christmas, we were not going to get. In the meantime, several local folks asked if we would help. We worked through Christmas getting licences, permits, insurance etc. and decided to keep on working as we were in the hole already. Oh despite many of the stories, insurance claims were being paid, however, alot of times the workers were not. We paid $120.00 a week to live in mold, sewage, dampness, and filth. Our meals for us and our workers cost over $1,000 a week ( we didn't get a discount) and I have the paperwork and pictures to substantiate my story. Well, low and behold, in February I suffered a stroke, with another seizure following in March. I had been exposed to too much mold and my body was showing it's rejection. My husband's body was litterally covered with mold outbreaks and two of our workers had "Katrina Cough". No one would allow us to put a travel trailer on their land, as they didn't want "strangers" around, the trailer parks were filled with fema trailers and so we were stuck living in a hotel rather than being able to use our own trailer.

The biggest farce I saw was a person who worked for fema. He and his wife owned 4 properties in the area, bought a fifth with "Hurricane money", lived in one of their homes, two of the others were only slightly damaged, and had a fema trailer to boot - now doesn't that beat everything.

I am going to recover, I am strong and even though I still suffer slightly from being asphysic, I am determined to win. We are back home now, and honestly, I have always been the first one to want to help, but I am bitter over the way that sometimes the other side of the story doesn't get told either. I am not denying there weren't rip offs - but we were victims also. We lost $l,500 in labor bills, $3,000 when a customer's check bounced, a new dodge pick-up that was damaged and we were told that since the person that hit it was the police chief's nephew,  to let it alone - maybe some in Louisiana got more than they bargained for, but there were also some who got what they deserved!

God Bless You In my words the whole New Oleans was a mess from the beginning. no one knew what they were going and you couldn't trust any one from the government down.  Dr Phil and family AND FRIENDS THANKS FOR WHAT YOU DID FOR THOSE PEOPLE THEY SURE DID DESIRE it and you are a saint
God Bless You Cathy

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last