Message Boards

Topic : 10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:52:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
First, they lost their belongings in Hurricane Katrina, then, these guests say they paid thousands of dollars to a construction company that never made good on contracts to repair their homes. Seventy-eight-year-old Marion says she paid $4,000 to contractors who took her money and ran. Lena, 74, says she lost $29,000 to the same company. Julie and Robert say they paid the same contractors almost $50,000, and Lenny, 83, says he was taken for almost twice that amount. Does one of the contractors take responsibility in a phone showdown with Dr. Phil? Plus, Dr. Phil teams up with some special guests to give the hurricane survivors a few surprises. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 27, 2006, 3:31 pm CDT

10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Oh, look. Yet ANOTHER show about New Orleans!  Hey Dr. Phil, did you know that New Orleans was not the only area nailed and still suffering?

October 27, 2006, 3:35 pm CDT

new orleans scam

Quote From: perley761

I just watched the show on these dirt bags, I'm a small contractor self employeed and its fools like them that give honest hard working people like myself a bad rap.  I'm gonna go down for the winter and help these people out and show them that not all contractors a scammers.

Perley Murray NY

I watched the show today and while the show centered around scams in new orleans this can happen anywhere - unscrpulous people prey on people in distress.  I did want to make a comment on some the fact that Dr. Phil was not quite correct NEW ORLEANS DID NOT GET 120mph winds head on from Katrina.  - that is so wrong and the people of Biloxi, Pascagoula, Gulfport, Mississippi really take offense.  These areas got the 120mph winds head on from Katrina and they are working hard to rebuild their lives.  I live in  Texas and I just got back from Pascagoula, Ms where my son got married and the work is still going on - these corrageous people of Mississippi ask for nothing - they do it themselves.  New Orleans would have escaped Katrina if it had not been the corrupt government of Louisiana (which has been that way for as long as anyone can remember) did not take the money allocated for a new levi and rebuild before this happened.  They have been warned for years that this would happen.  The levi broke from the rain it could have happened at any time as torential rains are frequent in that area.  NEW ORLEANS DID NOT GET 120mph winds from Katrina, they were devasted just the same but it was not from Katraina winds.  Am I surprised that people were taken advantage of in Louisiana - no - it is a haven for scams -  - I cried when the people on your show got their homes fixed up - that was wonderful and I hope those contractors are stopped before hurting others - but please correct yourself and do not add insult to injury to the wonderful people of Mississippi who are working hard to rebuild their lives and homes.

October 27, 2006, 3:37 pm CDT

know what if dr phil could some how get every one here willing to go and do what we can

i bet by christmas we could have alot of people back on the road to recovery, hell ill stay in a tent as far as food goes let me pitch a tent near the sea she will feed me and any one willing to go as well i need no money,just a way there i am able and willing to work my ass off for these people, and its makes me proud to be an american again to see a few others making this heart felt offer as well, guys and gals you are putting tears of joy in my heart and eyes as well god bless every one willing to go and help,just a smile on someones face is all i want to see after the job is done, i wont so bad to see every one in new orleans smile once again god bless every one of them. what do you say dr phil will you help us all get togather, were relly not looking for any hand outs. just a chance to go offer a helping hand to our fellow man woman and children we can pull this off.

October 27, 2006, 3:39 pm CDT

Go Dr. Phil! Rip off warranty companys beware too!

I am so happy that  Dr. Phil and his team stepped in to help these people!  It is hard to know where to turn when you are in trouble, then it's even worse when you are given hope from a crook(s) just to have them make off with what little you have left or sometimes more of your future income or as I am experiancing...preventing you from working at all!

Warranty companies can do the samething those crooked contractors did!  I had an older S.U.V. that the repair was more than I could afford (a front diferental, $1300) and it seemed logical to get into an economical newer used car with fewer miles  than  repair the older S.U.V. with all the gas expense.

I am in sales & must drive alot, a new car was not a practical decission for me because of the high milage I put on these cars.  I went 6 weeks stranded, with out work trying to come up with money with no way to get it.  We're a 2 income family.  We used every penny we could for a down payment on a "good" used 1999 Ford Taurus at a small used car lot in Emory TX. 

We had our own mechanic look over the car. It was noted the fluids were normal colors and he thought the car seemed solid. 

We needed a car really badly to get both of us on the road again.  This was survival!  I agreed to make payments every 2 weeks knowing it would be tight for the next 7 months, but it felt better to do that than be strapped on a new car payment for years.  I agreed that part of the 7 months would be to cover a "GOLD"  ($500+ we added to the finacing!) warranty with Penn Warranty Corparation.

I was told by the car lot owner, Penn Warranty Corparation was a great company they had used for thier customers for years and would protect me from future car break downs like the one I was coming out of. They (Penn) would provide me a rental car if I should break down so I could work!  He just knew how hard the last few months had been for me being stranded. HA! Big mistake!  I was a fool!

After having the car ONLY 2 WEEKS and at least 100 miles from home this car began to miss, and run rough with the warning light on! A call was made to the car lot, with out any offer of help or advise, my fiance took the car to a garage,  just making it there as it was starting to over heat!.  A test of the coolant was made,  it had turned brown instead of the green it was a few weeks ago. It was found to be a blown head gasket.  But of course we had that "Gold" contract from Penn Warrany Corparation to fall back on.  NOT!

The Penn Warranty office had the mechanic send a statement of what "he thought" the problem was...but warned him not to do any work or taking apart anything.  His "guess" was a thermostat.  Then the company gave permission for him to take the engine apart.  When asked about a rental car so we could still work, we were told that the engine being taken apart was not the repair!  That it was diagonostic and the repair for this would only be a few hours, not long enough to be given a rental car!  They didn't even send an inspector out to see my car!

This has been going on for FOUR WEEKS now and the car is torn into peices and the work is not authorised after daily calls to Penn Warranty offices.  The mechanics at several shops have said taking apart of an engine is REPAIRING it.  Also the mechanic that has our car said he has worked on 4  90's Ford Taurras this year for the same problem and its pretty common and shouldn't be causing this big of a deal!

Penn Warranty Corparation has ignored notes faxed by the mechanic telling them the cause was NOT the thermostat.  After he got permission from Penn to take the car apart

a test was made of the thermostat in boiling water by the mechanic which proved to him the thermostat did not cause this malfunction.  The thermostat is a $5 part!  The coolant had exhaust leaking into it and Penn Warranty says they cover damage due to leaks.

They just are dodging this and have been rude to the mechanic  when he tries to talk to them.  The job with heads reground would be about $1000.  The other items found and on the bill brings it to about $1300 (gee thats almost the same amount my S.U.V. repair would have been!)  

Penn Warranty Corparation managers have told us to get a lawyer.  We called the car lot owner, he is siding with the Penn Warranty Corparation (after all they pay him to sell these fraudulant warranties!) They even skipped 3 chains of command according to thier "Gold" contract and sent us from customer service straight to dispute with out an inspector to look at our car!  We are being called liars and accused of trying to pull a fast one!  I just need a way to work again, thats all I want.  I even asked the car lot owner for a "loaner" car from thier lot since Penn Warranty wouldn't provide me a rental car in the past 4 weeks.  The one they offered wouldn't even start, the seat was broken and who knows what else would have been wrong with it that we would have been held responsible for!   My fiance just walked away laughing at what a Cracker Jack outfit this place in Emory TX. is!

The car lot owner knows I have need for a car to work in order to pay him plus my other bills like rent!  I have missed another 3 weeks going into 4 with out work.  He is threatening to reposess the car (in parts at the garage!) and part of the work being adressed in our claim  he admits to knowing about before we bought the car!  He said he can fix this for under $600.  Thats with out the issues he admits to knowing about and with out adding the towing and he admits the job would be from someone owing him a "favor"!

I don't have any buddies owning me favors so I am trying my best to work with the mechanic, pay the creep of a car lot owner, and I will let every one know what scammers Penn Warranty Corparation is and I base my opinions on the Googling I have done today as well as my own sorry experiance with them!

Thank you Dr. Phil for helping so many people and exposing crooks for what they do who are!

October 27, 2006, 3:40 pm CDT

Katrina

I am sorry, but I am so sick of Katrina...yes it was bad and terrible, but how about the storm that hit the Mid-West and killed people?  It wasn't the storm Katrina that wiped out New Orleans, but the politicians that didn't make sure the Levey's were up in shape.  There are people all over the United States losing their homes...look at CA right now.   I get mad when they talk about rebuilding and spending billions of tax dollars...putting it back in a swamp to be wiped out again...why not build further North?  I will not take away from your compassion, but why do we just focus on one area?  

October 27, 2006, 3:44 pm CDT

Most Contractors Are Good People!

This show made me groan out loud when I first saw the commercials for it being aired the other day.  It seems the media loves to make contractors sound like these horrible, dishonest, leaches that are only out there to steal people's money.  Yet, contractor's never get their side of the story aired.  How about contractors who spend 3 to 6 months working on a job, only to not get paid for their work?  What about customers who purposely sabotage a job (i.e. create a leaky water pipe) just to sue the contractor's insurance company for a large settlement?  Yup, these things happen all of the time, but the media doesn't seem to care.  It's always the homeowner that is the victim.  My husband is the most honest, hard-working, loving, family guy in the world.  He just started his remodeling company a couple of years ago, and so far things are going well.  None of these things have happened to us--yet.  But we know many great contractors to whom these horrible things have been done.  But they're the bad guys?  The public makes it's mind up on who's the guilty party before all the facts have even been presented.  It makes is really hard for the good guys to be able to make a living, when people are so suspicious and judgemental right off the bat. 

October 27, 2006, 3:47 pm CDT

What a stereotype!

Quote From: sgrho1

I just wanted to let everyone know that contractors are taking advantage of not only Katrina victims but people in general. The laws allow them to do so! My story:

My mother's house caught fire on 12/23/05. That's right two days before Christmas. We were very fortunate that none of her oxygen tanks exploded!  My mother, sister, brother and nephew came to live with my daughter and I in our house next door to my mother's house.  After we finally received the insurance money, contractors were hired to work on my mother's house.  They said that they would be finished in 6 weeks which would have been around the end of March.  My mother gave them $15,000.00 initially so that they would start working.  They worked on the house and soon informed my mother that they needed more money for this and that.  They eventually received over $30,000.00 and soon after did not come back. We contacted the Attorney General in MO and it seems like no one is concerned that my mother does not have a house.  She had just paid off her house and now she doesn't have anything!  I contacted an attorney and he basically told me that we probably wouldn't recover anything either!  "Those scumbags usually don't have any assets" the attorney said.  He was more than willing though to get some more money from us to try to recover some funds.  I told him don't you understand that we do not have anymore money.  He told me to call him when I did.  My family was devastated, especially my mother.  It is now the end of October and the family is still living with me.  My mother almost lost her life about two weeks ago and is still in the hospital today.  Thank God she will be alright, but it breaks my heart to think that once she is released from the hospital that she will still have to deal with the fact that the contractors have STOLEN her money and are getting away with it!

Frustrated in St. Louis

Wow, that's an awfully generalized statment to make.  My husband is a contractor and most of our friends are, and nobody we know takes advantage of people "in general".  I'm sorry you've had to go through this, but this is a very negative stereotype that hurts a lot of honest people just trying to make a living for their family. 

October 27, 2006, 3:55 pm CDT

i also can do many things in the area of construction

Quote From: brucetomlin76

i watched the show today. man it touched me. 29 year old man here and it made my cry like a baby. you know it is great what dr phil and other people with some power are doing to help these people. its my time to help. if anyone in the new orleans are need some free help for as long as needed shoot me a email and i will be glad to come help. i can pretty much do anything that is asked and wont charge a penny. will just be honored to help. all i ask is room and board and gas to drive my car down. my email is badassbruce2003@aol.com
maybe we will be able to get dr phil to connect every one wanting to go help those who have no help, even if we cant do anything but remove debree,i saw a news shot of new orleans today it is still in a bad mess ,

October 27, 2006, 4:00 pm CDT

well why not throw in with every one here willing to go help in new orleans?

Quote From: tuffyintexas

I am sorry, but I am so sick of Katrina...yes it was bad and terrible, but how about the storm that hit the Mid-West and killed people?  It wasn't the storm Katrina that wiped out New Orleans, but the politicians that didn't make sure the Levey's were up in shape.  There are people all over the United States losing their homes...look at CA right now.   I get mad when they talk about rebuilding and spending billions of tax dollars...putting it back in a swamp to be wiped out again...why not build further North?  I will not take away from your compassion, but why do we just focus on one area?  
after we finish there we can come to texas and do what we can there as well at least i can,dont know how many days i have left here on earth but i will give what i have to help any one in need, but i do it from the heart not for the wallet,i dont even carry one my self,no need god provides for me, need help lets go im ready.

October 27, 2006, 4:04 pm CDT

Go Dr. Phil! Rip off warranty companys beware too!

I am so happy that  Dr. Phil and his team stepped in to help these people!  It is hard to know where to turn when you are in trouble, then it's even worse when you are given hope from a crook(s) just to have them make off with what little you have left or sometimes more of your future income or as I am experiancing...preventing you from working at all!

Warranty companies can do the samething those crooked contractors did!  I had an older S.U.V. that the repair was more than I could afford (a front diferental, $1300) and it seemed logical to get into an economical newer used car with fewer miles  than  repair the older S.U.V. with all the gas expense.

I am in sales & must drive alot, a new car was not a practical decission for me because of the high milage I put on these cars.  I went 6 weeks stranded, with out work trying to come up with money with no way to get it.  We're a 2 income family.  We used every penny we could for a down payment on a "good" used 1999 Ford Taurus at a small used car lot in Emory TX. 

We had our own mechanic look over the car. It was noted the fluids were normal colors and he thought the car seemed solid. 

We needed a car really badly to get both of us on the road again.  This was survival!  I agreed to make payments every 2 weeks knowing it would be tight for the next 7 months, but it felt better to do that than be strapped on a new car payment for years.  I agreed that part of the 7 months would be to cover a "GOLD"  ($500+ we added to the finacing!) warranty with Penn Warranty Corparation.

I was told by the car lot owner, Penn Warranty Corparation was a great company they had used for thier customers for years and would protect me from future car break downs like the one I was coming out of. They (Penn) would provide me a rental car if I should break down so I could work!  He just knew how hard the last few months had been for me being stranded. HA! Big mistake!  I was a fool!

After having the car ONLY 2 WEEKS and at least 100 miles from home this car began to miss, and run rough with the warning light on! A call was made to the car lot, with out any offer of help or advise, my fiance took the car to a garage,  just making it there as it was starting to over heat!.  A test of the coolant was made,  it had turned brown instead of the green it was a few weeks ago. It was found to be a blown head gasket.  But of course we had that "Gold" contract from Penn Warrany Corparation to fall back on.  NOT!

The Penn Warranty office had the mechanic send a statement of what "he thought" the problem was...but warned him not to do any work or taking apart anything.  His "guess" was a thermostat.  Then the company gave permission for him to take the engine apart.  When asked about a rental car so we could still work, we were told that the engine being taken apart was not the repair!  That it was diagonostic and the repair for this would only be a few hours, not long enough to be given a rental car!  They didn't even send an inspector out to see my car!

This has been going on for FOUR WEEKS now and the car is torn into peices and the work is not authorised after daily calls to Penn Warranty offices.  The mechanics at several shops have said taking apart of an engine is REPAIRING it.  Also the mechanic that has our car said he has worked on 4  90's Ford Taurras this year for the same problem and its pretty common and shouldn't be causing this big of a deal!

Penn Warranty Corparation has ignored notes faxed by the mechanic telling them the cause was NOT the thermostat.  After he got permission from Penn to take the car apart

a test was made of the thermostat in boiling water by the mechanic which proved to him the thermostat did not cause this malfunction.  The thermostat is a $5 part!  The coolant had exhaust leaking into it and Penn Warranty says they cover damage due to leaks.

They just are dodging this and have been rude to the mechanic  when he tries to talk to them.  The job with heads reground would be about $1000.  The other items found and on the bill brings it to about $1300 (gee thats almost the same amount my S.U.V. repair would have been!)  

Penn Warranty Corparation managers have told us to get a lawyer.  We called the car lot owner, he is siding with the Penn Warranty Corparation (after all they pay him to sell these fraudulant warranties!) They even skipped 3 chains of command according to thier "Gold" contract and sent us from customer service straight to dispute with out an inspector to look at our car!  We are being called liars and accused of trying to pull a fast one!  I just need a way to work again, thats all I want.  I even asked the car lot owner for a "loaner" car from thier lot since Penn Warranty wouldn't provide me a rental car in the past 4 weeks. The one they offered wouldn't even start, the seat was broken and who knows what else would have been wrong with it that we would have been held responsible for!   My fiance just walked away laughing at what a Cracker Jack outfit this place in Emory TX. is!

The car lot owner knows I have need for a car to work in order to pay him plus my other bills like rent!  I have missed another 3 weeks going into 4 with out work.  He is threatening to reposess the car (in parts at the garage!) and part of the work being adressed in our claim  he admits to knowing about before we bought the car!  He said he can fix this for under $600.  Thats with out the issues he admits to knowing about and with out adding the towing and he admits the job would be from someone owing him a "favor"!

I don't have any buddies owning me favors so I am trying my best to work with the mechanic, pay the creep of a car lot owner, and I will let every one know what scammers Penn Warranty Corparation is and I base my opinions on the Googling I have done today as well as my own sorry experiance with them!

Thank you Dr. Phil for helping so many people and exposing crooks for what they do who and they are!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last