Message Boards

Topic : 10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 20, 2006, 01:52:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
First, they lost their belongings in Hurricane Katrina, then, these guests say they paid thousands of dollars to a construction company that never made good on contracts to repair their homes. Seventy-eight-year-old Marion says she paid $4,000 to contractors who took her money and ran. Lena, 74, says she lost $29,000 to the same company. Julie and Robert say they paid the same contractors almost $50,000, and Lenny, 83, says he was taken for almost twice that amount. Does one of the contractors take responsibility in a phone showdown with Dr. Phil? Plus, Dr. Phil teams up with some special guests to give the hurricane survivors a few surprises. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 23, 2006, 9:58 am CDT

Having not seen this episode yet, I'm taking a stab at it.

From the short description I just read, it sounds as though these people were taken advantage of. If so, I hope Dr. Phil & those of the show help to bring the "bad guys" to justice. I also think that these are more appropriate situations to give gifts & much needed help.

Way to go, y'all  :)

October 23, 2006, 11:55 am CDT

10/26 New Orleans Scam?

I hope all of these guests have documentation. It was obvious from the get-go that Katrina was going to become a 3rd world free-for-all. I am deeply saddened by the suffering of our American people, and hope those who were personally taken advantage of will see justice!

October 23, 2006, 4:50 pm CDT

10/26 New Orleans Scam?

Quote From: our4sons

From the short description I just read, it sounds as though these people were taken advantage of. If so, I hope Dr. Phil & those of the show help to bring the "bad guys" to justice. I also think that these are more appropriate situations to give gifts & much needed help.

Way to go, y'all  :)

Absolutely!! I agree, these are situations that merit gifts from Dr. Phil or anybody else. These people have suffered through no fault of their own. I would enjoy watching them set back on track.

October 25, 2006, 3:58 am CDT

dr phil i hope you help these people put those contractors asses under a jail

just going to jail is too damn good for any one who will take peoples money and run leaving them out in the streets, wow talk about a greedy heart damn, if i had a way there and the materals to work with i would go and help every one i could i am a brick layer, and all my help will cose any one of these people is a hot meal at night and a place to rest my head and wash me ars,

October 25, 2006, 7:36 am CDT

scammers

It seems like the number of scammers out there is growning everyday . . . I here sad stories like this daily on ScamVictimsUnited.com where victims of scam can go and share their stories and offer support to each other.

Shawn

Co-Founder of ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers!

October 26, 2006, 9:27 pm CDT

How can they live with Themselves?

I havent seen the show yet but I think it is so sad that there are actually people out there who could take advantage of people in such horrid situations. It is a horrible crime to scam anyone but to scam any of the families who were affected by the hurricane ... now that is just evil. How can these people live with themselves? It is truly horrible and I try to pray for these families who went through, and are going through, so much everyday.  

October 27, 2006, 12:09 am CDT

Unreal

Quote From: afraid

just going to jail is too damn good for any one who will take peoples money and run leaving them out in the streets, wow talk about a greedy heart damn, if i had a way there and the materals to work with i would go and help every one i could i am a brick layer, and all my help will cose any one of these people is a hot meal at night and a place to rest my head and wash me ars,

It almost gives an excellent argument to wiping out scumbags.   I'm so sick and tired of people that are such low lifes, would feel okay about  feeding  off others at the worst time in their lives and actually live with themselves.  I don't know if I could convict someone for taking the scumbags out to the as we say, to the back 40 and putting that bullet in them.  Its a terrible way to feel but how much is enough?  Nothing is stopping these people.  They dont care if they go to jail.  They don't care about people, our economy, our country or humanity.  They sure wouldnt hesitate to take me out.  You read about it all the  time. They go after the weak. They just live their destructive lives and breed more of the same to carry on. Few of their offspring have a fair chance in the world because they don't know anything else so the next generation begins.  I remember growing up I thought all adults did the right thing.  I am sadly misguided.  I think most of us are decent people.  I'm not perfect but I don't think my actions have every hurt another and I sure have never taken something from someone without giving back in return...but we have that one group of people that does more harm than good.  I'm to the point where maybe the eye for an eye isn't so crazy.  3 strikes your out?  Civil rights? I'm sorry but I don't care about civil rights when you're hurting others.    I don't care if its fair.  It wasn't fair when they took and damaged someone elses life . There is no restitution and these people hurt never recover.

October 27, 2006, 5:01 am CDT

They have no conscience

It seems to me that these "contractors" have taken advantage of the elderly.  It is completely dishonourable that they should do that.  In a time of great need and all those people thought about was the money they could con out of innocent victims.

I realise this is a worldwide problem.  It happens everywhere, but it most definitely should not.  Especially when the victims have nothing to spare.  My hope is that all those affected by these criminals get the housing they so rightly deserve.

October 27, 2006, 6:56 am CDT

10/27 New Orleans Scam?

Quote From: afraid

I am a painter and I'm laid off right now and going through tough times myself but I would also contribute , as a voluteer .

October 27, 2006, 7:02 am CDT

Dr. Phil You Are The Best

I just finished viewing the show and I was so saddened by the way people can prey on other human beings when they are at their lowest point in life. The guy "Paul" is obviously used to getting away with this type of fraudulent behavior. I don't think he EVER thought that he and his crooked company would ever be held responsible for taking advantage of Mary, Lenny , Julie & Robert and the other guest on today's show. He & and his crooks will get theirs in the end!

I just cried my eyes out when I saw all the things that Dr. Phil and his connections could do for Mary - building her a new home. I can't even imagine raising 10 children, living a full and wonderful life as she has done and then have this happen to her in what should be her golden years.

I am so happy that Dr. Phil was able to take at least some of the sting out of these peoples lives and hopefully has gotten them on the road to continuing with their life as they should before "Paul" and his crooks came into their lives.

Thanks again Dr. Phil - You Are Definitely ONE of the Good Guys!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last