Message Boards

Topic : 06/25 The Dr. Phil House: House of Hatred, Part 2

Number of Replies: 152
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 27, 2006, 02:14:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/30/06) Dr. Phil continues his work with six individuals with different prejudices living under the same roof. After John tries to make arrangements to leave, Dr. Phil arrives with a wake-up call for all the guests. Then, the house guests participate in exercises that challenge their personal space and force them to examine their inner values. When the participants have to look their adversaries in the eye and tell them, with brutal honesty, why they hate them, will seeing the hurt they cause change their thinking? Christina and Tessa finally sit down for a heart-to-heart talk, sharing their experiences and their pain. Dr. Phil sends them on a special assignment where they have to trust each other with their lives. As they begin to bridge the gap, Dr. Phil helps them see that they’re not so different after all. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 30, 2006, 2:22 pm CST

Pool Party For John?!

First off I have a pet peeve with the word "RACIST"  last I checked we are all of the HUMAN RACE there are people who are PREJUDICED  but "racist" gadzooks we are all of the HUMAN RACE so unless someone says they are from another planet ... The thing about John's size and his ability or lack thereof to wash himself well I did see a pool there so why hasn't anyone suggested he just jump into the pool with a bar of organic soap?! Surely the other people in the house would not mind him getting clean in the pool and even if he just sat in the pool the chlorine alone even in there would take some of the problem away and it would not be hard for John to go into the pool. They could even make it a fun thing and all have a pool party! "House of Hatred" Hope that this experiment works Dr. Phil...good on you for doing it.

Believe that all humans are good through self-cultivation, self-knowledge that is how we do it. Appreciate each person individually and not bring our expectations as to whom or how we think they should be or act into it is a necessity!

October 30, 2006, 2:27 pm CST

Nice work ladies...

And it was WORK! It's funny how we think we "hate" because of bias, tho we often do for very different reasons..often hurt in our past. There was an excellent show on "another channel" called "Starting Over" that taught me a lot about my own feelings and where/how they formed. If we all can't go into psychotherapy, more TV like these shows sure do help. It sure would be nice to see Harpo Productions (if not a major network) bring it back as those who benefit from it's daily broadcast learn a lot! Thanks Dr. Phil, for a condensed version..if only we ALL could learn from these lessons! YES,I HAVE BEEN CALLED A POLYANNA! But i DO pray for more compassion & understanding in this crazy world we live in! :)

October 30, 2006, 2:33 pm CST

Prejudices based on SOME fact

As I watch the people in the Dr. Phil house it becomes obvious that the problem here is expectation.  The fact is that EVERY prejudice in this house is based on some fact.  Ex. some fat people do smell, some skinny people are VERY rude, many blacks have entitlement attitudes, white people make a lot of negative assumptions about blacks, many people that are gay ARE that way out of dysfunction (ex, the sexually abused girl that turns to lesbianism as an escape, not saying all gay people are that way),  many straight people have irrational fears about gay people.  They (and many others) need to have an attitude of "SO WHAT!"  There are flaws inherent in every human.  And it is obvious, if unpopular, that certain flaws DO tend to concentrate in certain groups.  But I think if we take what Jesus said to heart, "he without sin can cast the first stone," then we can begin a real dialogue about these things.  The flaws of white people, gay people, skinny people, are no worse or better than those of black people, straight people, and fat people.  And there is NO ONE FLAW exclusive to one group.  This expectation of perfection is permeating our culture (we don't think we can even judge terrorism as bad until we become perfect as a nation, just insane)!  We seriously need to lighten up and just see each other as broken, damaged, and wanting the same things... to love, to be loved, to be good and proud of the lives we lead.  We need to stop making it harder on each other.

October 30, 2006, 2:33 pm CST

Yay..a soulmate!

Quote From: kathleen18

Even when you aren't a prejudice person, some times it is forced on you.  I have always been a one-on-one person, I don't embrace the whole of any race, or a persons sexual preference, or if they are obese or skinny.  My friends run the gamut.  But, if I don't like someone it isn't because they are black, gay, heterosexual, etc., it is because I don't like their personality.  Do you know how many times I have been put down because I don't like someone and they throw it back in my face saying it is because of their race, etc.?  As in, you aren't allowed to dislike someone just because they aren't your type of person?   I don't sit around thinking about racism, hatred.  When I go out, I try to treat everyone I encounter the way I want to be treated.  And if everyone did that, I guess there wouldn't be prejudice!!

October 30, 2006, 2:36 pm CST

Message to Hatred House - Not Everyone is Prejudiced

This is an open message to everyone in the Dr. Phil Hatred House -

There are many educated, intelligent people that are not prejudiced against people regardless of difference - I am one of the many.  I know you are hurting.  Please know that there are many of us that don't care what color, sexual preference, religion or weight someone might be.  Please don't let fears of not being accepted stop you from reaching out for understanding. 

Love, hope and understanding to you all,

Sunnysmiles

October 30, 2006, 2:42 pm CST

Maybe..

Quote From: bluefairy

This has been the problem of this world  for a really long time.  All this hatred,anger all over this world.
"Jesus loves the little children
Red,Yellow,Black and White
All are precious in his sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world"
If we remove the skin from all people of this world. We all would be the same.
but we would all have differing personalities, talents, likes/dislikes/values, intelligence, sense of humor or lack thereof, as well as the good & evil factor and much , much more. We'd still be different & unique and would choose who we like or maybe don't. It's a grand thought, though humanity is flawed & somehow we find a way to fight. Sad isn't it?

October 30, 2006, 3:21 pm CST

gosh ft phil you wernt kidding about the language"

thank you for the warning at the begining of the show, i was happy to see some progeress with all 6 there, and i do hope they will be able to express themselves to each other with out the bad language,i do know in anger words are spoken with out thinking about the other persons feelings,most of the time i think people just mis word what they are trying to say to each other, i know i do at times,bit i dont use words that would make any race or life style feel lower to me, i have found its better for me not to speak when im angery as to not say anything i dont relly mean,

October 30, 2006, 3:30 pm CST

i totally agree

Quote From: sunnysmiles

There are many educated, intelligent people that are not prejudiced against people regardless of difference - I am one of the many.  I know you are hurting.  Please know that there are many of us that don't care what color, sexual preference, religion or weight someone might be.  Please don't let fears of not being accepted stop you from reaching out for understanding. 

Sunnysmiles

I signed on to say this exact same thing.  I'm of mixed nationality and am not straight but I am a Christian.  I've had to deal with a lot of the prejudices that i've seen on this show.  As Dr. Phil said I can't believe that there are people who are truly that uninformed about people that are different than them.  I thank everyone in the Dr Phil house for going on television to not only help themselves, but help us understand why you could feel the way that you do.  I feel for all of you and I wish you all the best.

October 30, 2006, 4:01 pm CST

Dr. Phil House of Hared

Quote From: sunnysmiles

Sunnysmiles

While watching the first show my daugther and I liked the African American woman the most who hated whites. We are sorry she has had such a bad experience in life with white people, which we are. We have two friends whom we love dearly (the whole family) they are not only gay but one is African American and one white. They are great, loving, wonderful men. Gee, alot of the people at the beginning of the show would not have liked them and what a loss it would have been to them.

October 30, 2006, 4:34 pm CST

I think there is a difference between religious beliefs and hatred

Quote From: jthomas23

growing up around the gay community, and a christian family, i have to say that your message really worries me.  I'm very glad that you were able to see that gay people are just nice normal people.   I think that Tessa could be a very good representation for the gay community because she is nice and very normal.  I know that she said she hates straight people and there is a lot of hurt in the gay community from the straight community, and i don't agree with that anger she feels but she is doing a great job on here and that's incredible.

The previous post was saying that they simply don't agree with nor understand being gay, that they have religious beliefs that they hold dear to them. The person was not outwardly expressing anger or hatred toward gay people which to me is the real crux of the issue. Why is it that society is now expecting everyone to embrace homesexuality, why can't those that don't agree with it receive as much dignity and respect as those that think it is perfectly fine. As long as people are not emotionally or physically hurt by a viewpoint I don't see a need to change it. On the other hand if I wanted to celebrate being straight, I'd be called homophobic and insensative.

Personally, I am offended in general when one's sexuality, gay, bisexual or straight is a topic of discussion or activity. What people do in their bedroom is nothing I care to know about. If I want to get to know someone and the topic comes up that is one thing but to lead with one's sexual preference to me is just more than I want to know.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last