Message Boards

Topic : 11/01 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 531
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 27, 2006, 02:20:08 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you know someone whose behavior is always making you raise an eyebrow? Dr. Phil helps his guests distinguish what's normal and what's not. Kelly says she’s tired of her husband, Scott’s, jokes. She says they’re inappropriate, obnoxious and rude. Scott admits that his jokes can be sexual in nature, but he loves being the life of the party. Will Kelly loosen up, or does Scott need to tone it down? Then, Vicki fears that she’s dying and visits the doctor at least once a week. Her husband, Harvey, says she needs to stop worrying about her health or she’s really going to make herself sick. Is it all in Vicki’s head, or does she really have a reason to be afraid? And, Shelita refuses to celebrate the holidays because she says they’re pagan festivals. Her sister, Akea, says she contradicts herself by accepting presents. Will Akea be able to embrace her sister’s decision, or is Shelita being unreasonable? Plus, Dr. Phil and Robin kick off their participation in the 2006 Toys for Tots holiday campaign! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 27, 2006, 7:30 pm CDT

11/01 Is This Normal?

OMG!  Finally, a show that talks about Pagan holidays! LMAO!

Let me just say that, I didn't read anything about this (the info isn't up yet), but if it's Halloween she's talking about, she's right that is a Pagan holiday.  Easter and Christmas has Pagan traditions as well. =)

Should be a very interesting show to watch and I am anxious to see how the Doc "tells it how it is." LOL

October 27, 2006, 7:41 pm CDT

11/01 Is This Normal?

Dr. Phil, you know you have many Pagans that watch your show and will be watching to see if the info (regarding these holidays) is correct.  I hope you make it clear that Yule (Winter Solstice) was being celebrated thousands of years before Christmas, and much of the Christmas traditions do stem from Pagan beliefs.  Christians attempted to convert Pagans by bringing their beliefs into the Christan holidays. 

Also, please remind the guests, and everyone, that Pagans are not bad, or evil people.  So, really, why would it be bad to celebrate something that is so peaceful?

And if the guest really doesn't want to celebrate it because of it's Pagan origins, then fine.  That is up to her. 

October 27, 2006, 7:44 pm CDT

11/01 Is This Normal?

Quote From: elffie

OMG!  Finally, a show that talks about Pagan holidays! LMAO!

Let me just say that, I didn't read anything about this (the info isn't up yet), but if it's Halloween she's talking about, she's right that is a Pagan holiday.  Easter and Christmas has Pagan traditions as well. =)

Should be a very interesting show to watch and I am anxious to see how the Doc "tells it how it is." LOL

i agree. when I start listing what's pagan about holidays some people look like they've been slapped!  Then of course, I just start laughing. (I guess that doesn't help) Anyway, I'll be watching it should be interesting

October 27, 2006, 8:34 pm CDT

11/01 Is This Normal?

Quote From: elffie

Dr. Phil, you know you have many Pagans that watch your show and will be watching to see if the info (regarding these holidays) is correct.  I hope you make it clear that Yule (Winter Solstice) was being celebrated thousands of years before Christmas, and much of the Christmas traditions do stem from Pagan beliefs.  Christians attempted to convert Pagans by bringing their beliefs into the Christan holidays. 

Also, please remind the guests, and everyone, that Pagans are not bad, or evil people.  So, really, why would it be bad to celebrate something that is so peaceful?

And if the guest really doesn't want to celebrate it because of it's Pagan origins, then fine.  That is up to her. 

I have found that almost all of the time Dr Phil has his facts straight.  Even if things tend to disagree with Christianity.

And if he gets it wrong you can always write in and get to be on one of those shows where you get to challenge him! LOLOL

October 27, 2006, 8:46 pm CDT

11/01 Is This Normal?

Quote From: purplepenny

I have found that almost all of the time Dr Phil has his facts straight.  Even if things tend to disagree with Christianity.

And if he gets it wrong you can always write in and get to be on one of those shows where you get to challenge him! LOLOL

Oh, yeah, that would be fun! LOL

And I know he does have a lot of his facts straight, but he also has a wide Christian audience that will be watching and probably posting saying that he didn't tell the truth.  Oh, well.....

It all comes down to if the lady doesn't want to celebrate the holiday, then she shouldn't.  We all have that right. 

October 28, 2006, 3:14 pm CDT

So what!

The lady doesn't want to celebrate holidays. And so what, she accepts a gift, if you have a problemw ith some one acceptonmg something then don't buy them something, get over it.

I have been ridiculed many times for not taking my kids trick or treating, what's the big deal and who's business is it anyway? Believe me, my kids are not missing a thing, they have hteir fun and activites and tehy come home happy and fullfilled, no needt o take them to a bnch of strangers home for treats, thre are better places to get those and they don't have to dress up like freakin lookin, scary obnoxious beings to have a good time, that's the rule in my home and our family traditions will continue as is regardless of what others think.

My daughters school had their fall party and no costumes were aloud, did they miss out on anything, no way, the child came home with alot more treats then she has ever seen as well as a couple days before that, had another activity at hte school, came home with a bag full of treats, right along with the excitement of the fun, games, singing,food, friends. two more activities to go and it isn't including the traditional trick or treating, don't need it.

holidays, in my opinion is the tie to come and celebrate and have fun together and so what if we all celebrate in differnet ways to meet the needs and desires of our families, what a boring world this would be if we all did the same thing the same way, I celebrate my way, you celebrate your way and when our children grow up and can make decissions like this on their own,t ehy will develop their own ways of celebrating and that is the way it should be.

So to the sister who disagrees with her sister for not celebrating, get over it and go do your own thing. no where does it say that it is mandadtory to celerate int he same ways as every one else. Actually, it's really a cool thing to do your own thing, makes it more special that way.

October 28, 2006, 3:52 pm CDT

We can only hope...

That either Dr. Phil already knows the truth about these Pagan holidays, and will put peoples fears to rest of the steriotype we Pagans face daily

Or that Him or at least one of his staff that is close enough to him ..reads these message boards!!

Brightest Blessings All!

October 28, 2006, 4:06 pm CDT

Skull-topped Christmas tree

My sister refuses (or is not allowed) to talk to me at all any more.  Her first husband beat her into submission and her current husband has kept her there.  She calls herself evil and tops her Christmas tree with a skull.

IS THIS NORMAL? 

Is there a pagan ritual that is being practiced here that I don't understand? 

October 28, 2006, 6:26 pm CDT

11/01 Is This Normal?

I'm a church pastor who has given up trying to get members to understand that wreaths, trees, mistletoe, and red and green have nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas and are indeed symbols of pagan religions.  But, if they want to celebrate with over the top decorating and gift buying, I guess I won't be able to stop them.   I wonder what the originator of Christmas thinks about it, though. 

I grew up in a midwestern, mid-sized city where the local political cartoonist used the same cartoon every Christmas day for years on end.  Hugh Haynie depicted a person staring off into air, holding his incredibly full Christmas gift list.  He thinks to himself "Have I forgotten anybody?"

as the One whose birthday it is is looking over his shoulder, finding his name nowhere on the list.

I personally decided years ago that Christmas cards, parties, clothes, foods and the like would be eliminated from my celebrations.  I would only do those things that put Christ at the center.  Since that decision, Christmas has become happier, longer-lasting, with absolutely no post-holiday let-down.  After Christmas comes the rest of the Christian year with an equal amount of meaning and joy.  I would never want to return to the shopping malls and kitchen to find Christmas. 

Thank you for listening.  Nobody else around here will!   <grin>

October 28, 2006, 7:26 pm CDT

Please lets get back to basics!

Are you people kidding me? Usually I dislike commenting on religion or politics, but I think one if you do not have kids, back off this topic and to each their own. Second, if you have kids who cares if it has a religious intention or not! Trick or treating is not about any religious concept. We have a homecoming during high school if you want to be technical that is a pagean holiday too, because it is something done annually and at just about every school. Sure we need to be cautious, but lets remember they are KIDS, because you are too damn lazy to worry or buy candy, excuses like its a pagean holiday comes into play. I wonder if you take that into account for everything else too, or is it that you just cannot be bothered taking your kids out and doing the whole costume thing. There are things you do not want to do as parents, but remember as a kids your fond memories of just that, being a kid. I also bet that people who choose not to take part in these activities because of the so-called religion factor also had bad memories of their own from childhood, but as a wake up call, does not mean it will happen to your children, not unless you break the chain. I think that Pagean holiday and Jehavah Witness' take their own beliefs a little too far into a society that does not need or want their negative feelings toward "holidays" that they do not want to take place in.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last