Message Boards

Topic : Tired of Being Single

Number of Replies: 3875
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:12:41 pm
Author : dataimport

Have you had enough of the single life? What are you doing to find happiness? Share your story. For your safety and privacy, please do not post personal information such as phone numbers, addresses, social security numbers or any other private information. Please use common sense when using this message board and never give out your personal information online.

You participate on the Message Boards at your own risk. Responsibility for postings under your identification and disclosing personal information about yourself is done at your own risk. DrPhil.com takes no responsibility for such postings.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 5, 2005, 10:36 am CDT

New Message Board Topic?

I'm curious to know if anyone else who reads this topic would be interested in seeing new topics that address dating issues of different age groups of people such as 20's 30's 40's etc of under  and over 40.  I know I would. 

October 5, 2005, 1:04 pm CDT

Tired of Being Single

October 7, 2005, 3:48 pm CDT

hello i am skydancers

I am 29 yrs old, i live with my father, and am not at all embarresed of that. I do however want to get married ok i know you have to date first but i have tried the date web thing, it don't work. I have been on a few dates from here where i live but i keep finding the losers. I think I am a pretty girl, and i am a loving kind. I have so much to give someone if men would just give me a chance. Now i am a little over weight but i don't think i am fat by no means. I also find myself maybe a little scared of the love thing for I have been hurt so much, but I do not try to let that get in the way, maybe i need help... I do put all this in the lords hands an dif it is in his will it shall be done. But i get impatient, for i am not getting any younger and i do want children. Anyway, i work at a drug rehab, it is a little streesful at times but i love it when i can help these women. God bless you all.

October 7, 2005, 6:52 pm CDT

Tired of Being Single

Quote From: starrlight

I've been with Bill for 2 years. This is the 3rd time I have left him. He keeps promising to change and always does the same crap. I take him back with his promise to change and then he shows me that he's not gonna change. This time I told him that until he shows me instead of tells me that he is capable of change, I am not going back. I told him he has 6 months to show me that it is possible for him to do the right thing. After 6 months of him doing the right thing I told him I will go home. Now however, I wonder should I go, even if he does change. Isn't 2 chances enough? I do love him, but enough is enough, right?
that's a few too many chances if you ask me.  That's six months of your precious time he is wasting.

October 7, 2005, 6:56 pm CDT

Tired of Being Single

Quote From: qwenb19

I am a newly 22 year old female.  I guess you could say that I have not lead the typical kinda of a 20 year olds life...I bought my first house when I was 18 and I got my RN when I was 19...I have no school loans...car paid off.....career....and......have realized that I have sacreficed having any sort of a social life tobe where I am today.  Proud yes....but I empty..complety!  I have been on one date in my life...never even held hands with a guy or even shared a kiss.I am a hopeless romantic and feel saddened because I can't watch a love movie and know what it feels like to be kissed..how it must feel for someone to gaze into your eyes knowing they are staring at your heart....love songs are just constant reminders of what I am missing...So  bottom line is....I do go out with friends to dance and to social gatherings...online been there done that.....but every guy I have ever got feed back from has said that I am intimidating and that I am "too good to mess up"....If it sounds like I have an ego I apoligize..I am not in my mind bragging...the sorrow of my loinlyness is croading my soul..and I fight every day to keep thinking I will find someone someday....what Is a girl to do?
...just out of curiosity, how old are the people you are hanging out with?

October 7, 2005, 11:16 pm CDT

Dating in Your 40's?!

Quote From: mebrn5619

I'm curious to know if anyone else who reads this topic would be interested in seeing new topics that address dating issues of different age groups of people such as 20's 30's 40's etc of under  and over 40.  I know I would. 
     You have my attention. I haven't been on a date since 1983. I wasted five years of my life in a relationship with a guy whose family did not approve of me(he was Caucasian, I'm not). That sort of cured me of the desire to date. I know, I shouldn't judge all men by one bad experience, but the dating scene actually scares me. Whenever I gave a guy my phone number, it has NOT been a pleasant experience. I wonder if there are others out there who have had similar experiences. By the way, I'm--over 40. :-)

October 8, 2005, 12:21 am CDT

He's just not that interested in you...

Quote From: a8m1961

I work with someone who I feel compatible with.We seem to have good communication skills except when it comes to romance. I don't know if we're both scared to death to be romantic with each other or if it's just the fact that he has no romantic inclinations towards me. How can I tell if a guy is romantically interested? I've worked with him for 3 years and it's just been in the past several months that I have even considered him in a romantic way.
He's just not that interested in you...read the book. Move on and stop wasting your time. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

October 8, 2005, 5:02 pm CDT

Shallow Hal and Chasing Amy: Gender fantasies

Quote From: voidheart

Out of th box?  Do you mean, like in the movie Shallow Hal?  Hey, young, old, pretty or ugly, it does not matter.  A man's heart, soul, and sense of purpose, is all at risk with the opposite sex.  Us guys call it " Oprahism" or the, " Me, me, me, me ,me"  generation of women. They get wed on the new vows, " Until something better comes along"!  For now, rather than Forever!  It's too much work and risk for a man to chase a woman.  I'd rather go shopping for " Rent a Girlfriend ", at least the women are honest about who they are, and what they want from you!  Out of the box no, off the planet maybe!! Thx.....Voidheart.
Eh, what can you do if you are heterosexual though? Orgasms are better in pairs. I'm 28 and have been rejected by pretty much every woman. The few who have hit on me were either involved with another man or woman, and/or into multipartner sex. Its not like I don't hit on women, or am totally superficial. Thursday I asked a woman out who has repeatedly initiated conversation with me before class. She's an environmental science student that usually talks to me about politics or Buffy, so I told her she was welcome to join me in seeing Serenity friday night. She said she couldn't go friday because she had to go to a topless resteraunt that night. I am a little confused as to whether she is a lesbian or a stripper (my understanding is both.) Eitherway we may end up friends, and the more the merrier, but like why can't lesbians speak with a distinctive lisp or something like most gay guys? Lesbian stereotypes are totally useless. Most the women with short hair and baggy pants around here are straight. Ok, so getting rejected for sapphic reasons is probably the easiest form of rejection, unless of course the guy knows you are lying. Last night I got rejected with a lie in a manner that would have previously lead to depression. A woman came to a party I was at and asked if anyone could break her into her house for her. I did (the host verified she lived there,) we ended up talking and eventually she came back to the party with me. When she towards the morning left I asked her for her phone number and she said she didn't have a phone. A college boy sitting nearby said "Dude, that was cold," to her as she left as he had overheard earlier conversation. Earlier said she was having problems with her dial up connection upon finding out I make money setting up and securing computer networks. She smiled. Women seem to have fun degrading men. Most of my friends are women, but its no help. Three female friends last week complained about their lack of a sex life, though trust me that was no hint towards me. One was going on about some guy with a large penis. The second seems to focus on cute boys more than 10 years younger. The third basically physically desired and was courting an ex-boyfriend she had previously told me was disrespectful. And I mean this is a small percentage of the women I've been rejected by, but it is pretty reflective of the general picture. Another woman who turned me down had previously said I'm like talking to a gay guy. Well, I'm not. I don't even know why she said that as I am far from stylishly metrosexual, ex-military, and slightly more libertarian than liberal. The funny thing is after she said this I went to a gay bar and guys hit on me right away; guys that I knew most women would find attractive. Alas even though personality wise I find them more appealing, physically I am only attracted to women. I guess I can't go that far "outside the box" and that certain physical features are essential. At this point it no longer hurts. I just don't respect women. Don't take this to mean I am a woman-hater. I just can't respect the gender that repeatedly implies I am beneath them and continue to respect myself. Its not that I'm coming off wrong, they simply don't want me for who I am. Wheel chair dude, you are in the same boat. You only decent chance would indicate a need for cash. Perhaps you could sell a show to Fox in which you trick women into thinking you are rich (with their help.) And Mr. Ship dude, don't think that it is simply these females can't find men. They have been conditioned to lust certain characteristics we don't possess, and it has nothing to do with your ability to raise a child. On the bright side, I've realized sexual attraction is by no means subject to agency. The nature vs. nurture debate is irrelavant as eitherway it is not a matter of will. I will always be attracted to women, and for much the same reason it isn't their fault they aren't attracted to me. Thank god for high speed internet. At least the love in Onanism is requited and I can totally have it 5 times a day if I want.

October 10, 2005, 3:29 am CDT

nerves!!!!

Ok, I'm 31 years old, never had a boyfriend, and I can't seem to get over my nervousness when it comes to being around a guy I'd want to talk to.  I started getting over it a few years ago, but thanks to my mom COMPLETELY EMBARRASSING me in front of this guy I'd gotten up the nerve to speak to before this incident, my confidence has plummeted once again.  The thing is, I still see this guy around town once in a while and I'm sure he's a nice person to talk to but I can't even look at him.  Some people might say give up on him but I'm picky and he's the only person that fits my type around here.  I saw him yesterday and wanted to go around him but my heart was racing and my mom was with me again so I was barely able to walk, much less speak.  He probably thinks I'm the biggest snob.  How can I give over it so I can get a chance to at least speak to him again?

October 10, 2005, 4:20 pm CDT

Grow up

Quote From: darkpurple

Ok, I'm 31 years old, never had a boyfriend, and I can't seem to get over my nervousness when it comes to being around a guy I'd want to talk to.  I started getting over it a few years ago, but thanks to my mom COMPLETELY EMBARRASSING me in front of this guy I'd gotten up the nerve to speak to before this incident, my confidence has plummeted once again.  The thing is, I still see this guy around town once in a while and I'm sure he's a nice person to talk to but I can't even look at him.  Some people might say give up on him but I'm picky and he's the only person that fits my type around here.  I saw him yesterday and wanted to go around him but my heart was racing and my mom was with me again so I was barely able to walk, much less speak.  He probably thinks I'm the biggest snob.  How can I give over it so I can get a chance to at least speak to him again?
It is time for you to let you mom go take a hike. Let her know that you have been embarrassed and certainly do not need someone to bring you down especially your own mother. Send this guy a note of apology and wishing to meet with him. See what happens. If he does not reply let it go...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last