Message Boards

Topic : Tired of Being Single

Number of Replies: 3875
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:12:41 pm
Author : dataimport

Have you had enough of the single life? What are you doing to find happiness? Share your story. For your safety and privacy, please do not post personal information such as phone numbers, addresses, social security numbers or any other private information. Please use common sense when using this message board and never give out your personal information online.

You participate on the Message Boards at your own risk. Responsibility for postings under your identification and disclosing personal information about yourself is done at your own risk. DrPhil.com takes no responsibility for such postings.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 29, 2005, 10:26 am CDT

Tired of Being Single

Quote From: starrlight

I've been with Bill for 2 years. This is the 3rd time I have left him. He keeps promising to change and always does the same crap. I take him back with his promise to change and then he shows me that he's not gonna change. This time I told him that until he shows me instead of tells me that he is capable of change, I am not going back. I told him he has 6 months to show me that it is possible for him to do the right thing. After 6 months of him doing the right thing I told him I will go home. Now however, I wonder should I go, even if he does change. Isn't 2 chances enough? I do love him, but enough is enough, right?
They usually don't change and if they do it is only temporarily until they think they have pacified you enough to get away with it again.

September 29, 2005, 11:47 pm CDT

Tired of Being Single

Quote From: daisy77

I'd like to know how u can give yourself to someone again after being shattered by your ex...i had my heart broken for the first time in 27 yrs last year....we were married for 5yrs together 10....i swear i wouldn't survive being shattered again. 

Hello Dear, 

Its matter of trust, if you trusted the man and believe in what he said and he's real honest and loving caring person you will give you heart so easy, I am here not because i been hurt but that hurt that cutted my hear wasnt because of her and she didnt nothing to me but the cancer did, the cancer took her away from me, and after her i lost every feeling towards any female and never think that i will be looking for a woamn to share the life with me, till she came in my dreams and asked me to find another one and keep my life going, and i tried to find a woman but all i met wasnt honest with me playing all the time and most of them lies, so i stopped looking, about 3 years my oldest brother passed she came and asked me to the second time to keep looking and from that time never found the one who could share the life and the love that i hold inside my heart. yes i been tired of being single but its not my fault still looking ,,,,, but where's she?????? 

October 1, 2005, 7:58 am CDT

They Are Out There So Am I

It amazes me how I can hear about so many women that would like to fall in love with a decent man, and here I am thinking I would like to fall in love with a decent woman.  Like ships passing in the night, only to feel the waves of another ship passing by.

October 1, 2005, 2:02 pm CDT

Ships passing in the night?

Quote From: dannyb4

It amazes me how I can hear about so many women that would like to fall in love with a decent man, and here I am thinking I would like to fall in love with a decent woman.  Like ships passing in the night, only to feel the waves of another ship passing by.

That's a romantic notion if I ever heard one. Unfortunately it's more like two ships ramming head on at full speed. No one knows what happened and by the time you figure it out you're both sinking rapidly, only to discover poor planning has left you short on lifeboats.  

October 4, 2005, 12:46 am CDT

Tired of Being Single

Quote From: mohammed

Hello Dear, 

Its matter of trust, if you trusted the man and believe in what he said and he's real honest and loving caring person you will give you heart so easy, I am here not because i been hurt but that hurt that cutted my hear wasnt because of her and she didnt nothing to me but the cancer did, the cancer took her away from me, and after her i lost every feeling towards any female and never think that i will be looking for a woamn to share the life with me, till she came in my dreams and asked me to find another one and keep my life going, and i tried to find a woman but all i met wasnt honest with me playing all the time and most of them lies, so i stopped looking, about 3 years my oldest brother passed she came and asked me to the second time to keep looking and from that time never found the one who could share the life and the love that i hold inside my heart. yes i been tired of being single but its not my fault still looking ,,,,, but where's she?????? 

i can understand your feeling because i also lost my previous fiancee as he died at early age. i was absolutely depressed and wanted to die. but i read some useful books that helped me to deal with death and i understood that we all die sooner or later. God decides when it´s our time to leave earth. and every day is so valuable and it´s important to be grateful for every thing that we have. i have now a good man in my life and hopefully soon we are married. i can say im truly happy:) 

think about your loved one, she must be anxious in the heaven as she knows your suffering in life. it´s admirable and good that you are so devoted to her but im sure SHE wants you to be happy and if that means you look for someone to share the rest of life with -im sure she respects that. there are lots of honest but lonely single women everywhere in the world. keep on looking and you will find her. im confident that God brings the right person along when time is right and we are ready for that:) 

October 4, 2005, 12:57 am CDT

Tired of Being Single

Quote From: sweetpee26

I am 27 years old and single again. I have had two serious relationships in the past 4 years and both have ended with my boyfriends cheating on me. What is it that makes men do this? Is one woman not good enough? I was with one for two and a half years, we went through alot and I was there with him through some really rough times in his life and to thank me for it he got another woman pregnant while we were trying to have a baby. The second came along a few months later and really was there for me through a rough spot in my life but just like the first he couldn't be with just one woman either. I am a very nice, sweet, caring, and loving person who just wants to be in love and be happy. Is that too much to ask for nowadays? I'm starting to think it is. I just want someone who is willing to meet me half way and have a partnership. I am starting to lose hope!

im very sorry to hear about your hard experiences. i hope you have at least learnt something :) you clearly had wrong type of boyfriends. you shouldnt be afraid of being alone for a while too, as long as it takes, and spend time discovering your self and what you truly want for your life. im sure that when you are confident and enjoy being alone too, you will attract the right type of person for you. there are lots of faithful and trustworthy men out there :)  

in life there is so much to be happy about, not only being in a relationship :) i think after a harmful relationship like that we´d all need some time alone and doing things we like -to concentrate on ourselves instead of searching things outside. isn´t it what DR.PHIL says, you teach other how to treat you :)? and it´s important to know&trust yourself before you can know&trust someone else. so i hope you aren´t in hurry looking for a boyfriend but concentrate on yourself -then im sure the right guy will come along and you´ll be happier than you could ever imagine :) 

take care. never lose hope :) 

October 4, 2005, 5:38 am CDT

trying to keep my head up

I am a newly 22 year old female.  I guess you could say that I have not lead the typical kinda of a 20 year olds life...I bought my first house when I was 18 and I got my RN when I was 19...I have no school loans...car paid off.....career....and......have realized that I have sacreficed having any sort of a social life tobe where I am today.  Proud yes....but I empty..complety!  I have been on one date in my life...never even held hands with a guy or even shared a kiss.I am a hopeless romantic and feel saddened because I can't watch a love movie and know what it feels like to be kissed..how it must feel for someone to gaze into your eyes knowing they are staring at your heart....love songs are just constant reminders of what I am missing...So  bottom line is....I do go out with friends to dance and to social gatherings...online been there done that.....but every guy I have ever got feed back from has said that I am intimidating and that I am "too good to mess up"....If it sounds like I have an ego I apoligize..I am not in my mind bragging...the sorrow of my loinlyness is croading my soul..and I fight every day to keep thinking I will find someone someday....what Is a girl to do?

October 4, 2005, 10:28 am CDT

you come off to much

Quote From: qwenb19

I am a newly 22 year old female.  I guess you could say that I have not lead the typical kinda of a 20 year olds life...I bought my first house when I was 18 and I got my RN when I was 19...I have no school loans...car paid off.....career....and......have realized that I have sacreficed having any sort of a social life tobe where I am today.  Proud yes....but I empty..complety!  I have been on one date in my life...never even held hands with a guy or even shared a kiss.I am a hopeless romantic and feel saddened because I can't watch a love movie and know what it feels like to be kissed..how it must feel for someone to gaze into your eyes knowing they are staring at your heart....love songs are just constant reminders of what I am missing...So  bottom line is....I do go out with friends to dance and to social gatherings...online been there done that.....but every guy I have ever got feed back from has said that I am intimidating and that I am "too good to mess up"....If it sounds like I have an ego I apoligize..I am not in my mind bragging...the sorrow of my loinlyness is croading my soul..and I fight every day to keep thinking I will find someone someday....what Is a girl to do?
If you read your message, you start off with going on and on about how much you accomplished...which is great, no doubt.  But to men, this comes off like, what can you do for me now?  You need to be yourself, not show off so much about all that other stuff.....because that doesn't mean much to someone that just wants to go on a simple date.  Sounds like you don't have much people skills.  You are smart and witty, so use that to your advantage than disadvantage.  Talk about your career to others, but hold off on all the other stuff, until people ask?  Talk to people about sports, hobbies...anything other than all that other stuff.  You should be proud of yourself, you are one of a few.  I too bought a house at age 23, great job at 19, car paid off but nobody cares unless I am married or dating someone seriously.  You need to kick up your heels.  What about your co-workers?  Ask some of them to go to happy hour after work.  Then you can also make few friends outside of work.  Book club, yoga, kick boxing (lots of men!).  You will be happy in no time , just be yourself and have fun!

October 4, 2005, 3:37 pm CDT

what a dilemma!

I work with someone who I feel compatible with.We seem to have good communication skills except when it comes to romance. I don't know if we're both scared to death to be romantic with each other or if it's just the fact that he has no romantic inclinations towards me. How can I tell if a guy is romantically interested? I've worked with him for 3 years and it's just been in the past several months that I have even considered him in a romantic way.

October 5, 2005, 5:05 am CDT

thanks for the input

Quote From: latingirl

If you read your message, you start off with going on and on about how much you accomplished...which is great, no doubt.  But to men, this comes off like, what can you do for me now?  You need to be yourself, not show off so much about all that other stuff.....because that doesn't mean much to someone that just wants to go on a simple date.  Sounds like you don't have much people skills.  You are smart and witty, so use that to your advantage than disadvantage.  Talk about your career to others, but hold off on all the other stuff, until people ask?  Talk to people about sports, hobbies...anything other than all that other stuff.  You should be proud of yourself, you are one of a few.  I too bought a house at age 23, great job at 19, car paid off but nobody cares unless I am married or dating someone seriously.  You need to kick up your heels.  What about your co-workers?  Ask some of them to go to happy hour after work.  Then you can also make few friends outside of work.  Book club, yoga, kick boxing (lots of men!).  You will be happy in no time , just be yourself and have fun!

After I hit the post buttom I sort of took a deep gulp....knowing that I just set myself up for judgment....now in retrospect I look back and think..hummm....I must have been feeling pretty needy! I don't typically put any of that info out there...in fact the average person does not know my age not ANY of my accomplishments.  I am not in particular proud to say I have this..and this...and this.....! I am actually a pretty empathic person and have pretty good people skills...I make friends easly...I am a great ear for listening and try and always find the silver linning. 

I guess I put all that out there as examples and was rather thinking it would be a good way to show that hey...I am ambitious..a hard worker...finacially secure....and what is wrong with me that I just can't get a date?...But as I continue to type on I realize that I can only portray to you what I put in words and for someone to really know me I would have to write a far more than a mere few paragraphs to wholisticly give you a view of me...so in other words I cut myself short...put in a few words a statement that gave you a first impression of me I can't take back...my bad. 

Thanks for responding and I try and pick up hobbies however I have yet to ever meet anyone in those areanas. my friends are between the ages of 35 and 40 and they have children and are married.hummmm....thanks for the input i appreciate the fact that you cred enough to respond. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last