Message Boards

Topic : 03/29 Cougars and Sugar Daddies

Number of Replies: 1371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 03, 2006, 01:01:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/08/06) When it comes to dating, they say age is just a number. But what happens when the man is more than two decades older than his girlfriend, or the woman is 15 years older than her young lover? Forty-year-old Sanjay is a wealthy cosmetic surgeon who met 18-year-old Jacqueline on the Web site SugarDaddie.com. They’ve only been together four months but are already talking marriage. Sanjay’s friend, Mike, is convinced that Jacqueline will put him right in the poorhouse! Is there a chance that Sanjay has found true love, or is Jacqueline just in it for the money? Then, 24-year-old Ryan is engaged to Angela, a woman 15 years his senior. Ryan’s friend, Donovan, fears that Angela is alienating Ryan from his buddies. Will Ryan have to choose between his college friends and his soon-to-be wife? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 7, 2007, 5:24 am CDT

Quote from sassie1

Quote From: uksheila3

Mike was right when he called the girl "a spoiled brat," and Sanjay is clearly the one who made her that way.  Loved the comment that she wasn't willing to have the deceased wife's photos or belongings around, but she was perfectly happy to take her car.   My immediate reaction to this segment was that if I was contemplating plastic surgery and had considered Dr. Sanjay . . . I would run a mile in the opposite direction.  It's one thing to feel you're putting your doctor or dentist's children through college by paying their exhorbitant fees, but to know that your hard earned money is pampering and indulging a whiny 18-year old is totally sickening.  

In my opinion, any man 40 yrs old that hooks up with an 18yr old is getting what he deserves if she makes demands on him. That's how 18yr olds act, they are not mature enough in comparison to a 40 yr old man who has more life experience. He wants to mold her into a woman of his choosing, that is sickening. Sanjay needs to act his age, get some help for his inadequacies of not being able to handle a woman of his own age and equal. I have no problem with people that are mature adults that meet and fall in love even if there is a age difference but this is not the case in this situation, this girl hasn't had the life experience to deal with a man that many years her senior when she is barely out of high school herself. Sanjay seems to have a sick need to father her and manipulate her with expensive gifts.

April 8, 2007, 5:03 pm CDT

03/29 Cougars and Sugar Daddies

After watching the show the other night, which was a re-run for me. I cannot watch it during the day. I am married to a man 22 years older than me... I was in love with him at the time we were dating and he had two children. Thinking that he would take care of me and treat me with respect, was a total disappointment. Not only have I been diappointed with my marriage to this man, but he has put me beneath his children, exwife and mother. I was always the last man on the totum pole. When we went to visit his children in Maine, he treated me with disrespect and acted like I did not exist at all.

Knowing what I know now, I would not have done this in the first place. This young lady thinks she is in LOVE? Well, she will see maybe about 10 years down the way how imcompatable they are and will have nothing in common with him.

We have nothing in common to say the least, I dislike coming home to someone who has or did not have any interest in me or our daughter at all. I had to take care of her and myself all these years. Hopefully, this young lady will wake up in the mist of all this!! I would not marry someone half your age, you will be sorry!!

April 9, 2007, 12:48 am CDT

I think that it would be interesting to follow both of these couples in the months or even years to come to see where they end up. Honestly, I don't see them spending the rest of their lives together. And Dr. Phil is right, this young girl does NOT know a thing about life!

April 10, 2007, 8:09 pm CDT

You are mature? REALLY!!!!

My comment is on Jaqueline, the CHILD that states she is grown up.  My biggest problem with the relationship is no one will know if she truly cares for her boyfriend due to the fact that she is to busy shopping to ask her.  But seriously I question the qualifications of that Dr. if he has no more morals than buying a girlfriend, does she not realize that her relationship is basically called prostitution.  She gets paid, very well I might add, for keeping time with him and whatever else they do.  My last concern is the fact that she almost had a fit during the show, a serious mature woman defending her relationship would hopefully be confident, she was crying and I was waiting for her to throw herself down on the floor and kick until everyone believed her. 

As far as ages, that is everyone's own personal choice, I would not comment on if it is right or wrong, but Jaqueline is truly a child and I had to stop watching until she was off.

Thanks ,  Mimi 

April 14, 2007, 6:28 pm CDT

A seventeen yr old loving an older man

Quote From: penny_lady

You're welcome, I'm glad that a my post made you thankful that you aren't challenged in your thinking in your daily life.

And no, I don't believe that a 17 year old and a GROWN MAN can "fall in love"...I think it's actually very perverted.
How about Sophia Loren??? They have been happily married over 40 yrs now with 2 grown sons. And Johnny Carson married a much younger woman. There are too, too many to put in here. My 51 yr old daughter has been with her guy who is 20 yrs her junior and happy as they can be. He persued her and she doesn't have money either. They just love each other more than I have seen most people.

April 15, 2007, 8:47 am CDT

Sugar Daddy

There is a chance this woman will be happier than if she married someone her own age.  The man seemed sincere and loving.  The website where they "met" is not an encouraging factor, but for the present, they both seemed to get what they wanted.  There are many of these situations that turn out well.  On the other hand, we have Anna Nicole Smith and her problems after the death of her rich husband.  The fact that he is a doctor may be more helpful to the situation as doctors deal with all sorts of people in all sorts of situations.  On the other hand, males in their late teens and early twenties are usually immature and it becomes a case of the blind leading the blind.  Dr. Phil has expressed his opinion about early marriages and often mentions his belief that marriages in the mid-20's often work out better than earlier ones.  This couple seems to mutually fill out the needs of each other.  Hope for the best.

April 15, 2007, 8:52 am CDT

Quote From: campos4

I think that it would be interesting to follow both of these couples in the months or even years to come to see where they end up. Honestly, I don't see them spending the rest of their lives together. And Dr. Phil is right, this young girl does NOT know a thing about life!
If they don't last as a couple, then she will be cut free, possible smarter and with a chance to make a more appropriate connection when she is more mature.  The high percentage of marriage breakups these days (over 50%) shows that it is not rare, and not a great tragedy that it used to be.

April 15, 2007, 11:49 pm CDT

Quote From: rowdy5691

How about Sophia Loren??? They have been happily married over 40 yrs now with 2 grown sons. And Johnny Carson married a much younger woman. There are too, too many to put in here. My 51 yr old daughter has been with her guy who is 20 yrs her junior and happy as they can be. He persued her and she doesn't have money either. They just love each other more than I have seen most people.
I don't care. An adult who is an authority figure shouldn't have a romantic relationship with a minor.

April 19, 2007, 2:45 pm CDT

sugar daddie

Quote From: mstaylor86

yes, as people we have our opinions.  the thing that bothers me, is why people insist that something is wrong. in whose eyes is it wrong? yours?  don't worry about other people, worry about yourself.  the lives of other people should not affect you. seriously, grow up. why does it matter that someone could be 20, and their mate is 40? you are not that person, you dont know what they have been through, what they have gone through-so you cannot sit here and say its wrong, or whatever.  im pretty sure you are not living the "ideal" life. unless you are god himself, you have no right to tell someone that is happy with who they are with that they are wrong. maybe you are so unhappy, you wish to bring others down. it just makes me sick how people can jump into others business and believes that they can say something. damn, GET A LIFE
Well you know what?  THEY came onto the show and were obviously seeking something!  If they don't want to hear other people's opinions then stay home.  We don't know what they've been through?  Hum, sounds familiar.

April 21, 2007, 7:23 am CDT

Similar Story

Quote From: canepole

My grandma was 18 and grandpa 38 when they married.  He was her Professor.  That was in 1916.  Times were different then.  He was a traveling school teacher; she got her education, taught school, reared her 3 sons while running a boarding house, while grandpa traveled and taught.  They had the most loving and respectful marriage.  The focus then was to keep your family in food, clothing and shelter.  They both worked hard and succeeded.

It is a blessing that Sanjay is financially stable.  Would he be able to support himself if suddenly he lost his practice?  What if he got sued by a patient and was wiped out financially?  He needs to take time off from dating and recover from the loss of his wife.  In these days, a man must play it safe with women if he wants to keep his finances intact.

As I read your story, it was eerily like that of my DH's grandparents, even to the fact that both taught and met in Michigan when he was her professor (however, in their case, they met at 18/38 but did not marry until several years later, in the same pre-WWI time frame, and the 3 surviving children were 2 sons and a daughter). There is a similar age gap between one set of my great grandparents; in fact, she was actually Wife #2, as #1 died in childbirth).

The difficulty many have with Sanjay & Jacqueline is not the age difference per se, so much as it is (a) her glaring immaturity, even to calling her "daddy"...eeewww,  (b) Sanjay's own statements about wanting to "train her up," or words to that effect, and (c) the appearance, at least, of a mutually exploitative, rather than a mutually beneficial, relationship. I heartily concur with your last 2 sentences.

First | Prev | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | Next | Last