Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Dr. Phil Scam, Part 1

Number of Replies: 196
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 03, 2006, 01:02:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/9/06) You hear about scams all the time -- e-mails and voicemail messages claiming you’ve won valuable prizes. But Dr. Phil is outraged by what some con artists are doing to him, his family and his viewers. A group of scammers has been baiting unsuspecting viewers with a phony 800-number, then taking their money in exchange for phone therapy sessions with Dr. Phil and Robin. These bogus Dr. Phil staffers were asking for anywhere from $375 to $1,000 for a consultation. One viewer, Renee, fell prey to their tricks. She wrote to Dr. Phil for advice to save her marriage, but ended up in the middle of a major con job. Then, Robin makes a call to the scammers. It’s a conversation you don’t want to miss! Plus, find out what happens when Dr. Phil sends private investigator Harold Copus to set up a sting to ask some tough questions! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 16, 2007, 5:49 am CDT

What People will do for money, even if it wrong

The world today is so fast paced. I was wondering how long this had been going on before Dr. Phil actually found out.  I was very glad to see that Dr. Phil and Robin took this very serious and fought back within the boundaries of the law. Dr. Phil has helped many people in all of his shows. I believe very much in Dr. Phil. He has changed my life just from watching the programs. I have sent letters to Dr. Phil to ask to ask for help for my children who were adults now and had children of their own. I know if I had heard of an 800#, I would have called and even though I know you shouldn't have to pay anything until after the service is done. BUT To speak with Dr. Phil and Robin would be such an honor as well to be able to get help for the rest of the family to show them the way I raised them isn't the way for today.  Kids aren't raised like they were in my day. I'm grateful for that.  What I would do to get his help. I hope Dr. Phil keeps us informed on the everything that happen through out the court and legal side, all the way to the jail time. See them go to jail would be great. I also hope there is no plea bargain.

June 16, 2007, 7:06 pm CDT

i've seen the show

i've just seen the show. where these people were ripping off dr. phil's viewers. and it makes me angery to have these people ripping others off when there's people out there that need the help.. the reason why i said that i just seen this is i missed it the first time that it was on.

June 18, 2007, 2:15 pm CDT

GET EM DR PHIL~

Its amazing how these people thought they could get away with there scams.. I watch all of your shows, read robins book, and just adore your both..... It makes me wonder why werent they expecting to get caught... I would have noticed I was talking to robin, guess they didnt do there research before taking in calls.

Well I am just glad I saw that cause I'm a sucker for Dr. Phil~ I would be the first to get prey'd

GET EM DR PHIL! They deserve the max.

June 18, 2007, 2:28 pm CDT

06/13 Dr. Phil Scam, Part 1

Quote From: housewife52

But I think it makes us better people to be emphatic at times. It doesn't take away from all the other bad things that you mentioned. Too me it's kind of like a recipe for a cake. If you leave some of the ingredients out the cake won't taste right. We are all thrown into this world together. We are all different ingredients. We need a little empathy in this world to make the world a bit of a better place.DrPhil does address other issues. I think that by airing these SCAM programs ,it makes it clear that this can happen to anyone,no matter how educated,wealthy, ...etc.It might have helped someone out there to be more on guard concerning scams.

i agree, pepole do need to take responsiblity.. However Dr Phil is worth $1000. Atleast I think so. I also believe we are all at different points in life,  whether you know where I've been, doesnt mean we would react the same way... I have a lot of empathy towards the victims of this scam.

DR PHIL THANX FOR LETTING US KNOW..

I live only and hour north of dowtown houston, its nice to know how close to home the scams can hit... I appreciate the "heads up"

August 7, 2007, 2:57 pm CDT

Great Information.

Quote From: anon_slc

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is very committed to investigating telephone, mail and internet fraud.  The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers report, spot, stop, and avoid them.

Education is a key tool to prevent consumer injury.  The following link to the FTC website, you'll find publications with advice on avoiding scams and rip-offs, as well as tips on other consumer topics and reporting consumer fraud.

www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm 

To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261.

The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Hope it helps!

This sounds great. thank you. so far I have not heard from UPS again and I did fill out a complaint and have the ploice report. I will keep this in mind and  if I have to I will do it all over again with this information.  Thank you so much.
sorry I lost my sign in information and now e-mail isnt working. just happen to run accross it now.
thank you,
need all the help I can get.

August 7, 2007, 3:05 pm CDT

Way to go

Quote From: lornalane44

i've had experience with these nigerian scam artists while TRYING TO FIND A DOG A HOME! Believe it or not - they saw my ad, emailed & tried to convince me to cash a money order then send the extra cash to them, with the dog. Thank god I'm savvy enough to sniff out a scam because I would've been out the $$$ & who knows what would've happened to the dog! Nothing is sacred or off limits to these scammers.

The key is poor spelling, overly polite and the fact that they try to get you to cash excessively large money orders or cheques and send them back the money.

Beware!

I am so glad that you didnt fall for that.  I hope you found your dog a great home.  I love pets. I think we should find out all we can when finding homes for our pets. here this week a lady wanted to retrieve her 4 dogs and called the police I think and anyway when asked about the dogs he took them to a freezer where 3 of them were dead.  the other was almost dead. he starved them to death.  so scarry what people will do. my question however is why did she leave him and leave the pets so long.  I think it was 2 weeks they said.  I couldnt have done that with out checking on them myself to make sure they were being cared for.

First | Prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next Page | Last Page