Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Dr. Phil Scam, Part 1

Number of Replies: 196
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 03, 2006, 01:02:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/9/06) You hear about scams all the time -- e-mails and voicemail messages claiming you’ve won valuable prizes. But Dr. Phil is outraged by what some con artists are doing to him, his family and his viewers. A group of scammers has been baiting unsuspecting viewers with a phony 800-number, then taking their money in exchange for phone therapy sessions with Dr. Phil and Robin. These bogus Dr. Phil staffers were asking for anywhere from $375 to $1,000 for a consultation. One viewer, Renee, fell prey to their tricks. She wrote to Dr. Phil for advice to save her marriage, but ended up in the middle of a major con job. Then, Robin makes a call to the scammers. It’s a conversation you don’t want to miss! Plus, find out what happens when Dr. Phil sends private investigator Harold Copus to set up a sting to ask some tough questions! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 9, 2006, 9:58 am CST

I was so gullibale and stupid

My scam story started in 1998 when I was working in the downtown mall in Columbus, OH and was seeking full-time employment elsewhere. I noticed posting downtown for a job seeking someone to call dead-beat-dads. A few people who knew me knew I would like this job. I went for the interview and I noticed not only that I was the only one there but also his office was not set up yet. One desk and chair like he just moved in (I should have noticed something strange then). I gave him the benefit of the doubt because I knew that some people have been known to just start a business like this and do well later. In addition, he was leasing in a reputable building at good standing.

After working for two weeks hardly any calls and not much work to do. Then I found he was a skip tracer looking to get into the bounty hunter field. I was taken by this but stayed until the end of the month. I also notice he had a phone exactly like mine and he made notice of this; my home phone was not a business phone. He tried to get rid of me before the end so he didn’t have to pay me, but he failed because I sued and won my $500. But with a price, he began harassing my family and me with hang up calls. I told the people who he was leasing from and the police, but nobody helped me. This was a lesson to learn; he had my personal information and abused it. Ever since then, it has been hard for me to get and maintain employment because someone keeps tracking where I go telling employers lies, which makes it difficult for me on a job. I find myself having to defend my character.

I honestly think he knew somebody I knew and he/she set me up for malicious reasons just because they could. I’m scared to tell anyone else because those that I did tell had something happen to them. This person thinks they are Hitler or Al Capone. My life is still a living hell because other people got involved based on their lies. They managed to make people think that I am doing something to them or their family so one person tells another and so on; a whole town is used and manipulated by their actions. Unfortunately what used to be a private life is now a disrupted one. Only my faith and support from others keep me strong. One should not have to go through this in their lifetime.

This was long, but I am glad I shared it with you because it has been a burden. They might find out I wrote this, but I have to take this chance.

Thank you for reading,

Sign; Worri

November 9, 2006, 10:01 am CST

Potential for a scam

About 8-9 years ago, while living in Phoenix, Arizona, I walked into a Circle K.   I must clarify here, I am a smoker. So please don't lecture about that :) It was about 5:30 Am, and I was on my way to work. I am not a morning person, So, I was not fully awake.  After asking for my cigarettes, I was asked for ID. As the law states. The lady behind the counter then handed me a clipboard, and asked me to sign it. When I looked at the the paper on the clipboard, It had all the info from my drivers license on it!   I inquired why they needed all this ? I was told it was to prove I was over 17. Then the lady sat it on the front of the counter, where anyone could view it. I picked it up, and scratched my info off it and gave back my cigarettes.   See, when you get your drivers license in AZ (at that time) they had a small print question. "Please check here if you would like your DL number to be different from your social security number". It was very easy to skip this and wind up with your DL number the same as your S.S. number. I caught it because th line at the  M.V.D. was so long, I had nothing better to do then double check my paperwork and then found it.   At work, I called  the Circle K corporate headquarters and asked them what was going on, why they needed this info. I explained about the DL/S.S. concern. I asked them if they were if they understood that once people filled out this info, the store employees, And as it went up the chain of command, others, now had access to our : Full name, address, date of birth, drivers license number and in a lot of cases a S.S. number. And then to put the icing on the cake, now a great sample of our signature.   The guy on the phone answered "so.", like what's the problem? I told him my problem was: HELLO.... Phone co.... Cable Co..... Credit card co...... I would like.......   He told me, in a round about way, ........"this is a corporate decision, and there was nothing one person could do about it.   Well this one person went to the press. A  T.V. station came out that day on my lunch hour, and did a spot on the news about it. After they stopped taping,  every person on the crew took out their D.L. and checked the number to see if they needed to go back the M.V.D. to get a new number.   A few weeks later I went into another C.K. and asked if they were sill copying info from the I.D's, and they were not.   Yay. In your face Mr. Corporate man!!! one person did make a difference.     My only problem after that was that some people said that me and other people deserved it if our info was used , and our credit ruined, and our identities possibly stolen, BECAUSE WE WERE SMOKERS. Like it's okay to put someone in that kind of danger, as long as they are a nasty, smelly, smoker.   They should be thanking god I did something, or the next time they had a glass of wine at a restaurant, or went to pick up cold or allergy medicine at the drug store, they may have been put through the same thing.     Just a quick question, Are you checking your drivers license right now?  It's a scary thought isn't it?

November 9, 2006, 10:04 am CST

scams

Dear Dr. Phil:
I understand it doesn't feel so great to be scammed. In reality, if you lose a couple of bucks, so what!!!!! I think it's great that you use your show and power and influence to get the jerks that scammed you. What about the rest of us?????!!!!! Just recently my husband and I were scammed out of nearly $400.00 Canadian. In your world this is maybe $1.00 but in our world, it is making the difference between our 3 kids getting Christmas or not and right now if things don't change, it seems far more likely that they will not. I have all kinds of information on the jerks that scammed us but ABSOLUTELY NO ONE gives a crap. The scammers live in the UK and I live in Canada. Our local and even provincial authorities refuse to help us unless the scammers live in our direct community.  have tried in vain to contact the authorities in the UK, but no luck so far. As for setting up a sting, it would be so easy to catch these guys as they use Wester Union to collect the money, but, again no one is willing to help us. Well, I'm sure you've heard the old saying "money talks, bullshit walks" Welcome to the humble world of the extremely lower class.
Sincerely,
Ann Fournier

November 9, 2006, 10:13 am CST

11/09 Dr. Phil Scam, Part 1

There are so many scams out there and you see many on lists such as one commonly called CL.  Just today locally there was one asking for people to donate money to a Paypal account to help pay for treatment for a dog with cancer.  Now, it may be legit, it may not be.  When asked to give more info to assure users it was not a scam, the post was flagged and removed!  There was no information as to where the dog was being treated so those of us who may consider donating could verify and send money directly to the clinic.  Now other pet owners posting similar stuff always replied that they understood the concern and gave more info so we could ease scam worries.  People who refuse to reply or get a posting removed are more likely to be a scam!

There are even scams to certain professions only such as dog trainers (I am a trainer and behavioral consultant when not at home with the kids - work around hubby's hours).  I got a great email along the lines of:

Please come to my house in Ohio while my son and I are travelling to Norway.  We need you to stay for X time and train our Spaniel.  Our maid will let you in and see to your needs.  Please contact us at XXXXXXXX and we will set up the details.

Now, I know several trainers who got the same email.  One asked how could they scam maoney when they asked for nothing to be sent.  Well, here is how this scam works.  The people are already abroad and will wire the payment directly to your bank account if you provide them with more information.  Depending on what is asked for, they can either clean out your account or steal your identity.

There are so many scams out there based on children and pets now that pull at the heartstrings, and that's what they want!

I have to remember to record this show.  Dr Phil airs here at the same time I have to pick my oldest up from school.  I get to see the first and last 15 minutes!

November 9, 2006, 10:54 am CST

When are people going to learn?

I feel sorry for folks who have been scammed, but come on people- GET SMART! How many times does the public have to be told that if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is? I just cannot believe that ppl still fall for "Nigerian" scams, are still giving out their checking account #s, and  actually believe emails telling them they have won some overseas lottery that they never even entered! I just cannot bear to watch as everyone in the audience tsk tks and shake their heads in disgust- without seeing how these scams only work because of desperate ignorance. If people just used common sense, these scammers would out of a job.

November 9, 2006, 10:58 am CST

Quote From: nightlady

I agree with you.  It's crazy that people would send money to someone they don't even know.  I don't care how desperate you are, if it sounds to good to be true, it is!!!!  You have to be even more careful about these kinds of things when it involves a famous person.  They really don't have time to talk to people on the phone.

People need to grow up and take responsibility for their poor judgment.

I think these people need to be caught and brought to justice but people need to be more careful about falling for this kind of stuff.

Hope all is going well for you.

Barb

YOU SAID IT!!!!  Thank you for saying so well what needs to be said! No doubt you will get countless angry replies. This is a country just filled to the brim with folks who just don't want to take responsibility for their mistakes! GET WITH IT AMERICA!

Karen

November 9, 2006, 11:04 am CST

Quote From: purplepenny

I don't think you actually understand extreme desperation if you say "I don't care how desperate you are..."

People need to grow up and take responsibility? If someone is hurting very badly it can impair judgment and can cause you to look for any avenue of help. People don't know how the Dr Phil show works. And not everyone is as SOPHISTICATED as you.

I just need to defend Barb here! Being "sophisticated" means using common sense? Many of us have "hurt badly" in our lives- but it doesn't mean we have to just throw common sense and reason out the window. People need to take responsibility for their actions- period. If you think that using common sense and reason is "sophisticated",  then I guess I am quite sophisticated!

November 9, 2006, 11:20 am CST

Get a grip!!!!

Quote From: purplepenny

I don't think you actually understand extreme desperation if you say "I don't care how desperate you are..."

People need to grow up and take responsibility? If someone is hurting very badly it can impair judgment and can cause you to look for any avenue of help. People don't know how the Dr Phil show works. And not everyone is as SOPHISTICATED as you.

People have a responsibility to make themselves knowledgeable before they do stupid things no matter how desperate they are.  What has happened to common sense.  Like I said if it sounds to good to be true it is and I don't feel sorry for people that live in a fantasy world and think Dr. Phil is any more than a celebrity that provides a service on Television.  Yes, he's a psychologist and he's good at what he does but he's not available to your average person out in TV land.

Sure we'd all like to think that Dr. Phil reads our e-mails and knows us all by name but that's not reality. 

I'm sorry you took offense but lets face it desperate people do stupid things.

I have been very desperate at times in my life and I know what it is to want help, but I've looked for it in logical and proper places, not in a false reality.

November 9, 2006, 11:22 am CST

Quote From: victim_of_fun0

I just need to defend Barb here! Being "sophisticated" means using common sense? Many of us have "hurt badly" in our lives- but it doesn't mean we have to just throw common sense and reason out the window. People need to take responsibility for their actions- period. If you think that using common sense and reason is "sophisticated",  then I guess I am quite sophisticated!

Just wanted to thank you for your comments. 

November 9, 2006, 11:38 am CST

Quote From: victim_of_fun0

Maybe you should just be thankful for you common sense and not judge those who are hurting and may not have been born with the smarts you have.  Try to be happy you haven't been scammed and quit judging those who have.

And I was being sarcastic when I used the word 'sophisticated'...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last