Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Dr. Phil Scam, Part 1

Number of Replies: 196
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 03, 2006, 01:02:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/9/06) You hear about scams all the time -- e-mails and voicemail messages claiming you’ve won valuable prizes. But Dr. Phil is outraged by what some con artists are doing to him, his family and his viewers. A group of scammers has been baiting unsuspecting viewers with a phony 800-number, then taking their money in exchange for phone therapy sessions with Dr. Phil and Robin. These bogus Dr. Phil staffers were asking for anywhere from $375 to $1,000 for a consultation. One viewer, Renee, fell prey to their tricks. She wrote to Dr. Phil for advice to save her marriage, but ended up in the middle of a major con job. Then, Robin makes a call to the scammers. It’s a conversation you don’t want to miss! Plus, find out what happens when Dr. Phil sends private investigator Harold Copus to set up a sting to ask some tough questions! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 9, 2006, 11:49 am CST

11/09 Dr. Phil Scam, Part 1

Quote From: nightlady

People have a responsibility to make themselves knowledgeable before they do stupid things no matter how desperate they are.  What has happened to common sense.  Like I said if it sounds to good to be true it is and I don't feel sorry for people that live in a fantasy world and think Dr. Phil is any more than a celebrity that provides a service on Television.  Yes, he's a psychologist and he's good at what he does but he's not available to your average person out in TV land.

Sure we'd all like to think that Dr. Phil reads our e-mails and knows us all by name but that's not reality. 

I'm sorry you took offense but lets face it desperate people do stupid things.

I have been very desperate at times in my life and I know what it is to want help, but I've looked for it in logical and proper places, not in a false reality.

And not all people are born with common sense and desperation can agrivate that. I think you should have compassion for people who have been used by vultures and not give then a holier than thou lecture.

November 9, 2006, 12:13 pm CST

Dr. Phil is NOT the only lifeline!

Quote From: ambrosia01

I might have been susceptible to this scam.  In desperation and hopelessness, with nowhere else to turn, I've written Dr. Phil & Robin for help.  If I'd gotten a call that they were willing to help me, I would have been elated; and if they were charging for the help, I would have paid.  At times, I've thought that I would give Dr. Phil everything I have for his help, if that's what it took.  A child's life is priceless.

It's the desperate and hopeless people these scammers they prey on!

"Ambrosia," Honey, I read your post and I DO understand how it can seem like the kind, familiar man you see on your tv Monday through Friday can seem like he's THE only person who can help you.  I pray you'll see this and you'll seek help locally for whatever's causing you heartache. If your child's life or wellbeing is in jeopardy--for whatever reason-- there are people everywhere, both through public and private organizations, who are willing to lend a hand.  Or a heart.  Or an ear.

Talking with this forum is a fantastic start.  Oh, and I'm very glad you haven't let any scammers take advantage of you.  I believe God has a special punishment just for them.  You are very right; scammers prey mercilessly on good people who are desperate.

Take care, dear.

November 9, 2006, 12:17 pm CST

Quote From: purplepenny

Maybe you should just be thankful for you common sense and not judge those who are hurting and may not have been born with the smarts you have.  Try to be happy you haven't been scammed and quit judging those who have.

And I was being sarcastic when I used the word 'sophisticated'...

What a bunch of nonsense! These ppl aren't mentally challanged or something! People need to stop making stupid choices and not owning up to some responsibility.

November 9, 2006, 12:29 pm CST

Quote From: victim_of_fun0

What a bunch of nonsense! These ppl aren't mentally challanged or something! People need to stop making stupid choices and not owning up to some responsibility.
Blaming the victim is always poor form. Always.  I didn't say they were "mentally challenged"..I like how you take what I say and jump off a deep end with it.

There are people with varying degree's of intelligence. There are people with varying degree's of common sense and if you throw desperation into the mix you have a perfect target of a scam artist.

Show some compassion! Show some empathy! Get off your high horse!

November 9, 2006, 12:31 pm CST

Quote From: victim_of_fun0

See this person's post:

Quote From: ambrosia01

I might have been susceptible to this scam.  In desperation and hopelessness, with nowhere else to turn, I've written Dr. Phil & Robin for help.  If I'd gotten a call that they were willing to help me, I would have been elated; and if they were charging for the help, I would have paid.  At times, I've thought that I would give Dr. Phil everything I have for his help, if that's what it took.  A child's life is priceless. 

It's the desperate and hopeless people these scammers they prey on! 

Read that, and then go ahead and and tell Ambrosia that she's stupid and irresponsible.

November 9, 2006, 12:33 pm CST

todays show

These people are fools maybe not the elderly lady because she may not no better.  But come on they answer the phone and said Hello not likely and then the director is talking to people on the phone.  Everyone knows whenever you call a place they say the name of teh company and a assistant will direct your call.  Also why didn't the young lady go on the internet and check to see if Dr. Phil had a number.  Another thing why would you send money Western union to a random person.

November 9, 2006, 12:37 pm CST

Internet & Phone Scams & BiPolar Disorder

I would like to address all of the people in this Message Forum that if they are not alone at being scammed.

I have personally been responsible for arrests due to Internet Scams.

I applaud Dr. Phill for following up on what has now become the Largest Scam in World History -- Identity Theft.

Dr. Phil took the wrong approach to resolving & capturing the purps.

He has my telephone number. He may give it to his staff so that I may assist him and others.

I also hope that he could have some guests on his show who, on a daily basis deal with Bi-Polar disorder.

Sincerely,

Roger F.

NJ

November 9, 2006, 12:38 pm CST

scam part 1

Quote From: purplepenny

And not all people are born with common sense and desperation can agrivate that. I think you should have compassion for people who have been used by vultures and not give then a holier than thou lecture.
 I hope you get and prosecute them it's not fair to take advantage of people. no matter how stupid someone may think they are.

November 9, 2006, 1:09 pm CST

I know how they feel

It has been just 3 weeks since my husband and I were scammed on ebay. We had bid and won a truck and bid and did not win another.  A few days later we received an email that the deal had fallen through and as second high bidder we were able to buy the truck.  Make a long story short, I sent the money, it was picked up, and then were told by the scammers that the money was not there to resend it.  Thank goodness, we did not fall for the second scam.  To top it off, another truck we had bid on and didn't get, was offered to us as second high bidder.  Thank goodness we knew about the scam.  As a matter of fact, we received several "second chance" notices on the second truck.  This makes you feel so vunerable and imposed on.  We turned everything over to the proper authorities.  We know that we will never see our money and these scam artists will go ripping people off. 

November 9, 2006, 1:09 pm CST

agree

Quote From: nwilson07

These people are fools maybe not the elderly lady because she may not no better.  But come on they answer the phone and said Hello not likely and then the director is talking to people on the phone.  Everyone knows whenever you call a place they say the name of teh company and a assistant will direct your call.  Also why didn't the young lady go on the internet and check to see if Dr. Phil had a number.  Another thing why would you send money Western union to a random person.
I completely agree with you, nowadays nobody wants to take responsibility for their stupidity, waa wawa its always someones else fault. If you need mental help go to your doctor and speak with them or your concellor or clergy .don't expect someone on t.v. to help you. as if Dr phil would have a  direct line to him  and except money over the phone and call you. good god dont ya think he's kinda busy.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last