Message Boards

Topic : 07/02 The Dr. Phil House: House of Hatred, Part 3

Number of Replies: 197
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:17:33 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/13/06) After nine days in The Dr. Phil House, have these guests let go of their prejudices, or are they still living with hate? Dr. Phil assigns more tasks that force the group to work together and learn even more about each other. White supremacist Gary has to cook dinner for B. and her African-American friends who come to visit. Initially angry, Gary has an enlightening conversation at the dinner table. Then, Dr. Phil sends John and Staci out on assignments together. First, to the gym for a workout, and then, after Staci gets a 300-pound makeover, the two head out in public, so she can see what it’s like to walk in John’s shoes. Next, with the help of a Hollywood makeup artist, Gary is transformed into a black man, and after some cultural coaching from B., heads to two different neighborhoods as an African-American male. With intense one-on-one time with Dr. Phil and some surprise family visits, these houseguests leave with different perspectives, better attitudes and plans for a peaceful future. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2006, 3:04 pm CST

11/13 The Dr. Phil House: House of Hatred, Part 3

Quote From: nysrbob

I hope Dr. Phil re-edits this series, perhaps even with additional footage, to release it as a DVD. I feel this is one of the most significant and useful series to date. I could see such a DVD as very useful in both a high school and college setting.

Dr. Phil adjusted his psychologist hat to look more like a sociologist with great success. I was impressed with the outcome of each person involved especially Gary and B. I'd love it if in an update we find that B is the adopted grandma to Gary's family.

I agree that this series would be helpful.  The usefulness would be great in rual areas where diversity is absent.

November 13, 2006, 3:06 pm CST

Quote From: sarnold09

I am a HUGE Dr. Phil & Robin fan, however, I have been struggling for months trying to find the shows ringtone for my cell phone.  I have searched all of Cher's cd's and can not find the song I need.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME??

I will check back here frequently to check replies.  Until then back to searching the net.  LOL

Shine" by Meredith Brooks < found that on a message board on the net...... not sure it's correct or not.....

November 13, 2006, 3:09 pm CST

Not the same

Quote From: nypope

Dr Phil

Why did you not have the black lady go as a white lady? Why the white man to a black area . why one way not both.

We have problems on both sides...........................

this was so one sided....................

True, there are problems on both sides.  Really, there are problems with prejudice in EVERY race; it's not just a black and white thing.  Heck, some blacks are prejudiced against other blacks if they are from another country and the same with other races.

But, having B transform just wouldn't be the same.  I'm almost positive she would have no problems on the "white" side of town.  (She could go in a store and would be able to find flesh colored pantyhose and bandaids with no problem).  She MAY have had a problem in a black neighborhood with females IF Dr. Phil had a black man accompany her as a "white" woman.  She'd probably get some rude remarks.  As far as her asking directions or information or something as a "white" woman - she most likely have no problem at all.

Dr. Phil was smart not to do that with B because it would have been pointless.  She'd probably have her feelings of "white privilege" validated.

It's just not the same...unfortunately.

November 13, 2006, 3:14 pm CST

To Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, I want you to know that although I do like your  shows and watch you all the time when possible, there has not been a show that has really made me proud of as the show " House of Hatred". I like the changes you have made on these peoples lives.

And to each of you persons that participated on it. Good for you!! Now you have become beautiful people.

I am proud and happy to see these kind of changes in peoples lives.

Sorry, can't find the exact words to express what a beautifull job has Dr. Phil done on this show.

Alma

November 13, 2006, 3:15 pm CST

Interesting Show........

Well, I think it was a very successful attempt to show people with great prejudices/ preconceived notions/ whatever--get on a path to greater acceptance of what they "hate" (fear), and make strides toward having a more open mind and heart.

Unfortunately, for every one of the 6 on the show, there are thousands more out there, just like them, with the same hostile prejudices. Dr Phil cant fix everyone, but he can keep trying to make a difference--one small step at a time.......

If nothing else, I feel a small smug pride in the fact that I dont behave in such a fashion toward anyone---I have a rather open mind, and can usually see both sides of the coin. If only everyone were born that way------------thanks Mom & Dad!  ;-)

November 13, 2006, 3:18 pm CST

And by the way--

Wont it be nice if we see an update at some point, with John having lost a lot of weight and receiving counselling to help his outlook/attitude (I think he needs it), and making something of his life!??!  I hope this happens..

November 13, 2006, 3:31 pm CST

As an Native American I can say......

Quote From: kaomar

I  want to point out something to Gary. He told B to go back to Africa. To start with African black people did not come to America by choice they were kidnapped from their country and brought here. To all of the races that were born here "this is their country" And unless he is an American Indian, we can say the same to him. Why doesn't he go back to the country his ancestors came from. I am a white female and I like all races. Please remember there is good and bad people in every race.

I would just like to say that you have a very valid point.  I am Native American and have had it up to the wazoo with other races complaining about how their ancestors were treated.

My ancestors were here minding their own business and surviving until the ships landed with the rejects of other countries.  My ancestors even fed them (Jamestown, Virginia) giving them the first Thanksgiving.  Look at what they did to them and all their kind.  We have immortalized killers that took great pride in the fact that they killed women, children and elderly Native Americans so that they could take the Native Americans land and homes.  Bitter, yes, I am, but Whats with all the complaining of the races on how they were treated hundreds of years ago got to do with how they treat folks now.  People get a life and learn to love your neighbors as you would have them love you.  Happy Thanksgiving.  Bear

November 13, 2006, 3:39 pm CST

Re: Gary

I was so happy that Gary came around. He broke my heart, to see him break down..for I really felt his pain...that is so awful what parents do to children. I will pray for him to stay strong. thank you dr. phil for doing that portion of your show....god bless...angie

November 13, 2006, 3:49 pm CST

I watched today's show and was so happy to see that Gary is making a change for the better!  He seems to genuinly want to change.  I was on the verge of tears watching how sincere he was when he saw his wife and kids.  I think that really made him realize what he's doing all this work for.  His children will benefit  tremedously from his efforts! 

I think all of the house guests made really good progress....I think John is going to need constant pushing and motivating but hopefully he will prevail! 

I wish all of the house guests tons of luck and commend them for putting themsleves out there!  I know lots people want to be angry with them because of theirs views, but I think it takes more courage to confront these types of things and make yourself vulnerable.  GOOD LUCK to all of you.

November 13, 2006, 3:55 pm CST

I only saw this one episode

because I didn't realize how powerful this is. To see these people be real with each other and make these attitude changes gives me hope for humanity.

Dr. Phil is counselling at such a high level of effectiveness in this episode. I hope he takes plenty of time for himself. This is such terrifically important work he's doing, helping us all build a better world.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last