Message Boards

Topic : 07/02 The Dr. Phil House: House of Hatred, Part 3

Number of Replies: 197
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:17:33 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/13/06) After nine days in The Dr. Phil House, have these guests let go of their prejudices, or are they still living with hate? Dr. Phil assigns more tasks that force the group to work together and learn even more about each other. White supremacist Gary has to cook dinner for B. and her African-American friends who come to visit. Initially angry, Gary has an enlightening conversation at the dinner table. Then, Dr. Phil sends John and Staci out on assignments together. First, to the gym for a workout, and then, after Staci gets a 300-pound makeover, the two head out in public, so she can see what it’s like to walk in John’s shoes. Next, with the help of a Hollywood makeup artist, Gary is transformed into a black man, and after some cultural coaching from B., heads to two different neighborhoods as an African-American male. With intense one-on-one time with Dr. Phil and some surprise family visits, these houseguests leave with different perspectives, better attitudes and plans for a peaceful future. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2006, 3:58 pm CST

11/13 The Dr. Phil House: House of Hatred, Part 3

Quote From: kipsmiller

True, there are problems on both sides.  Really, there are problems with prejudice in EVERY race; it's not just a black and white thing.  Heck, some blacks are prejudiced against other blacks if they are from another country and the same with other races.

But, having B transform just wouldn't be the same.  I'm almost positive she would have no problems on the "white" side of town.  (She could go in a store and would be able to find flesh colored pantyhose and bandaids with no problem).  She MAY have had a problem in a black neighborhood with females IF Dr. Phil had a black man accompany her as a "white" woman.  She'd probably get some rude remarks.  As far as her asking directions or information or something as a "white" woman - she most likely have no problem at all.

Dr. Phil was smart not to do that with B because it would have been pointless.  She'd probably have her feelings of "white privilege" validated.

It's just not the same...unfortunately.

I don't know if I would have thought of that - EXCELLENT POINT. I know a very successful educated black man who has been pulled over by the police several times for no apparent reason than driving an expensive BMW while black. If he were to be made up white, he would probably just learn that white people are not pulled over simply for driving an expensive car.

November 13, 2006, 4:01 pm CST

Quote From: julie1418

I don't know if I would have thought of that - EXCELLENT POINT. I know a very successful educated black man who has been pulled over by the police several times for no apparent reason than driving an expensive BMW while black. If he were to be made up white, he would probably just learn that white people are not pulled over simply for driving an expensive car.
That is a good point. But I must admit, I am disappointed that there seemed to be little focus on those comments made by her about white people.

Maybe it turns out she just really didn't mean them after all?...I dunno.

November 13, 2006, 4:03 pm CST

dr phil i was so happy to see the 6 guests come togather as a well oiled team in the end thanks

November 13, 2006, 4:09 pm CST

Great results!!

I just wanted to post that I thought that this was one of the best shows ever!!  I love the results that came out of it.  Mostly with B. and Gary.  That was a great change over for them.  Some people have posted that they are not sure if B. will change, but I think she will.  I live in central Canada and there is not a whole lot of that around here at all.  But sometimes I here people talk about black people in a racist way and it makes me sick!  The worst part about it is that these people that talk like that once in awhile don't even know a black person, either do I.  I hate racism.  If there is one thing in this world that is okay to hate, it is racism!! 
Way to go Dr. Phil, I hope you do more "House of hatred" shows.  If it helped B. and Gary it can help other people too!!

November 13, 2006, 4:11 pm CST

I love Dr. Phil, but I was really dissapointed with this show.  I was enjoying the series until this last episode.  It seems that only half the racist issues were addressed. 

B. & Gary - It seemed pointless to me to put Gary in the "ghetto" dressed as a black man.  Of course he would be accepted, what was the point?  If they sent him as a white man, then there would have been a different story.  And why wasn't B. dressed up and sent to a white neighborhood to address her issues.  She was just as racist as Gary.  Only Gary needed to see her point of view? 

With John & Stacy - Dr. Phil made Stacy dress up as an overweight person, yet didn't force John to do anything to confront his "issues".  He made him clean the house.  I don't see how that really helped.  John was the wrong person to include in this house.  Unfortunately, all he did was support the theory that fat people are lazy.  He didn't "grow" one bit and didnt deserve to be on the show.        

November 13, 2006, 4:14 pm CST

Racism

I saw the show today about turning a white man black.  The show depicted that he was treated with respect when he was in a black neighborhood and not so when he was in a white neighborhood.  You did not make the situations identical or comparable.  When he was in a black neighborhood he was with a black friend and greeted into a social setting.  When he was put into the other situation he was a questionable person on a street corner asking random questions to passing people.  I would, as would most persons, black, white or any ethinicty would avoid such a person for fear that the person would become agressive. 

IF you would have placed this individual in a setting as a customer in a cafe, restaurant or bookstore and the person would have asked other customers or wait staff about anything the response would have been much different.

I thought that Dr Phil would be smarter than this.

November 13, 2006, 4:15 pm CST

Quote From: purplepenny

That is a good point. But I must admit, I am disappointed that there seemed to be little focus on those comments made by her about white people.

I can understand that. But no matter who is "more" prejudiced, the sad reality is it is till easier to be a white person in America than a black person. In Florida, I have worked with people who still remember not being able to walk through the front door of a restaurant. I think some attitudes are born of anger, frustration, and fear.

November 13, 2006, 4:28 pm CST

Garys questions on the street corner

Quote From: rmarshall

I have just finished watching your Dr. Phil house of hatred.  I  understand what you are trying to do, but when you sent Gary out as a black man that was not true to form.   I am sorry but if any person was standing on the street corner asking me what the time was or for directions I personally would give a response.  If someone was standing on the street corner asking me or saying "that smells good" or "Hey, where did you get that" I'm sorry but I don't think that I would give a response.  I was raised as a Army brat so I was raised not to be worried about if a person was white, black, red or green.  I personally do not care if people are gay, fat, skinny or anything else.  Who cares.  If the person is kind, funny, and willing to treat others with respect then that is all that matters. 

I agree with Marshall's take on these odd questions.Anyone standing on the corner asking questions like these, would probably get ignored.People dont want to be drawn into kooky conversations with strangers.Maybe if he asked normal questions like directions or time, he would have gotten answers.And after all, the lady introduced him to her friends so the friends were more receptive to him.A better test would be if he needed help and asked for it from a white male, and then if he were snubbed, then draw some conclusions.Also, I wonder the most about Stacie and John as well.They seemed very cardboardish to me.I think that neither will make any lasting change,but the others had a lot more depth to them, so they probably will be better people.I think these house experiments are interesting.  

November 13, 2006, 4:37 pm CST

Generalizations

Quote From: purplepenny

I could be wrong, but I think that B's problem was based on her experiences with a few white people.  Because of that, she put them all in the same box by generalizing.  It wouldn't be the same to change her, the same way it wouldn't be the same to make John thin or the other lady (I forget her name) to go to gay establishments.  It would just add fuel to the existing fire.

B needed to be with Gary one-on-one.  Sleeping in the same room with him, eating food that he prepared, hearing how he grew up AND most importantly, seeing him change and then seeing his family.  Now, she can see that white people have tough times growing up which stay with them to adulthood just like everyone else; and that he has a family and no doubt cares about his little girls just like any father would.  Now, she can see that a white person who hated her, said such awful things to her and had negatives feelings towards her and black people can change.  And now, he's not (hopefully) like the white folks who caused her bitterness - she can no longer put him in the same box as them and therefore, can stop generalizing all white people.

That's how I think her situation was different and that was the best way for her to grow instead of transforming her into a white lady.

November 13, 2006, 4:39 pm CST

what would this picture be with out all the beautiful colors?

this world we live in is the same,all the different colors and different shapes are in-fact what make it so beautiful, i wouldn't want to live in a world where every thing were the same, is it possible maybe god thought the same thing when he created every one here? i see the world as one beautiful place with lots of differnt people every shape and size and color,i have no problems living with that,[do you?]

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last