Message Boards

Topic : 03/07 When Too Much is ... Too Much

Number of Replies: 422
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:20:25 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/15/06) Imagine discovering that your next-door neighbor owns over 200 cats. Ray and Dennis never thought their neighbor, Kristy, would let her pet collection get that big. Once friends, the three are now in a nasty and vindictive war because of the felines. Ray and Dennis say Kristy's property is one big, disgusting litter box, and they want Kristy to get rid of her cats. Kristy says she'll never part with her "cat sanctuary." Are Ray and Dennis playing dirty in order to run Kristy out of town? When is it too much, and where do you draw the line in the litter box? Then, Mike says his wife, Lori, keeps everything from used envelopes to empty food jars and medicine bottles, because she "might need it" in the future. He is ready to take desperate measures to put a stop to this. Lori says the thought of throwing her stuff out is her worst nightmare. Is Mike guilty of making nasty bribes to get his wife to change? What's really behind Lori's habit for hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 11, 2006, 9:08 pm CST

Dogs come when called, Cats, well......

Personally I am passionate about the plight of stray and abandoned animals, and yes I get angry because the prevention is quite simple.

Spay and Neuter your pets- many States and provinces DO have programs for that purpose, check with your local animal hospital or SPCA, they would know, and if you cannot afford this basic surgery, than DON'T get an animal.

CHILDREN cannot be counted on to CARE for the animal, be a PARENT when your child asks for a puppy or kitten, if YOU DO NOT want to care for the animal, don't assume your child will, YOU will be the one held responsible for neglect and abuse of it, so if you can't be bothered be a PARENT and say "NO"

Farmers ( I live in farm country ) usually do have colonies of cats in their barns, cats tend to be unobtrusive to the livestock, and play their part by keeping the incidences of rats and mice out of the grain and feed, BUT many farmers have had to resort to CULLING out the colonies because of irresponsible pet owners who drop BOXES of unwanted kitties at their barn door.

Cats SHOULD be kept indoors, it helps them live longer healthier lives, and keeps them out of your neighbor's garden and it is a relief to the local bird and rodent population to know that kitty is behind the glass and can't hurt them.

There is no way, just from looking at the conditions on the previews, that this woman is registered or licensed anywhere as a sanctuary, no Humane Society would even consider it, the worst thing is most if not ALL of those animals will have to be destroyed, because the local shelter may not have the room, or they are infested with worms and other wonderful little parasites, not to mention the various bacterial and viral diseases that can run through any colony.

Unlike dogs, any cat owner will tell you, cats can be retrained and TAUGHT, as long as THEY feel the NEED, an adult cat used to being on its own with limited human contact can be converted SOMETIMES, for the most part Adult cats that have gone feral (wild) are not suitable candidates for a permanent home ( kittens will imprint good or bad feelings about humans within the first six to eight weeks of their lives ).

I rescued three feral kittens last year, the first one we found in an intersection of a town, we thought a rat was about to get run over, but on closer inspection, it was a kitten the vet thought she was only about four weeks old, she and her siblings were left in a ditch on the side of the road.

The other two are brothers born to a feral mother in a friend's back yard, we trapped them at about eight weeks old, all three live with me two kids, a husband and two dogs and a very put out seven year old cat , all of the pets are spayed or neutered, all of them are up to date for check ups and shots.  But those kittens took work, the littlest is stunted in her growth, she is a little over a year and hasn't grown since she was six months, she was never properly weaned from her mother, she was too little, the boys had to be taught to use the litter boxes, and that kibble is actually edible, food dosen't have to squirm, but I am neither a sanctuary or shelter.

But I beg ANYONE considering killing your neighbor's pets, PLEASE call your local humane society and have them look into the situation, these animals are not at fault, and they do not do what they do to purposly annoy you, I get where you're coming from, what this woman is doing isn't humane or constructive, but she is obviously oblivious and has a problem ( other than the cats) that DESPERATLY needs to be addressed.

November 12, 2006, 5:59 am CST

Too many cats

I applaud Kristy's wish to provide a cat sanctuary but even the shelters do not maintain that many cats -- and they have multiple staff members. Most municipalities have limits on how many animals an individual may keep. I would suggest that the inflamed neighbors notify the proper authorities of the situation rather than resorting to cruel measures.

November 12, 2006, 7:08 am CST

Be Kind To Your Animals and Spay and Neuter Them

How can you say that you love your animals when you let them breed and run amock throught the neighborhood?? Cats need lots of room for their own territory.And, you have the nerve to keep them all in one spot??Why, haven't you offered one to a good home, where you could be an adviser??Think of the animals first, not yourself.It is one thing to want a pet but not hoard and then let them breed and over-populate.Thats cruelity and just plain stupid on your part as a pet owner.I am very surprised that the Humane Society has not stepped in and made a statement of this as it is concided a public nuisance and a heath problem also to your nieghbors.Do, the right thing and give your cats a break from each other.Give them a good home, let some child or elder have some company for the future.You can afford to be generous.If, i had my shelter open i would take a few of your kitties and give them a good home.

Sincerely,

Ataloa Ruth Harris-Burman

November 12, 2006, 7:19 am CST

200 cats --198 to many

I love animals.

Have 2 cats and feed 2 wild cats every day so they won't starve .

I have 8 dogs , 1 house dog - 7 hunting dogs  , in the kennels,

I live in the country.

I have 4 horses.

We people have to know our limit ....you can not  love all those cats every day , there is not enough time .

You have a responsibility to your neighbors and neighborhood ....

Grow up ---do what is right ....

November 12, 2006, 8:35 am CST

Hoarding

I have a friend that ended up paying my cleaning service 4000.00 to clean up a piece of property that she had to get her stuff off of. We never did get the last of it. Granted there were some good things, but mostly it was just plain junk. In the process of this clean up, my friend had us put it in 2 or 9 storage units that are filled to the brim! She also lives in a 2 bdrm trailer that she was using for storage and I went in and at least made a trail for her to get thru. That was a few more trip to the storage units. She does not know that I went to the dump with some of the stuff she wanted me to put in the storage. Plastic bottles, plastic bags and containers and some other stuff that just was not good. Her daughter said she has tried to get her to get rid of this stuff to no avail. I tried, and she even admitted that she knew it was a problem. This woman is 58 years old and this has been going on for the 30 years I have known her. She works 3 to 4 jobs just to pay for her storage units and her space rent as she owns her 2 bdrm mobile. She is always getting notices that she has to clean up her yard. Sometimes she justs sleeps at people's houses as the conditions in her house get so bad she can't live in it, such as mice droppings that she can't stand but are all over her house and in things around her living space. I tried to get her to understand that it is not going to be fair to her daughter when she has to clean up this mess after my friend dies. Her daughter said she is just going to take it all to the dump!

November 12, 2006, 11:41 am CST

Learn About Animal Hoarding

There is a really good site to learn about Animal Hoarding, it's called the Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium.  They have guides on how to help people intervene with animal hoarders too:

http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/index.html

Donna

childrenofhoarders.com/forum

November 12, 2006, 1:52 pm CST

To many cats

A woman in our neighborhood had 40 + cats. She had some inside and a cat motel built in her yard. The problem was they roamed all over. We would have 4 or 5 at a time in our fenced in yard doing their business in my flower bed's and killing the birds that ate at our feeders. My lab found their feces a treat and would look for it every time we let her out. She got very sick. Vomiting and bleeding from her bowels. The vet  found a parisite that cats carry. It cost me over $500. for treatments. I had to take her out on a leash in her own fenced in yard to keep her out of this mess. Her immune system became depressed and we had to have her put down. We were told by animal control to set out a trap which we did and caught several cats which we took to a shelter. The neighbor was outraged that we trapped cats and made threats to us and our family. I say if you want pets, fine, but don't expect others to have to put up with them. We have taken in a stray kitten but she is a house cat.

November 12, 2006, 2:01 pm CST

BRAVO

Quote From: swissmickey

I am an animal lover, but....when is enough, enough?  I believe that spaying and neutering your animals is not only necessary but a HEALTH issue for them and the neighborhood.  Do you not have any respect for yourself or your neighbors??  Do you think only the cats stink up your house and yard and do not bother anybody else?  If thats it you need to be checked yourself for mental problems because this is an absolute sickness.

I just want to say to "Ceildh1".......BRAVO on your post. I totally agree with your thoughts.

November 12, 2006, 2:29 pm CST

Love Cats

I Love Cat and have two but would not let them breed as this women has let her cats.  We have many animals in this world with out homes we do not need a women to let her cats keep having kittens.  One day she will not be there to care for them and then who will take care of all the cats.

November 12, 2006, 2:31 pm CST

Too Much

I am a BIG cat lover, I have 7 cats, 2 dogs, fish, birds, chickens. I take "responsibilitie" with all my animals. I nueter them, give them shots, and they get fed better than my husband does. My cats DO come by their names and they are all loved very much.

I live in the country and therefore have plenty of space for these animals. Cats are very curious animals and get into many things; just like a toddler. My cats are my kids; as our children are all grown and out on their own. I will never suffer from the "empty nest" syndrome, as I will always have cats.

Years ago, when we had an 80acre farm, it was called Marilyns' Managerie, because alot of the local vets knew I would and could take care of "unwanted" animals. I had gotten cows, pigs, donkeys, goats, geese, even a beautiful Morgan stallion, just because people didn't "want" them nor had the time or money to take care of them and yes alot of "drop offs" at our mailbox.

We now have only 6 acres with the house, but still enough room for my pets. I no longer get the "big" animals, because my space is so limited.

This women of 200 cats needs to realize she is NOT helping the animals, but fulfilling something that is missing in her life. She should get help from a local/county animal agency that will help place these cats in homes.

The neighbors should NOT be killing these cats............how would they like to die a slow miserable death. This is just inhumane of them !!

I feel for this women and also the cats. She should work something out with her neighbors or better yet, move to the counrty where she will be away from other properties; therefore not annoying anyone.

I look forward to this show and the out come; as I too am considered "cat lady" of the neighborhood :) and proud of it.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last