Message Boards

Topic : Homosexuality

Number of Replies: 449
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:18:07 pm
Author : dataimport
Have you come out of the closet to find love and support? Or are those close to you having a difficult time accepting your lifestyle?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2008, 12:57 am CST

Don't do anything you'll later regret...

Quote From: vincennte

Hey everyone. Just before we get started here I guess I'm posting not really for advice but for opinions.
I'm Reeve, 15 years old and currently dating someone of the same sex, and I admit I have never been this happy ever in my life. Obviously though I have a problem most gays go through and especially at this age in my life, finding myself so early at that too. I wonder if it's wrong to be hiding this away from my parents and his but I really don't have a choice. It'd be inevitable we'd be separated if they found out. However I do suppose I know the answer to my own question after all my mother and father brought me into this world and I shouldnt lie to them but I do love him so, I swear I'd give the world just to see his wonderful smile.

I know most of you here are probably way older than me and probably questioning whether this is who I really am or if I'm just going through a 'phase'. I guess that's something I'm also something I'm scared of, if one day i just stop loving him. Anyway I hope you guys have something insightful to tell me, all opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your day everyone :)

As the mom of a young man who *thinks* he's gay, I must say that at your age, it might be just a phase...many young men about your age go through a phase where they don't know which direction to go...it could be the raging hormones that are causing the confusion...the fact that you are questioning means that you are not entirely sure...is it just that you need male attachment??  (not the sexual kind)...

I would advise that you keep it to yourself for awhile...perhaps seek counseling to talk it out and  figure it out in your own mind...

I am of the mind that being gay is a choice...not so much biology...and that will probably ruffle some feathers here...

I hope that you weren't expecting people to say what you wanted to hear...that's not me...if you want honesty, that's what you'll get from me...I think that you should give it more time...and definitely DON'T get into a physical relationship until you figure some things out...(either gay or straight)...

November 19, 2008, 6:26 pm CST

Wrong!

Quote From: mustbecrazy

As the mom of a young man who *thinks* he's gay, I must say that at your age, it might be just a phase...many young men about your age go through a phase where they don't know which direction to go...it could be the raging hormones that are causing the confusion...the fact that you are questioning means that you are not entirely sure...is it just that you need male attachment??  (not the sexual kind)...

I would advise that you keep it to yourself for awhile...perhaps seek counseling to talk it out and  figure it out in your own mind...

I am of the mind that being gay is a choice...not so much biology...and that will probably ruffle some feathers here...

I hope that you weren't expecting people to say what you wanted to hear...that's not me...if you want honesty, that's what you'll get from me...I think that you should give it more time...and definitely DON'T get into a physical relationship until you figure some things out...(either gay or straight)...

You spoke of honesty in your little rant, so I will be honest with you.  First and foremost, I am not gay.  I am as heterosexual as they come.  I am, however, a supporter of gay rights and civil liberties.

You said that being homosexual is a choise...Really?  So, if that be the case, that means that you are straight by choice?  One's desire for sexual stimulation and attraction is not a choice of a human being.  It's a natural occurence and everyone's desires and feelings are different. 

You see, I didn't CHOOSE to be straight...I just am.  I didn't wake up one day at a crossroads and make the conscious choice to either be straight or gay.  So, by what you are implying, people choose to be gay.  So, out of fairness and common sence, that would mean that one would choose to be straight.  Tell me, WHEN exactly did you make the choice..."I'm straight" ?  Are you attracted to men?  Or, do you CHOOSE to be attracted to them?  Personally, I'm attracted to women.  Not because I CHOOSE to be, but because I just am. 

November 19, 2008, 6:38 pm CST

Homosexuality

Quote From: alexandra22

Read your Bible. It wasn't that person just saying it, it is simply the truth.

Being gay is a choice. I wish some would come to that realization.

Being gay is a choice?  Does that mean being straight is a choice?  That idea is wrong in every since of the word.  You see, I'm attracted to women.  Not because I choose to be attracted to them, but because I just am.  What's natural for me may not be natural for others.

And PLEASE...for the love of God...Dont bring the Bible into this.  Yes, we all know that homosexuality is a sin.  You should RE-READ your Bible.  You will find that NO MAN is free from sin and no sin is greater than the other.  Sin is sin to God, whether is be murder or the theft of a dollar.  They are the same in God's eyes.  So, since NO MAN lives sin free, that makes you a sinner as well.  That makes you un-qualified to judge how others live, especially when it effects you in absolutely no way.  What was it Jesus said?  "He who is without sin, cast the first stone."

So, the only REALIZATION there is here is your own personal one.  If you dont like homosexuals or there ways, THEN DONT BE GAY.  How other people live is NO ONE's business but their own.  So, all of you Bible-thumping hypocrits should look at your own lives before you start judging the lives of others.  This is a FREE country.  If you dont like how others live because it violates something mentioned in the Bible...heres a suggestion.  Get over it.  The day that you live sin free will be the day when it's okay for you to tell others what they are doing wrong.  By the way, judging is a sin as well, but it didn't stop you from doing it.

November 20, 2008, 9:58 pm CST

coming out.

I guess you could be like me. I wouldn't advise it for anyone. You could live your life trying to please your family. Deny your attraction to the sex you are attracted to and still try to have relationships with the opposite sex. Hummm ever wonder why those don't work out or you just want them to get it over with when you are having sex or even if you ever will have sex with them. Keep trying over and over until you just cant do it anymore. Like why don't you beat your head against a brick wall, it might get some sence into you quicker and easier and you'll do less damage to other people along the way. think of all the people you hurt trying to love them when you really can't. Then you bring them into your family just so your family can see another relationship go bust for you.

So what should you do. Don't wast your life. Be true to yourself. It may take your family a while for them to come around. some will acept it more easily right off some may not. But only you have to live in your skin on a daily basis. Being Gay does not mean you cant have a family and love your family. It's taken my Mom 10 years to talk to me because I am a Lesbian. She has chosen to waste that time with her only living child and has lost that time with her grandson. Now she has finally come to tearms and has decided that I am really no different than I was before, I am still a good daughter and a good mom. I just women not men. Men make up the majority of my best friends. But when it comes to a relationship, I want one with a woman. I wish I would of taken the chance and accepted my feelings at a much younger age. I am 50 now, I came out at 37. I have 2 boys 25 and almost 14. They love their Lesbian Mom.

Don't waste you one life trying to please other people about your sexuality.

November 21, 2008, 7:00 am CST

Tabula Rosa

Persons are not born gay.  The phrase above means "blank slate".  If I hadn't been sexually molested by a friend from elememtary-middle school I would have tried to date girls.  Sexual relationships with the same sex is a learned behavior.   Sometimes it can be in error as in my case due to having sex with another boy I thought I was gay for 12 years until I did an assignment on my first Catholic retreat after college.  Note:

I converted from Muslim to Catholicity right before graduating from college.  The retreat assignment was "Name a mortal sin you did to your buddy".  My buddy was really helpful and he corrected my errors in perception.   Just because two men go out to eat doesn't turn it into a date: could be brothers, business meeting (John McCain/Barrack O'bama), friends having a good time, etc.  I wonder how athletes view this situation like football players.  I believe all Christians need to unite say: "Enough, we are not going to let the minority tell the majority what to do".  Christians = Catholics, Episopileans, Mormons, Baptists....

Personally I'd go back reverse Roe vs Wade, put prayer back in the schools and if anyone complains my reply would be: "You have the option to leave this country."   Assaults, invasion of church services and other violent conduct is carrying a protest too far like a child wanting aa toy at a store.  

November 21, 2008, 8:35 am CST

the will to my grace

Im in cosmetology school and there are alot of gay men in this industry.  I've since became best friends with one gay man i'll refer to as the will to my grace.  I truely believe he deserves to be as happy as I am.  I am a married woman (to a man) and he has told me he's jealous of me and my husbands relationship.  I feel like everyone deserves to be happy in love whether its with a man or a woman.

As a mother of a 3 yr. old my only concern is it not be discussed in school.  Allow us as parents to be the first and only ones to decide how and when it is appropriate to discuss these issues.  I will love my son unconditionally no matter what he chooses when the time is right.  I just don't want outside people influencing him either way. 

November 21, 2008, 12:50 pm CST

Parent

I am 31 years of age with a 10 year old son, my partner and I have been together for 7 years. We have discussed this issue many of times with friends. It is not that we are asking for the "TITLE MARRIAGE" we are asking for the same rights as married couples. There are a lot of reasons behind why we feel we should have the rights as married couples. If something were to happen to me, my partner does not have right to anything, medical, financial or our son. There is no reason why two people who have been together for as long as we have should be able to have a say in each others lives. We are not asking to get married in a church, which we do go to church, we are simply asking that the state (KY) give us the same rights as any other couple in the state has. Rather it be through civil law or marriage law. I would love nothing more than to be able to tell my partner that she will be fine if something happens to me and that she can make all the decisions if something were to happen but I can not do that, there is a lot more involved than that, nothing like  just simply asking a heterosexual couple questions. We have been together as long or longer than some of our heterosexual married couples, we have a great life together. We are great parents if not better parents than some heterosexuals, we have to teach our son to stand up for what he believes, he will tell you that he believes that his TWO MOMS should be able to be married, but we are his mom's no matter what. He his a very strong young man and would not ask for anything else.

All I am asking or trying to say it that my partner of 7 years can be my WIFE and have the SAME rights as any other married couple in this FREE UNITED STATES of AMERICA..

November 21, 2008, 12:53 pm CST

I'm here for you:)

Quote From: toshinshi

(* The Dr. Phil site needs more variety. This is the best place I could find to post my problem.*)
    I almost envy you gay guys. I know its hard, but once you come out  you can go about finding 'someone'.
I'm transsexual. I like men; but instead of being happy as a normal straight girl my mind is fixed on becomeing a man. I cannot see myself loving a man as a woman. I know you all think I'm crazy for wanting the life of a gay man over a straight girl, and I agree. I've felt this way for a long time now and I'm pretty young, so I think this is built-in. Its problematic, I'm something of am extream sexest to women because of it and certain members of my family (grandpa) like to call me a dyke. T_T;
 I admit, I do try my hardest to look male; even to the point of degrading my health. But its no good. Looking like a man doent mean anything unless your anatomically one.
I need a little help; what should I do? Seek counciling? Persue it? Or should I just give up and put on a dress? I doubt I could ever afford the surgery (around $50,000 at least), and the result isnt exactlly 'good looking'. Most of all what and how should I tell my folks? My big sis knows and I think my mom does, but what about everyone else? I'm very confused...

I can tell that this is weighing very heavily on your heart.  If one of my friends were going through this struggle, here's what I'd tell her . . . Whether we like to admit it or not, we are created beings.  I believe that God created us.  From what I read in the Bible, and from experiences in my own life, I (by faith) believe that God doesn't make mistakes because He is perfect.  He made you a lady, and if you're upset about that, you may be upset with God.  And I know that He loves you, provides for you, and sustains your health.  I'd like to encourage you that the God of the whole universe delights in your using your body the way he made it.  Sex is something God made for a man and a woman; of course, its purpose is for procreation, but God made it pleasureable as well:) 

I think you should tell your family about your struggle - accountability isn't neccessarily a bad thing.  You're not alone.  You can't exactly "trust" the way you feel; our bodies and minds are not perfect.  Read Proverbs 3:5-6 and Psalm 37: you'll find great comfort knowing that God wants us to trust Him:)  And then, make a decision!  It's easier to have a purpose and goal in mind when you're dealing with something that affects your thoughts and actions. 

November 21, 2008, 12:57 pm CST

Homosexuality

Quote From: fredsyn

Persons are not born gay.  The phrase above means "blank slate".  If I hadn't been sexually molested by a friend from elememtary-middle school I would have tried to date girls.  Sexual relationships with the same sex is a learned behavior.   Sometimes it can be in error as in my case due to having sex with another boy I thought I was gay for 12 years until I did an assignment on my first Catholic retreat after college.  Note:

I converted from Muslim to Catholicity right before graduating from college.  The retreat assignment was "Name a mortal sin you did to your buddy".  My buddy was really helpful and he corrected my errors in perception.   Just because two men go out to eat doesn't turn it into a date: could be brothers, business meeting (John McCain/Barrack O'bama), friends having a good time, etc.  I wonder how athletes view this situation like football players.  I believe all Christians need to unite say: "Enough, we are not going to let the minority tell the majority what to do".  Christians = Catholics, Episopileans, Mormons, Baptists....

Personally I'd go back reverse Roe vs Wade, put prayer back in the schools and if anyone complains my reply would be: "You have the option to leave this country."   Assaults, invasion of church services and other violent conduct is carrying a protest too far like a child wanting aa toy at a store.  

You need to do some research on the reverse of Roe vs Wade. That gave women the RIGHT to have a CHOICE and all women should have the CHOICE to do what they want to there body. If they reverse Roe vs. Wade it will be like the 70's where women would go in dark ally ways or black market doctors to have abortions done. Women hurt there bodies in more ways than what an abortion does... RE THINK what you are saying before you say things like this. NO woman should have to carry a baby if she was raped, molested (by family ) or anyone, she should have the right to CHOOSE what she wants. I do believe that women should not use it as a form of birth control but should still have the RIGHT to do what they want with there body.

Prayer should not be in the schools not every child is tough the same religion and should not be touch the one they would teach in public school system. If you want prayer back in school then you need to go to a private school to me that is where that should stay. By the way i do go to church so don't assume that i don't .

November 21, 2008, 12:58 pm CST

Homosexuality

Quote From: andrea_d

seriously . . . EVERYTHING is a choice
GO BACK TO SCHOOL , being GAY is not a choice, read a Physiology BOOK or even a SOC. book for that matter....

First | Prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Next | Last