Message Boards

Topic : 11/20 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention

Number of Replies: 282
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:50:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa are 25-year-old twin sisters who had a normal childhood until their mom and stepfather divorced, and their world changed forever. Sarah and Tecoa say to fill the void, they turned to drugs and sex. Now, Sarah lives minute to minute on the streets, consumed with her quest for heroin and crack cocaine, and selling her body to pay for her drugs. Tecoa is currently clean, but not by choice. She’s been in jail, unable to do anything but think about drugs. She’s also six months pregnant. Joani, a former Dr. Phil guest and recovering addict herself, found Sarah on the streets and documented her days and nights for a month. Dr. Phil shows video footage to the twins’ mother, Cindy. How did she let her daughters’ lives get so out of control? Dr. Phil gets the twins off the street and into The Dr. Phil House to detox, and to get their lives back. With surprise visits from their past, a terrifying look into their future, and Dr. Phil helping them through it all, will Sarah and Tecoa commit to rehab and stay clean? Talk about the show here.

Please note: The on-the-street footage in this series was filmed by a concerned outside party and sent to the Dr. Phil show.  Upon receipt of this compelling video, the Dr. Phil show began immediate efforts to plan and arrange necessary interventions and inspire these young adults to get out of harm’s way.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 18, 2006, 11:54 am CST

Our real help in times of trouble

Quote From: milehidawn

i'm not quite sure you have ever dealt with too many people that are seriously addicted, because if you had you would know that you can not force an addict to be "made clean".  i just watched my son go back into court yesterday, fail yet another u.a., and go off once again in handcuffs.  this judge says "go to rehab".  he's been to rehab on three other occasions.  will this time work?  probably not.  why?  because he is not ready.  i know this because he has been using and in the court system and in jails for now 8 years.  he's almost 21.  i agree with you that all drugs should be destroyed, but that is not the answer either.  most of what is in the drugs my son is using are household items.  this is not intended to make you angry at me for what i have to say, but i know quite alot about this epidemic.  courts ordering  people into rehabs is a complete waste of time, all it is doing is generating revenue to those rehabs.  you have to want to quit.  right now, like so many, he is not ready.  he may never be ready.  i have resigned myself to the possibility that i may have to bury my son. 
again, this is not intended to upset anyone, but you cannot make a person clean.

You are so right, its not just the issue of drugs that is with anything that a person struggles with.  A person has to get to a point where they say enough is enough or something drastic has to happen in his/her life that causes him/her to fall flat on his face and have nowhere to go but for help.  It is a downward spiral, but once you hit rock bottom if you don't die first, then all you can do is go upwards. 

The best solution for any situation that is out of balance is to pray for that person, pray to our Lord Jesus Christ for help, He will intervene in your son's life, He is already there and has been there watching and praying for him.

I shall do the same, Lord Jesus I ask that you intervene in this young man's life, Lord I ask that you show him how much you love him and care for him, Lord show him the plan you have for his life (Jeremiah 29:11-a book in the old testament).  Lord keep a hedge of protection around this young man, Lord I ask that you give peace to his mom, give her your peace that passes all understanding I ask these things in Jesus name Amen

November 18, 2006, 12:02 pm CST

The real problem

Quote From: bosnian_girl

Drugs are such evil.

I think all governments of the world should unite and make an serious action-plan for destroying all of those plantages in the east, where the drugs are mainly and actually produced, and it should not be a question of will - all drugaddicts MUST be put in hospitals and MADE clean!!!!

Drugs are the symptoms of a much larger problem.  The problem is that we all have a void in our lives, and we try to fill it with stuff, whether that stuff be drugs, food, sex, work, play, laziness, you name it.  Nothing will fill that void but our Lord Jesus Christ!  Our identity is found only in Him and when anyone tries to complete themselves without Him problems follow.

You could destroy all the drugs in the world, but there are natural drugs.  If you have an inclination to overdo in a certain area of your life, you will find a way to get the high or need met that you are looking for.  It's just like trying to make all these guns laws to protect people from getting killed, it doesn't work because you haven't solved the original problem  which is hatred in their hearts and a host of other problems that lead people to kill others. 

Back to my point....the only way to get our needs met is in Jesus Christ, He is the only one that can meet ALL of our needs.  If you don't believe me, seek Him out and find out for yourself. 

November 18, 2006, 12:51 pm CST

Methadone

My 24 year old son has been on methadone for almost 4 years. His dosage is still extremely high.  Of course I am thankful he is otherwise completely clean, but it does not seem that these methadone clinics try very hard to provide addicts with the help they still need to deal with their addictions (or refer them somewhere). At least that has been what I have seen. I realize that each one needs to make their own choice to get the help, and I remain supportive in the meantime. He still struggles with emotional and self esteem problems and does not seem terribly motivated to improve or really embrace life. At moments when he has glimpses of such motivation, he does not know how to hold onto it or get on with his life. He only goes to the "required" minimal counseling at the clnic, which does not really seem to be adequate. My son started down this path when his dad decided to leave our family, and despite trying everything I could and seeking lots of help, he was determined to do it anyway. He was basically taking out his hurt and anger on himself.  My other son dealt with it differently by involving himself in many hobbies. I blamed myself a lot, but now see that I lovingly tried everything possible to keep him from such misery.  He is sometimes a mere shadow of his former enthusiastic and motivated self. It is the saddest thing I have ever seen. Learning about heroin addiction is something I never dreamed I'd ever have to know about much less see in our family.  I wish all young people following this path would have some way of getting the help they need in time before they become addicted to heroin. If they only knew it is not worth it one single bit.  One of my friends just lost her son this year from drugs. There were so many young people at the funeral just sobbing. I hope at least some of them were moved to get help.  It has devastated their extremely nice family.  I pray all parents who are dealing with this could find the help they and the rest of their families will need to cope. It took me a long time to realize that when he lashed out at me with such vehemence that it was the drugs talking, not the real son I know and love. Since he has been on methadone, we have been able to work through many things and he has sought my forgiveness. He is still not completely himself, however, and I would like to know if anyone else has dealt with this, and has anyone had experience with a loved one on a high dosage? If so, has it affected the person? Thanks.

November 18, 2006, 5:45 pm CST

11/20 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention

I have always been curious about why a person would start doing drugs in the first place, I mean we all know the consequences of drug addiction.  I am not getting into a dabate about whether or not its a disease or anything like that, at least that is not my intention, but the initial hit of any drug is usually by CHOICE I think a needle being FORCED onto someone is quite rare, and how would you FORCE someone to smoke it ?

So what I wonder is under what theory do people think its okay to choose that first hit of Heroin or Meth or the other variety of drugs out there ?  Addiction to painkillers, well for the most part I think that's really sad, most of those people were looking for relief from pain and those drugs were perscribed by a physician.

Why is it the parent's fault ? Did she TELL them it would be a good idea to do drugs, I doubt that very much, did she supply them with drugs, doubt that too.  Sorry, but they CHOSE the behavior and at twenty five now their mother has NO control.

Okay, mom and dad divorced, was  it really messy ? Probably, but they must've known there were other ways to cope.  After the divorce was Mom forced to work instead of staying home with them ? If she didn't go to work, she'd be defiled as a Welfare Mom let's face facts as parents we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Has Mom already helped them into rehab and treatment more than once or twice, and now is looking after her own sanity and taking (GASP) the hard line with the girls, how easy would that be (NOT).  I don't belive most parents give up THAT easily, but until they hit ROCK BOTTOM, there is NOTHING she or anyone else can do to help them, and as adults they have the RIGHT to kill themselves if they so choose.

Well I guess we'll know more on Monday.  But I will add to those who have kicked it, and are taking one day at a time, I salute you, it isn't easy, and it probably never will be but every day clean and sober is a victory.

November 18, 2006, 6:34 pm CST

Quote From: jojobeaner

Drugs are the symptoms of a much larger problem.  The problem is that we all have a void in our lives, and we try to fill it with stuff, whether that stuff be drugs, food, sex, work, play, laziness, you name it.  Nothing will fill that void but our Lord Jesus Christ!  Our identity is found only in Him and when anyone tries to complete themselves without Him problems follow.

You could destroy all the drugs in the world, but there are natural drugs.  If you have an inclination to overdo in a certain area of your life, you will find a way to get the high or need met that you are looking for.  It's just like trying to make all these guns laws to protect people from getting killed, it doesn't work because you haven't solved the original problem  which is hatred in their hearts and a host of other problems that lead people to kill others. 

Back to my point....the only way to get our needs met is in Jesus Christ, He is the only one that can meet ALL of our needs.  If you don't believe me, seek Him out and find out for yourself. 

This person has a point I was going to bring up.  If all the illegal drugs in the world were destroyed, they'd find another way to get the high they need.  I've heard alot of things others get high on, including over the counter medication/ prescription drugs.  And I'm all for keeping prescription drugs (Seeing as I actually need them- I have no thyroid).

Only thing I can think of is more education about it.  Other than that, I don't know.

November 18, 2006, 8:35 pm CST

I lost my son to Heroin addiction on August 17th

I can tell you that heroin addiction is NO JOKE! I watched my son suffer with this disease for 10 years. I thought it was the most painful thing I could experience. I knew he needed help and if he didn't get it he would surely die. He was in rehab several times inpatient and outpatient. He really wanted to stop but the drugs had already done major damage to his brain. He even tried religion and was sooooo sure he had it conquered. I loved him more than life and would have given mine for him. I tried everything I could think of to protect him from himself to include calling the cops and causing him to end up in prison for a year. The day he got out he went for more drugs. I even wrote to Dr. Phil begging for help. I guess he was too low on the list to get help. He went into rehab in June for 6 weeks. When he got out he did everything he was supposed to. He worked and went to church. He was baptised on July 23rd. On August 17th he gave in to the craving and went out and got drugs. That night he died on someone's bathroom floor. I got a call at 3 a.m. from the police department that he was dead. For a moment my heart was happy that he no longer had to suffer. I only thought his drug addiction was the most painful thing I could experience; watching him self-destruct. Trying to live my life without him is more painful than I could ever find words to describe. My heart is broken in a million pieces and I will never "get over it". By the grace of God I will learn to live with it. For a while I wanted to die because a huge piece of me is gone forever. On Tuesday I will visit his grave in honor of his 30th birthday and try to celebrate Thanksgiving (his favorite holiday) on Thursday.

If you are thinking of using drugs or have become an addict, PLEASE GET HELP! You have no idea what you are doing to yourself and the people who love you.  My son thought he had a tolerance level so high that he could use anything and he wouldn't die. He even tried to overdose on many occasions because he was sick and tired of being a prisoner to the drug but he never died, as he put it. He said he would always wake up. When he was least expecting it he did die and I have to live with this loss. He was my first born and my very best friend. My life will never be the same. Please don't do this to your family or friends.

November 19, 2006, 4:13 pm CST

this is a very sad thing to read my heart goes out to you

Quote From: simplebear

I can tell you that heroin addiction is NO JOKE! I watched my son suffer with this disease for 10 years. I thought it was the most painful thing I could experience. I knew he needed help and if he didn't get it he would surely die. He was in rehab several times inpatient and outpatient. He really wanted to stop but the drugs had already done major damage to his brain. He even tried religion and was sooooo sure he had it conquered. I loved him more than life and would have given mine for him. I tried everything I could think of to protect him from himself to include calling the cops and causing him to end up in prison for a year. The day he got out he went for more drugs. I even wrote to Dr. Phil begging for help. I guess he was too low on the list to get help. He went into rehab in June for 6 weeks. When he got out he did everything he was supposed to. He worked and went to church. He was baptised on July 23rd. On August 17th he gave in to the craving and went out and got drugs. That night he died on someone's bathroom floor. I got a call at 3 a.m. from the police department that he was dead. For a moment my heart was happy that he no longer had to suffer. I only thought his drug addiction was the most painful thing I could experience; watching him self-destruct. Trying to live my life without him is more painful than I could ever find words to describe. My heart is broken in a million pieces and I will never "get over it". By the grace of God I will learn to live with it. For a while I wanted to die because a huge piece of me is gone forever. On Tuesday I will visit his grave in honor of his 30th birthday and try to celebrate Thanksgiving (his favorite holiday) on Thursday.

If you are thinking of using drugs or have become an addict, PLEASE GET HELP! You have no idea what you are doing to yourself and the people who love you.  My son thought he had a tolerance level so high that he could use anything and he wouldn't die. He even tried to overdose on many occasions because he was sick and tired of being a prisoner to the drug but he never died, as he put it. He said he would always wake up. When he was least expecting it he did die and I have to live with this loss. He was my first born and my very best friend. My life will never be the same. Please don't do this to your family or friends.

when people are using drugs they think there hurting no one but them selves, i know i thought that way, it wasnt till i hit rock bottom i saw i was hurting every one i knew and loved, it was a real wake up call for me, i never got to the point of using heroin, but everything i was using was just as bad, i thank god every day of my life for letting me hit rock bottom when i did,and i thank all the counclers at rivers edge in macon georgia for giving me the tools i needed to stay clean, wasnt easy but i have done it, so i know it can be done, i hope the twins on the show that will air tomo0rrow morning here will be able to over come there deamon as well, thank you for sharing your story for other readers ,maybe it will be seen by some one that relly needs to read it, once again im sooo sorry your story has no happy ending for you,and i pray god will lift your pain and let you only remember the happy times yall had togather><

November 19, 2006, 5:52 pm CST

Quote From: jojobeaner

You are so right, its not just the issue of drugs that is with anything that a person struggles with.  A person has to get to a point where they say enough is enough or something drastic has to happen in his/her life that causes him/her to fall flat on his face and have nowhere to go but for help.  It is a downward spiral, but once you hit rock bottom if you don't die first, then all you can do is go upwards. 

The best solution for any situation that is out of balance is to pray for that person, pray to our Lord Jesus Christ for help, He will intervene in your son's life, He is already there and has been there watching and praying for him.

I shall do the same, Lord Jesus I ask that you intervene in this young man's life, Lord I ask that you show him how much you love him and care for him, Lord show him the plan you have for his life (Jeremiah 29:11-a book in the old testament).  Lord keep a hedge of protection around this young man, Lord I ask that you give peace to his mom, give her your peace that passes all understanding I ask these things in Jesus name Amen

Thank you so much for that prayer.  My family has had its fair share of drug addictions.  I have had three cousins addicted, two of which have come very close to dying.  I don't think any of them have been addicted "to heroin" but cocaine and marajuana laced in formaldehyde were their drugs of choice.  My other cousin is addicted to pills and no telling what else.  My point is, you can't force an adult or anyone for that matter to get clean. IT HAS TO BE THEIR CHOISE, as stated by the previous poster.  No one can help them until they want help. 

I am happy to say, the two that were hook on cocaine and marajuana laced in formaldehyde have now turned their lives around.  They both had to hit rock bottom, first.   We got a call one night in 2001 that one had overdosed and he was going into convulsions.  This happened on two seperate occassions.  Then he was busted for selling to a DEA agent and served two years on a four year sentence.  His little boy was 4 1/2 months old when he went to prison, he was 20 at the time.  I truly believe that if it weren't for his little boy he would have gone back to drugs.  His son is his whole world.  Of coarse God is the real reason he was able to kick his addictions.

As for the one on cocaine, she married a man in 2002, 16 years her senior, who convinced all of us that he was getting her off of drugs and he did. Little did we know he hooking her on to "his drugs of choice".  All the while beating her to a pulp.  She dealt with it for 4 years and finally had enough.  Her divorce was final in October 2006.  She was diagnosed in May 2006 with Hepitis C, compliments of her ex.  She has been drug free for about a year or so now and is happier than she's been in  the last 6 or 8 years.

My cousin hooked on pills is the brother to the one who went to prison for selling to the DEA agent.  He's had addictions since he was about 16 or 18, he's now 31.  He has a 13 year old daughter and a 5 year old son but still can't seem to get it together.  His daughter has lived with his parents (my aunt and uncle) since she was 3 months old and his son lives with his mother and step father in Florida.  He hasn't made the decision to change yet and still need lots of prayer.

November 19, 2006, 6:04 pm CST

After reading "afraid's" very lengthy though extremely informative post, I have to disagree with one statement. It was said that those on methadone are still able to feel pain. They have discovered that methdone is extremely effective in treating those with chronic pain conditions, without that "high" experienced from other drugs. I have a chronic condition that I have been treated for the last 10 years with narcotic meds. My doctor some 4 years ago had to talk me into trying methadone. At the time I was taking numerous narcotic pain medications. It took some time adjusting my dose...but finally got to where I was practically pain free. I got my life back. I'm in no way advocating the use of methadone...that's a decision made between a competent physician and patient. I lost my doctor recently (left private practice to work in the hospital) and I had to find another one. My new doctor does NOT prescribe methadone under any circumstances. So NOW instead of being on ONE medication per month, I'm on SIX. I'm not sure how prudent that is. And I don't have the pain relief I had, nor is my quality of life the same. But that's just the way it is.

I'm no stranger to drug addiction, though I admit I don't understand it myself. I am *dependent* on drugs for my way of life...I'm not *addicted*. Without them I don't move. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I would have taken my own life years ago had it not been for a savior that came in a little white coat. The physician literally gave me my life back. I have to say that he didn't just start writing pills out to me...he had me go for *extensive* testing to confirm my condition. It was only after a sound diagnosis that he started treating me for chronic pain. I admit I do not understand the addict's mentality. I am one of the fortunate few who don't abuse meds of any kind. Nor any other substance for that matter. That's not blowing my own horn, it's simply a fact. I'm not an addictive personality.

I didn't have the fortune to marry someone so inclined, however. Initially my husband "just" used pot. We had many a battle over that...one that I ultimately lost. Twelve years into our marriage, he made the choice to use intravenous drugs. His drug of choice was oxycontin, but he'd "shoot" whatever he could get his hands on. Needless to say..what I went through in an attempt to keep him out of my own, very necessary drugs is not to be described. I learned to be very adept at hiding something. He didn't care that without my meds I was rendered incapable of doing so much as showering, and unable to get out of bed. Unable to walk. In more pain than the law allows. That is of no concern to the addict. I later learned that he had used heroin on a few times before we even met. Needless to say, he didn't divulge that information to me during our courtship. I went through 8 years of hell before it finally hit me square between the eyes that *I* wasn't going to be the one to get him clean. HE had to want it. HE had to desire it. I would toss his happy ass from the home, just to be "taken in" by the lies and manipulations of a man desperate to get back into his "comfort zone". I finally learned to see it for what it was.

We separated...and I spent the next 3 years getting my own head back on straight. It takes a lot for a family member to recover themselves from dealing with a situation like that. I never divorced him, though I never had any contact with him. He was arrested for first degree murder for giving someone an injection (not by force, either...the man wanted it) that ultimately resulted in his demise. That the deceased took the injection willingly was of no consequence, and rightfully so. In this state...if you give someone something that causes their death, even though they themselves requested it, it's enough to warrant first degree murder charges. My "husband" spent 2 months in jail, and had severe withdrawals, according to one of his "keepers" that spoke to me after the fact. His bond was finally lowered to where he could bond out, and three days later he was dead of an accidental drug overdose. When he bonded out...he was clean. He'd already gone through the withdrawals and it was no longer in his system. But the URGE to abuse was still in him. He died one day after his 47th birthday.

I apologize for my lengthy post. I don't know what the answer is for those who choose to abuse. You'd have to have climbed out from underneath a rock to not know how dangerous these drugs are for you. They've been preaching/teaching it in the schools for years. Where I live..there are posters all over town for those addicted to meth. Begging them to get the help they need. Even those addicted will tell you that it's a life of hell...yet they're powerless. Or so they believe.

Ultimately...it's a long, sad and painful journey that often leads to death and destruction for those involved. And if they think they're hurting no one but themselves....they're wrong....DEAD WRONG.

November 19, 2006, 11:58 pm CST

You're in my prayers on Thanksgiving Day.

Quote From: afraid

when people are using drugs they think there hurting no one but them selves, i know i thought that way, it wasnt till i hit rock bottom i saw i was hurting every one i knew and loved, it was a real wake up call for me, i never got to the point of using heroin, but everything i was using was just as bad, i thank god every day of my life for letting me hit rock bottom when i did,and i thank all the counclers at rivers edge in macon georgia for giving me the tools i needed to stay clean, wasnt easy but i have done it, so i know it can be done, i hope the twins on the show that will air tomo0rrow morning here will be able to over come there deamon as well, thank you for sharing your story for other readers ,maybe it will be seen by some one that relly needs to read it, once again im sooo sorry your story has no happy ending for you,and i pray god will lift your pain and let you only remember the happy times yall had togather><

I feel your pain and will remember your son on Thanksgiving Day.  I am so sorry that you've had to endure so much pain.  Thank you for sharing your story and God Bless You.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last