Message Boards

Topic : 11/20 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention

Number of Replies: 282
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:50:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa are 25-year-old twin sisters who had a normal childhood until their mom and stepfather divorced, and their world changed forever. Sarah and Tecoa say to fill the void, they turned to drugs and sex. Now, Sarah lives minute to minute on the streets, consumed with her quest for heroin and crack cocaine, and selling her body to pay for her drugs. Tecoa is currently clean, but not by choice. She’s been in jail, unable to do anything but think about drugs. She’s also six months pregnant. Joani, a former Dr. Phil guest and recovering addict herself, found Sarah on the streets and documented her days and nights for a month. Dr. Phil shows video footage to the twins’ mother, Cindy. How did she let her daughters’ lives get so out of control? Dr. Phil gets the twins off the street and into The Dr. Phil House to detox, and to get their lives back. With surprise visits from their past, a terrifying look into their future, and Dr. Phil helping them through it all, will Sarah and Tecoa commit to rehab and stay clean? Talk about the show here.

Please note: The on-the-street footage in this series was filmed by a concerned outside party and sent to the Dr. Phil show.  Upon receipt of this compelling video, the Dr. Phil show began immediate efforts to plan and arrange necessary interventions and inspire these young adults to get out of harm’s way.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 20, 2006, 8:22 am CST

i think the point dr phil was trying to get across was for people not to wait untill your child get this far gone before you step in and do what ever needs to be done to get your children clean from drugs,thers no guarantee the twins will even be able to

Quote From: rwoodell

Dr. Phil,

I haven't watched the show yet myself.  My friend that lives in England just called me at work to tell me a little about the show.  And what she told me made me very angry (if it's true), she said that you were questioning why the parents of any children could abandon their children and made it sound as if it was their fault their children were addicts.  It's often necessary to have the "tough love" approach, for the health of the whole family!!  I have been working in the addiction field for that last fourteen years, I have a brother that's 52 and has been in recovery for almost fours years now and I am married to a recovering alcoholic.  At some point you get to the point that enough is enough, even with your children.

As I said in the first line, I haven't watched the show yet.  I will reserve any further comments until then.

Robin

November 20, 2006, 8:26 am CST

you are not correct in your findings the twins have themselve to blame for there addiction

Quote From: katibug003

I am amazed! This is such a sad sad story, but the real place to put the blame for these girls is on the mother. She said she did'nt know that her girls were doing the drugs, or that she thought she knew that they had tried pot and alcohol. At 12 & 13 years old, when she came home from work and her daughters were not home. How do you come home when your children are 12 years old and they are not home!!?? Yes these girls are now 25 and are responsible for their own lives, they are adults...but their mother made them adults. We as parents are not raising children, we are raising adults!! I do hope these girls can get their lives back, but the mother needs just as much help as her girls. I am sure Dr. Phil is the one to do that.

the only to break the cycle is for a addict to know they have them selves to blame otherwise they will never stay clean,they will always get on there pitty pot and return to the streets, trust me on this one,

November 20, 2006, 8:57 am CST

why blame? the deed is done

we love to blame others ~ it all began in Genesis 3 with The Deception that resulted in The Fall

IMO the core cause is the void in our hearts; we try to fill it with a variety of things.  Drugs is just so "in your face" it seems to be more devastating.  But, actually it is just one of many terrible consequences of our fallen state. I believe Jesus is able to fill the void.

Drugs are one facet of our crumbling culture. 

That said, addiction is very difficult to conquer. The bible teaches that a new life begins with new thinking;  As a man thinketh, so he is.  Remember, THERE IS HOPE!

For the addict who finds himself in the clutches of the demon the first step is to realize you are powerless.  Without Christ you can do nothing but with Him all things are possible to those who believe.  You need the Higher Power, There is Power, Power wonder working power in the name of Jesus.

Step two:  CHOOSE this day whom you will serve; the darkness or the Light. 

Step Three:  Don't Give Up!  Remember You can Do ALL things through Christ who gives you strength.  It is never to late to make a U-Turn. 

I promise, it works!  I've seen it.  I've experienced it. 

November 20, 2006, 9:02 am CST

As a single parent and mother of children of same age

Im interested because my oldest son is 26 and has/had friends that are to the point that these girls are.  As a mother my heart goes out to them. I wonder if they can break their habit, it seems to be such a strong drug and such a strong addiction. All I can do is try and be their for my sons and their friends and ask them to seek counceling....one friend says he dosent have insurance and can't get counceling for more than 4 days. I have told him that if he is feeling like he needs it that he is to call me and we will go do something, anything to get his mind off of his despair but I am not a doctor and I know he needs help.

November 20, 2006, 9:17 am CST

Heroin Twins So Sad

It broke my heart to watch those two girls on the show today, they were such beautiful children and to see the damage they have done to themselves, it is sickening!  Anyone thinking about trying drugs should take a good look at them, because the only way to guarantee you won't get hooked on drugs is to never try them. Which in this day is easier said than done. I hope and pray that they both are ready to accept Dr. Phil's help. There must be some sick men out there that are willing to pay Sarah for sex the way she looks, no wonder there is so much VD being spread around. And the part where Sarah was turning that young girl on to heroin I just couldn't believe it, what was that girl thinking "I want to grow up and be just like You !"  Drugs are such an epidemic that something MAJOR needs to be done, there is probably not one family in America that hasn't been touched in one way or another by them. Parents need to really watch their preteens and teenagers, ask questions, snoop, check up on them. What's worse a teenager that doesn't like you or an adult that is ruining their life. I know the very best parent sometimes can't prevent this, but you should do everything possible. It's your duty and responsibility!!!! I hope everyone who watches this show says a quick prayer for all the lost people in this world.      

November 20, 2006, 9:18 am CST

11/20 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention

Quote From: pamlatham629

You just never know what is going on in the world until you see some of Dr Phil's shows. This show was sad and sickening at the same time. I mean I was so upset at the twin that introduce the drug to the other twin. And you know the shocking thing to me was that the one twin was shooting up a girl who said that she wanted to try it and let her do it while she was so high she could barely hold her head up. Oh my goodness! That was all I could take when I saw that. My stomach was turning all day. I feel sad and sorry for these girls but their mother single or not let them have too much freedom. She could have made sure that someone was there with them......a neighbor, a friend, sports, school activities there are so many things. There are mothers all over the world that do not use the excuse of being  a single parent for the reasons that she listed. Its hard, but someone has to be there for the kids.  How can you sleep at night knowing that your kids are not home? How can you even be at work when you know that your kids are experimenting with drugs and alcohol? Yeah it may be normal for them to experiment but to be full out on drugs.....wow! When I heard the responses that the girls mother was giving I was like yelling at the t.v. HEY GET REAL AND TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY! How could Dr. Phil even contain himself.......oh my!

I haven't seen the show yet, but there ARE some kids who just "go bad", irregardless if whether or not their parents did the right thing. You asked how someone could be at work when you know your kids are experimenting with drugs and alcohol? Single mothers rarely receive child support...so *someone* has to support these kids. Who should that be? Everyone screamed and hollered about "welfare reform" so many years ago. Single mothers were barely allowed to get on their feet. Some weren't allowed that courtesy at all. And they HAVE to get out there and work.

Sometimes I think even Dr.Phil is one step out of touch with the real world. Don't get me wrong...I like him and think he does a good job summing people up and giving them advice. But unless/until HE has had a child addicted to heroin....he just does NOT know what it's like.

Like I say, I haven't seen the show yet...but I get so tired of people ALWAYS blaming the mother. There ARE exceptions to the rule...though I'll have to reserve "judgement" on this particular one until the show airs in my area...

November 20, 2006, 9:33 am CST

in most states you can go to a judge and get him to order a person into a rehab center,then the person gets help weather there able to pay or not,but in any case there is help out there you may want to do a web search for the state you live in,every stat

Quote From: sweepea

Im interested because my oldest son is 26 and has/had friends that are to the point that these girls are.  As a mother my heart goes out to them. I wonder if they can break their habit, it seems to be such a strong drug and such a strong addiction. All I can do is try and be their for my sons and their friends and ask them to seek counceling....one friend says he dosent have insurance and can't get counceling for more than 4 days. I have told him that if he is feeling like he needs it that he is to call me and we will go do something, anything to get his mind off of his despair but I am not a doctor and I know he needs help.

November 20, 2006, 9:36 am CST

Afraid for my friend

I have a friend who, just int he past few days, has had to come to terms with her drug addictions and lies.  I have done drugs with her, especially crack, cocaine, marijuana, and pain pills.  But just recently realized how serious her problem is.  Now that I am ready to be honest with myself and everyone else, she is blaming me for all her problems .  She is losing her family and all of her friends because she is lying to everyone and blaming me for her problems.  I don't know what to do for her.  Anyone have any advice?

November 20, 2006, 9:58 am CST

responsibility

my views on addiction have changed over the years. after reading this story, my take is that when parents get divorced they really need to be sure that the kids needs are met first; it is my impression that in this case that did not happen. I think there has got to be more emphasis put on what happens to kids when their parents split up.  It is a very adult situation that most kids get dragged through without enough consideration or support.

November 20, 2006, 10:14 am CST

she isnt ready to come to terms with her problems however you are, you must move on with out her and remember you must leave all your play mates and play grounds in the past, it will help you to stay clean after rehab

Quote From: ewinansohio

I have a friend who, just int he past few days, has had to come to terms with her drug addictions and lies.  I have done drugs with her, especially crack, cocaine, marijuana, and pain pills.  But just recently realized how serious her problem is.  Now that I am ready to be honest with myself and everyone else, she is blaming me for all her problems .  She is losing her family and all of her friends because she is lying to everyone and blaming me for her problems.  I don't know what to do for her.  Anyone have any advice?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last