Message Boards

Topic : 11/20 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention

Number of Replies: 282
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:50:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa are 25-year-old twin sisters who had a normal childhood until their mom and stepfather divorced, and their world changed forever. Sarah and Tecoa say to fill the void, they turned to drugs and sex. Now, Sarah lives minute to minute on the streets, consumed with her quest for heroin and crack cocaine, and selling her body to pay for her drugs. Tecoa is currently clean, but not by choice. She’s been in jail, unable to do anything but think about drugs. She’s also six months pregnant. Joani, a former Dr. Phil guest and recovering addict herself, found Sarah on the streets and documented her days and nights for a month. Dr. Phil shows video footage to the twins’ mother, Cindy. How did she let her daughters’ lives get so out of control? Dr. Phil gets the twins off the street and into The Dr. Phil House to detox, and to get their lives back. With surprise visits from their past, a terrifying look into their future, and Dr. Phil helping them through it all, will Sarah and Tecoa commit to rehab and stay clean? Talk about the show here.

Please note: The on-the-street footage in this series was filmed by a concerned outside party and sent to the Dr. Phil show.  Upon receipt of this compelling video, the Dr. Phil show began immediate efforts to plan and arrange necessary interventions and inspire these young adults to get out of harm’s way.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 20, 2006, 10:33 am CST

if you find it hard to just walk away from a friend try reading this, maybe it can help you in finding the proper approach to the problem><

Quote From: ewinansohio

I have a friend who, just int he past few days, has had to come to terms with her drug addictions and lies.  I have done drugs with her, especially crack, cocaine, marijuana, and pain pills.  But just recently realized how serious her problem is.  Now that I am ready to be honest with myself and everyone else, she is blaming me for all her problems .  She is losing her family and all of her friends because she is lying to everyone and blaming me for her problems.  I don't know what to do for her.  Anyone have any advice?

How to talk to someone who abuses alcohol or other drugs
If one of your friends needed help solving a business problem, or was sick, or needed help watching the kids, no doubt you'd lend a hand; but when a friend shows signs of abusing alcohol or other drugs, sometimes it's hard to know what to do or say.

Chemical dependency is more than just a "problem" it's a medically proven disease, just like diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. And it's just as life-threatening if left untreated.

While the symptoms of these other diseases are mostly physical, people with alcoholism and drug problems experience emotional and social symptoms as well, often hurting their friends, families, jeopardizing their jobs, or harming themselves.

It's hard to be a friend to someone abusing alcohol or other drugs, yet this is the time when your friend needs you most.

By following the suggestions offered here, you may be saving your friend's life.

How to sort out your confusion about a friend's substance abuse
When deciding whether to speak up to your friend, you may have some reservations, such as the following:

"It's none of my business how much my friend drinks or gets high. I wouldn't want anyone telling me what to do."

Think about it this way: Suppose you were in a restaurant and someone at a nearby table was having a heart attack. If you know CPR, you'd perform it right away, wouldn't you? Or if you didn't, you'd at least try to get help. You'd do everything you could for a total stranger.

Addressing a friend's substance abuse is just as critical. Thirty-five percent of all hospitalizations are due to the abuse of alcohol and other drugs. And chemical dependency is a leading cause of death in America. So, when you talk to your friend about drinking or drug use, you may be literally saving a life, as well as helping your friend get that life back together again.

"I don't want to risk ruining our friendship."

Most people feel this way and are surprised to find out that the opposite happens. Often people who abuse alcohol or drugs are secretly hoping someone will talk to them honestly about their problem.

In fact, in a nationwide survey of recovering people, 69 percent said they got help because a friend or relative was honest with them about their drinking and other drug use.

Another 41 percent said they would have gotten help sooner if family or friends had voiced concern.

"My friend drinks a lot, but at least there are no drugs."

Though legal, alcohol is a drug, and for someone with the disease of chemical dependency, it is just as devastating as illegal drugs. In fact, many health officials believe it is the most abused drug in America. Also, for an alcoholic, it doesn't matter if the drink of choice is "light" beer, wine or scotch; any alcohol will cause trouble.

"How do I make sure I say the right thing? I don't want my friend to get angry, or to feel hurt."

It's never easy to talk about something as sensitive and personal as drinking or drug use. And when you do, you'll probably put your friend on the spot or cause hurt pride. Your friend may even become angry. But focus on the behavior and consequences, not the person.

"I'm sure my friend's family would say something if it were that bad. I'm only a friend."

If your friend's drinking or drug use has gone on for some time, family members may not have noticed that it's gotten worse or they may have learned to ignore it to protect themselves. One of the tragedies of alcoholism and drug abuse is the incredible adjustments family members make to cope with this disease.

Also, your friend may be hiding drinking or drug use from family members. Or drinking or drug use may be an accepted way of life in the family, so no one thinks there is a problem.

As you can see, sometimes families are the least able to offer help. As a friend, you may have far greater impact -- especially since most people prefer to confide in a friend when they have a problem.

November 20, 2006, 11:14 am CST

old friend wish you all 3 much success

cindy, this is deb thomas, in south carolina - friend from a long time ago.....charlene and i were at winthrop together and we spend great times together over the next 10 yrs or so.

i havent chatted with you in about 5 yrs .  

nd then it was only here and there just to say hi and that i have never forgotten your family. 

i knew only a tip of the iceberg the trouble with your girls..... my heart is full of love and support for you and your family.  bless you all.  i am as im sure you are so thankful that this intervention is taking place.  what a wonderful thing.   the pay it forward attitude is a beautiful thing and thank goodness for the woman following sara.  my hopes and prayers are for a total turn around for both girls.  my hat goes off to you cindy - i know that you are a great gal and worked hard and did the best that you could do supporting two girls as a single parent.   dont ever sell yourself short .  its often said that bad things happen to good people and that is the truth. 

hang in there and hold on tight to this opportunity of hope.   like i said my heart if full of love and hope for all of you....

and when its all said and done.   i would love to catch up with you but have lost your number and charlene's as well.  feel free to email be at deblthomas@yahoo.com    .  it would be a pleasure to chat with you........love, debbie

November 20, 2006, 12:37 pm CST

The video of Sarah is outrageously disturbing!

I had to stop watching the show at the point when Sarah shot up a friend with heroin(?) for the first time while the videographer continues to just tape this. I understand the videographer is an ex-user who's purpose is to help others but to just sit there and document this abuse is just outrageous. She's holding the camera inches away from the two of them ! - where does the journalistic voyeur's compulsion to document  end and the compassion and the concern of an ordinary human being kick in to stop this abuse right there! Sarah's not the only party who's allowing someone else to become an addict  --- so is the videographer!! When I cool down I'll try to watch the show again but it's hard not to shout at the TV  in frustration and anger!

November 20, 2006, 12:43 pm CST

11/20 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention

After half an hour I had to shut it off. What a sad life. I am sure it will save some peoples lives. Thank you, Dr. Phil.

November 20, 2006, 12:53 pm CST

This was a very good show!

I think this will help alot of people. I have been through the drug thing, not as severe as them. But My family stepped in and helped me. They sent me to detox and I made the move to get myself clean. My biggest thing was my family told me I would no longer be able to see my brothers if I would continue down the path I was going. I als found out I was pregnant. I was already clean when I got pregnant, and I knew to keep my child clean and safe I had to do the same to me.

Heres the thing, can I view whats going on in the dr.phil house? I would love to see how these girls are doing!

November 20, 2006, 12:56 pm CST

jonnie

i cant believe that this lady would sit there and record the twins and watch her do drugs and do nothing about it , but what is WORSE is that she sat there and watch sara show the young girl how to shoot up and she did nothing at all she should have done something to stop that. i think that jonnie is just as much at faught for the girl starting that drug as sara is and something should be done about that. i watch your show all the time but when i saw that show that was the frist time i looked you up on the web and be a member just so i could leave a message. and one last thing watching the show i having a feeling the mother has very little concern for her daughters. i am a father of a 12 year old girl and if she ever got into drugs i would do anything i had to too help her out, even if i had to go pull her off the street and bring her down to a rehab center or even as far as the police to help her out. and i know that in everything you do that might not help but i didnt hear of her doing anything at all...

November 20, 2006, 12:57 pm CST

drugs  are evil!!!!!!!!!!  they only kill you!!  they mess up your life too!!  drugs are from satan!!!!!!!

November 20, 2006, 12:58 pm CST

It seems to me by this show that this isn't a case of parents just splitting up, it seems to me that these twins mother needs someone to ask her what the hell is wrong with her.  She just lets her kids run wild and crazy when they're teenagers and then wonders how her kids turned out this way.  She seems to me to be blaming everyone but herself.  I know that when I was growing up, my parents had a firm handle on us.  We weren't allowed to go out and have access to drugs and alcohol like they did.  I can not stand it when mothers or fathers go on shows and say, "I can't control them."  Bull, you can control them, you are the parents, you are the boss.  The twins mother dropped a couple of tears when she watched the video of her daughter selling herself and shooting up, but at the end she didn't really even act like she cared.  That's just sad to me because my little girls are the most important thing in the world to me and I would die before I would ever let something like this happen to them. 

November 20, 2006, 1:01 pm CST

you call yourself "MOM"?

what the heck?  i hear the blame being put on the step dad, the school, being asleep when a couple of 12 or 13 or 14 year old girls come home from a night out with friends!  are you kidding me?  it is a PARENT'S job to keep the children safe and sound!  the problem would have been much easier to handle when they were adolescents, and only "experimenting".  thank GOD this woman only had two kids.  she should be ashamed of herself.  the least she could have done, was have them arrested a long time ago.  you do whatever you NEED TO DO to save your children!  this is a sad and shameful story.  it breaks my heart that these two girls had no one who cared enough about them that they would walk to the end of the earth to save them.

p.s.  this mother should have had her children taken away from her when they were adolescents.  i sure that looking the other way while her children drank, smoked, stole and did drugs was not the only abuse suffered on them.

November 20, 2006, 1:11 pm CST

what is wrong with the twin's mother

I WATCHED THE DR.PHIL SHOW TODAY AND WATCHED WHILE THESE TWIN'S WHERE SHOOTING UP.MY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS MOTHER AND THE LADY WHO WAS TAPING.IM SORRY I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY SHE JUST SAT THERE TAPING.WHY WOULD'NT SHE GET THESE GIRLS SOME HELP.MY GOD MY PRAYERS ARE WITH THESE GIRL'S.IM BLOWEN AWAY ABOUT THIS SHOW.IF THE MOTHER NEW THEY WERE DRINKING AND DOING DRUGS.WHY DID'NT SHE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BEFORE THE GIRL'S GOT THIS FAR.THEY NEED HELP BIG TIME.IT SEEMS LIKE THE MOTHER IS SITTING THERE LIKE A BUMP ON A LOG.SAYING I DIDNT KNOW.WHEN SHE TOLD DR.PHIL SHE NEW THEY WERE DOING DRUG'S BUT I CAN'T WATCH THEM 24/7 THEN MY QUESTION IS WHAT THE HELL KIND OF MOTHER IS SHE.THE MOTHER LETS THE GIRL'S GET THIS BAD AND THEN DECIDES THEY NEED HELP.MY GOD THEY NEEDED HELP LONG BEFORE THIS.AND NOW WHAT ABOUT THE BABY.I KNOW DR.PHIL WILL HELP.BUT THESE GIRL'S NEED THE LOVE AND HELP OF THERE MOTHER.GOD IM GLAD SHES NOT MY MOTHER.I CRYED WHEN I SEEN THESE GIRL'S AND SO YOUNG AND IN JAIL ALREADY.DR.PHIL IS RIGHT THERE GOING TO BE DEAD IF NO ON HELP'S THEM.I FOR ONE ARE GLAD THERE OFF OF THE STREET AND IN THE DR.PHIL'S HOUSE.NOW THEY WILL GET THE HELP THEY NEED.MAYBE THE GIRL'S CAN'T THANK DR.PHIL SO I WILL FOR THEM

THANK YOU DR.PHIL FOR HELPING THESE GIRL'S I FOR ONE BELIVE THAT IF ANYONE CAN HELP THEM YOU CAN DR.PHIL THANK YOU

KATHY

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last