Message Boards

Topic : 03/30 Nightmare Brides and Grooms

Number of Replies: 435
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:52:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/21/06) Contemporary weddings have turned into five-star productions, with couples pulling out all the stops to shine on their special day. But what happens when the bride- or groom-to-be starts making diva-like demands? Mike and Jamie agreed to a small Vegas wedding, but that went out the window when Jamie switched her gown three times, rented a limo to drive her one block and upgraded her engagement ring. Mike says that Jamie also made him un-invite all of his friends and cancel his bachelor party! Are Jamie’s antics a hint of what’s to come in their marriage? Then, Nastassia complains that her husband-to-be, Richard, is cheap. She says he wants her to buy bridal flowers from the grocery store, have her mom sew her gown and even schedule the wedding before year's end so he can get a tax write-off! Will Richard’s tightwad ways force Nastassia to call off the wedding?  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 18, 2006, 12:23 pm CST

judgments

Quote From: jh0817

These marriages haven't even happened yet and they are already headed for trouble.  Making someone cancel their bachelor party, and uninviting guests is very rude, controlling, and downright stupid.  This woman is manipulative control freak.  This groom should cancel the wedding.  How would she feel if he made her cancel her bachelorette party?  And as far as Natassia goes, leave that bumb, he's a cheapskate.  Any man who wants you to buy flowers at the grocery store and have a dress sewn simply because he's looking for a tax break? isn't someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, things are only going to get worse when you live together.  There's a difference between being a smart shopper, spender and then there's people who are just cheap.  As far as the other woman who's groom told her that if she started taking birth control, the wedding was off I say give him his ring back.  He's very superficial and already shows signs of controlling behavior.

These cast members would save themselves a lot of emotional stress and money if they just cut their losses and move on!!!!!

I would consider watching the show first because maybe Jamie did not have a bachlorette party either and  everyone gets stressed out with wedding plans and it does not mean they are not in love.

November 18, 2006, 12:24 pm CST

judgments

I would consider watching the shows before people pass judgments on people.  Weddings are stressful for everyone but it does not mean they are not in love.

November 18, 2006, 12:54 pm CST

NIGHTMARE BRIDES AND GROOMS

I feel there are stresses on both the bride and groom during wedding planning.  I don't believe in pointing the finger at people. There are two sides to every story and I would consider watching the show before making accusations.

November 18, 2006, 1:15 pm CST

the importance of a wedding

A wedding ceremony is meant to celebrate the couple getting married, the key word is a celebration.  A couple needs to spend more time on planning their marriage rather than planning their wedding celebration.

The wedding is the icing on the cake to an already planned out marriage.  This doesn' t mean that you plan out every detail of your life together.  But what it means is that you have talked about the important issues of your lives and how you will integrate these into each other's lives.  If you haven't done this then you can't possibly plan a wedding celebration.  Because what will be happening is that you are putting the cart before the horse! 

What?

Glad you asked....If you have not discussed the important issues of a marriage together then you will be coming across these issues while planning your wedding celebration and that is where the conflict comes in.  Issues will arise, let's just take one for example, finances.  You both have different views on finances and how money should be spent, each person has their own definition of what is smart spending and what is a waste of money.  If you haven't taken the time to sit down and discuss these issues before you start planning your wedding celebration this is when you will be forced to tackle this issue and that is when you will have conflict especially if you don't agree 100% on this, and most people don't! 

What will happen is that everything will become a power struggle and what should have been a pleasant, fun, loving expression of your love for one another becomes a nightmare!  It's not that you don't love the person or shouldn't marry the person, you just haven't done your homework to know if you are marrying the right person or how you are going to handle issues that come up in your lives together. 

Love is not all about those euphoric feelings that we have when we are dating someone, love is a sacrifice, sacrificing for that person.  It's about loving one another by placing that person's needs above your own. If only one person is doing this then the marriage will always be out of balance.

We need to connect to one another, physically, spiritually, emotionally and mentally.  This balance is like a four-legged table, if one of these legs is missing then our table will always be wobbly. 

The solution is to STOP planning the wedding and GO get some premarital counseling and find out more about this person you are committing to spend the rest of your life with. 

Get the help you need NOW before you marry the wrong person!!!

So what if you have already purchased the cake, silverware, wedding gown, paid the DJ, these are just things they can be recouped.  When you are talking about matters of the heart there is no price tag to put on a broken heart and a life of misery with someone you never should have married.

Take the time now to get to know your spouse, look at the hard issues of life because they will come up in your marriage and you will have to deal with them.  It is better to have a heads up about what your partner thinks about certain subjects before you say I do. 

November 18, 2006, 2:48 pm CST

NIGHTMARE BRIDE

Quote From: wiraptfamo

Mike should show Jamie the door and tell her to be careful to not let it her on the way out.  Really!  Life is too short to marry someone who isn't really your best friend. 
maybe they are best friends and in love and maybe the stresses were just due from wedding planning.

November 18, 2006, 5:24 pm CST

11/21 Nightmare Brides and Grooms

Quote From: btrflyck

maybe they are best friends and in love and maybe the stresses were just due from wedding planning.
To me that's the point. If planning a wedding causes so much stress then maybe it's a signal that the two shouldn't be married, cause marriages encounter stress. OR that weddings in general are over the top and a ridiculous waste of time money and effort.

November 18, 2006, 5:52 pm CST

Another show about nightmare weddings makes me glad I have and will remain Common- Law (17 years), I have only one question Don't people actually TALK while they date anymore ?  Or do they just wait until the stress of planning a wedding is on them before they show their true colors ?

November 18, 2006, 6:44 pm CST

one thing that bothers me- ring

It may not bother everyone (This is just my opinion), but it really bothers me when a woman upgrades her engagement ring because the one her guy gave her isn't good enough or big enough.  Sure, if down the road, they decide to get a better one for an anniversary or when they can afford it, that's better. Much better than when a guy picks one out himself and the woman accepts it, only to be dissappointed on what the guy gives her, so she trades it in for something better.  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but Ithat annoys me (I knew someone who actually did that.  The guy was dissappointed the ring wasn't big enough for her).  I would've accepted anything my husband gave me with a big smile.

I'm not sure why the bride to be on the show upgraded her ring (Since I didn't watch the show yet- just read the description), but thought I'd bring up my opinion on the subject anyways :).

November 18, 2006, 8:11 pm CST

I agree that there are two sides to the story but at the same time if they are bickering and not on the same page,they do not need to be planning a wedding because chances are the bickering will go right along with them into the marriage,and then chances are, the marriage will end. man, my husabnd and I was so anxious to be together, we just about cancelled the wedding and eloped, that would have been pretty cool,LOL if only Weddings and marriages are not suppose to be stressful, they are suppose to be joyous. If only husbands and wives could actually learn to work together instead of against each other, Gonna go spend some quality time with the hubby, he might not be perfect but man,I am one lucky wife and to be able to look back on my wedding day and rejoice in that day is awesome, for it was  dream come true, nothing close to being a nightmare. To anyone planning a wedding, be joyful, not stressed, you'll be glad you were, jotpus that is.

November 19, 2006, 5:03 pm CST

You Never Know

I really hope that this couple will move past the tension of the planning of the wedding and remember how fun it was to fall in love.  I don't think that any of us can pretend to think we know the story behind this relationship based on a brief synopsis placed on the web, presumably, by the people who are airing the show.  I think if I were out on a weekend and met Jamie I would certainly be interested and Mike looks like a nice enough fella, ..... what else do I know? The point would be that if I did meet Mike or Jamie on the street or out on a weekend I wouldn't know anything more than what I saw or heard.   Lets watch the show and see if there is any Paul Harvey here.........  we could all use the rest of the story before we judge anyone......  Don't ya think?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last