Message Boards

Topic : 03/30 Nightmare Brides and Grooms

Number of Replies: 435
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:52:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/21/06) Contemporary weddings have turned into five-star productions, with couples pulling out all the stops to shine on their special day. But what happens when the bride- or groom-to-be starts making diva-like demands? Mike and Jamie agreed to a small Vegas wedding, but that went out the window when Jamie switched her gown three times, rented a limo to drive her one block and upgraded her engagement ring. Mike says that Jamie also made him un-invite all of his friends and cancel his bachelor party! Are Jamie’s antics a hint of what’s to come in their marriage? Then, Nastassia complains that her husband-to-be, Richard, is cheap. She says he wants her to buy bridal flowers from the grocery store, have her mom sew her gown and even schedule the wedding before year's end so he can get a tax write-off! Will Richard’s tightwad ways force Nastassia to call off the wedding?  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 21, 2006, 7:43 am CST

wow

ive been married 3 times and not one of the weddings was about me, i always thought the wedding was about the bride,maybe that explanes why ive been married 3 times hahaha, wow maybe its about both the bride and groom, 50-50 hmmmm could be

November 21, 2006, 7:44 am CST

When you don't know.....

Richard is a good man and Stassi knows it.  He has bought a house for them to share and I'm sure the counseling offered will help them be better as a couple and as friends.  But when you make comments about an hour show...try to be realistic...you don't know these people.  Rich is my brother-in-law.  He is the most emotional of the three brothers (I got the one who isn't) and he has had REAL problems to deal with. The loss of his mother in Oct. has been a double edged sword of feelings for him.  His controlling issues and ideas of love come from what I believe is a form of self preservation based on his upbringing.  He is remarkably sensitive for a man coming from his situation.  He has a very firm grasp on what is fiscally responsible and I think you do what you're good at when you see things going amiss.  He has a beautiful daughter to care for and he is very protective of her.  He won't let her see them in the same bed until they are married and thats the main reason he wanted to marry sooner, the tax write off was just another perk.  But thats not WHY he wants to marry her, he's just practical.  He is a wonderful person.  I think one of the keys to successful marriage is marrying someone who understands who you are.  All the COWBOYS in the house say "YEAH!!!" We love you Rich.

November 21, 2006, 7:46 am CST

This is insane

The first groom should have ran like the devil was nipping at his heels!!  When my husband and I got  decided to get married it was because we wanted to commit our lives to one another for ever and ever, it was because I wanted to say "Hey look at me"!!!!!

We sort of eloped to Gatlinburg, TN the families knew we were getting married but they also knew we wanted to be alone when we did it.

My Mom had given me the engagement ring that my Daddy bought her in 1968 and even though my husband offered to buy me a new ring I said No way!! our wedding rings were $250 each.   My Mom helped me pick out a lovely dress at Ross ($30) and I bought a new hat for $10 at the shoe store.  My husband said I looked BEAUTIFUL!!    we were maried in a pretty chapel by a Baptist Minister and we both cried it was the best day ever.

We spent about a $1000 total but we stayed in a GORGEOUS hotel, ate like kings and saw all the sights.  Now two and a half years and one child later.  I am still just as in love with my husband as I was the day we married.

November 21, 2006, 8:04 am CST

Nightmare Brides and Grooms

One things for sure, when it comes to getting married, it should be about the marriage, not just  about how much money can two people spend on material things. Its about the couple and their love for each other.

When it comes to making decisions about purchases, its not bad to consider whats affordable and what isn't. You do not have to go to the extreme, but be careful in your decision making about what should you buy and what should you not buy.

As a newly wed, I am learning about money and investments and how to spend it wisely.

There is nothing wrong with it.

When my husband and I got married, we did not have all the money for a big glamorous wedding. We helped each other out with paying for things and then we discussed with our wedding party members about their financial situations and we worked things out and we had a nice small wedding. It was wonderful and I could not be happier than the day I got married.

November 21, 2006, 8:15 am CST

11/21 Nightmare Brides and Grooms

Did anyone else think Nastassia could be Angelina Jolie's sister? The resemblence was amazing to me!   She sure needs to take a lesson from Angelina on how to stand up for herself  :)   Girl, go rent "Tomb Raider" and learn to kick some butt!

Clearly Richard has some growing up to do.  He may be older and understand more of the mechanics of balancing a budget, but he is a baby when it comes to understanding what it takes to be successfully married.  The smug smirk on his face at the end of the show doesn't bode well for this relationship (or any he would be involved in) I'm afraid.

November 21, 2006, 8:27 am CST

YESTERDAY'S SHOW/TODAY'S SHOW

Yesterday's show was an emotional roller-coaster for me.  I was devastated for the twins when it kept coming up how negatively affected they were when their step dad left. The mother stating that she divorced the step father because she was depressed after her father died just infuriated me for what it did to the twins. It just seemed so selfish on the mom's part.  I wonder about what emotional issues she may have.  Then I felt so sad that in spite of their current problems the twins shave the awareness of how the step-father's leaving is still so painful.  I have just read the transcripts of today's show and I am trying very hard to understand and have some compassion for these people.  I can't help but wonder what is going to happen if children are brought into these dysfunctional relationships? I am so thankful for the work that Dr, Phil, his family, staff and associates do because this world really really needs them, but we all have to start learning from other's mistakes, stop running our personal agendas, think about what we are doing to the next generation and if you are drawn to negative relationships, do not bring kids into the mix!

November 21, 2006, 8:36 am CST

Quote From: israelmom

Richard is a good man and Stassi knows it.  He has bought a house for them to share and I'm sure the counseling offered will help them be better as a couple and as friends.  But when you make comments about an hour show...try to be realistic...you don't know these people.  Rich is my brother-in-law.  He is the most emotional of the three brothers (I got the one who isn't) and he has had REAL problems to deal with. The loss of his mother in Oct. has been a double edged sword of feelings for him.  His controlling issues and ideas of love come from what I believe is a form of self preservation based on his upbringing.  He is remarkably sensitive for a man coming from his situation.  He has a very firm grasp on what is fiscally responsible and I think you do what you're good at when you see things going amiss.  He has a beautiful daughter to care for and he is very protective of her.  He won't let her see them in the same bed until they are married and thats the main reason he wanted to marry sooner, the tax write off was just another perk.  But thats not WHY he wants to marry her, he's just practical.  He is a wonderful person.  I think one of the keys to successful marriage is marrying someone who understands who you are.  All the COWBOYS in the house say "YEAH!!!" We love you Rich.

He probably is a "good" man, but you yourself said he "has had REAL problems to deal with".   The wise thing to do is to seek professional help for those problems before he gets married.  Too many people with emotional baggage they haven't dealt with drag it into their marriages thinking THAT will fix all their problems - wrong!  Save yourself, and more importantly - your future children, a ton of heartbreak and work on yourself before you say "I do".

November 21, 2006, 8:39 am CST

Really?

Quote From: lucky24

Did anyone else think Nastassia could be Angelina Jolie's sister? The resemblence was amazing to me!   She sure needs to take a lesson from Angelina on how to stand up for herself  :)   Girl, go rent "Tomb Raider" and learn to kick some butt!

Clearly Richard has some growing up to do.  He may be older and understand more of the mechanics of balancing a budget, but he is a baby when it comes to understanding what it takes to be successfully married.  The smug smirk on his face at the end of the show doesn't bode well for this relationship (or any he would be involved in) I'm afraid.

You're going to judge based on a facial expression?  What good is that to anyone? Neither of them has been married so yes, they are Both babies in this. Why not offer something encouraging rather than show us how bitter you are.

November 21, 2006, 8:59 am CST

I hope Richard reads this one

Richard,  please don't feel picked on.  You are not on Dr. Phil to "fix" your good points.  Of course, only the bad behaviors are going to be pointed out.  Don't worry about what the audience and America think.  You should only worry about your fiancee.  Go to therapy and make sure the marriage will work.  We don't know you -- we are not marrying you.  Take care of you and yours.

November 21, 2006, 9:11 am CST

Quote From: israelmom

You're going to judge based on a facial expression?  What good is that to anyone? Neither of them has been married so yes, they are Both babies in this. Why not offer something encouraging rather than show us how bitter you are.

I stand by my statement, that kind of smirky smug expression when someone is offering to provide the kind of assistence you need to overcome your problems does not bode well for the future of the relationships he is or will be involved in.  I sincerely hope he went home and had a change of heart and took Dr. Phil up on his offer with 100% intention of working on his issues.

Not sure how my remarks were misconstrued by you to be "bitter", for I can assure you I have no bitterness in my heart or life at all :)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last