Message Boards

Topic : 11/27 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention, Part 2

Number of Replies: 275
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 02:16:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with twin sisters who are addicted to heroin and spiraling out of control. The Dr. Phil House has become the detox center for Sarah, who is monitored medically as she goes through painful withdrawal symptoms from her addiction to crack cocaine and heroin. Her sister, Tecoa, has only been clean for two weeks, and struggles to deal with her own drug cravings while six months pregnant and providing support for her detoxing sibling. Is she able to fight off the cravings or does she give in? And, is Tecoa sabotaging Dr. Phil’s efforts to get Sarah clean? While her daughters deal with their addictions, Cindy tries to learn the fine line between supporting and enabling. Dr. Phil meets with the entire family and shows the twins a look into their future, depending on the decisions they make now. Is it enough to scare them straight? Share your thoughts here.

Please note: The on-the-street footage in this series was filmed by a concerned outside party and sent to the Dr. Phil show.  Upon receipt of this compelling video, the Dr. Phil show began immediate efforts to plan and arrange necessary interventions and inspire these young adults to get out of harm’s way.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 27, 2006, 4:53 am CST

Herion Twins

My 29yr old niece was a Herion addict.  She passed away a year and a half ago leaving behind her 1yr old Daughter.  Lauren, my niece was one of the most wonderful caring people I ever knew.  She was a teacher in L.A. and just got hooked up with the wrong people.  Lauren was an addict for a long time.  She had developed Hepititas C which can be fetal if left untreated.  Lauren did go through treatment that made her very sick but she did kick the Hepatitias but just couldn't kick the Heroin addiction.  Please, Please, get help.  Heroin does kill!!!!  When you are sober, if you relapse, it's worse every time.  Each relapse does more damage to the body than the last and sometime it may be your last time.  The body just can't take it for too long before it shuts itself down.  Heroin addicts don't realize how much their addiction affects the ones who love them forever. 

Christine

November 27, 2006, 6:05 am CST

Quote From: mymomsfun

I am so glad that someone else feels the same as I do.  Their mother decided to "check out" and let her girls raise themselves.  Now they are paying the price.   I am the mother of 2 girls 13 and 12.  I have to monitor everything they do without smothering them.  I have to say no to them when it would be much easier to say yes.  But that is what parents do!!!!   I wish more people understood that parents can't be best friends with their kids. 

Aww come one: blaming a Mom is way too easy?

It takes the true blame away from the real problem,

don't you think?  Our society has streets with

way too easy access to drugs, prostitution and

crimes?  Who supplies the drugs? who pays the

prostitutes and who was helping this Mother?

She had to work which requires sleep?

She is admitting to problems and is tormented

to no end from this!  It is way too easy to blame,

of course she made mistakes all parents do.

As of yet I have not seen the Father do what he

needed to do?  Two parents create a child!

It takes a village to raise a child!

Lets learn, look out for troubled kids and see

the real enemies out there?  huh?

November 27, 2006, 6:19 am CST

11/27 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention, Part 2

Quote From: tigeray

Hi !

I wanted to let you know about a newer treament for addiction to opiates (like heroin). I am currently in recovery from this addiction (2 years clean!!). I was in a methadone program,  but have switched to a new medication. It is called Suboxone, a combination of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a much weaker opiate, but still controls both withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Nalonxone is a drug that blocks all other opiates. If one of the girls was to take heroin while on this med., they would get very sick. The good thing about it is that it does not make one"high", you just feel "normal". It has been a Godsend for me and many other addicts, and when the time is right, much, much easier to get off of than Heroin or any other opiate. It may give them the time to get some counseling and adjust to a drug free life. It takes care of the physical addiction, the cravings, but they must be pro-active in learning to deal with the psychological issues. They are both in really bad shape, and this is just another tool, not a cure. It has helped me tremendously, but I still have to take it one day at a time.

You can find a lot more information at: suboxone.com.

Just a thought.

My prayers are with both Sarah, and Tecoah!

Tigeray

My son has been on just about every drug out there. He tried to get clean with metadone, but he was mostly a walking zombie on that.  He decided to come off of that, and he did it too fast. He said that was the absolute worst withdrawal he ever had. I wish that Suboxone had been available for him. But right now(knock wood) he's clean, but it took a 23 month prison sentence for that. So far he's been home and drug free for about 13 months. He still says though that he takes it one day at a time, and he never knows what tomorrow will bring. He says he can't say he won't ever use again, but I can hope that he won't. Good luck with your continued recovery, it looks like you will be one of the lucky ones.

November 27, 2006, 6:27 am CST

Quote From: tigeray

Hi !

I wanted to let you know about a newer treament for addiction to opiates (like heroin). I am currently in recovery from this addiction (2 years clean!!). I was in a methadone program,  but have switched to a new medication. It is called Suboxone, a combination of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a much weaker opiate, but still controls both withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Nalonxone is a drug that blocks all other opiates. If one of the girls was to take heroin while on this med., they would get very sick. The good thing about it is that it does not make one"high", you just feel "normal". It has been a Godsend for me and many other addicts, and when the time is right, much, much easier to get off of than Heroin or any other opiate. It may give them the time to get some counseling and adjust to a drug free life. It takes care of the physical addiction, the cravings, but they must be pro-active in learning to deal with the psychological issues. They are both in really bad shape, and this is just another tool, not a cure. It has helped me tremendously, but I still have to take it one day at a time.

You can find a lot more information at: suboxone.com.

Just a thought.

My prayers are with both Sarah, and Tecoah!

Tigeray

Oh My God!! I'm on the same medication.  Suboxone has saved my life and my marriage.  It is so comfronting to hear stories about suboxone working.  i am going to be a year clean Jan. 11.  I was on opiates for 8 years, taking between 5-13 pills a day.  It was the absolute the hardest thing i've ever come off of and i've done coke, meth, and pure speed.  I thank god for this medication.  it is the only reason i am here today, because i was just about to committ suicide because i couldn't "handle" my addiction anymore.  i was also in a program for almost a year for addiction, going 2 times a week.  now, i have a great job, a beautiful house and a great marriage.  all of these things i couldn't have had if i were still doing opiates.  Good luck and god bless all those on this program.

November 27, 2006, 6:36 am CST

Quote From: truckgirl77

I learned a long time ago not to put blame one persons actions, unless I've walked a mile in their shoes, because you can get stuck eating your words. These girls need to take responcibility for their own actions, without pushing glut on the parent. Education at an early age in dealing with drugs and alchol, is the only way at this point, to help stop kids from getting involoved with it. Oh, and showing an example. It's up to "everybody" as a whole to do that, not just the parent! Not many kids really listen to their parents anyway! Apparently, people don't realize the maltitude of drugs and alchol. It's right there at your family get togethers and in your home on TV. Smoking and drinking is where it all starts. How do I know? Been there done that! Getting to the root of the problem isn't easy either, the whole world would have to take a good  look in the morror. Three cheers to Dr. Phil, for opening peoples eyes to the worlds largest problem.
I have a 30 year old son who has been on just about everything ou there. For the last 3 years he has been drug free, but 2 of them he was in prison. And believe me you can get just about ANYTHING you could possibly want in prison. He says though that being in prison taught him a lesson. He never wants to go back there. But the one thing he has ALWAYS told me is "Mom don't blame yourself, there is nothing you could have done differently to stop me." I still wonder though. He says that most parents are living in denial, especially the ones who think that they know everyone their kids know and everywhere their kids go. Kids are very good at fooling their parents. Drugs are everywhere. No matter what your economic status is or what type of home life you have.  Education and trying to keep communication lines open with your kids are probably the best options. If your kids feel like they can come to you with any kind of problem then you have a better chance to get them the help they need.

November 27, 2006, 7:06 am CST

Getting Clean

Quote From: cissie88

My son has been on just about every drug out there. He tried to get clean with metadone, but he was mostly a walking zombie on that.  He decided to come off of that, and he did it too fast. He said that was the absolute worst withdrawal he ever had. I wish that Suboxone had been available for him. But right now(knock wood) he's clean, but it took a 23 month prison sentence for that. So far he's been home and drug free for about 13 months. He still says though that he takes it one day at a time, and he never knows what tomorrow will bring. He says he can't say he won't ever use again, but I can hope that he won't. Good luck with your continued recovery, it looks like you will be one of the lucky ones.

I wanted to jump in and say that for the most part I believe someone who is hooked on herion or meth or crack needs to experiance the come down.  It may in the future stop them and make them think about the experiance of that.  I think that most of the drugs to pacify them such as methadon is a crutch.  I think with the care of a doctor to maintain wellness and the act of faith it is possiable to get your life back.

November 27, 2006, 7:10 am CST

When drugs win?

I posted a reply BUT, it is just a reply, consider for a second

how much winning drugs does?  Alot!  We are all part of a society

that has drugs ruling the streets, drug dealers everyewhere, richer

hiden respectable people?  Blaming the Mother is way too easy.

Of course she made mistakes, most do, especially when they

work and need to sleep?  Where is the insulting Father? He said

Mother brought him two 'insult to his girls, insert here" , she

brought to him?  Hahaha, well where was he at through much

of this? Wasn't it said he took them for a bit? Gave them up for

a lost cause?  Why would you be so hard on a Mom that admits

to mistakes and so incredibly hurt seeing her daughters messed

up like that?  Many factors play a role in raising children? Income

can dictate a bad or good neighborhood, work hours, other parents

help and the peer problems.  A parent can't always watch kids.

Lets forget the blame game for a minute and put our thoughts into

the many self-injurers like these two girls and stop letting our

political leaders dictate what subjects we really wanted on the ballots

instead?  Get more help to single Mothers that have missing fathers in the

childrens lives?  Get more police out there to crack down on drugs and

when they do pick up a young addict like this, get them clean and in

healthy programs?  Have more avenues for someone like this Mom

to get more hlep?  Next generation on the way will probably be born addicted?

The Mom aint perfect and has faults, many do!

Those girls are in trouble-----THATS THE ISSUE, whats the reasons?

November 27, 2006, 8:16 am CST

It's just sad.

It's so sad that these girls have chosen to live like this for so long.  The thing that bothers me the most is when you not only hurting yourself but someone else.  A Baby.  The mom to be chose the drugs, drinking and smoking but the baby didn't.  I know you should never question why things happen the way they do but it's very hard when something like this happens.  She doesn't even realize how fortunate she is by being able to have a baby.  This really is so sad to me because we have lost two babies since December of 2005.  Here we want another baby so bad and try to do all the right things and then here is a girl that doesn't really seem to care about anyone but herself.  Do you think if she went to a hospital where there are babies fighting to stay alive because their mother was on drugs it would make a difference?  If she continues to keep doing what she is, will she beable to keep the baby?  The baby really deserves better then that.  I really to hope and pray that these girls will wake up and look at the life they have been given and do something good with it. 

November 27, 2006, 8:17 am CST

I am lost

Dr. Phil,

How can you put so much time and effort into Sarah, her drug addiction and the mental and physical problems that go along with it with Tecoa in the house with her???? Tecoa admittedly took heroin while she was pregnant so she has no real concern for her baby and you have her in a house with Sarah, when Sarah is 'trying' to get straght? It seems to me tnat you have an explosive group over there in that house! I have no experience with herion, but know a few people that do and one of the people told me is to never believe an addict when they are trying to get 'cool'. NEVER! Good luck, Dr. Phil, with this one ... I wouldn't trade places with you for love nor money! And if it is worth it, good luck to Sarah and Tecoa with the monkey on their back! I think this one needs a check in a year to see whats up! ALSO, I would like to know about the biological father. That might shed some light on the whole situation.

God bless and good luck!

Cathy from Ohio

November 27, 2006, 8:21 am CST

Surviving

As a former addict, I can tell you that the detox process was one of the worst experiences of my life.  I have been sober now for 6 years and I have learned that feeling the pains of life lets me know that  i'm alive.  I still have to take it one day at a time and still have struggles with wanting to do drugs. I think that if you have never experienced the evils of drugs, it's easy to expect someone to be a text book in detox. It is only when that person is truly tired of the drugs that they want more for themselves. I went into a program that dealt with the ills of detox as well as the emotional and psychological aspects of it. I learned so much from the process. I hurt myself, my family, and friends. I wasn't happy with myself. I had so much pain from my past that it was the only way I felt I could deal with it. I knew if I didn't get the help I would die and that scared the hell out of me. I didn't want to die but, I was on the slow and painful road to death. These girls are beautiful and they need to know that.  I commend the twins for taking the first step, and that's to get the help. It's hard to admit you have a problem let alone a drug problem so, I want them to know that they can do this. I believe in them.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last