Message Boards

Topic : 11/27 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention, Part 2

Number of Replies: 275
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 02:16:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with twin sisters who are addicted to heroin and spiraling out of control. The Dr. Phil House has become the detox center for Sarah, who is monitored medically as she goes through painful withdrawal symptoms from her addiction to crack cocaine and heroin. Her sister, Tecoa, has only been clean for two weeks, and struggles to deal with her own drug cravings while six months pregnant and providing support for her detoxing sibling. Is she able to fight off the cravings or does she give in? And, is Tecoa sabotaging Dr. Phil’s efforts to get Sarah clean? While her daughters deal with their addictions, Cindy tries to learn the fine line between supporting and enabling. Dr. Phil meets with the entire family and shows the twins a look into their future, depending on the decisions they make now. Is it enough to scare them straight? Share your thoughts here.

Please note: The on-the-street footage in this series was filmed by a concerned outside party and sent to the Dr. Phil show.  Upon receipt of this compelling video, the Dr. Phil show began immediate efforts to plan and arrange necessary interventions and inspire these young adults to get out of harm’s way.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 27, 2006, 8:25 am CST

ME TOO!!

Quote From: misty12181

Oh My God!! I'm on the same medication.  Suboxone has saved my life and my marriage.  It is so comfronting to hear stories about suboxone working.  i am going to be a year clean Jan. 11.  I was on opiates for 8 years, taking between 5-13 pills a day.  It was the absolute the hardest thing i've ever come off of and i've done coke, meth, and pure speed.  I thank god for this medication.  it is the only reason i am here today, because i was just about to committ suicide because i couldn't "handle" my addiction anymore.  i was also in a program for almost a year for addiction, going 2 times a week.  now, i have a great job, a beautiful house and a great marriage.  all of these things i couldn't have had if i were still doing opiates.  Good luck and god bless all those on this program.
I too am on the same medication Suboxone!!!  It has also saved me from the horror of what the hell the drugs will do to you.  I am only going on two months clean from abusing pain medication.  I started out like a normal person with a servere back disk problem, but  instead of the pills making me fell foggy, they gave me eneregy and I liked the way it made me feel.  I was hesitant at first with the Suboxone, but after doing a lot of research and found that many users often relaspe without anything, I spoke with an addition center and they recommended this doctor along with their intensive out patient program.  This is truely the best thing that has happened to my life.  I have seen other people in my program trying to go it with out nothing and they are struggling like never before.  I too pray for both Twins and the many of thousands that are currently in the same situation!!  I don't understand though why, they are waiting soo long to help Sarah with her withdrawls??  Even on the Suboxone, she is still going to suffer physical pain with the withdrawls.  Since I have experienced this nightmare in my life, I hope to go back to school and get my degree so I can help others because opioids seem to be here to stay since a alot of doctors  give them out like candy!  They are there for the asking????  Many people do not know that there is any other help out there other than methedone and I hope that this will spread the work that there is another safer and better drug call SUBOXNOE!!  Good Luck to you all!! 

November 27, 2006, 8:28 am CST

11/27 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention, Part 2

I saw the show last monday and today.  I just want to say  that these girls are going to die if they dont take this help from dr. phil...Teenagers now days dont realize the dangers of doing drugs...I personally think that schools should show these girls and what drugs to do to their students. I certainly hope that Dr. Phil can help these girls. I am 20 years old and if I said I had never done drugs I'd be lying. However I have never done herion. Mostly smoked pot and I am trying to overcome my own addiction to pot. And watching Dr. Phil and these girls is really helping me.

November 27, 2006, 8:35 am CST

Quote From: shetypes

Aww come one: blaming a Mom is way too easy?

It takes the true blame away from the real problem,

don't you think?  Our society has streets with

way too easy access to drugs, prostitution and

crimes?  Who supplies the drugs? who pays the

prostitutes and who was helping this Mother?

She had to work which requires sleep?

She is admitting to problems and is tormented

to no end from this!  It is way too easy to blame,

of course she made mistakes all parents do.

As of yet I have not seen the Father do what he

needed to do?  Two parents create a child!

It takes a village to raise a child!

Lets learn, look out for troubled kids and see

the real enemies out there?  huh?

I agree. You can't blame the parent for the choices the girls made.  I am a former addict and it would have been easy for me to put the blame on my parents but, it wasn't their fault. I had loving, caring parents. You can't be with your children 24/7. I straight up have let my children know what drugs did to me and they know what my addiction did to them. It's sad but, it's the truth.  I have 2 wonderful kids who I can say don't do drugs and have no desire to do them. Until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes you have no idea of what they are going through.

November 27, 2006, 9:01 am CST

Life is not over but just starting

As a sister of someone who has had a herion problem, I wish you both all the hope and blessings God has in store for you.  You now can chose this as new start in life.  God uses us in all different ways and this is his way for you. Be patient, blessed and full of the knowledge that God has a bigger plan for you then the life you where leading.  The world is saying a prayer for you, with hopes that you may become well in your spirt and in your mind. I pray that you can heal the pain that has been hiding within your soul for a long while now. May God help you find your peace, and place in this world.............GOD BLESS YOU and know that he is always with you on the tough road ahead. God never said the path to rightousness was going to be easy but all you can do is try. 

The seed you plant will be the harvest you reep.  Use this time to plant a seed of wellness to reep the harvest God has in store for you.

November 27, 2006, 9:16 am CST

BEEN THERE; DONE THAT!!

I HAVE BEEN THROUGH WHAT THIS MOTHER (CINDY) IS GOING THROUGH WITH MY OWN DAUGHTER-WHO IS 23 YRS OLD.  AND IF ANY OF YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE THINK YOU CAN STOP THEM WHEN THEY DECIDE THEY WANT TO DO DRUGS; THEN BE MY GUEST AND STEP UP TO THE PLATE!!!!  IT DROVE ME INSANE; I WAS SO UPSET I LOST ALMOST 60LBS OVER ALL OF IT-AND IN THE END; THERE WASN'T A D--- THING I COULD DO ABOUT IT.
FINALLY; WHEN SHE HIT ROCK BOTTOM, AND ADMITTED HERSELF INTO REHAB, I GOT HELP I NEEDED ALSO!  I REALIZED THEN, THAT I WAS NOT TO BLAME; AND IF I BLAMED MYSELF ALL I WAS DOING WAS ENABLEING HER!  THERE WAS NO POSSIBLE WAY I COULD STOP HER; FIRST OF ALL BECAUSE OF HER AGE-SHE COULD HAVE ENDED UP TAKING OFF AND I NEVER WOULD HAVE KNOWN WHERE SHE WAS.  I'M NOT SAYING I CONDONED IT FOR THAT REASON; NOT IN THE LEAST.  I'M JUST SAYING DUE TO HER AGE, I COULD  NOT DO A THING.  EXCEPT; I DID TURN IN SOME OF THE DEALERS I KNEW SHE WAS GETTING IT FROM-THAT WAS ALL I FELT LIKE I COULD DO!!
FINALLY; WITH THE HELP OF MY COUNSELOR, I REALIZED ALL MY TEARS AND BEGGING WAS NOT WORKING-SO I HAD TO PUT ALL MY FAITH INTO GOD; AND BEG HIM TO WATCH OVER HER AND KEEP HER SAFE.  I ALSO SPOKE TO MY MOM & IN-LAWS & FOSTER FATHER THT HAD ALREADY PASSED AWAY, AND ASKED THEM TO PLEASE KEEP AN EYE ON HER AND KEEP HER SAFE.  NOBODY KNOWS, UNLESS YOU'VE GONE THRU IT HOW MUCH IT TEARS YOUR HEART OUT!  BESIDES FOR BEING A CRACK ADDICT, SHE IS BIPOLAR-AND HAD BEEN MIXING THE DRUG WITH HER MEDS; UNTIL SHE JUST GAVE UP HER MEDS ALL TOGETHER.
I ALSO AM BIPOLAR; SO I WAS TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF, AND TRYING LIKE CRAZY TO TAKE CARE OF HER ALSO-AND YA KNOW WHAT; IT WASN'T WORKING VERY GOOD.  SHE IS BIPOLAR 1 AND I AM BIPOLAR 2; SO SHE IS ON LITHIUM-NOT A DRUG TO BE MESSING AROUND WITH.  EVERY NIGHT I WENT TO BED; I BEGGED GOD THAT NOT BE THE NIGHT I GET A CALL FROM THE HOSPITAL OR POLICE THAT MY DAUGHTER WAS DEAD OR OVERDOSED; BUT I JUST COULDN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE.
WHEN SHE FINALLY WANTED TO  GET CLEAN; I WAS THERE FOR EVERY MEETING-EVERY CLASS-EVERY FUNCTION THEY HAD UP AT REHAB; NO MATTER IF I HAD TO WALK.  I JUST WANTED HER TO KNOW I WAS BEHIND HER 100%; SO PLEASE; DON'T BLAME CINDY-IT'S HARD ENOUGH ON A PARENT TO WATCH THEIR CHILDREN AND KNOW THERE'S NOT A DARN THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!
I PRAY FOR THIS FAMILY THAT EVERYTHING WORKS OUT 100% FOR THEM, BUT I KNOW IT'S GONNA TAKE ALOT OF WORK; AND I FEEL SO SORRY FOR THAT BABY THAT DID NOT ASK TO BE BROUGHT INTO THIS WORLD LIKE THIS!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
HEREN44

November 27, 2006, 10:44 am CST

Quote From: sharonvoit

I too am on the same medication Suboxone!!!  It has also saved me from the horror of what the hell the drugs will do to you.  I am only going on two months clean from abusing pain medication.  I started out like a normal person with a servere back disk problem, but  instead of the pills making me fell foggy, they gave me eneregy and I liked the way it made me feel.  I was hesitant at first with the Suboxone, but after doing a lot of research and found that many users often relaspe without anything, I spoke with an addition center and they recommended this doctor along with their intensive out patient program.  This is truely the best thing that has happened to my life.  I have seen other people in my program trying to go it with out nothing and they are struggling like never before.  I too pray for both Twins and the many of thousands that are currently in the same situation!!  I don't understand though why, they are waiting soo long to help Sarah with her withdrawls??  Even on the Suboxone, she is still going to suffer physical pain with the withdrawls.  Since I have experienced this nightmare in my life, I hope to go back to school and get my degree so I can help others because opioids seem to be here to stay since a alot of doctors  give them out like candy!  They are there for the asking????  Many people do not know that there is any other help out there other than methedone and I hope that this will spread the work that there is another safer and better drug call SUBOXNOE!!  Good Luck to you all!! 
I too was perscribed subutex then suboxone for an oxycontin addiction.  My husband was hurt on the job and was put on oxy's.  We struggled for 3 years with going thru withdraws and trying to maintain a functioning life style with out asking for help.  When we finally did we was put on subutex at first and then suboxone it was a miracle drug so I thought.  Once our insurance ran out because my husband got a good job and we made to much money for the state insurance we had to go off it and let me tell you it was just as bad as the oxy's methadone, or herion.  I have been thru withdraws from all of them and trust me it was just as bad.  Now I am not trying to scare you guys, but I also don't want you to be mislead.  I am still struggling with the addiction I buy methadone off the street and we each take just one pill a day or sometimes just a half.  I hope one day to be free of this evil cycle.  Your right about the doctors giving it to anyone.  If they would have never gave my husband oxy's back in 2000 we would be fine.  My best friend was also put on them and she is now dead at the age of 27 and left 3 kids behind.  I pray for everyone who is going thru this hell.   Good luck to everyone.

November 27, 2006, 10:49 am CST

Quote From: sharonvoit

well sweetie, i can tell you that the suboxone "program" only gets better.  after two months i felt great, but after almost a year, i'm COMPLETELY different.  before, i couldn't even be in the same room with hydrocodones (tabs, lorcets, etc) but now i can see them and i don't almost have a panic attack.  i will make sure to keep you in my prayers.  i don't know about you, but this was an answer to many prayers for me.  some people looked down on me for getting on them.  they said i was switching one drug for another, but what they don't understand is that it was either suboxone or death.  i wish you the best of luck and send many prayers your way.

November 27, 2006, 11:45 am CST

No magic pill

First of all, I want to thank you all for your kind words and prayers. I am a very strong Christian and were it not for my faith in Christ, I do not believe I would be here today. I battle Fibromyaligia and Lupus, so pain is a part of my exsistance and I must accept that. But I have learned this: narcotic pain meds should never be used for chronic conditions-ever, even if one is not pre-disposed to addiction, they are just too dangerous.

And heroin is another opiate- illegal, of course- but the effects are the same. I believe that both of the girls are just too prone to relapse in going "cold turkey". I was addicted to pain meds for eight years, and one does not recover from that overnight. It has been a gradual "step down" process that has worked for me. The beauty of the Suboxone progam is that if you take opiates in any form while taking  Suboxone, the Nalexone in it will block whatever you take (heroin, vicodin,oxy, etc..) and send you into withdrawal. So really you are physically incapable of relapsing. My ultimate goal is to get off the Suboxone, but right now I am not ready- I know that, I am ok with that. I believe it will happen someday.

But it is still not a magic pill!!! I know it is incredibly expensive ($300-400 per month on avg.)and if you don't have insurance, you might as well forget it unless you are pretty wealthy. I still have to undergo random drug screenings, and take active part in counseling. My faith has helped me tremendously, as has my family. You have to learn to live clean, take care of your body, and consider yourself worth it. It takes ALL of these tools to recover. And most of all, I remember this: I will be in recovery for the rest of my life. The minute you consider yourself "fully recovered", you open the door to relapse. There is no easy way, but I can tell you, the process is worth it.

God bless you all!!!

Theresa- always recovering :)

November 27, 2006, 12:19 pm CST

heroin addicts

Of all the Dr. Phil shows, this series is the most gruesome. I couldn't even watch the first episode all the way through. This drug addiction is just the sympton of an emotional wreck on the inside, and I just don't see these twins kicking the habit, despite all Dr. Phil's efforts. I hope there is a follow up show a year from now and both twins are still alive.

November 27, 2006, 12:52 pm CST

Life Is Worth Living

I feel sry for these twins because they do not realize that life is worth living. As a mother I hope that my children would not  go that way but even if they did I would be there for them just like their mom is.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last