Message Boards

Topic : 11/27 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention, Part 2

Number of Replies: 275
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 02:16:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with twin sisters who are addicted to heroin and spiraling out of control. The Dr. Phil House has become the detox center for Sarah, who is monitored medically as she goes through painful withdrawal symptoms from her addiction to crack cocaine and heroin. Her sister, Tecoa, has only been clean for two weeks, and struggles to deal with her own drug cravings while six months pregnant and providing support for her detoxing sibling. Is she able to fight off the cravings or does she give in? And, is Tecoa sabotaging Dr. Phil’s efforts to get Sarah clean? While her daughters deal with their addictions, Cindy tries to learn the fine line between supporting and enabling. Dr. Phil meets with the entire family and shows the twins a look into their future, depending on the decisions they make now. Is it enough to scare them straight? Share your thoughts here.

Please note: The on-the-street footage in this series was filmed by a concerned outside party and sent to the Dr. Phil show.  Upon receipt of this compelling video, the Dr. Phil show began immediate efforts to plan and arrange necessary interventions and inspire these young adults to get out of harm’s way.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 21, 2006, 5:46 pm CST

eye-opening

I watched the show yesterday, and was just shocked at what I saw.  I think that ALL schools should show this video to students, starting very young (It doesn't matter if it's graphic...maybe that would shock and scare them enough NOT to even start using...I know it scared the heck out of me!)  I remember seeing a video at school that showed drug addicts (one was foaming at the mouth).  That was 20 years ago, and I can promise you that I remember much of what that video showed.  But this show would be even more effective, because it shows these girls as real people, who had an ordinary childhood.  It shows that it can happen to anyone.

I pray that these girls would truly see where their lives are going, and that they would find the strength they need to get clean and stay clean.  This might help (it helped me ALOT):

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Phillipians 4:13)

Repeat this over and over, and know that you are NOT alone in this.  I pray that they would have peace and healing in their lives.

November 22, 2006, 12:06 pm CST

I agree...

Quote From: mrbestave69

I watched the show yesterday, and was just shocked at what I saw.  I think that ALL schools should show this video to students, starting very young (It doesn't matter if it's graphic...maybe that would shock and scare them enough NOT to even start using...I know it scared the heck out of me!)  I remember seeing a video at school that showed drug addicts (one was foaming at the mouth).  That was 20 years ago, and I can promise you that I remember much of what that video showed.  But this show would be even more effective, because it shows these girls as real people, who had an ordinary childhood.  It shows that it can happen to anyone.

I pray that these girls would truly see where their lives are going, and that they would find the strength they need to get clean and stay clean.  This might help (it helped me ALOT):

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Phillipians 4:13)

Repeat this over and over, and know that you are NOT alone in this.  I pray that they would have peace and healing in their lives.

I've been watching Dr Phil and Oprah forever, and Im only 16. While you cant force kids to watch them each afternoon to teach them things I really think that playing transcripts of real people suffering with any addictions is vital. I think many kids get involved mostly because they dont know any better. In health class while you're informed of the risks of these behaviours it just doesnt sink in. I know that I remember minimal information I learned in my health classes and that was just a few short years ago. And another thing is parents. You can be an assertive parent and set boundaries for your kids while still being their friend. Tell your kids the truth. Show them these kind of videos. Dont be hard on them. Tell a kid No and they will do it we all know that. Informing your kids is the best way I think to avoid them getting involved with drugs. When it comes to being pressured they wont remember " No, I shouldn't my parents told me no" . They will remember the things they see and hopefully they will have no desire to be in the kind of state these girls are in.

November 22, 2006, 1:15 pm CST

11/27 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention, Part 2

well   drugs are evil and we need to show our kids in school. what drugs can do to you and that they can kill you!   if we don't alot of kids will get on drugs  and end up messing there life up.  only God can help them. thats why we need to  pray for them! 

November 25, 2006, 1:20 pm CST

A New treatment for opioid dependance

Hi !

I wanted to let you know about a newer treament for addiction to opiates (like heroin). I am currently in recovery from this addiction (2 years clean!!). I was in a methadone program,  but have switched to a new medication. It is called Suboxone, a combination of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a much weaker opiate, but still controls both withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Nalonxone is a drug that blocks all other opiates. If one of the girls was to take heroin while on this med., they would get very sick. The good thing about it is that it does not make one"high", you just feel "normal". It has been a Godsend for me and many other addicts, and when the time is right, much, much easier to get off of than Heroin or any other opiate. It may give them the time to get some counseling and adjust to a drug free life. It takes care of the physical addiction, the cravings, but they must be pro-active in learning to deal with the psychological issues. They are both in really bad shape, and this is just another tool, not a cure. It has helped me tremendously, but I still have to take it one day at a time.

You can find a lot more information at: suboxone.com.

Just a thought.

My prayers are with both Sarah, and Tecoah!

Tigeray

November 25, 2006, 4:03 pm CST

What was their mother THINKING!

Quote From: brittie222

I've been watching Dr Phil and Oprah forever, and Im only 16. While you cant force kids to watch them each afternoon to teach them things I really think that playing transcripts of real people suffering with any addictions is vital. I think many kids get involved mostly because they dont know any better. In health class while you're informed of the risks of these behaviours it just doesnt sink in. I know that I remember minimal information I learned in my health classes and that was just a few short years ago. And another thing is parents. You can be an assertive parent and set boundaries for your kids while still being their friend. Tell your kids the truth. Show them these kind of videos. Dont be hard on them. Tell a kid No and they will do it we all know that. Informing your kids is the best way I think to avoid them getting involved with drugs. When it comes to being pressured they wont remember " No, I shouldn't my parents told me no" . They will remember the things they see and hopefully they will have no desire to be in the kind of state these girls are in.
This mother has to face the fact that she neglected these girls and did not give them any limits or any punishments!  She said she didn't know what the girls were doing when they were younger teenagers because they came home after she (mom) was asleep.  HELLLOOOO??? how can you go to bed when your young girls are out and you don't know where they are or what they are doing?  Mom needs to take the responsibility too for not being a good mother to her daughters.  Kids need love and discipline.  A parent can't let them come and go as they please with whomever they want and hope for the best.  I hope she is taking responsibility for her lack of discipline in this whole mess.  Kids will remember getting restricted or getting sent to a boot camp environment. leaving them on the streets - she could have been charged with child neglect or negligence.

November 25, 2006, 6:36 pm CST

God Bless

I am not a mother but a sister who has watched my brother fall apart physically as well as mentally from all the drugs he has taken in his life...He is addicted to alcohol as well as was other drugs..I am not sure that he has totally gotten off of all them...My father died at the ripe age of 23 years old...I do not remember him...I heart goes out to these girls and I pray that they will turn their lives around before the lose their lives and their mother loses two precious daughters.... May god be with you and you twins use the right choice to save that unborn spirit that is growning inside you...I will be thinking about you....

November 25, 2006, 7:43 pm CST

Statistics?

I am just wondering what the statistics are on recovery from these drugs? I know that people can overcome crack addiction, but from everything that I have read, and seen on heroin addiction, it is not something that can be overcome. I feel so bad for these girls, but I can't help but think that this situation looks quite hopeless...

I just think that the effects of heroin use are so severe that recovery is almost impossible.

MikiC

November 25, 2006, 7:54 pm CST

New Hope?

Quote From: tigeray

Hi !

I wanted to let you know about a newer treament for addiction to opiates (like heroin). I am currently in recovery from this addiction (2 years clean!!). I was in a methadone program,  but have switched to a new medication. It is called Suboxone, a combination of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a much weaker opiate, but still controls both withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Nalonxone is a drug that blocks all other opiates. If one of the girls was to take heroin while on this med., they would get very sick. The good thing about it is that it does not make one"high", you just feel "normal". It has been a Godsend for me and many other addicts, and when the time is right, much, much easier to get off of than Heroin or any other opiate. It may give them the time to get some counseling and adjust to a drug free life. It takes care of the physical addiction, the cravings, but they must be pro-active in learning to deal with the psychological issues. They are both in really bad shape, and this is just another tool, not a cure. It has helped me tremendously, but I still have to take it one day at a time.

You can find a lot more information at: suboxone.com.

Just a thought.

My prayers are with both Sarah, and Tecoah!

Tigeray

God bless you in your journey. Congratulations on your recovery progress. I believe that what you said about being pro-active in learning is the key.

I just don't know how many others are truely pro-active...

or if these girls are ready for this step.

My prayers are also with these girls.

MikiC

November 25, 2006, 7:58 pm CST

It is sad

I just want to say that I had some friends I really cared about . I watched what happened to them I was no angel and feel very lucky that I was spared there fate . It took sometime and I had people that cared and loved me so when I hit rock bottom there was a hand to help pull me out .It was tough yet it has been worth the work I but into it .The sad thing is that most of the friends I cared about are dead . I miss them and think about them they weren't bad people they were lost I hope these twins find there way in life and not to the grave !

November 25, 2006, 10:17 pm CST

11/27 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention, Part 2

I'm sure that these videos will help show the truth of the destruction of drugs to many people. But I wanted to jump out of my skin when she filmed one of the girls shooting up another girl for the first time with heroin, and not doing or saying anything to try to stop her. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last