Message Boards

Topic : Is This Normal Social Discussion

Number of Replies: 6506
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:19:11 pm
Author : dataimport
Friends from the Dr. Phil Is This Normal folder socialize and share their lives.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2009, 4:57 am CDT

Neecie

I love your Erin.  "Would you like marshmallows with that courage?"  How amazing.

Funny thing.  The other day I was going through an old file cabinet I have here in a closet.  As you may have seen from my post to JP, on August 13th I'm booked into the hospital for eye surgery and going under anaesthesia and She of the Feather Boa is coming to stay with me for a couple of days and well... you know how that is... I want to clean up a few things just in case ...

So I'm going through my old "Shannon files" where I have everything on paper from the day she was born.  Cards congratulating me on her birth, old report cards, first drawings ever taped on the fridge, and I come across a little note she wrote to me when she was about seven years old.  It's on an old faded piece of lined paper, written in green marker and reads:

"Dear Mom

Do you like the cats?

Or do you like them so so?

Or do you think there poop heads?

Sign here

Check mark the box to the one you like the best and bring it back."

Below are three boxes.  One reads, "yes I do like them", another reads, "i like them so so" and the third reads "i think there poop heads".

And scrawled in huge capital letters is "send back as soon as posable".

Thinking back on that now, I'm pretty sure she wrote it after one of those overwhelming days I'd had, a single parent trying to raise a child I loved more than anything and the two kittens I got to keep her company who were probably wreaking havoc.  I checked off the first and third boxes.

Your indecision regarding your future is understandable and as I've already stated, there is no doubt in my mind that you will find the right way.  You have so many choices - just take your time and like JP said, breathe.

Kids are amazing but they are just that, kids.  They need marshmallows and courage too.

xoxo

July 25, 2009, 9:45 am CDT

Yay!!

Good stuff Trace! As always. =)

I'm so glad you are having your eyes done finally! Good for you!!

I like the kitty note. Ok so sit down and take a deep breath.....you will never ever guess what......

I ALMOST got a cat.

OMG, do you know how crazy that is?? But I went for rabbit supplies to the local Pet Smart and the shelter had kitties for adoption there. Awwww.....there were two full grown kitties I wanted to badly. One was what they called a 'foreclosure' kitty. His people had lost their home and couldn't keep him anymore. He was huge and beautiful grey and white named Grayson. The other was a kitty named Olivia that's people had been bad to her and left her out in the freezing weather and she crawled up in a warm car motor and it nearly ate her up. She was healed up, but lost her babies due to the accident. Both cats were suffering from depression. =(  But I wanted to bring them home so badly!!

*sigh* Grayson had people already working on adopting him. And Olivia, well she bit and scratched all over the lady who was handling her when she tried to get her out of the kennel cage. =(  But she would come to me and let me tickle between her ears.

I did not have $200 to get one of them, needless to say both of them would have been $400. =(  But....I suspect it may happen after we get moved completely to Houston. Dunno.....but OMG it is progress!!!!!  I told Raj we might get a cat. He was speechless. hehe 

Sooooo....ok everyone how long has Ruthe been on facebook? I just found her today in the friends request thingy. =/  AWESOME!!   Trace my dear you just have to do that hon!!!!!!  pweeeeeeese! ;)

Oh and dearest, Raj has gout in one of his feet. I cannot imagine what you suffer. He is either a giant baby (I've seen him cry literally his foot was in so much pain) or that is the most excrutiating pain. He could not walk without crutches to help. He takes medication all the time for it. Bad stuff.

Nothing like being famous for medical phenomenons!! ;P

So good to see you!

Hugs,

~Ami

xoxo

July 25, 2009, 2:47 pm CDT

Ami

Quote From: mewjag

Good stuff Trace! As always. =)

I'm so glad you are having your eyes done finally! Good for you!!

I like the kitty note. Ok so sit down and take a deep breath.....you will never ever guess what......

I ALMOST got a cat.

OMG, do you know how crazy that is?? But I went for rabbit supplies to the local Pet Smart and the shelter had kitties for adoption there. Awwww.....there were two full grown kitties I wanted to badly. One was what they called a 'foreclosure' kitty. His people had lost their home and couldn't keep him anymore. He was huge and beautiful grey and white named Grayson. The other was a kitty named Olivia that's people had been bad to her and left her out in the freezing weather and she crawled up in a warm car motor and it nearly ate her up. She was healed up, but lost her babies due to the accident. Both cats were suffering from depression. =(  But I wanted to bring them home so badly!!

*sigh* Grayson had people already working on adopting him. And Olivia, well she bit and scratched all over the lady who was handling her when she tried to get her out of the kennel cage. =(  But she would come to me and let me tickle between her ears.

I did not have $200 to get one of them, needless to say both of them would have been $400. =(  But....I suspect it may happen after we get moved completely to Houston. Dunno.....but OMG it is progress!!!!!  I told Raj we might get a cat. He was speechless. hehe 

Sooooo....ok everyone how long has Ruthe been on facebook? I just found her today in the friends request thingy. =/  AWESOME!!   Trace my dear you just have to do that hon!!!!!!  pweeeeeeese! ;)

Oh and dearest, Raj has gout in one of his feet. I cannot imagine what you suffer. He is either a giant baby (I've seen him cry literally his foot was in so much pain) or that is the most excrutiating pain. He could not walk without crutches to help. He takes medication all the time for it. Bad stuff.

Nothing like being famous for medical phenomenons!! ;P

So good to see you!

Hugs,

Ami

xoxo

The pain of gout is indescribable.  At its worst you can't move, can't bear anything touching you.  Not even a sheet covering you up.  It ranks right up there with labour pains, only it's worse because you have nothing to show for it when it subsides.  If Raj is crying I truly understand.  Hopefully his doctor has put him on Allopurinol and Colchicine.

About cats.  It is with much hesitation that I tell you this for fear that you think I've been hasty in my decision.  It's just that,  with Shannon and Mia Jade and Loki moving out (even though they're only two floors down) and then having to put Rocky to sleep ... and then Franco dying so suddenly ... it was so lonely here.  No one to greet me when I come home.  I still have my huge aquarium with seven-year-old fish who are big enough to be pan-fried but they're not very good company, in that they move their lips and are happy to be fed, but aren't all that cuddly.

So I went to the vet's and got myself a "rescue cat".  I saw her there when I took Franco to be diagnosed.  For some reason I noticed her in my sadness.  The story behind her is that someone found her in their backyard, she was a stray and so beautiful, loving and purring - they took her to the vet's in the hope that someone would give her a home.  And there she sat in a cage for a month.  They cleaned her up, gave her shots.  She's five months old.  I think they wanted to keep her.

I brought her home a week ago.   She's healthy, sleek, shiny, extremely affectionate, sleeps with me at night.  All black.  And an absolute effing terror.  She digs in all of my plants, jumps on my counters and insists on taking showers with me.  She's absolutely fearless.

My grandaughter Mia Jade loves her.  They have already established some kind of bond and she has named her Tornado.  Whenever Tornado gets out of line, Mia Jade picks up a framed picture I have of Franco, shows it to her and says, "Kitty!  You better behave and don't give my  little bit kind of old Grama Bamma any trouble!  Franco is watching you."

Mia Jade and Tornado.  They're both poop heads.

xoxo

July 25, 2009, 7:43 pm CDT

Trace

Yes, those are the two meds he takes. I will no longer think he is being a baby and know that he really is in loads of pain. Raj tends to milk things for what they are worth, so I have wondered. I sound like such a meanie, just how he can be though. =/

I think it is great that you have a new kitty. Good that Mia Jade approves too!! 

T-n-T that's you two....Trace-n-Tornado. hehe

Hugs,

~Ami

xoxo

July 26, 2009, 7:06 am CDT

Well hell's bells!

I hope I dance again!!!! I fully intend to recover. My life is gonna be different I'm sure. As in watching what I eat and getting plenty of excercise and healthy things. I kinda thought I had it together before, but have changed alot. Actually had scallops last nite and that's the first time I ate anything with a face in 1 1/2 mos. That kind of thing. The pills I'm on take 2-3 mos to work but when they do I should be getting enough blood flow to my legs to be normal. I truely did not know what I'd do if he didn't extend my medical leave. I really could not walk. But it worked out and it usually does. I'm sure you've noticed that Trace. Am so very sorry you have to deal with so much pain all of the time. I swear I just don't think I could! Everybody thinks I'm bouncing off walls but I'm kinda relaxed with this. Don't have too much of a choice about it, and I just do what I can. Mas is great and we both love this new dr. He's sending me for test that' gonna look at the top part of my body, which I know is damaged as well. He's aggressive and I like that. Cigaretts did this to me. Still not smoking and still want to but the intensity is gone. Just a "Gosh it'd sure be nice if I could...." feelings. Am so thrilled that I quit. Took this to do it, but at least I have.  

July 26, 2009, 2:37 pm CDT

Ruthe on Facebook

Yes, she is on FB. She's had an account there for a long time, I think, but had the privacy settings all up to max. She's since let me be a friend, but I don't think she gets on there very often.  I need to call her, I haven't talked to her in some time... I'll be presumptuous and tell her that y'all say Hey!

July 26, 2009, 4:06 pm CDT

JP

Quote From: jp621

I hope I dance again!!!! I fully intend to recover. My life is gonna be different I'm sure. As in watching what I eat and getting plenty of excercise and healthy things. I kinda thought I had it together before, but have changed alot. Actually had scallops last nite and that's the first time I ate anything with a face in 1 1/2 mos. That kind of thing. The pills I'm on take 2-3 mos to work but when they do I should be getting enough blood flow to my legs to be normal. I truely did not know what I'd do if he didn't extend my medical leave. I really could not walk. But it worked out and it usually does. I'm sure you've noticed that Trace. Am so very sorry you have to deal with so much pain all of the time. I swear I just don't think I could! Everybody thinks I'm bouncing off walls but I'm kinda relaxed with this. Don't have too much of a choice about it, and I just do what I can. Mas is great and we both love this new dr. He's sending me for test that' gonna look at the top part of my body, which I know is damaged as well. He's aggressive and I like that. Cigaretts did this to me. Still not smoking and still want to but the intensity is gone. Just a "Gosh it'd sure be nice if I could...." feelings. Am so thrilled that I quit. Took this to do it, but at least I have.  

I used to love scallops wrapped in bacon.  Not only was the taste wonderful, but the bacon hid their eyes!

Growing up in Brazil was such a bonus.  When we first got there, we couldn't speak Portuguese and when we went to a restaurant, couldn't read a menu.  So my parents and my brother and I would look around at the other diners and what they were having.  If it looked good, we'd point and say, "That, por favor!"  Turns out that we discovered a palate for a whole bunch of stuff that, had we known, would never have picked.  Shrimp, clams, eel, oysters, squid.  Incredibly savoury.  Sundays were the best.  That was "feijoada" day.

Feijoada is a Brazilian mess of a stew.  I think it was originally concocted by peasants who would all gather together in their version of a town square and throw into a pot whatever they could afford to bring. Kind of like the "Stone Soup" story.  Only instead of a stone, the base is black beans.  Then they throw in pork trotters, pork ears, dried beef, sausages, onions, garlic, oranges, you name it.  It cooks for a day.  Then it's served  over a bed of rice and they throw in some corn meal or something as a side dish that tastes like sawdust.  It's absolutely wonderful. 

Needless to say, when we finally learned Portuguese some months later and found out what we'd been eating, we were flabbergasted!   If we'd known what we were about to eat, we never would have tried it.  So we kept going back for more.  It was so wonderful, the flavours, the presentation.

After all, She of the Feather Boa had been a horrible, lackadaisical cook when we lived in Canada.  Kraft dinner.  Fried eggs.  Her pork chops were burnt sacrifices.  Her cookies could be used as doorstops, even our dog would take one bite and spit them out.  She'd serve gravy and would ask, "One lump or two?"  You needed a hacksaw to cut through her apple pie, and when she tried to flip those pancakes made from a package, she was a tad over zealous and they stuck to the ceiling.  That's when drywall was invented.

So where the hell am I going with this?  I don't know.  Off on some weird tangent.  But I thank you so much for the best memories.  You always make me smile.

You will be fine JP.  You have guts and strength and humour and us and Mas.  There is no doubt in my mind that you will dance again.

With love my friend,

T.   

July 26, 2009, 4:25 pm CDT

Ami

Tell Raj to stay away from stuff like seafood, beer (yeast) red meat and dairy products.  Also certain types of vegetables, like dried beans, peas, mushrooms, asparagus, cauliflower.  He can eat things like nuts or salmon and drink red juices, like cranberry.  It sounds kind of boring, but you can be innovative.  What you don't want is for him to get like me.  I have the tophaceous gout thing.

Personally, once a month I say "screw it!" and have a steak and a couple of beers.  It does wonders for the soul...

Luv ya hon and good luck to you both.

Trace.

July 26, 2009, 8:08 pm CDT

Neecie

Quote From: neecie24

Yes, she is on FB. She's had an account there for a long time, I think, but had the privacy settings all up to max. She's since let me be a friend, but I don't think she gets on there very often.  I need to call her, I haven't talked to her in some time... I'll be presumptuous and tell her that y'all say Hey!

Yes do! I sent her an invite, I noticed all you guys were listed as mutual friends so I wanna be in too! =P I hope she accepts I would love to catch up!

Hugs,

~Ami

xoxo

July 27, 2009, 4:51 am CDT

Haha!

Quote From: lokithor

Tell Raj to stay away from stuff like seafood, beer (yeast) red meat and dairy products.  Also certain types of vegetables, like dried beans, peas, mushrooms, asparagus, cauliflower.  He can eat things like nuts or salmon and drink red juices, like cranberry.  It sounds kind of boring, but you can be innovative.  What you don't want is for him to get like me.  I have the tophaceous gout thing.

Personally, once a month I say "screw it!" and have a steak and a couple of beers.  It does wonders for the soul...

Luv ya hon and good luck to you both.

Trace.

Raj is never going to give up steak. It is his fav and he eats it like all the time. And beer....well he does at least watch it somewhat because he knows it will trigger it. And he loves seafood....and ice cream....and mushrooms. Omg all his favorites are on this list. =(

Does gout progress? Is it one of those things once you have it you always are bothered with it and it gets worse as you age?

He will never listen to me, but I wish a doc would tell him this stuff. Or maybe they have....hmmm....

Hugs,

~Ami

xoxo

First | Prev | 643 | 644 | 645 | 646 | 647 | 648 | 649 | 650 | Next | Last