Message Boards

Topic : Is This Normal Social Discussion

Number of Replies: 6506
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:19:11 pm
Author : dataimport
Friends from the Dr. Phil Is This Normal folder socialize and share their lives.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 27, 2009, 5:00 am CDT

Must vent....

Grrrr....so my class reunion.....the reason I even got on fb. *sigh*

They are bickering over this thing. And I see why I have not given a crap about this bunch since the 10 year reunion. It blows my mind just how self centered some of these people are....and they were like that in school too. Ugh....

It is my 30 year reunion....which I could care if it is 30 or 31 or whatever, the point is to get together. And as we get older I think we all realize we are going to start losing folks from here on out. Anyway all that yadayada. Well no one would pick up the reins and actually get to work on this thing, so 3 classmates got together and are trying to plan this. Now they feel that we should actually do it next summer since this year is about gone and there are still over half our class to try to find. ....I agree with this. I don't care that it is a summer later, if we get more people to come.

Some of our class is wailing long and loud about how big a deal it is that it must be on the 30 year mark. And to the point that they have said they don't care if we find the rest of the class or not. sheese.

Bad thing is this mentality is exactly why there have been complaints that in previous reunions whoever was planning it didn't actually try to find classmates.

What a mess.

There is a reason I didn't keep in touch with these folks all these years. LOL

I think I just made my decision to not go, no matter when they decide to have it.

Ok /rant off now.

~Ami

July 27, 2009, 6:00 am CDT

Is This Normal Social Discussion

Hello everyone,

So much to catch up on that I will post now and read more later.

Saw that Ami might rescue a kitty!!!!  Yippee! Cats really do grow on you.  We took the plunge on Sat. and fulfilled Lily's lifelong dream of adopting a puppy.  We had planned to rescue a young adult dog but when I saw Lulu on petfinder we all fell in love.  I was expecting this to be like having a baby and it is except when the girls woke up at 2:30, I feed them, changed them and back to sleep they went.  Lulu involves me getting up, heading down stairs, fumbling to put on her harness and leash and stepping out into the damp grass so she can pee for 2 seconds.  Then I bring her back up to our room, back to her crate and lay down on the floor next to the crate until she stops wimpering.  Then I have stayed wide awake in bed until falling back to sleep sometime around the 4 oclock hour.  I won't dare get up because I don't want to wake the baby.  Bill has been doing the 5:30 am potty time but I think I need to start going to bed much earlier than midnight.  All that said, we are fast becoming "crazy dog people".  She is so darned cute, cuddly and affectionate that I don't mind the sleep depravation too much. 

I'm off to shower and to do some running around this morning.  I'll try to stop in later today.

Hugs all, Loretta

July 27, 2009, 11:23 am CDT

Ami

Quote From: mewjag

Raj is never going to give up steak. It is his fav and he eats it like all the time. And beer....well he does at least watch it somewhat because he knows it will trigger it. And he loves seafood....and ice cream....and mushrooms. Omg all his favorites are on this list. =(

Does gout progress? Is it one of those things once you have it you always are bothered with it and it gets worse as you age?

He will never listen to me, but I wish a doc would tell him this stuff. Or maybe they have....hmmm....

Hugs,

Ami

xoxo

Gout doesn't go away but it shouldn't  progress or get worse with age.  If Raj takes the Allopurinol daily and the Colchicine for five days when he has flare-ups, he should be okay.  Diet and exercise are crucial.  Lack of stress is key.  Not sure how you're going to prevent the stress thing!

The only reason mine got so bad and spread to other joints was because it was left untreated for so long.  If you google "tophaceous gout" you'll know what I mean.  It's okay though.  I'm on the maximum dose of Allopurinol.  Unfortunately I have to take Colchicine daily, which is pretty unheard of, given the side effects.  It also costs a fortune as it is not covered by our extremely good (and I'm serious) free Canadian health plan. 

However -  there is an upside to this ailment. Forcing myself to walk daily (because I can't own a car) has allowed me to keep my girlish figure!  And the cataracts lead me to believe that I have no wrinkles and long, blonde flowing hair.

I also wield a mean cane to fight off all of those good-looking men who approach me daily...

Speaking of men.  Oh, you're going to love this.  My daughter had lunch yesterday with my ex-husband, Sutton (the second one).  He's the Certified Accountant I married when Shannon was eleven-years-old, a great guy, extremely funny and loveable and as far as Shannon is concerned, the only real Dad she ever had.  I left him many, many years ago because he was an alcoholic and well... it just wasn't healthy.  He kept losing his jobs because he'd arrive at work with little airport bottles of booze clanking in his pockets and instead of working on economic forecasts and spreadsheets, would come back to the office after eight-martini lunches and make googly eyes at his female staff and do crossword puzzles.  I still love him in my own way, I throw fabulous theme birthday parties for him every year.  We've remained friends.

Anyway, he's going to be sixty-eight this August.   I'm fifty-four.  Apparently he's getting married again.  To a girl named Tracy.  She's twenty-eight years old and has three kids.  A boy who is six and twin girls who are three.  He tells Shannon that he wants her and my approval because his own children (my step-children, who are in their thirties) aren't too thrilled.

"And," he says to Shannon, "do you think your Mother would give me away?"

It's so warped, I'm almost inclined to do it.  I don't know this Tracy or what her motives are, but I do know that Sutton has no money, so that can't be it.

Think of the photo-ops!  Me in pink taffeta, wearing a lampshade.  Mia Jade in purple as a ring bearer with her Princess Tiara.  She of the Feather Boa wearing, of course, a feather boa.  Shannon smiling with that beautiful face.  My step-children looking on in horror.

And the caption on the front page of the newspapers would read:

"Left without a Trace!  Not this guy".

Sheesh.

July 27, 2009, 12:48 pm CDT

Loretta

Quote From: loretta24

Hello everyone,

So much to catch up on that I will post now and read more later.

Saw that Ami might rescue a kitty!!!!  Yippee! Cats really do grow on you.  We took the plunge on Sat. and fulfilled Lily's lifelong dream of adopting a puppy.  We had planned to rescue a young adult dog but when I saw Lulu on petfinder we all fell in love.  I was expecting this to be like having a baby and it is except when the girls woke up at 2:30, I feed them, changed them and back to sleep they went.  Lulu involves me getting up, heading down stairs, fumbling to put on her harness and leash and stepping out into the damp grass so she can pee for 2 seconds.  Then I bring her back up to our room, back to her crate and lay down on the floor next to the crate until she stops wimpering.  Then I have stayed wide awake in bed until falling back to sleep sometime around the 4 oclock hour.  I won't dare get up because I don't want to wake the baby.  Bill has been doing the 5:30 am potty time but I think I need to start going to bed much earlier than midnight.  All that said, we are fast becoming "crazy dog people".  She is so darned cute, cuddly and affectionate that I don't mind the sleep depravation too much. 

I'm off to shower and to do some running around this morning.  I'll try to stop in later today.

Hugs all, Loretta

Welcome to Lulu!  I'm so happy for you.

Your sleep deprevation will pay off eventually - just keep remembering that she's a baby and you are the closest thing she has to a Mommy.  Puppies are a little impulsive, but they do have long memories.

I remember when we first got Loki - she was such a brat!   Chewed up six convertors, ate table legs, got into the cupboards and downed bags of potato chips.  Figured out how to open the fridge and made herself sandwiches.  All I had to do with her was give her my best "you've been bad" face.  She didn't like my disapproval.  Twelve years later she still has a special smile for me and gives me hugs.  And I give her the odd potato chip, just because.

Have great fun with your new friend.

July 27, 2009, 9:31 pm CDT

Hmm...

Quote From: lokithor

Gout doesn't go away but it shouldn't  progress or get worse with age.  If Raj takes the Allopurinol daily and the Colchicine for five days when he has flare-ups, he should be okay.  Diet and exercise are crucial.  Lack of stress is key.  Not sure how you're going to prevent the stress thing!

The only reason mine got so bad and spread to other joints was because it was left untreated for so long.  If you google "tophaceous gout" you'll know what I mean.  It's okay though.  I'm on the maximum dose of Allopurinol.  Unfortunately I have to take Colchicine daily, which is pretty unheard of, given the side effects.  It also costs a fortune as it is not covered by our extremely good (and I'm serious) free Canadian health plan. 

However -  there is an upside to this ailment. Forcing myself to walk daily (because I can't own a car) has allowed me to keep my girlish figure!  And the cataracts lead me to believe that I have no wrinkles and long, blonde flowing hair.

I also wield a mean cane to fight off all of those good-looking men who approach me daily...

Speaking of men.  Oh, you're going to love this.  My daughter had lunch yesterday with my ex-husband, Sutton (the second one).  He's the Certified Accountant I married when Shannon was eleven-years-old, a great guy, extremely funny and loveable and as far as Shannon is concerned, the only real Dad she ever had.  I left him many, many years ago because he was an alcoholic and well... it just wasn't healthy.  He kept losing his jobs because he'd arrive at work with little airport bottles of booze clanking in his pockets and instead of working on economic forecasts and spreadsheets, would come back to the office after eight-martini lunches and make googly eyes at his female staff and do crossword puzzles.  I still love him in my own way, I throw fabulous theme birthday parties for him every year.  We've remained friends.

Anyway, he's going to be sixty-eight this August.   I'm fifty-four.  Apparently he's getting married again.  To a girl named Tracy.  She's twenty-eight years old and has three kids.  A boy who is six and twin girls who are three.  He tells Shannon that he wants her and my approval because his own children (my step-children, who are in their thirties) aren't too thrilled.

"And," he says to Shannon, "do you think your Mother would give me away?"

It's so warped, I'm almost inclined to do it.  I don't know this Tracy or what her motives are, but I do know that Sutton has no money, so that can't be it.

Think of the photo-ops!  Me in pink taffeta, wearing a lampshade.  Mia Jade in purple as a ring bearer with her Princess Tiara.  She of the Feather Boa wearing, of course, a feather boa.  Shannon smiling with that beautiful face.  My step-children looking on in horror.

And the caption on the front page of the newspapers would read:

"Left without a Trace!  Not this guy".

Sheesh.

Sorry that your gout is so bad Trace. That has to suck. Well all health problems just suck to be honest. =/

As for the ex....sheese. You know you would think if he has to seek out approval so hard that would tell him something wouldn't it?? doh.

Young girls and old men are gross frankly. My dad did that and it was and still is gross. Girls with crap self esteem and one eye on a wallet and old farts in mid-life fail mode. LOLOL.

Sorry you may think it is great. And the name....well sheese other than you headline is AWESOME! It ceases to be cute other than that. hehe  Of course I could never even date someone with the same name as an ex...ever. So there ya go, what can I say? I'm sure I'm the weird one. lol Anyway even if Johnny were to pick up a "Karen" and want to marry her and ask me to give him away....I would have to trip him going down the aisle. ><

Hugs,

~Ami

xoxo

July 29, 2009, 7:16 pm CDT

America's Got Talent....

Well the stress of these last two episodes almost made me reach for frosty adult beverage! =P

Gahhhh...sheese.

Neecie sorry about your Spiritual Harmonizers folks. They were awesome. I mean really give me harmony over juggling chain saws any day at all! *rolls eyes*

It's going to get hairy over the rest of the competition. Neecie do you call in to vote?

Gotta help Matt pack, I'm on the road again tomorrow.

Laters kids,

~Ami

xoxo

July 29, 2009, 9:25 pm CDT

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you coming my way?! Ami I will kick your butt if you come this way again and we don't hook up! That's ok missy. I have your cell and home phone # this time. Too late to call tonite but you best believe it's a gonna happen tomorrow.

July 29, 2009, 10:43 pm CDT

AGT

Quote From: mewjag

Well the stress of these last two episodes almost made me reach for frosty adult beverage! =P

Gahhhh...sheese.

Neecie sorry about your Spiritual Harmonizers folks. They were awesome. I mean really give me harmony over juggling chain saws any day at all! *rolls eyes*

It's going to get hairy over the rest of the competition. Neecie do you call in to vote?

Gotta help Matt pack, I'm on the road again tomorrow.

Laters kids,

Ami

xoxo

I was SOOO sad about my boys! I don't even know the name of that lead singer - it's just wrong!  I think it's either Brandon or L.J. Lewis - I've got to keep my eyes open for him. Maybe he'll be back next year as a solo act.  I was glad to see that Kevin Skinner got through though - I'd like to see how he cleans up. Yeah, Erin and I will probably call in, if there's someone we are really rooting for - as long as it doesn't cost anything to call. If they're going to charge, then forget it.  We were disappointed about several of their decisions - some we wanted to stay and some we definitely wanted to go! We haven't watched tonight's show though - we DVR it and watch the next night.

Ami, I saw that you are on FIRE on the discussion boards on Facebook. I'm crashing into the realization of what it means to have a pre-existing condition. :-(  It occured to me, [duh] that if I quit my job to go to school, I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for insurance. There's COBRA, of course, but what I understand that is stupid expensive. I have found out about a Colorado state program that will probably be my best bet.  But in order, to make it halfway affordable, I'll have to agree to a huge deductible. Just gotta hope that I can get through seven months with no major health issues. And then I'll have to find a job with a group plan, no self-employment for me for a few years. Makes me mad, because really, I'm a very healthy person! I've rarely gotten sick, other than childbirth and a couple broken bones as a kid, I've never been sick - but OHHHH now I'm a cancer survivor! No matter that for the most part the whole thing was quite routine with no complications - Nope, no more health insurance for me, without paying through the nose! 

OK, how do I type a raspberry noise?

July 30, 2009, 6:26 am CDT

Oh heck Neecie

I hadn't thought about the insurance part. That's a biggie. *sigh* Puts a whole new perspective on your situation. Not sure now what you should do so I'm taking my approval out of the mix. Big deal insurance. If I lost this job and had to pay my own?! I wouldn't be able to get it at all. And I thought I was healthy! I'd lose everything I own.

I didn't know there was a chat board on FB. I'll have to go check it out.

July 30, 2009, 10:00 pm CDT

JP

Quote From: jp621

I hadn't thought about the insurance part. That's a biggie. *sigh* Puts a whole new perspective on your situation. Not sure now what you should do so I'm taking my approval out of the mix. Big deal insurance. If I lost this job and had to pay my own?! I wouldn't be able to get it at all. And I thought I was healthy! I'd lose everything I own.

I didn't know there was a chat board on FB. I'll have to go check it out.

Check with Ami about the discussion board - it was specifically about the topic of the new health care legislation and I'm not sure how to get to wherever she was posting. And I could see everyone's comments about it, just hers, (on my news feed) because she's a friend.

I think that most of us are closer to losing everything than we think. That's where so many are - dealing with serious and expensive medical treatment and unable to get insurance. I can understand the need to make sure that those people (maybe, me? gulp) are covered, but somehow it has to be fair for everyone. I don't want to deal with waiting months for surgery or treatment. The answer would seem to be a safety net for the most vulnerable and a reasonable cost for everyone else. Companies have to cover the cost of the research they do, doctors need to make a decent living compared to the years of study they put in... somehow it should work out for everyone, but I don't know how to accomplish it.

One thing I know for sure, if it turns out that MT school is the right thing for me, I'm not going to let anything stop me.  Life is too short to settle for doing something you hate. And if it means giving up this house, or living on the cheap, or working two or three jobs - I'll do what I have to do to keep the important things in my life.

So there.

JP, I know that you agree with this idea. That's what I see you doing every day - looking on the bright side, doing what you have to do, making sure to get every bit of enjoyment out of each day. That's my goal...

First | Prev | 644 | 645 | 646 | 647 | 648 | 649 | 650 | Next | Last