Message Boards

Topic : Is This Normal Social Discussion

Number of Replies: 6506
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:19:11 pm
Author : dataimport
Friends from the Dr. Phil Is This Normal folder socialize and share their lives.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 6, 2005, 5:39 pm CDT

Hey, bluebird

Quote From: bluebird

*shaking my head in total disbelief!!!!!*  I think you're precious too btw. Even though you ARE cranky!
 It's good to see you right to sorts again. *grin*

And, I knew you could do it!

August 6, 2005, 6:14 pm CDT

Hi Kathy

Quote From: kathy_kak

When I come on this board, it seems that I can't get caught up to the newest messages unless I select my last post and start from there, so I am forced to post something. Sorry if this isn't anything worth reading.  

Bitsy is not doing very well in her potty training. More accidents lately. Vet's office said we should give her a treat only when she pottys outside. We hadn't been giving her any treats, just prising her as soon as she does her job. Now hubby wants to give her treats for going outside whether she pottys or not. Geez. It's hard enough to try training her but if he's going to ignore advice from professionals, I don't see how we'll ever get the job done. 

Bitsy sometimes doesn't want to come back inside but she loves a small bell that I have so I ring the bell, then she comes a running! If I'd known this before, I might have named her Pavlov.  

Anyone have any advice on crate training? He's deadset against it. Gawd! The man is soooo stubborn!!!! 

Find a way to explain to "the man" that not crate training Bitsy is misguided and anthropomorphic. Wolves live in dens, he should remember, and dogs are close kin to wolves. Bitsy's crate will become her den and she will retreat to it voluntarily and often once she gets used to it.

Never put her in her crate as a punishment. Put her in, tell her she's the most fabulous puppy ever, and give her a treat. Close the door and leave.

I like wire cages better than the plastic carriers. Get a big one! Sometimes I put a large towel over the top and sides, so it's more denlike.

Every dog I have and every dog that stays with me (sometimes for weeks at a time), is either crate-trained or spot-trained. Misty's too big for any of my crates, so her spot is right in front of the front door on a rug. She's not allowed off that rug and she's quite content, I promise.

Good luck!

August 6, 2005, 7:47 pm CDT

Crate training will begin tonight!!!

Quote From: tapestry6o

Find a way to explain to "the man" that not crate training Bitsy is misguided and anthropomorphic. Wolves live in dens, he should remember, and dogs are close kin to wolves. Bitsy's crate will become her den and she will retreat to it voluntarily and often once she gets used to it.

Never put her in her crate as a punishment. Put her in, tell her she's the most fabulous puppy ever, and give her a treat. Close the door and leave.

I like wire cages better than the plastic carriers. Get a big one! Sometimes I put a large towel over the top and sides, so it's more denlike.

Every dog I have and every dog that stays with me (sometimes for weeks at a time), is either crate-trained or spot-trained. Misty's too big for any of my crates, so her spot is right in front of the front door on a rug. She's not allowed off that rug and she's quite content, I promise.

Good luck!

"The man" and I were garage sale shopping today and I found a medium size dog crate for $5.00 - can you believe it!!?? Well, I bought that sucker immediately so he has nothing more to say about it.  

This evening after I cleaned it all up - with help from Bitsy (she had soap suds on the tips of her ears and her chin) - hubby and I were discussing the crate training and he is totally on board with it now.  

Bitsy is currently sleeping in a large cardboard box next to our bed but she cannot see out except by looking up, so I know this will be a big improvement for her. I am following the crate training instructions I found on the Internet for Bichons which I don't expect are much different from other pups. If I'm wrong about that please let me know right away!! :)  

I'll keep you all posted on her progress. btw, she went with us in our golf cart while we shopped. At the first sale, we were the only customers, and the lady of the house just had to hold Bitsy, who promptly "christened" her! I was very embarrassed but the lady just laughed. Hubby said he thought they both had been drinking. They were very jolly, but their 8 month old puppy who looked to be a Labrador size mix, and was tied to their front porch, was excited to see another dog and didn't seem to have had any training other than the man hitting him, which he did. We left soon after that. Poor dog. 

August 7, 2005, 5:37 pm CDT

Bichon crate training

Quote From: kathy_kak

"The man" and I were garage sale shopping today and I found a medium size dog crate for $5.00 - can you believe it!!?? Well, I bought that sucker immediately so he has nothing more to say about it.  

This evening after I cleaned it all up - with help from Bitsy (she had soap suds on the tips of her ears and her chin) - hubby and I were discussing the crate training and he is totally on board with it now.  

Bitsy is currently sleeping in a large cardboard box next to our bed but she cannot see out except by looking up, so I know this will be a big improvement for her. I am following the crate training instructions I found on the Internet for Bichons which I don't expect are much different from other pups. If I'm wrong about that please let me know right away!! :)  

I'll keep you all posted on her progress. btw, she went with us in our golf cart while we shopped. At the first sale, we were the only customers, and the lady of the house just had to hold Bitsy, who promptly "christened" her! I was very embarrassed but the lady just laughed. Hubby said he thought they both had been drinking. They were very jolly, but their 8 month old puppy who looked to be a Labrador size mix, and was tied to their front porch, was excited to see another dog and didn't seem to have had any training other than the man hitting him, which he did. We left soon after that. Poor dog. 

Hi five to "the man"!

Gee, I could have written that myself, if it weren't so cutesy. One problem I see is that the people have no time to "potty," if you actually follow their advice. But then, since there's no time for you to eat, I guess you don't need to potty. hehehe

Crate training is valuable for far more than potty training. It'll make a huge difference when teething time comes, too.

If Bitsy whines or cries the first few nights/times she's confined, either ignore her or say something like, "Stop that you little sh*t," with an annoyed or flat tone of voice. "Oh, poor little Bitsy. We'll get you out in the morning," is a reward. (I'm big on using the right words, because they help you use the right tone of voice.)

Just remember that Bitsy has no more bladder or other control than a baby does. It's the price you pay for getting a puppy. As she matures physically, she'll be able to do what you've been teaching her. One day, instead of your having to take her out, she'll head straight for the door. She might make a puddle at the door, but so what! That's when you're on the downhill side.

Hang in there and be strong!

August 7, 2005, 6:13 pm CDT

yOU GUYS ARE too funny

Hi five to "the man"!

Gee, I could have written that myself, if it weren't so cutesy. One problem I see is that the people have no time to "potty," if you actually follow their advice. But then, since there's no time for you to eat, I guess you don't need to potty. hehehe

Crate training is valuable for far more than potty training. It'll make a huge difference when teething time comes, too.

If Bitsy whines or cries the first few nights/times she's confined, either ignore her or say something like, "Stop that you little sh*t," with an annoyed or flat tone of voice. "Oh, poor little Bitsy. We'll get you out in the morning," is a reward. (I'm big on using the right words, because they help you use the right tone of voice.)

Just remember that Bitsy has no more bladder or other control than a baby does. It's the price you pay for getting a puppy. As she matures physically, she'll be able to do what you've been teaching her. One day, instead of your having to take her out, she'll head straight for the door. She might make a puddle at the door, but so what! That's when you're on the downhill side.

Hang in there and be strong!
Tap, gotta question for ya. Is there a reason you're still cranky?

August 7, 2005, 7:02 pm CDT

Why cranky?

Tap, gotta question for ya. Is there a reason you're still cranky?
 Because Annoyed isn't an option?

To me, the User Mood and the Emotes are juvenile. I know others really like them, but they're just not my style. And they take up way too much space. I want to know what you have to say, but I don't give a damn about your emoticons or Profile mood or dancing bears or other animations. Now, if you'd made them yourself, that would be different.

That answer your question for today? (Tomorrow I might have a different answer.)

August 7, 2005, 7:07 pm CDT

Is This Normal Social Discussion

Because Annoyed isn't an option?

To me, the User Mood and the Emotes are juvenile. I know others really like them, but they're just not my style. And they take up way too much space. I want to know what you have to say, but I don't give a damn about your emoticons or Profile mood or dancing bears or other animations. Now, if you'd made them yourself, that would be different.

That answer your question for today? (Tomorrow I might have a different answer.)

August 7, 2005, 7:27 pm CDT

Is This Normal Social Discussion

I just want ya'll to know Tap called me a b@#$ch. Where's the posse when I need one?!

August 7, 2005, 10:59 pm CDT

Jp, JP, JP....

I just want ya'll to know Tap called me a b@#$ch. Where's the posse when I need one?!

For someone so "quiet" why so many posts? hee hee hee 

There aren't enough smilie icons to suit me either. Nor enough different moods. What if I'm feeling depressed? Am I just supposed to go to that board, among people I don't know?  

How 'bout if I'm just wondering? No smilie for that. Maybe we can suggest other smilies to add. Think they would expand them for us? :) 

August 7, 2005, 11:02 pm CDT

Oh Yeah...One more thing...

Did I miss the post where Tap called you a b@#$ch? I don't see any such post.  

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last