Message Boards

Topic : 11/30 Spoiled and Entitled

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 02:25:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's holiday time again, and parents everywhere are figuring out how they're going to afford what's on their kids' Christmas list. Theresa is a single mother who is extremely stressed out because she says her 17-year-old daughter, Bailie, is spoiled. Bailie expects her mom to buy her new clothes, a computer, purses -- much more than Theresa can afford. Theresa says that Bailie even leaves notes around the house saying, "Clean my room!" How has Theresa, who's unemployed, been able to keep up with Bailie's demands? She reveals a dark secret that she's been keeping from everyone, including Bailie. And what does Bailie want most from her mom that she's never gotten? Then, 24-year-old Katie says that she's always been handed everything she wants, and if she doesn't get her way, she begs and whines to get her dad to foot the bill. He still pays for her gas, insurance, furniture and clothing. Now, Katie says her 4-year-old daughter is growing up to be just like her, and it's Grandpa’s fault. Plus, Dr. Phil and Robin have signed on to be the national spokespeople for Toys for Tots. To kick off this year's holiday toy drive, they head to Texas Motor Speedway to cheer on the UPS Store/Toys for Tots racing team. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 8, 2006, 9:19 pm CST

The daughter needs to get a job

I think just because you get good grades does not mean youi should not get a job and pay your own way.  I know some parents feel that there children should not work.  I had a job at 15 and had to pay for my own stuff, it  showed me how far a doller would go and that It was my job to buy my own things.  It also helped me out in my personal life I am able to budjet  for my family expenses.  What I am getting at is this 17 year old needs to get a job and pay for her own things maybe it will teach her a lesson.  One more thing as for her saying that she wishes her mom would just say no.  How about a very simple soulution stop asking for everything you see you are not 2 years old grow up

December 9, 2006, 5:41 am CST

11/30 Spoiled and Entitled

Quote From: jettav

I know what you mean. Thankfully I didn't have to take care of any one other then myself which is basically what I did. I lived with my grandma and was working a s a teen and helped my grandma with groceries as well as buying my neccessities for MYSELF. Graduated from high school and got MYSELF Through college. sure, there were some bumps along the path but I have done well for myself, and I am proud of the fact that I was able to take care of myself and do something with my life. I am teaching my kids the value of money and how to manage it, teaching them to be thankful for what they have and not to be greedy and at their young ages, they are catching on. yes, they are a bit rebellious at times, but they are only 3 and 5 but they know what NO means and they know what they need to do to EARN the things they might want. I know quite a few horror stories about self centered kids growing up to be not so nice adults and I will do everything in my power to prevent that from happening within my household.
 Way to go with your kids!   I do the same with mine. It must be working, cause all my kids are generous and helpful. It didn't take a whole lot of fighting to teach them either...just reminding them to think of others and realize who yoou are is not dictated by what you have or don't have.

December 10, 2006, 11:34 pm CST

Quote From: darlenesmith

I think just because you get good grades does not mean youi should not get a job and pay your own way.  I know some parents feel that there children should not work.  I had a job at 15 and had to pay for my own stuff, it  showed me how far a doller would go and that It was my job to buy my own things.  It also helped me out in my personal life I am able to budjet  for my family expenses.  What I am getting at is this 17 year old needs to get a job and pay for her own things maybe it will teach her a lesson.  One more thing as for her saying that she wishes her mom would just say no.  How about a very simple soulution stop asking for everything you see you are not 2 years old grow up
I agree totally.  I had a job at 15 also and from there I learned quite a bit about pretty much everything. About responsibility, about honesty, about money, about budgets and how good it feels to earn what you get.

December 13, 2006, 9:51 am CST

Right on!

Quote From: brookew

In this case it Does seem to be a maturity problem. When I was in highschool I got most of what i wanted but not any $2500 purses. I knew that was out of the question plus really who cares. When you graduate you will realize that the people you think are gonna talk about you dont really care what your wearing And Walmart clothes the only way they would know if it is from walmart clothing department is if they are shopping in that department also....Oh and I happen to be from a small town in Illnois.

Materialistic people are not really contributing to the well being of their family, their community or their country.

I personally know a family of five children whose clothes came from K-mart and other such stores. You know what, they are the most popular kids in their schools and one was Student Body President. You know what else? Things wear out. Things deteriorate. Things become passe. Values only get better.

It is so sad that some of these teen posters have so little going for them that things define them.

December 14, 2006, 12:40 pm CST

same here

Quote From: idamag

Materialistic people are not really contributing to the well being of their family, their community or their country.

I personally know a family of five children whose clothes came from K-mart and other such stores. You know what, they are the most popular kids in their schools and one was Student Body President. You know what else? Things wear out. Things deteriorate. Things become passe. Values only get better.

It is so sad that some of these teen posters have so little going for them that things define them.

I was in the "popular" group and am actually a professional model and guess what... I have like 15 shirts from wally world. If I could find jeans long enough for me there I would have walmart jeans also.

January 25, 2007, 1:13 pm CST

Look in the mirror!

I've heard beauty is only skin deep well for the 2 sisters your skin is transparent, you may have to look that up to find the meaning, as your reaction to things said on the show, you either don't follow to quickly, or don't pay attention, or just don't care.  Another phrase used is also beauty is from the inside out, I find this statement very true but even if you were to say that beauty is from the outside in I don't find either one of you beautiful, I've seen beautiful women on the sidewalk in jogging pants, sweatshirt and baseball hat, housewives, stay at home Moms even waitresses that are absolutely beautiful and should be models.  You have an air about you that your better than other people and that you don't care what people think because your beautiful, I hate to break it to you, but that will only take you so far in life, your young yet but eventually you won't be able to ride the coat tails.  Look around you there are beautiful people out there that make you look very average!

December 21, 2008, 9:25 pm CST

Have the Money Talk

I'm a big Suzie Orman fan.  Especially when she talks about children and money.  I think kids need to know what money is, how it is earned, what bills are, and when they are old enough (parents' discretion) they should be introduced to the household finances.  They should know how much Mom and Dad make, what taxes are taken out, what bills have to be paid and when, and they should know how much things like groceries cost.

I think the more kids understand about money they more they will value it and the things that it can buy.  I think every 10 year old should have a savings account, a place where they can store their birthday and Holiday money and watch it grow.  It's a great way to teach kids that every little dime adds up.

December 21, 2008, 9:45 pm CST

Quote From: adrienne143

I am a 17 year old girl from a small town in missouri. i can really relate to this episode. i am just like that girl. i want everything. everything i want, i get or if i don't all hell breaks lose. i dont listen to the word no. hello. i am 17. what i want i should get.

it's not my mom's fault. i don't get everything i want. but most things. i dont know.

i guess i just basically wanted to say i agree with the girl on the show. i understand where she is coming from. high school sucks. do you know how i would be treated in i showed up in walmart jeans and tee-shirt. i would be treated horribly. i would be made fun of. that is horrible. alot of people dont understand that some of the things we need as teenagers is NECESSARY.

If you have real personality than you can rock any outfit from any store.  It's all about personal style, which has a lot more to do with attitiude than with fashion.  You don't have to wear Walmart Jeans and a crappy tee shirt.  You can go to vintage stores (nobody has to know) and you can find real treasures if you take the time.  There are lots of websites that can teach you how to recycle old boring clothes into something sleek and stylish.  It just takes a little vision and creativity.  

I do agree that high school can be rough place but it is not worth putting your parents through hell.  Your a smart girl, try being part of the solution to your fashion delemias, not the problem.

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next Page | Last Page