Message Boards

Topic : 12/04 Heroin Twins: The Intervention, Part 3

Number of Replies: 402
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 01, 2006, 03:19:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with twin sisters who are addicted to heroin and crack cocaine and were spiraling out of control. A few days into her detox, Sarah begins to emerge from her haze of drug use and painful withdrawal symptoms. Is she committed to the work involved with getting clean? Dr. Phil questions their mother, Cindy, about her own history of alcohol use and how she is sabotaging Tecoa’s sobriety and the health of her unborn baby. Then, Dr. Phil tracks down the sisters’ long-lost stepfather, Perry. They say his disappearance from their lives played a significant role toward their decline into drug use and prostitution. How does Perry explain his absence from their lives, and does his appearance bring closure for Sarah and Tecoa? As the twins begin to take their first steps toward a new life, Dr. Phil informs them that their paths of sobriety will be separate. Will they agree to go to different rehab centers to learn how to stand on their own two feet? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 11, 2006, 2:30 pm CST

12/04 Heroin Twins: The Intervention, Part 3

Quote From: lizkozelski

Sarah- I wrote you a little shout out from Cola Town. I hope you read it . So their are like a billion people on these boards that have really released pages and pages of their own stories. I'm just so proud of you. Please take a step back and look at how far you've come.All the bad things that lead you like an arrow straight to this show.Please understand that miracle and how you are a redemption song for so many.What a blessing you have on your life..and you must have some kick-butt guardian angels because you risen from the dead. I too have risen.There is beauty in this world and good.More love than loss.I pray for you-Hippie Liz from ColaT. Make us proud girl!!!!!!
You sound like a person who should be very proud of yourself too. I'm a recovering alcoholic who was given a miracle in my rehab. I didn't have to wait long at all. I was being pulled into hell,into a very black place and God brought me back up through. I witnessed tranquility when i awoke the next morning. It was a miracle. I wrapped my arms around my self to hold on to the feeling for as long as i could. What a blessing. Life is beautiful -just think about how many life's these girls and Dr.Phil are saving by airing this on the show.Just think about it. God bless you.

December 11, 2006, 7:02 pm CST

Let-Down Daddy

Quote From: shelleyhg

Boy I'm am really getting tired of hearing young and old people blaming  others for the choices they make be it good ones or bad. I don't know any one that had a " perfect childhood" I know I sure didn't I was sexually abused by a close relative but I never went to drugs or alcohol no I went on to make hard decisions in my life at 18 I ended up pregnant not married so in the 60's that was a no no so I thought long and hard to give her to a loving family. We are since reunited and only to find out her life was a fairy tale I'd thought she would have Thank God we now have each other and her 5 beautiful children and to the bastard she married he's in " a program" for spousal abuse what a crack that is he hit her and the kids broke her arm 2 months after giving birth to number 5. 2 months after that he stabbed her with a fork and blacken both eyes all with her in a full cast holding a 2 month old baby. As we are dealing with the after affects he's all comfy cozy in his rehab and out in under  10 months demanding his rights to see his kids 1 day a week. He hit them as well but because of deal making his 10 yr. felony was knocked down to 5 months in a country club. My daughter gets 1,000.00 a month from the state her rent for a 2 bedroom condo is 1400.00 guess who has to pick up the rest and only 500.00 in food stamps we live in CA and the cost of living is so high. Between running the kids to counseling and school and to the courts with gas at what it is you can guess what isn't being done for the true victims here. Now on to the drugs GIVE ME A BREAK PLEASE  I had my right arm ground off in a meat grinder in 76 but did I make the choice to sit back and say oh poor me .hell no I got married to a wonderful man helped him raise his 5 children and we were married to Christmas Day 1997 when he died at the foot of our bed in a massive heart attack and even then I never went to drugs or blame.

To this day I am disabled by a nerve disease that is very painful and I do need lots of pain medication to make it possible for me to do the things that need to be done. I should take 6 pills for pain a day but hey I have kids to feed clean up after and watch over so I stay in pain till they go to bed then I take my medication again no blame game things happen get over it I don't see Dr. Phil helping 5 young kids get over seeing their Mom hit many times by their Dad or the fact the the oldest at age 9 has already been kicked out of 1 school we are trying to do the best we can tell them they are loved and they can do anything and that they are special and none of this was there fault. CHOOSE PEOPLE WE HAVE FREE WILL MAKE THE RIGHT CHOSE.......CHOSE YOU CHILDREN CHOSE LOVE NOT BLAME CHOSE YOURSELF

MICHELLE

I must admit that part of me agrees that blaming others for your problems can sometimes be a psycho cop out because we are all adults, and a lot of us had one or both parents let us down, abandon us, or some other form of neglect, but not all turn to drugs.  There are other ways to cope such as church, God, and  "loving friends".  Don't get me wrong I also know everyone makes bad judgments at one time or another. 

My MAIN REASON FOR REPLYING TO THIS  MESSAGE is to rag on the twins dad and step-mom.   I couldn't help but notice that his "wife" did most of the talking.  That got me to wondering if he was a man or mouse.  I had to agree with the twin (I can't remember which one it was) who said that he was "hen pecked" for a nicer word.  I understand their feelings about their biological daughter to an extent, but  her  (the wife)  putting her 2 cents worth in was just wrong. When he adopted those girls he by all purposes took on ALL the responsibilities of being their biological father.  I wonder if he is gonna do the same thing to his biological daughter if this happens to her.  (It can happen to Anyone, No one is immune).

Anyway, Sarah and Tecoa, in my book, you're better off without him if he can't stand up for what's right.  I put him up there even below a "deadbeat dad".

Good luck with your treatments.  I will continually pray for your recoveries

Patti

December 11, 2006, 8:08 pm CST

the twin girls

well honestly i just wanted to say how touching the show was to me of the twin girls addicted to herion. as a child my mother was addicted to herion for quite some years during my child hood and she decided in 1996 to just pick up and leave nj to move to pa. and id have to say my mother is a very strong person for doing this herself and never going back to it, but the show just brought me back to then and im so happy for those girls and i really hope they continue to go through thier recovery. they will see how much better there life is. and good luck to the baby.

December 11, 2006, 8:46 pm CST

inspiring story

wow!!! this show was so amazing , It has touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes...  I never image in my life that I would be so in to a show as I was with the twins....       cant wait to  see what happens to  these girls in the future and I pray and wish nothing but the best for them and yes mom too....

I can relate to this story in so many ways which I know so many others can too...  It makes me want to just grab my kids and hug and kiss them and hope that they dont go down the path of destruction but in the same time I would want to know what step to take if I had to deal with it..

Me my self can learn and has learned so much since I am on the path of recovery myself I sometimes wonder when does it stop and I can say I am better but honetly It was been a struggle and fight for so long that I think that I will be recoverying the rest of my life and patching up things that I have riped....

any way enough of me I  also wanted to say that I think it was Sad that the step Dad could just basiclly abandon them like he had ... Im sure step Mom had alot to do with that ... those people made me so mad with reasons they  had. . Hello stepdad adopted these kids and I feel that he should have stuck it out with them but instead of dealing with the problem he just choose not too... A simple call and a visit .. Oh it makes me so anger cause I really can relate to that except in my case its my sons own father ...

Again I look forward to see what happen it will be a long road for these twins and I hope the best .  I know its a posability that  they may relapse but that is a part of recovery( I think)

This is my first post so please be nice and easy on me....

December 12, 2006, 2:52 am CST

I found out on November 18, 2006 that my daughter was dead.  She died on May 21, 1995 in New York City.  I have kept on hoping I would hear from her when she matured.  It took the authorities 11 years to identify her body.  She is buried in Potter's Field.  She started taking drugs when she was 14 and I had a premonition of what would happen, but hoped that my worst fears would not come true.

To the twins I would say you have a choice, life or death.

From a mother who never gave up hope until now.

December 12, 2006, 8:17 am CST

Wow

I usually miss the first 15-20 minutes of Dr. Phil due to getting off of work at 5 and the show airing at 5. However, three weeks ago this series started. I could not believe how much this show would touch me. My parents had me when they were 27, and I was the youngest of 3. My mother had grown up in a less than stable environment, and her lifestyle prior to marriage depicted it. She had overdosed 3 times before she was 21, but something amazing happened. I realize not all people believe in a higher being, and that is fine, but when my mother shared her life story with me it confirmed it for me. She had done every drug known to society at the time. However, when she met my father her life changed. My father had also grown up in a terrible, abusive environment, but somehow when they met God brought their lives to a peak. My mother had overdosed only 3 months prior to meeting my father, and regardless of numerous visits from clergy and other caring people she was not ready to give up that lifestyle.

Well, once her and my dad met she did give her life over to Jesus Christ, and her drug usage stopped there. I am not in anyway trying to sound like a pious Christian who is saying all these girls need is Jesus, I am aware of the intervention that is needed. I simply wanted to say how thankful I am that my mother was one who survived the grip of heroin and other drugs. As I watched this show I realized that the lifestyle these young girls are living could have been the one my mother chose. However, she chose herself and her life. I am blessed beyond measure because my mother is a survior and while religion and spirituality is what saved her, I hope these girls find their savior, because they still have a chance.

My mother is loved and respected by me and both of my brothers, we can't even imagine her being an addict, and I know for her that means the most. Children accept their parents regardless of what their parents do, and my mother's previous lifestyle has no bearing on her present or future. I hope these girls see this; the possiblity of them being able to help children of their own with their experience.

December 12, 2006, 3:11 pm CST

Accountablity

These girls have had a lot to overcome.  Not everyone is blessed to have a stable life.  That being said, I sometimes feel society as a whole has become very good at making excuses.  There are explanations for who we are, but we are responsible for making the choices we do.  I have made many mistakes in my life but realize that I was the one who made the choices.    I have learned the hard way, unfortunately, and could give excuses, but the truth is that the decisions were mine.  If you learn from your mistakes, I am a very bright person.  My son had things to overcome due to some of my poor choices, but I apologized for my mistakes and told him we could discuss anything that happened.  I also took him to a doctor and spoke with him myself to see if there was anything that needed to be done to meet his needs.  I told him that we can explain why we did something, but not to waste time making excuses.  Admit your mistakes, learn from them, and do better now and in the future.  I am happy to report that my son is in graduate school and we have a very close, loving relationship.  I certainly don't have all the answer, but too many people want to blame their problems on someone else.  I hope these girls realize what a blessing it is to have you in their life now and take advantage of the resources you are providing to turn their lives around.

December 12, 2006, 3:59 pm CST

OK its gr8 that the girls r tryin 2 help themselves & make their lives better for themselves. I just cant believe how bitchy the were about there father comming in  c them & try to help them understand what he had to do for himself & his other family. It seems like he tried to help but they were way out of controll & there mother Blaming Her Ex;s wife was childish. Just cuz she couldnt help her own children she had to blame another woman for taking their father away & screwing up their life. They messed up there own lives the moment the took their first hit. All the twins mother cared about was If he blamed her, she didnt care how the girls felt to see their father. That is so messed up how they ALL blamed him for the way the girls life had gone soo wrong. My father was Never in my life, I never met him let alone talked 2 him. My mother had one man in our life How couldnt handle such young children so he left us all. I didnt feel the need to pick up a crack pipe, steal, nor even drink So something must have gone very wrong early in their lives before he left them to make them become drawn to the darkside of life. I just pray that unborn child is heathy & never follows in her horrid mothers footstpes, She doesnt deserve a child.

December 12, 2006, 6:21 pm CST

Thank God for Angels

I've been following this story from the start and my heart goes out to Sarah and Tecoa. I'm an addict and an alcoholic in recovery and I know how bad it can get. I was a cocaine and meth user and I've snorted heroin but never got addicted to heroin and I get nauseous at the sight of a needle. Thank God for that young lady (stranger) that stepped in and got them to Dr. Phil. She's their angel. I've been in recovery for a little over (3) years now and there's been alot of healing going on. I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for Cindy one bit. I think Perry took the brunt of it and even though he had a part in it I think the issue was not with Perry but their mom Cindy. For god''s sake she's their mother. If the children had abondonment issues it was with Cindy and their real father. Perry and his new wife had every right to make that decision for the best of their own lives. It was a hard decision but it was made none-the-less. Cindy knew what was going on, she just ignored it. My mother was also an alchoholic and she knew exactly what was going with her kids but she didn't care and yes we all suffered from abandonment issues because my mom wouldn't step up to the plate. I'm surprsied Dr. Phil didn't suggest re-hab for the mother. There is no way that Sarah and Tecoa can go back into the same environment her mother is living in and stay clean. It won't work. If Cindy isn't sober it will be hard for Sarah and Tecoa to stay clean and sober as well. I pray for them all and I know with their guardian angel, God and Dr. Phil by their side as well as other human beings that care about them they will make it. I wish them all well as there is alot of healing that needs to take place as well as recovery. :-0)

December 13, 2006, 9:26 am CST

Thank You

Quote From: chermarie

You sound like a person who should be very proud of yourself too. I'm a recovering alcoholic who was given a miracle in my rehab. I didn't have to wait long at all. I was being pulled into hell,into a very black place and God brought me back up through. I witnessed tranquility when i awoke the next morning. It was a miracle. I wrapped my arms around my self to hold on to the feeling for as long as i could. What a blessing. Life is beautiful -just think about how many life's these girls and Dr.Phil are saving by airing this on the show.Just think about it. God bless you.

Thanks for your kind reply. Sarah grew up in my home town, she lived on my couch for a short while. Yes I have come along way. My problem is also with alcohol.Sarah and I met at a bar.I used to be the life of the party and take care of all the "Sarahs'" around town. Most of these people are dead. I am so thankful that god showed me purpose.I am so grateful for people like you who understand miracles.I somtimes wonder why I've been spared , so everyday I'm learning why.I'll pray for you too.

First | Prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | Next | Last