Message Boards

Topic : 12/04 Heroin Twins: The Intervention, Part 3

Number of Replies: 402
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 01, 2006, 03:19:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with twin sisters who are addicted to heroin and crack cocaine and were spiraling out of control. A few days into her detox, Sarah begins to emerge from her haze of drug use and painful withdrawal symptoms. Is she committed to the work involved with getting clean? Dr. Phil questions their mother, Cindy, about her own history of alcohol use and how she is sabotaging Tecoa’s sobriety and the health of her unborn baby. Then, Dr. Phil tracks down the sisters’ long-lost stepfather, Perry. They say his disappearance from their lives played a significant role toward their decline into drug use and prostitution. How does Perry explain his absence from their lives, and does his appearance bring closure for Sarah and Tecoa? As the twins begin to take their first steps toward a new life, Dr. Phil informs them that their paths of sobriety will be separate. Will they agree to go to different rehab centers to learn how to stand on their own two feet? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 4, 2006, 12:12 pm CST

12/04 Heroin Twins: The Intervention, Part 3

I am sorry but why does everyone seem to be referring to this man as the 'STEP-DAD".  Did he not legally adopt these girls?  Does that not make him the DAD?  He did let the girls make the choice.  But what did he do when he knew they were making the wrong one?  My mother raised four girls on her own and never for any reason would she have turned her back on one of us.  To this day she is there for us no matter what we do, even for the sister addicted to alcohol.  That is what he signed up for when he adopted them.  Not to run off with a "new" family when the going got a little rough.  Wake up and get real.  We are talking about two girls, not two dogs thatcan just be thrown away.

December 4, 2006, 12:13 pm CST

My dad has been addicted to crack since i was in forth grade. it has ruined our who lives. i know that the addiction takes over your life and it takes over your sense of judgement. i am now 3 months pregnant with my 3rd child. after i had my first daughter they told me i couldnt have kids anymore because of a complication. after i had my second daughter i had a miscarriage. in saying that, it makes me sick to my stomach to see a woman who is 6 months pregnant and addicted to drugs. i know that i could never truly understand how addicting something can be, but she should be grateful that she can get pregnant, and she should be worried about that unborn baby. she needs to pray to God that there will be nothing wrong with her baby. i cant believe how selfish someone could be....

December 4, 2006, 12:15 pm CST

wow that is incorrect she has only failed when she has to bury one of them>

Quote From: beachloverfl

What totally amazes me...................the mother.......these girls are HER responsibility........HER number one job..........HER number one concern...........HER number one priority...........when we decide to have children........we as parents have taken on a new job a new responsibilty.............The mother has NOT done this.............she has failed as so many parents have in this country.............

and now that dr phil has given her the chance to avoid the burrial, i think now they will be a family again as god would have them be, i look at this show as one hell of a wake up call for america,you never know who-when-where-or why this could happen to YOU<>

December 4, 2006, 12:17 pm CST

I am sorry but why does everyone seem to be referring to this man as the 'STEP-DAD".  Did he not legally adopt these girls?  Does that not make him the DAD?  He did let the girls make the choice.  But what did he do when he knew they were making the wrong one?  My mother raised four girls on her own and never for any reason would she have turned her back on one of us.  To this day she is there for us no matter what we do, even for the sister addicted to alcohol.  That is what he signed up for when he adopted them.  Not to run off with a "new" family when the going got a little rough.  Wake up and get real.  We are talking about two girls, not two dogs thatcan just be thrown away.

December 4, 2006, 12:20 pm CST

IN ALL YOUR CHOICES OF THE WORST WHY COULDNT YOU LOOK FOR THE BETTER?

Quote From: new2unme

Thank God she's giving it up for adoption, and I will commend her on that. She could choose to keep the baby, draw a welfare check and then neglect the child. This may be the only responsibel choice she's ever made.
she could come out of rehab a mother,and find a job to support her child and give her mom a grandchild to love as well,it is always better for a child to be raised by there real mother, you dont seem to have much faith in people,people can change,<

December 4, 2006, 12:26 pm CST

wanting to

My mom is an addict too. She has been in jail and rehab nothing works. She also worked on the streets for money for a hit. No showers, always dirty, I know what they are going through but only through my mother. I know you have to have hope, but nothing ever worked for my mom, I was always hurt. The thing is you have to want to do it, make new friends, and have support. Mainly no matter what if you dont want to then there is no hope for you. Many times I paid the bills and went to school and did the best I could but I was only 16 and couldnt do it all without an adult. I learned simply, I learned how not to be from both of my parents, and they never wanted to get clean, so if these girls really want to they will. Thank god for DrPhils help!!! Ashley age 21

December 4, 2006, 12:32 pm CST

once the twins learn about the addiction genes i trust they will then understand why they can never ever use again>

Quote From: new2unme

Scientific it is, and I agree with the study, however we all have some sort of demon living in us, and it is our responsibility to take control of that demon. What about the behavioral study? I agree it may put one at higher risk if they have the gene, however ultimately it is our choice to decide our destiny and path. I am not saying this does not take on part of the desire to use, but I feel it is wrong to place blame. The girls have been given an opportunity by Dr. Phil to change their past, and if they do not chose a new path..........who then to blame?
if addicts dont understand this they tell themselvs well its ok if i have a beer just as the twin did with her mother! beer isnt ok to a addict, it is infact a trigger to the addiction,as it proved for her after drinking she went out and acored her self a fix of herion, see my point?if the twin knew what a beer was going to leed to i dont think she would have drank it to start with,her mother needs to learn about this as well,and remove all triggers for the twins completely or they will relapse over and over, and scense ive been clean for over 10 years now i think i can tell you that getting rid of the triggers will have to be done,its the only way,once all this has been astablashed then the way a addict thinks can be changed{,1 day at a time} it wont happen over night there is no cure pill for addiction, as for wearher the twins will chouse the wright path ? looks like to me there one step ahead of you there, they already went there seprate ways,now the healing will begin<>

December 4, 2006, 12:55 pm CST

I AGREE!

Quote From: afraid

she could come out of rehab a mother,and find a job to support her child and give her mom a grandchild to love as well,it is always better for a child to be raised by there real mother, you dont seem to have much faith in people,people can change,<

I agree with you 100%. I am hopeful she will get clean and sober and realize she can have a very special life with that baby. She already lost a 2 year old to it's biological father. This is a chance to love her new baby and get back a relationship with her 2 yr old. ALL PEOPLE grow up wishing they were in some type of relationship with their MOM. (and dad). And people do change!! Nicky

December 4, 2006, 12:57 pm CST

Im not sure of a title

My sister and her husband are heroin addicts.  I really dont understand the drug itself.  I have been trying to read everything I can about it. 

People have choices to make good, bad, whatever, but once you make that choice there is no going back, only forward.  For whatever reason u start, there is no excuse but its very difficult to get off of.

As someone posted they can only make that choice for themselves to get clean and stay clean.  Yes, there can be an intervention but who is to say once they are done they wont got back to it?  My sister and her husband have been through rehab several times and some were suppose to be the best in the country.  But once again they went back.  I think they are enabling them selves but until they realize this they will keep using.

I just dont want to wait until its too late and have to attend a funeral.  

They say they are clean but sometimes im not so sure.    I just dont know how to help them.

I am greatful for Dr. Phil for helping these girls and I just hope they know its going to be a long recovery.  I wish them the best of luck and I will pray for them while im praying for my family.  God Bless you both.

December 4, 2006, 1:01 pm CST

What about the mother?

Maybe I am the only one, but I TOTALLY understand protecting one's child from bad influences. The fact that these girls got each other involved in drugs supports Perry's difficult decision to not allow them into their lives out of concern for their other daughter. I would have done the same thing. As unfortunate and painful as it is, I am sure these girls (once they sober up) would do the same thing for their own future children. Everyone knows that when someone is an addict the last thing they are thinking about is the safety and concern of other people. I am curious as to why Perry is taking the hardest hit in the blame for the road gone wrong. What about this mother who STILL doesn't have common sense figured out. She is toxic! I know PLENTY of children of divorce and especially where one parent choses to lose contact. Sure there are scars that come with that, but not everyone becomes a drug addict. Where is your heavy hammer with the mother Dr. Phil? This mother seems to be the common denominator. Regardless of how life has dealt these poor girls a hard blow, THEY need to take responsibility for sticking the needle in their arm. At one point, one of the girls said to Perry, "we wouldn't have gone down this road if you were around...." Sounds to me like this is something they heard from their mother. Enough already, they are old enough to know better than that. There comes a time when one has to take responsibility. I am so angry with this mother and disapointed in you Dr. Phil that you have not been tougher with her. Laurie in NJ

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last