Message Boards

Topic : 12/04 Heroin Twins: The Intervention, Part 3

Number of Replies: 402
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 01, 2006, 03:19:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with twin sisters who are addicted to heroin and crack cocaine and were spiraling out of control. A few days into her detox, Sarah begins to emerge from her haze of drug use and painful withdrawal symptoms. Is she committed to the work involved with getting clean? Dr. Phil questions their mother, Cindy, about her own history of alcohol use and how she is sabotaging Tecoa’s sobriety and the health of her unborn baby. Then, Dr. Phil tracks down the sisters’ long-lost stepfather, Perry. They say his disappearance from their lives played a significant role toward their decline into drug use and prostitution. How does Perry explain his absence from their lives, and does his appearance bring closure for Sarah and Tecoa? As the twins begin to take their first steps toward a new life, Dr. Phil informs them that their paths of sobriety will be separate. Will they agree to go to different rehab centers to learn how to stand on their own two feet? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 4, 2006, 6:16 am CST

I know Cindy, Sarah, Tecoa and Perry

I have submitted two messages, haven't seen them posted.  I just want to say that I am personally acquainted with Cindy, Sarah, Tecoa and Perry, and feel so sad that this has happened to them, and that the girls got addicted to drugs.  My heart goes out to them all.  I would like to be able to contact them and keep in touch with them.  Cindy was stationed here in  Mississippi, when the girls were born.  The girls had the same babysitter that my daughter had.  We were all friends and socialized together.  I am so glad they had this opportunity to have an intervention.  Nothing worse than living in fear that your child/children could end up dead.  I lost my own son 12 years ago to an alcohol related accident.  Five years prior to his death, he was in rehab for drugs, and had been doing fairly well.  He was able to stay off 'hard' drugs, but would slip into using alcohol.  I blame myself, for not having set a better example, but did stop my own social drinking when he went into rehab.  My daughter has 'dabbled' in using ectasy, but had stopped, and very seldom drinks, but it is still a concern.  If at all possible, Cindy get in touch.  I'm praying for you.  CanCan

December 4, 2006, 6:43 am CST

I know,I know

I was watching and identifying with these twins, although I am not a heroin addict, I am a recovering alcoholic now sober just over 3 years. The girls brought me to tears, as do all these shows where someone is addicted to some substance or another. I was taught early on in my sobriety to look for the similarities, not the differences;that is how I can identify. Dr. Phil...right on and God bless you for what you are doing within your power to help these girls. I am praying for them.Thank you Dr. Phil for caring...
Some people don't want to be bothered with people like us,but not you...

December 4, 2006, 6:50 am CST

A tough road

These two little ones have a tough road ahead...and they will have to make some tough decisions, even if it means having to be seperated. But if they can realize that they are literally fighting for their lives, and for the life of the twins unborn baby,maybe they will be willing...I drank for over 20 years, and they are on the same mad merry go round that I was on.I feel their pain, their anger and their frustrations,I had alot of them myself.  One Day At A Time...that's how they will make it...God willing.

December 4, 2006, 7:15 am CST

thank you for sharing this

Quote From: jonsmomkk

My heart goes out to the unborn child that the one twin is carrying.  It saddens and angers me that she should be allowed to harm that baby as she is doing.  This child will no doubt be born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and drug addiction.  Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) and Fetal Alcohol Effect (FAE) are the ONLY birth defects that can be totally prevented.  My husband and I have done a lot of research on the subject while we were taking classes to prepare us for High Risk foster care. 

My husband and I adopted the first high risk child that we cared for.  He came to us at 5 months old with FAS and drug addiction.  We were told that he had FAS but really didn't know how involved he actually was.  He is autistic, ADHD, has mild CP, microcephally, brain atrophy, left side hemiperisis, dysphagia, g-tube, apraxia, and global developmental delays with his speech being the most affected. (This is only a partial list)  He is 17yrs old now and functions at approximately 3-4 yrs of age.

Our son has many problems, is on several medications to help him control his behaviors and aggressions.   He will never be able to care for himself and with his aggressions and strength, his dad and I won't be able to keep him with us for long.   We have never had respite care for him and he has been with us except for his hospitalizations.  (we do have 3 older boys who have helped out when they could) I am out of my mind with worry over where he will live or who will care for him when we no longer can.  Anyone could take advantage of him and he wouldn't understand. 

Just thinking of the life that poor baby might live just breaks my heart.  I wish there were some way to make these girls care about what they are doing to their unborn children.  I can only pray.

i posted earlier about how much it also breaks my heart to see the abuse that Tecoa is putting on her unborn infant....i adopted a son who was born addicted to opiates.  he was premature and had to go through detox at birth.  luckily, the only lasting effects from it that we can observe so far are that he is small for his age and is quite hyperactive.  however, it could have been much worse and so when i hear stories like this one, i get very angry at "mothers" like this who abuse their children before they are even born! 

thank you for sharing your story.  maybe Tecoa will read it and it will hit home and help to wake her up.  at least, i pray that it does!

December 4, 2006, 7:45 am CST

The H twins

Quote From: carolenieto

I was watching and identifying with these twins, although I am not a heroin addict, I am a recovering alcoholic now sober just over 3 years. The girls brought me to tears, as do all these shows where someone is addicted to some substance or another. I was taught early on in my sobriety to look for the similarities, not the differences;that is how I can identify. Dr. Phil...right on and God bless you for what you are doing within your power to help these girls. I am praying for them.Thank you Dr. Phil for caring...
Some people don't want to be bothered with people like us,but not you...

I've always had an issue with the addiction factor. While some become addicted I think it is a choice at some point that people choose to do drugs or alcohol, and ruin their lives.

I think Dr. Phil is a little hard on the step father, I don't blame him.

. How is this man, the step dad,  at fault for their choices? How is he the cause of their injecting junk into their body. Their choices are theirs, not his.

I was abused as badly as anyone could be from 5 until I was 13, in every way a girl can be abused, but I never chose drugs or alcohol. It takes a choice, a wrong choice in their case. I feel the step Father did the right thing. Their biological Mother is the real cause, she created their addiction, and doesn't seem to be much of a Mom. ..from her own tendencies, and habits.

I wouldn't want them near my kids either. Their own Mom is as bad as they are.

Perhaps it sounds cold, but they need to show they are clean and sober and warrant trust around the other child..( step fathers child). I don't have any sympathy for junkies and the one sounds drunk with the slurred speach, what is that about?

If I had to protect another child from one who made bad choices I would make the same choices he did, biology or not.

December 4, 2006, 8:01 am CST

you can put this detox up on myspace

Quote From: hairkutt

go to www.itstoghtogetoffdrugs.com there is footage of ral cold tukey heroin detox, or got to youtube.com and do a serch for heroin detox, the footage from the documentary HairKuTT is there it is a real lif cold tukey detox much more graphic than the twins.

five minute cold turkey heroin detox  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3183CV2JfE

60 second clip    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ6YJqBJNgk

30 second  clip   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D336L6CeAdE

feel free to use these clips, my intention is to show this documentary and its pain to young people to help educate them so that they wont make the same mistakes that HairKUTT made.    You can respond to me at www.itstoughtogetoffdrugs.com

December 4, 2006, 8:02 am CST

way to go dr phil

you have given the twins a new set of wings to carry them to freedom from a evil demon, i wish them well on there new journey

December 4, 2006, 8:08 am CST

Twins

I just wanted to let the twins know that even though I do not know them personally,  I think about them often and pray for them. Little do they know, not only do they have a great support team from Dr. Phil, but the viewers watching also support them 100%! Yes, they made wrong choices, but who living has never made a poor choice? We learn and grow more from hardships in our lives than anything! What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger! I will continue to pray for them and will be keeping up with there progress! I see great things in the future for them! They truly are special girls in my eyes!! Hold your heads high girls and be proud of what you have become!! Lots of love and prayers!!

December 4, 2006, 8:18 am CST

The unborn babies

Quote From: draven

i posted earlier about how much it also breaks my heart to see the abuse that Tecoa is putting on her unborn infant....i adopted a son who was born addicted to opiates.  he was premature and had to go through detox at birth.  luckily, the only lasting effects from it that we can observe so far are that he is small for his age and is quite hyperactive.  however, it could have been much worse and so when i hear stories like this one, i get very angry at "mothers" like this who abuse their children before they are even born! 

thank you for sharing your story.  maybe Tecoa will read it and it will hit home and help to wake her up.  at least, i pray that it does!

I agree with you!!

This is one of the reasons why society must and does allow abortion, sorry to say it but this woman shouldn't have allowed the pregnancy to go this far. She should have gotten an abortion early on knowing she is an addict. Better yet get sterilized before hand especially if she is a prostitute now too!!

To put an innocent infant through this is horrendous and I think the Mother  ( pregnant girl on drugs) should be jailed period for child abuse, and made to go cold turkey.  The baby be taken and given to a couple that will help it live a better life minus the drunk grandmother and the addicted Mom and "aunt" ( sister).

This poor baby will need all the care it can get and this Mother is not qualified, not bright enough to keep her own head on straight. Must this baby also be used to keep her straight too, or will this baby suffer when she relapses or uses again later as most do?

It makes me sick to see this happen to an infant, all because the Mother chose drugs and then chose pregnancy too. How selfish of her. What was the twins Mother thinking to allow this to go on? Why not confine the twins and make them get off drugs, if only to save her grandchild who hasn't been born yet?

It's hard for me to have sympathy for addicts, as I grew up with an alcoholic Mother. Their selfishness is always more important then any infant or child, and no child deserves this. This is why we once  had  Eugenics Laws, in this country, and while those laws were abused, not everyone should be a mother. Certainly giving birth does not make a woman a mother, never mind a mom.

My heart goes out to the baby, but these twins made their choices. Their Mom encourages them to blame the step father, not their choices?? True drunk thinking on her part, not to accept blame for her part in their addiction, and to blame the step father is wrong. I wouldn't want them around like that either, until they have been clean and sober and show they are safe! They could be a negative impression on the half sister of the step dad, both by their addiction, their immoral behavior ( another choice) and their denial in how this was their choice not any one elses all the way here!

December 4, 2006, 8:22 am CST

herion recovery

let me give the twins abit of hope. my mother was addicted to herion for 10 yrs. us kids never went without but we knew she need help. we moved from california to oklahoma so my mom could get clean the first 5 wks were hell for her but she did it and has now been clean for 14 yrs. today . i believe if you put your mind to it you can do it. but if you don't want help then no one can help for the twin that is pregnant when you feel that child kick and move inside you know that is your reason being a mom is hard i won't lie to know one. but i was a crank addicted for the first 17 months of my oldest daughters life you miss so much. a child shows you the love no-one else can show you not the pipe in your mouth, needle in your arm, or any man or mom for that matter. children show you what the definition of uncondisional love is. i have been clean for 2 yrs. and when i think about my days as an addict it makes my stomach turn. as for the twin that is struggling so hard it does get easier but have to take life one day at a time you can do this.  you are beatiful but you have made yourself ugly to return to the beatiful you you must make you beatiful on the inside. to do that you have to get clean. i would like to be your support out here .

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last